BIG TIME TMI TOPIC... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-25-2011, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, so this is my second pregnancy.  I'm currently living in Brazil and it is the rainy season here.  Just before I found out I was preggo I started hearing about worms and how we should be "deworming" every 6 months while living here.  Anyway, I'm now preggo and having terrible intestinal problems.  I'm up at 3 in the morning every moring with loose stool.  I have such terrible bloating that my belly gets distended and painful.  I never experienced this with my first, if anything I had constipation with that pregnancy.  I've been here 2 years and this was the first I heard that I should be deworming.  I know this is a bit of an odd topic but any advice or experience would be appreciated.  I'm wondering if I had something and it is being aggrevated with the pregnancy.  

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#2 of 8 Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 AM

That's possible, but it's also just possible that you are getting irritable bowel syndrome with your pregnancy.  My sister did, I think it's pretty common, although maybe not as common as constipation.  From what I hear, you shouldn't expect it to be the same as your first pregnancy.

Most dewormers that I know of (for humans AND for animals) are not recommended during pregnancy, as most of them are a low dose of poison, enough to affect the parasites but not the host.  I wouldn't risk taking any of those during pregnancy.  I know in goats (sorry, but it's what I know) there is at least one dewormer considered safe for pregnancy, but our threshold for birth defects and pregnancy complications in goats is higher than in humans!

If you really think it might be a parasite, I would go to a doctor and get a stool sample checked, but it doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me.

It also might make you feel better to know that even in Canada/the US, apparently people have a lot of intestinal parasites . . . something like 80% of the population, if I remember correctly (which I might not).  They don't cause enough trouble for people to be willing to go to the doctor, and there's no regular screening.  I have to admit, though, that the parasites in Brazil seem likely to be worse than the ones here.

Whatever it is, I hope you feel better soon!

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#3 of 8 Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 AM

There are options that you could check into.....eating raw garlic (like chewing and eating the freshly peeled clove) diatomatous (did I spell that right?) earth.

I don't know the safety during pregnancy but you could research it. Clove, wormwood, black walnut....all could be checked for safety during pregnancy.

We had a roundworm issue and our ND / MD, had my daughter take the DE on an empty stomach and the garlic 30 min later. That worked for her.

Again - I know these are less of an issue than chemicals but that still doesn't make them safe to take during pregnancy.

Fwiw we use the DE to control worms in our goats, pigs and cattle. It's worked 100% for us (and my daughter didn't get them from our animals)

#4 of 8 Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 AM

I'm eight weeks pregnant and also having all the problems you're speaking of. I have loose stool sometimes, constipation and belly pain...so much so that I've had to be put on pain killers by my family doctor. I have IBS, and they're also thinking I may have Crohn's disease. If you're having serious belly pain, just know you're not alone...I'd find it hard to believe it's a worm problem? I agree with the person that said you may be developing IBS. This isn't tmi at all, hope you feel better soon!

#5 of 8 Old 02-27-2011, 04:49 PM
~pi

I lived in Bolivia for a while, and, shortly after arriving, got extremely sick. (Note to self: When offered chicha, take the alcoholic kind. I mistakenly drank the non-alcoholic version and was so incredibly miserable. It was as if my body held an emergency exit drill: Get out, get out! Any direction you can!)

I wasn't pregnant at the time, so it wasn't as much of a concern, but I just waited it out for a few days, and then I got better. I took rehydration salts the first day or two, and was pretty wobbly for a few days after that, but then I was fine. (And ever since, I can eat ANYTHING and not get sick.)

For what it's worth, I had been advised to seek medical attention if:

- a GI illness lasts for longer than four days,

- there are signs of dehydration that do not go away with rehydration salts, or

- it comes back repeatedly.

I suspect that dehydration is a more urgent concern for pregnancy, so that would be something I would be careful about.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#6 of 8 Old 02-27-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Update.  Thank you all for these replies!  I am still having trouble and this weekend running a low fever between 99.5 and 100.  Yesterday I slept all day pretty much.  My husband was sick with either a virus or bacteria a few weeks ago and my midwife suggested that maybe my body is holding on to it due to being preggo and immune suppressed.  I'm waiting until tomorrow but if there is still no improvement I'll go to the hospital tomorrow for some bloodwork and stool check.  I really hope it is just IBS b/c the thought of having to take any medication makes me worry. 

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#7 of 8 Old 02-27-2011, 05:30 PM

I had a horrible time with diarrhea & stomach cramping/pain during my first pregnancy. I had all the stool samples/celiac panel/etc. and at the time was diagnosed with microscopic colitis (a later test when I wasn't having symptoms came back negative).  Taking probiotics helped me immensely.  I ate yogurt every day for a while, and if I had to travel I took probifidia pearls (don't have to be refrigerated).  I've had a few flare ups since the pregnancy, and probiotics really help. 

#8 of 8 Old 02-27-2011, 05:43 PM

The Bulk Herb Store just put out an article on deworming naturally.  I don't think she mentioned if you could do it preg, but if you email/call her I'm sure she would reply.

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/articles/youve-got-worms?id=xAeDpsch 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page