Current Cosleeping Mommas... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you are currently cosleeping with a LO, what are your plans for when the new babe comes along? Will you transition out of the bed soon? If so, to a bed in the same room, or their own room? Anyone have experience with this?

We have cosleep with  DS since the day he came home. He took a total of one nap every in a crib. DS is 18 months and naps in his own toddler bed in our bedroom, but at night sleeps with us in our bed. He's starting to roll and bed hog already, and frankly, I would like to try and get him into his own bed for at least some/most of the night.

I am planning on night weaning in about 2 weeks after he finishes with these last teeth busting through. Then will most likely see how sleep goes continues from there on. Then most likely come the early summer I think we will work on really getting him to sleep as full time in his own bed as we can.

What I am unsure of is putting him in his own room. I am afraid that will be pushing him too much and we'll suffer regressions in our sleep accomplishments and that would seriously stink for us all. But on the other hand, I am nervous about if we allow him to sleep in our room(on his own bed) and we cosleep with the new baby will DS constantly be woken up by the baby cries? I am thinking this over and over, and just can't figure out what to do!

Any suggestions, ideas,  or tales of experience welcome!

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 02-20-2011, 06:48 PM

We put our DD's bed perpendicular at the bottom of our bed, so that she still felt close.She really enjoyed sprawling out in her own bed. We don't have much space in our room, but it worked really well. Then, when she was teething or having a bad night, I could sleep with my head at the end of my bed and hold her hand without having to go to another room. We have now transitioned her into her own room. Most nights she stays in her room, so it is working, and we have many more months for her to really get used to her new room.

Birth Doula and SAHM to DHpartners.gif 9/02,    cat.gif8/04, DDdust.gif3/08   goorganic.jpg  winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif hoping forhomebirth.jpg 10/11

#3 of 23 Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM

we live in a tiny apartment (550sf, 2 rooms) and currently DS(6) sleeps on a floor mattress which we store under our bed during the day, and DD(21m) sleeps with us and still night nurses some. I am hoping that around her 2nd birthday (late April) I can transition DD to a small floor mat next to me, and then if/when she stops night nursing (hoping she does on her own relatively soon!) I will try to get her to sleep next to brother.

We'll all 5 of us be in a room together. Don't anticipate being able to move to a bigger place until the new baby is about 8-10mo unless something magical happens with DH's work situation, since this pregnancy pretty much rules out me working next year. So, I just hope s/he is not a night-screamer! (the other two weren't... but maybe I'll get my comeuppance... sigh). We are currently making a daybed/couch in the LR, so in a pinch someone could sleep there.

We transitioned DS into his own bed years before DD was born, but right until a few weeks before the birth, he still frequently climbed in with us. I was so relieved that he stopped doing that right in time.

dissertating mom to three

#4 of 23 Old 02-20-2011, 07:14 PM

We're planning on getting dd to sleep in a different room.  I think she's ready, though I never anticipated it being this soon.  She sleeps through the night most nights.  I'm just waiting for ambition to strike....ha maybe in the 2nd trimester, then we'll move her!

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#5 of 23 Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 PM

My 2yo son has slept with us on and off full-time or part-time for his whole life, but in the last few weeks we moved him to his own toddler bed in his own room.  Before that, he refused to sleep anywhere but our bed for months.  Now, he does fall asleep in his bed (and actually is really excited to have his own bed), but comes to our room part way through the night.  I'm hoping we can figure out a way to help him STTN or at least fall back asleep on his own before the new baby comes.  I'm not sure how we'll do it, but I'd really like to only have 1 nightwaker at a time.

To the OP, I would probably work on getting him to sleep in his toddler bed at night, like he does for naps, first, and then move him to his own room.   I have the same worries as you about my DS and the new baby waking each other up all night long.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#6 of 23 Old 02-20-2011, 09:28 PM

We've got 3 kids already, and live in a 2br apartment.  My youngest son (turning 3 in April), has had a twin bed next to our bed all this time, but just this weekend we decided there simply wouldn't be room for him AND a baby in our bedroom, and now would be the best time to work on transitioning.  So we moved our bedroom to the smaller 2nd bedroom, and put all 3 of our kids in the master bedroom.  So far, DS has come into our bed once a night when he wakes up, but last night DH was able to go lay him back in his bed, and stay with him for just a couple minutes, and he stayed in his own bed until morning. 

In the past, we had our 2nd child co-sleeping on the floor next to our bed when he was 2 years old and became pregnant again.  At that point we decided to move him in with his sister.  That was a rougher time - he may have been a little unready for it, and we had to work hard to keep him in his room at bedtime.  But eventually, he got used to it.  The strange thing was that both he and our daughter started squeezing into bed with us however they could in the early morning hours.  It was just not going to work with a baby in there, too.  So, we got our hands on another twin mattress and cheap frame, and put it next to ours.  Then, when they came in, they had a designated spot to be, and stopped squeezing into our bed and threatening the space where the baby would be.  That set-up lasted a good 18 months before we moved and decided not to keep the extra twin bed in our room.  It only took a few nights before those two stopped joining us in our bed. 

Since DS will be 3 1/2 years old when this baby is born, and has two older siblings to share a room with, I'm hoping to see him either start staying in his own bed all night, or hop in bed with big sister or big brother if he wakes up in the middle of the night.  I'm not positive it will happen, but that's my hope.  He has his same bed he's been using in our room, it's just in a new spot, and he seems really happy to be with the big kids.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#7 of 23 Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 PM

We have 2 in our bed right now(4yo and 1 yo) and I am working on gently transitioning them now. They have a bed in their room that is big enough for me to sleep on with them, so I start out the night co-sleeping then head to my bed after I wake up in the middle of the night lol.The goal is to have them able to fall asleep on their own in there by Sept. Co sleeping with a toddler and a newborn has been fine for me in the past. Brian gets his half of the bed, the toddler sleeps against my back and the baby is in the crook of my arm. Sometimes there is even a 6yo who likes to crawl in there and sleep across my legs which is none too comfortable but oh so sweet lol.

Good luck with however you do it. I know it is cliche but it is so true that these sweet moments are grown out of too fast!(says the very emotional mama)

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#8 of 23 Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 AM

when I was pg with dd we bought a Kingsize bed!!!!! when she was born (the mat and box are on the floor and pushed into the wall) hubby on the outside then our 2 year old, me and baby by the wall...we used a cosleeper that lays on top of the bed for dd.

fro ds i tried side carring his crib for a while, but neither of us liked it..

ds has a double bed in his own room now and he likes to sleep there as long as mom or dad is with him.

when #3 gets here...we might just get ds a single and put it in our room.

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#9 of 23 Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

We've been sleeping with dd between us since the day she was born!  But, in hopes of sanity all around, we just bought her a toddler bed off Craigslist.  We let her choose it, she came to 'buy' it, she helped put it together, she picked out new sheets and a duvet.  We've put it beside our bed (I would rather have a single, or twin, but we don't have the room) and she's very excited to go to sleep in it.  I still nurse her to sleep, so the downside is that I crawl in that little thing with her for stories and nursing.  The upside is that she spends a good portion of each night in her bed.  She goes to bed about 930pm and stays in her bed until 4 or 5 most days.  I hope she'll be in it full time or close to it by the time the baby comes! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#10 of 23 Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 AM

Well, right now we have a huge family bed. We have 2 queen size beds pushed together. My plan is to buy another bed (king size) and put it on the other side of the room (we have a huge bedroom) that way when the new baby comes I will be in the new bed with him/her and  dh and the 3 girls can sleep on the 2 queen beds ;) I would like to get the new bed at the begining of the summer to start the transition.

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#11 of 23 Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I am jealous of all you Mommas with HUGE bedrooms. We have an antique house with bedrooms on the smaller side; and a master that is a very odd shape so we'll have to get creative if we want to put anything bigger than the toddler bed in there. We might be able to fit a single... I am thinking this over and over..

For those of you who did have a family bedroom in the past was the newborns cries when waking an issue? Did it wake up your older child?

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#12 of 23 Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Our bedroom is literally wall to wall bed. We have a twin next to our king. DD starts the night in the twin and crawls in next to me around 1am every night. We will work on night weaning her in the next few weeks and keeping her in her own bed for the whole night. I'm hoping we can get to a point where she'll stay in there till around 7am before coming in the big bed for snuggles. We are usually up between 7:30 and 8 every morning. I'm just glad we have months to work this out!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#13 of 23 Old 02-21-2011, 06:13 PM

It did not seem to bother my son much at all... He was 2 1/2 when dd was born..

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#14 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 07:35 AM

DD2 (will be 3 in April) still sleeps in our room, but has been in her own crib next to my side of the bed for about a year now. Some time this summer we will purchase bunk beds and room her in with her 5 year old sister. Hoping to do this well before the new baby arrives, so she won't feel like she is being sent away because of the new addition. I can only imagine the mayhem that will ensue with the three year old and the five year old "sleeping" in the same room lol. rolleyes.gif

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#15 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 09:59 AM
~pi

DS (4yo) is still in bed with us most nights. This might be partly because we end up using his bed (next to ours) as the clean laundry dumping location ...

We will need to figure this out, probably over the summer. Two adults, a sprawly kid and a baby will not fit easily on a Queen. My guess is that we will get DS sleeping in his bed and also get a crib. We didn't use a crib for DS, but I think we will try a crib in our room for this babe and see how it goes.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#16 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 PM

Our 18mo DD has been in our bed since day one.  We tried a sidecar when she was small, and we tried a small port-a-crib about three feet away from our bed, but she didn't like either of those.  (I think because she could hear us sleeping snoring and couldn't get to us.)  We went for a child-free night on Valentine's Day -- the first time since her birth -- and decided to encourage her to begin sleeping some in the crib set up in her sister's room.  The first few nights, she did great -- slept five hours or so before crying to come back to our bed.  Each day, though, she sleeps in that crib less and less.  We always rock her to sleep, but tonight, no matter how deeply she seemed to be sleeping, she'd stand and cry each and every time my husband would lay her down in that crib.  He gave up and she's sleeping in our bed right now.

I really do hope to move her soon.  I love cosleeping, but our DD is a BED HOG.  No matter how many times we turn her, she always sleeps sideways across our king-sized bed.  I'm hopeful and anticipating a very long, very hot, very uncomfortable pregnancy and I'd really rather not have some little toddler kicking me in the face all night long -- I don't care how cute she is.  :)

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#17 of 23 Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 AM

both my kiddos sleep sideways...lol we end up with their legs on top of our faces alot!!

so glad we bought a king size before dd was born!!

when the new baby gets here dh will probably sleep with the 2 kids in the king size and I will sleep with the baby in the double....

it is nice-dd is 18mos and big enough to sleep next to big brother, who is a super cuddler....love to see them cuddled up at night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by famille_huggins View Post

I love cosleeping, but our DD is a BED HOG.  No matter how many times we turn her, she always sleeps sideways across our king-sized bed.  I'm hopeful and anticipating a very long, very hot, very uncomfortable pregnancy and I'd really rather not have some little toddler kicking me in the face all night long -- I don't care how cute she is.  :)

#18 of 23 Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 AM

It is so good to read all your replies. We are co-sleeping and I'm still night nursing. I have been wondering how we are going to work with this, since we will have a 19m old when the new one arrives. We are adding a small room onto our small cabin for a bed and a little playroom and it will be 8 feet wide. We are going to put the platform bed a few inches above the ground and next to it we will make a soft bed/cushion right on the ground and hopefully the now 11m old will start sleeping there most of the night before the little one arrives.

The 11month old is really getting to be a bed hog, rolling around and I'm finding I am waking up to feet in my face much too often. He might be happier in his own pseudo space.

radical homemaking/living, homesteading, organic gardening, open minded mama to two amazing little ones 3/2010 and 9/2011 and expecting #3!!!! 5/2013.

#19 of 23 Old 03-10-2011, 05:27 PM

Well, this is the this will be the 4th time moving a little one out of the bed for the baby and it has usually worked well. I do it when I'm about 8 months pregnant and weaning them (usually 8 months because I get too claustrophobic at that time already being invaded in utero). We get them all excited to get to sleep in their own big boy/girl bed in the boys/girls room a few days before the move. I do have to sorta lay on their toddler bed until they fall asleep for a couple weeks, but then it's all good. Most of them were super excited, except for the last little guy. He does still make some appearances in our room, maybe three times a month. But the other nights he will even put himself to bed if he's tired early. Hope that helps.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#20 of 23 Old 03-12-2011, 01:21 AM

We cosleep with our two year old.  Well, we transitioned to a separate bed but it's still next to our bed.  DH swears with this one on the way, there is no more room in our bed for another child.  It's a bone of contention with us but I'm trying not to think about it now.  I figure I have enough to worry about before then.  So far the sleeping arrangements work for me so I'm not to concerned.  I know this may/will change as the pregnancy progresses and when the baby comes.

signcirc1.giffly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif

Proud mom of an inquisitive, breastfeeding, babywearing, cosleeping 9 month old boy and a talkative curious 4 year old girl.

#21 of 23 Old 03-12-2011, 10:31 AM

Well, we tried for a few weeks to get DS to sleep in his bed all night, which entailed one of us sitting with him in his room until he fell back asleep each time he woke up.  He started waking up more and more and more,and none of us were getting any sleep.  So last night we decided to to go back to what we were doing before, which was having him start the night in his room and then come to our bed later in the night.  OMG it was great!!!

I guess he's just not ready yet. We'll try again in a couple of months.  I really do worry about having enough space once my belly gets big.  Last time, I used so many pillows around me there's no way we'd have room for all those pillows and a 2.5 year old in our queen bed.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#22 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 AM

We have DSs toddler mattress on the floor next to our bed so he starts out in his bed then sometimes ends up in our bed in the early morning....we were doing better with him sleeping the whole night in his bed but I was getting nighttime MS so I just didn't want to sleep on the floor with him for 30' to get him back to sleep.  Once I start feeling closer to 100% we'll go back to him staying him staying in his bed then transition him to his room.  I think he'll sleep better in there than in our room with a newbie waking every two hours :).

I hope to work on him staying in his bed again later this month then to transition to his room in mid-late Spring. I do love having him close by but I know I'll need more restful sleep as the pregnancy goes on.

Oh and I weaned DS in December so we are not nursing now.

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#23 of 23 Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 AM

We have a sidecar crib for DS and for the new baby we are going to side car another crib on the other side. Here is a video of our current setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqpbSoqvbQ

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page