Weekly Chat: 2/28-3/5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This time I checked and there isn't one for this week! winky.gif

Up until this weekend I'd been feeling pretty good but exhausted. Well now I'm exhausted and feel terrible. Ugh. It is so hard to keep up with my 2 yo feeling like this. We are also in the process of night weaning. I know that ultimately I'm likely to get more sleep as a result but not last night... it was a rough one. It's going to be a Pooh Bear on the couch kind of morning until I can get us motivated to get out of the house for a bit today.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 12:15 PM

8w today and feeling awesome! Well, in comparison to the last two weeks of "I HATE BEING PREGNANT! THIS SUCKS." lol

I slept a ton this weekend, my nausea only made a few brief appearances, and I just feel a lot more in control than I have for the past few weeks. Also, I've only gained 2lbs since finding out I was pregnant 4+ weeks ago, so I'm pretty happy about that, too.

Although, I did cave in majorly to some junk food cravings over the weekend. I try to boycott McDonald's, and did so successfully for 22 months before getting together with DH. I was just wrapping up two months Mickey D's free when I caved and had the best $&@%#* chicken mcnuggets of my LIFE last night. However, I am back to junk food sounding terrible today, and am trying to pack in the fruit.

I need to buy new bras and pants though. Least favorite things to shop for EVER - I'm wondering how long I can put it off.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 PM

sooo tired here too..head cold..an 18 mos ols and a just turned 4 year old + the neighbours 14mos old (their baby sitter crapped out on her)

can not wait until dh gets home from work!

eta: just got some great mat clothes from free cycle...what a blessing!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM

Hello ladies! Just popping in for my favorite quote of the day. DS's teachers and I are all friendly. His main teacher I talk to almost every day, about pretty much everything (including our personal lives). Yeah, weird, I know. But when you hang out at the school as much as I do (ds has autism so they are constantly calling me to come and deal with him) you get friendly with everyone winky.gif Anyway, I told ds's teacher today that I'm pregnant (well, sorta, I gave the ultrasound picture to ds and he showed it to her). She was excited and then here's the conversation that followed....

Teacher- "how many weeks are you"

Me- "I'll be 8 weeks on Wednesday"

Teacher- "Oh, cool. Wait..... how many weeks have you been married??"

Me- "About 8 1/2 weeks on Wednesday"

Teacher- "Wow, you two didn't waste any time, did you?"

lol.gif

And then, of course, one of ds's other teachers found out (the room is a huge combined 1st and 2nd grade room with just a partial divider between, ds is with 1 teacher the majority of the day and the other teacher for part of the afternoon). The other teacher was excited as well (like I said, we're all close.... I even come in and eat lunch with them sometimes lol.gif ) and before long I had about 40 1st and 2nd graders asking to see the picture and asking ds all sorts of questions. LOL! DS's other teacher (his special ed teacher) already knows, I had to tell her because during one of ds's fits I was not retraining ds the same way I usually would (because I didn't want him on my stomach).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 02-28-2011, 02:38 PM

We had a good weekend.  DS turned one so we threw a party, which mostly went well.  I had a really bad day on Friday nausea-wise, but I did alright on the weekend.  

I had another miscarriage dream.  I never had these with DS.  They are very disturbing and I wish they'd go away.  I will be relieved when I am able to hear the heartbeat!  Today I feel quite nauseous, so I am taking that as a good sign.  

Tomorrow we are going to see a HB midwife.  Still not sure about our plans, but I want to talk to her about my experience last time.  

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

Old 02-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Steph, I'm 8 weeks today and have been married for... Almost 6 weeks. orngbiggrin.gif We conceived before we got married, and found out a week after.

I haven't had any comments yet, but i know my kid will be crunching the numbers someday. Haha

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:49 PM

I once calculated the time between my parents' anniversary and my birthday (6 mo), out loud, while sitting in front of my mother. I was probably about 15 by the time it occurred to me to do such a thing. And my mother's response was something like "That's right, Einstein." lol.gif
Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM

8 weeks today! That means this little sucker is 1/5th done. (Kinda.)

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

Steph, I'm 8 weeks today and have been married for... Almost 6 weeks. orngbiggrin.gif We conceived before we got married, and found out a week after.

I haven't had any comments yet, but i know my kid will be crunching the numbers someday. Haha

Maybe not..lol. It never occurred to me that my birthday was only 6 mo after my parents anniversary. On day when I was 12 my mom had to come and explain it to me because my grandma was in a panic because my 8 year old cousin had figured it out and my grandma was sure I would be devastated so she didn't want me to find out from my cousin. I was like so? I didn't see what the big deal was lol.

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 PM

Dp, at 29, figured out that his parents weren't married when he was conceived. Actually, I had to point it out to him (he was born in january, but due in february... His parents got married in july). Dont know why but he had never done the math until his mom was harping on him about us living together before we got married and how we were going to hell for that. That's when I explained to him that his mom was living in a glass house while throwing those stones.

And a cute story for tonight... I was getting ready to brush ds's teeth tonight when he gave me a big hug. I said to him "you are so sweet giving your mama a hug". He looked up at me with the most serious face and says "i'm not hugging you, i'm hugging my baby". Lol. Guess i'm just the carrier. Lol!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:18 AM

We broke the news to the girls this weekend (ages 7 and 4). The 7 yo wouldn't believe us and threatened to slap us silly til we told the truth, lol. She thought we were pulling a joke on her. I told them I'd bring them to my appointments. I'm amazed she remembers using the doppler at one of the appointments. Dd#1 wasn't quite three when that happened. It makes me so happy to know that dd#2 will now have an opportunity to go through and watch the pregnancy.

We also told our parents. All are about as shocked as we are. I think they're going to need time to process as well. All that is, except my mother who is simply over the moon. She's the one that dreamt I had a baby boy.

Haven't made any appointments yet. Our open house with the birth center is Monday night.

This is going to be a killer week between work and outside volunteer commitments. Last night, I had to sit through 4 hours of interviews for a school superintendent. Talk about killer. During each break I ran to my snack bag to eat something since this went from 5 to 9 pm. Had the pleasure of sitting next to a very, very sick person the entire night. I was washing my hands and being careful about touching my mouth because of it!

Question: Is there anything I can do today to protect myself from getting hit hard by the onslaught of germs I was hit with last night?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 AM

Don't know if anyone's ever noticed I have 2 kids both born almost 9 months to the day from dh's birthday!

Sorry for those who are feeling especially crummy this week (except also yay for the idea that this means things are going well, lol). Because I'm due way at the end of the month, I'm a few weeks behind many of you. Feeling impatient! Like the time is creeping by. I'm dreading the potential first tri symptoms, it was pretty bad w/my second.

We just made it through 2 birthday for my girls this week, so now that I have cleaned, hosted, shopped, baked, and generally celebrated them, I am ready to let myself be generally pooped for the next week!

I made an appt with the birth center I used before, for when I'm 8-9 weeks. I am actually really hoping to use a different midwife (homebirth CPM) this time, but I called them to get on the books anyway because it's hard to get appts and maybe I'll get a first checkup with them. DH is going to need some time to work on the idea of changing from the birth center. And it is a great place. But... well, basically, you have to drive there and drive home, lol.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 AM

My mom had a huge belly in the wedding photos. lol.gif Never bothered me. But, then again, my parents divorced when I was 3 so.. yea.

So, semi-recently I was vegan.. then veganish. I began eating cheese and some dairy. So, we'll say vegetarian. Now I'm eating fish. lol And it was sooooo good. Sheepish.gif What's with the labels anyway, right?

I cannot believe I'm almost 8 weeks! I don't see the midwife until next week and that will probably still be too early to hear the heartbeat, huh? Or no? I will be almost 9 weeks.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post

Question: Is there anything I can do today to protect myself from getting hit hard by the onslaught of germs I was hit with last night?

Maybe take some Emergen-C? Sorry, I'm not much help. I figure germs are a part of life so we very rarely do anything to really try and stop it.

And here's a tip for the day... when your nausea is finally starting to go away and you start feeling more human.... DO NOT, under any circumstance, jump up and down. The nausea will return and you'll only have yourself to blame. sick.gif  This tip has been brought to you by your crazy preggo.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 AM

Morning, ladies! Steph ROTFLMAO.gif you are too funny. Did it pass again, or are you still nauseated? In case of the latter, hugs!
AFM, I am still sick as a dog. Today is a little better than yesterday though, so yay for progress! It's been four days since I've had a cup of coffee, and just the thought of it makes me want to hurl. So odd... I used to be an absolute coffee addict! Even through my previous pregnancies I never lost my appetite for coffee. I have no idea what changed. It makes me kind of sad to have to do without my java... But I know it's better for the little sprout anyway so it's all good!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 AM

After sitting my butt on the couch for a little bit, surfing on MDC, it has passed smile.gif And now I am STARVING (as witnessed by what I just posted in the food thread shy.gif ).

Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 AM

This week I have traveled by plane the 600 miles home.

These are the things I have learned.

1) People should be required to shower before a flight.  And you should not be allowed to get around the 3 ounce rule by that shower being in your cologne.  Seriously, people.  Enclosed space.  Shared air supply.  And don't you dare give ME the dirty look when I make use of my complimentary barf bag.  And don't judge me when I pick up extras from seats as I leave the plane.  

2) Automatic toilets are the bane of my existence.  I would like to vomit without it being splashed back at me.  Geez, people.  

3) Going on "vacation" during the first trimester is really traveling for too long to lay on someone else's couch.  

4) My friend's and my mom's friends back home drink all the freaking time.  There's only so many ways a girl can dodge a cocktail without looking like something is up.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 AM

livacreature: 1 & 2 ew. Sounds awful. sick.gif
Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 AM

As a follow-up to Steph's "what not to do," I'll add my suggestions:

1) Do not do anything that involves lifting your arms above your head - for some reason stretching those muscles makes my stomach turn.
2) Do not cook. Seriously. Food may sound good (finally), but while staring into that pot of whatever you're stirring, your stomach contents will start to swirl at the same speed.
3) Do not think, "Hey, I'm feeling much better and craving X. Let's go eat a lot of X." X for me this morning was cheddar and sour cream ruffles. I am currently staying close to my trash can at work.

Also, unrelated, is anyone else hiccuping and burping like crazy? I RARELY do either one, and they have been non-stop since yesterday...

Old 03-01-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Oh livacreature, that sounds awful! Hope you are home sweet home now!

Well I have an U/s scheduled this morning. I did one in the office with a low grade machine last week. She said babe was so small and the machine so crappy that she wanted me to go in for better measurements and to really be sure there is just one babe. We are almost certain there is just one but I agree, I don't want to find out at 20 weeks any different! I'm looking forward to hearing that heartbeat this morning. I hate the full bladder part though.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 AM

Ewwww livacreature. That stinks. Sorry you had to go through that.

Good luck Sue!

DH leaves on Thursday. He will be gone for about 17 days (unless they make him stay longer). I'm bumming about that, but at least he was able to delay this trip until this month (it was supposed to be last month). I'm feeling better now than I was then so it'll be easier to have him gone. He should be back before my next appointment too so that's cool. I am not looking forward to ds's reaction though. Anytime dh leaves for work ds's schedule gets so messed up that he has a really hard time dealing with it.

We told ds last night that dh is leaving on Thursday. DS is already acting up eyesroll.gif It'll be a fun month for sure.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

Morning, ladies! Steph ROTFLMAO.gif you are too funny. Did it pass again, or are you still nauseated? In case of the latter, hugs!
AFM, I am still sick as a dog. Today is a little better than yesterday though, so yay for progress! It's been four days since I've had a cup of coffee, and just the thought of it makes me want to hurl. So odd... I used to be an absolute coffee addict! Even through my previous pregnancies I never lost my appetite for coffee. I have no idea what changed. It makes me kind of sad to have to do without my java... But I know it's better for the little sprout anyway so it's all good!

You're a couple weeks ahead of me I think- but it seems we're on the same page! I also haven't had any coffee at all lately and it's totally odd to me- I can ALWAYS drink (and love) coffee. I've been actually feeling a *tiny* bit better over the last 2 days (which of course makes me panicked), but still not good enough for my beloved cup of joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

This week I have traveled by plane the 600 miles home.

These are the things I have learned.

1) People should be required to shower before a flight.  And you should not be allowed to get around the 3 ounce rule by that shower being in your cologne.  Seriously, people.  Enclosed space.  Shared air supply.  And don't you dare give ME the dirty look when I make use of my complimentary barf bag.  And don't judge me when I pick up extras from seats as I leave the plane.  

2) Automatic toilets are the bane of my existence.  I would like to vomit without it being splashed back at me.  Geez, people.  

3) Going on "vacation" during the first trimester is really traveling for too long to lay on someone else's couch.  

4) My friend's and my mom's friends back home drink all the freaking time.  There's only so many ways a girl can dodge a cocktail without looking like something is up.

Oh my. You are a trooper. You deserve a medal. Seriously.

Excessive cologne is rough when not pregnant, but now? All hell would break loose!! I get stressed about seeming normal with our short visits with friends- but a long trip right now sounds like no fun at all. Way to go!

In other news, I finally learned how to quote on this stupid thing! I'm a total forum idiot, so this is exciting!.

I have my first appt with my MW tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should ask for an U/S for peace of mind. I keep waffling... With my miscarriage I saw the hb and still lost her a few days later, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal to me, but I'm already past the point where I lost her and I feel soooo bad, things just have to be fine! Right?! [now is NOT the time for horror stories of feeling horrible and still losing the LO]

Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM

luxlove.gif My mother is so awesome. We were chatting in email about maternity clothes and she just sent me some photos of her 1970s maternity clothes: a sundress sewed from a bedsheet, a big peasant blouse, and some double-knit polyester. She looks go great! Plus, it's just hitting me that this pregnancy is going to allow me to connect with her in a way I never have before. mecry.gif (pregnant lady overly emotional tears)
Old 03-01-2011, 02:24 PM
~pi

livacreature, ugh. Hope you are having a better time now that you are home!

We just booked flights for summer vacation. I am so excited! We are going to visit my sister and her family, and my mom is coming with us. They live across an ocean from us and we haven't even met their youngest in person yet. It will be wonderful to spend time together and also to get to go hiking in the mountains.

capretta, that's so lovely. That made me think of how one of the things that shocked the pants off of me after having DS was how choked up I continue to get over his relationships with his grandparents and other extended family. It just feels like such a wonderful gift to him to have these other adults who love him and who give him yet another dimension of what it means to be a beloved member of a family. They all have their moments, and we are quite different people in a lot of ways, but it makes me feel so lucky that he has all these people who love him.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 PM

I'll be 9 weeks tomorrow!!!  Oh my gosh, the time is already speeding by!

I noticed today that I can feel my uterus- even under all my belly flab!!  It stops a finger or two below my belly button.  I was a little surprised!  I tried to feel lit about a week ago when I was lying down in bed, but couldn't distinguish anything because of the texture of my many previous stretch marks.  And today, in the shower, I could just tell!  There was that familiar firm, round bump in my belly.  That was sorta nice.  :)

I think my nausea has officially gone away.  Which means, what... it lasted maybe two weeks altogether?  But I haven't had any queasiness for a good week now.  Every now and then I eat something that seems to not agree with me, and it makes me feel like I'm the very edge of being queasy, and is uncomfortable, but I never get all the way there.

I have off-and-on insomnia.  Last night I randomly woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep for a good hour.  The light from the window bothered me (which got me brainstorming about how to darken my window more), it felt too warm in the room (though the thermostat was set the same as always), DH seemed too far in the middle of the bed and I felt like my space was being invaded, I couldn't get comfortable on the side I *wanted* to lay on, and on and on.....  it was really annoying.  Every now and then I have a night like that, no matter how tired I am. 

I've been having annoyingly realistic dreams, too.  Like walking around with my cell phone in my hand ALL DAY, and my fingers constantly brushing the volume controls and inadvertently turning off my ringer altogether.  And someone constantly needing to get a hold of me, and being annoyed that I couldn't manage to keep my phone turned on so they could reach me.  And then I would be embarrassed, but it would keep happening no matter how hard I tried in the dream to fix it.

I am in *love* with sour cream this week.  On baked potatoes, in quesadillas, as an ingredient in ranch dip, and so on.  I need more sour cream ideas.  I can't get enough of it, but I don't have a huge variety of things I can put it on!

I have my first visit with a local midwife tomorrow.  I'm a little nervous!  What if I don't like her?  Will I have to start searching all over again (when I really HATE searching)?  I hope it goes well.  DH is coming with me, so we can both get a feel for her.  I REALLY hope it works out - her home office is only 5 minutes away!!  That's such a big perk when my day has so many back-and-forth trips in it already.

I ordered maternity clothes online a couple days ago, and also bought a few things from a department store.  I'm not even needing maternity clothes just yet!  But I can't get it off my mind.  I'm frustrated about jeans and pants, though.  I can't fit into my previous pants (too small), but I'm also not having much luck finding my size at a reasonable price in a store.  Maybe I'll just live in skirts and dresses this time around.

Capretta, I love your story, too.  So sweet!  I think I'm a little more teary this time than I have been before.  I made myself cry thinking about DH being at a job interview.  Being hopeful, excited, supportive, etc.  ... it just all built up and turned into tears that I couldn't hold back.  I felt a little crazy!  ;)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM

OMG! This was a huge issue at our house last night. Sadly, I realize now I was being *really* irrational about it but I. Could. Not. Sleep with dh right in the middle of the bed like he always is. I pretty much made him cower on the very edge of the bed in fear last night to go to sleep. redface.gif dizzy.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post

DH seemed too far in the middle of the bed and I felt like my space was being invaded

Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

OMG! This was a huge issue at our house last night. Sadly, I realize now I was being *really* irrational about it but I. Could. Not. Sleep with dh right in the middle of the bed like he always is. I pretty much made him cower on the very edge of the bed in fear last night to go to sleep. redface.gifdizzy.gif

LOL!!!  I worked hard to control myself and only elbowed him away once, but I know EXACTLY what you mean, and I find it particularly hilarious right now!!  I will not be surprised to find myself doing the same thing to poor DH before long.  Especially once I introduce the body pillow.  Someday, we'll have a King sized bed.  But I doubt it will happen before baby is born.... poor DH.  ;)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 03-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Mine tries to snuggle me in his sleep and keeps accidentally hitting me in the face. I just use those rude awakenings as reason to get up for my middle of the night potty break... Which then wakes him up so I get to tell him he hit me in the face again. :P I've started strategically placing my body pillow as a buffer.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Ugh - I forgot about the full-bladder u/s! Thanks for the reminder. Can't wait. duh.gif

Liveacreature - ((hugs)) I hope you're home and comfy(er) now!

Capretta - Awe! <3

Steph - lol! Your poor DH!!

AFM - I can't stop buying baby fluff. I already have a ton of newbie diapers and just ordered 2 pairs of longies. Sheepish.gif They're so cute though!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 PM

Just a FYI- I did not have a full bladder with my ultrasound (actually, I had to pee in a cup for them about 30 minutes before the ultrasound) and it was fine. thumb.gif

AKChix0r- no way.... you're getting beat up at night too? That's why our whole "argument" (I'll call it that but it was really me yelling while dh inched farther and farther away) started last night is because I'm being awoken every single freaking night with dh "hitting" me in the middle of the night (his arms just fly out, he's totally asleep). I made him move allllll the way to his side of the bed last night so that he couldn't reach me. LOL! I would love a king size bed but, alas, we just bought this queen so we won't be getting a new one for a looooong time.

User Tag List