Nursing mama's how is it going???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am going to start weaning today :( I just cannot do it anymore. My nipples hurt sooooooo bad. I am thankful that I continued this long. My whole house just went through a bout of Rotavirus and Zay was the least effected so I am happy that I could nurse her through that but now I am so done. I am still getting over the Rota myself and I just feel completly drained. My plan is to try lemon juice on my nipples to see if it will deter her. Some of you might think that is drastic but I am at the end of my rope :(

So how is everyone else doing?

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#2 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 PM

I think we're coming to the end...I am on 2 meds for morning sickness, so I don't feel awesome about putting that into her body as well, even if it is considered "safe".  However, she has pinkeye and ear infections right now, so I will probably nurse her a few more times til she is well (I've been putting milk in her eyes and ears, and it seems to be helping...though she gives me this look like, Mom, you're WASTING it.)

I guess I am lucky in that neither of my kids have ever really asked to nurse...it is something they love to do when I offer, but they don't beg.  I don't think I could handle that- it would making weaning SO hard!  With my son, we just nursed less and less until one day I realized that it had been a few days and he was done.  I loved that...never had to have a "last nursing session" which would have been heart wrenching for me.  I hope that it goes the same way with Violet...that one of these days I realize that we're done.

SAHM to Matias (3) and Violet (18 mo), and avid homemaker, seamstress, gardener, knitter and cook.
#3 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM

It's actually going pretty well so far.  I'm only 6 wks along though and no nausea for me, as of yet.  I have a bit of discomfort sometimes when DS nurses, but no real pain.  When did you guys start feeling pain while nursing?

DS is nursing at least as much as always, I think more.  I imagine he's getting less and that's why, but who knows.  It seems like every time I sit on the couch, he wants to nurse.  I want to wean him off 1 feeding, the 10.30pm one which he still wakes up for every night (he otherwise doesnt' eat overnight), but I don't know how to even do that. lol.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#4 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Still nursing at 16.5 months. Sometimes, I just have enough touchy and have him stop, other times it's ok. I hope to get to 18 months. We will see if my nipples get any more sore.

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#5 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Better than I expected. My breasts were SO crazy painful when I was pregnant for ds but I'm not there yet with this one. My nipples are definitely tender but it's not awful & for how little he is nursing it's not a concern.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#6 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Still going fine, here.  I don't think my milk supply is down yet, and it's not painful, either.  I'm only 5w5d today, though. 

When did you find your milk supply dropping and it getting painful?

Homebirthing mama of 2
#7 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 02:41 PM

I don't know how you ladies do it!  Every time I've been pregnant and nursing at the same time, I didn't really have issues with pain, but I got *serious* creepy-crawly feelings all over my body every time I nursed.  It was all I could do not to scream and run away....  so, needless to say, I ended nursing pretty quickly after becoming pregnant every time.  For those of you sticking through it, way to go!  I'll definitely cheer you on.  :)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#8 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 PM

We are doing pretty good here. Some days I'm pretty sore but others it seems just fine. We'll see how it goes but so far so good.

We are in the process of night weaning which has been really hard. DD is so pissed that she can't nurse at night. Please tell me this will get better. I'm so sleep deprived and exhausted!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#9 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 04:01 PM

I'm 9 weeks and a couple of days and this week has been hard. I feel like my supply has tanked and its really upsetting DS, especially when he's trying to nurse down for a nap. He gets really distressed and its taking an hour to get him down for a nap instead of the 5 minutes it normally takes. Which is exhausting. The pain isn't severe, but its definitely gotten a little more pronounced each week. The fact that he's frustrated and sucking really hard and pulling because my supply is down is definitely not helping. I'm really not ready to wean and I know he's not either, but I'm not sure how long we'll last. :(

#10 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonahsmom View Post

I'm 9 weeks and a couple of days and this week has been hard. I feel like my supply has tanked and its really upsetting DS, especially when he's trying to nurse down for a nap. He gets really distressed and its taking an hour to get him down for a nap instead of the 5 minutes it normally takes. Which is exhausting. The pain isn't severe, but its definitely gotten a little more pronounced each week. The fact that he's frustrated and sucking really hard and pulling because my supply is down is definitely not helping. I'm really not ready to wean and I know he's not either, but I'm not sure how long we'll last. :(

((hugs)) mama, I hope it eases up for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

We are doing pretty good here. Some days I'm pretty sore but others it seems just fine. We'll see how it goes but so far so good.

We are in the process of night weaning which has been really hard. DD is so pissed that she can't nurse at night. Please tell me this will get better. I'm so sleep deprived and exhausted!

It'll get better!  And then maybe you can get some extra rest, too.  Hang in there and nap when you can!

Homebirthing mama of 2
#11 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM

Thanks for starting this post, Amy!

I was fine up until a week and a half ago.  Now I'm 7 weeks along and I really can't stand night nursing anymore.  We have been weaning gently for a while now.  I'm still fine nursing my little guy (nearly 26 months) to sleep at night and for his one nap a day, but his early morning nursing sessions are getting tortureous.  He sometimes sleeps until daybreak, but the last days it has been 3 or 4am complete with pulling my hair, scratching my face (looking for my hair) and clamping down on my tender nipples.  Ugh!!!!  I have to sheepishly admit that the last two nights I've spoken sharply to him because I was so grouchy. 

I have been reading about different ways to night wean, but nothing seems worth the battle at the moment.  Neither DP nor I have the energy to get up and walk with him and so far our attempts at patting or rocking him to sleep only cause him to cry harder.  Pulling out the boob is just so much easier in the middle of the night!  Ideas, thoughts?

Does lemon juice work?

Mama to Gabriel (1-10-2009) and newborn Helena (10-9-2011) h20homebirth.gif with DP Julio.  ...cloth diapering, attachment parenting, infant EC-ing, etc.

#12 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 PM

We are hanging in there!  My nipples are definitely more sore.  The worst time is first thing in the morning, which (surprise, surprise) is DS' big nursing session for the day.  Today I offered both sides for a limited time and then left him with DH so I could go get a snack.  I was starting to feel hungry and that's never a good sign.  

DS seems to be asking for nursing more.  I really, really hope we can keep it up, it's been such a lifesaver already!

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#13 of 82 Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing everyone :)

So the soreness really kicked in for me a few weeks ago. Some days it would be bad and others bareable. I have noticed in the last week that my supply must be very low because she is sucking so hard when she is activly nursing that I feel like I am going to scream. She has been nursing non-stop (mostly for comfort though) in the past few days which I am thinking is because she has not been feeling good but my nipples are so sore and swollen from the constant nursing I just can't take it anymore :( Also the other day I had that creepy-crawly feeling that Leihas mentioned which tells me that my milk is pretty much gone and that my hormones are changing because I have delt with this in my other pregnancies as well.

So I tried the lemon juice tonight and it went really well! She latched on and then popped off and looked at my nipples like there was something wrong. She asked for the other side and same thing happened. She asked for the first side again and then told me all done. I am praying that it is going to continue to be this easy! I will post back tomorrow with how it is going :)

Goodnight Mama's

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#14 of 82 Old 03-02-2011, 05:09 AM

I have a Gabriel too! I would LOVE to wean. he is only night nursing now, and I really wish he didn't. but like a PP said, it is so much easier to just get the boob out. He hasn't really STTN since I got pregnant, and possibly before, he is waking a couple times a night where he didn't used to at all. It is really draining on an already exhausted pregnant mama. DH tries to help, but often it just seems to make it worse. I am 10 weeks and I really am not sure if there is any milk left. maybe a little. We are only nursing on the right side, because DS decided a few weeks ago that the left breast was "all gone" and we haven't nursed on that side since.

Anyway, here's hoping that those of us wanting to wean are able to do so gently and soon, and those that keep going find it easygoing.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#15 of 82 Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

So it went pretty well last night until about 5 am. She asked to nurse when she got tired and again made a face and said "all done". She was pretty restless and could not self soothe after that so she ended up staying up really late and got a bit over-tired. When we went to bed she tried once and then got a little upset but I talked to her quietly and rubbed her back. She fell asleep until about 5 am and pitched a huge fit. I finally went and washed myself off and she very reluctantly tried to latch on and once she did she popped off and said "mmmmmmm meemee" it was cute :) She nursed only on the one side a few times and so far this morning has not asked to nurse but I am going to put on more lemon juice. Even if I can get her to wean during the day and at bedtime for now I will be happy. My nipples already feel so much better!

Amy

#16 of 82 Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM

I'm actually still tandem nursing. This will be my 3rd pg I have nursed through, 2nd I have tandem nursed through. No pain yet - I usually get that really tender nips + really annoying BH ctx in the 3rd tri.

I'm hoping to wean ODD by her 4th birthday, which will be when I am 6.5 months pg. She is like a super-dee-duper mondo nurser, so I think it's going to be rough :-( But I really don't want to tripledem nurse (is there such a thing? :-) ), and I've been telling her for some time that we will stop when she turns four. I love CLW, but 4 is really just my personal limit with other little ones around. I could probably go longer if I didn't have another one or two LOs to nurse. She is down to nursing 2X daily and sometimes (maybe 40% of the time?) 1X at night. So, we'll see...

Not that I want anyone to be struggling or anything, but it's reassuring to see other mamas dealing with similar issues!

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

#17 of 82 Old 03-02-2011, 09:06 AM

Reading this I realized that my son has not nursed overnight in the last 3 nights!! He has come to where I am (the kids and I have been playing musical beds lately) but he has just cuddled next to me..I don't recall having to give him a boob. Now that I think about it he has been nursing alot less during the day too..really first thing in the morning is the only significant nursing he is doing. Hmm I am kind of sad about that but realistically I know with his personality tandem nursing will be hard so the longer between him weaning and the baby being born the better.

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#18 of 82 Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM

Still hanging in there. I just flew DS to TX with me for a funeral, so that we would not have to wean just this week. He is still not quite ready to let it go.

#19 of 82 Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Still hanging in there but I would love it if he would night wean.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#20 of 82 Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM

has anyone experience their child gagging?  DS has started gagging and ending the nursing session.   Sometimes it's after a few minutes, sometimes as long as 15-20min.  But always gags at the end.  I'm assuming its the taste of the milk?  but why so late into the game sometimes?

Homebirthing mama of 2
#21 of 82 Old 03-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Well I think I figured out why my son has suddenly cut back so much...NO MILK!! I heard it can dry up mid pregnancy but didn't think it would happen so soon. I tried to express some and got none on the left and 2 drops on the right...usually I can spray!! I asked him if the milk was all gone and he said yes.All afternoon he has been pretending to cry like an infant and try to get milk bawling.gif I was not prepared for this and feel sad..maybe partly because I fear I will have a miscarriage and have lost the nursing relationship with my son..that would be to much.

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#22 of 82 Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 PM

My little guy is sick right now with what I see is obviously a stomach bug.  But here in Costa Rica the common thought is that a child nursing during a mom's pregnancy will get sick on the milk... and start vomiting (like the PP said about the gag reflex)... I am currently pondering how much truth there is in the idea that our bodies do just make it less appealing for our little ones to continue BFing while we are pregnant.

My DP feels that it is my breastmilk making my DS sick.  I do not believe that as a direct cause/effect.

Mama to Gabriel (1-10-2009) and newborn Helena (10-9-2011) h20homebirth.gif with DP Julio.  ...cloth diapering, attachment parenting, infant EC-ing, etc.

#23 of 82 Old 03-03-2011, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We're still going.  DS (20 months) is still nursing 3-4 times a day, but nothing at night.  I would say, though, that only the nursing when he wakes int he morning is a full feed.  The rest is kind of little bits. 

#24 of 82 Old 03-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saritajoy View Post

My little guy is sick right now with what I see is obviously a stomach bug.  But here in Costa Rica the common thought is that a child nursing during a mom's pregnancy will get sick on the milk... and start vomiting (like the PP said about the gag reflex)... I am currently pondering how much truth there is in the idea that our bodies do just make it less appealing for our little ones to continue BFing while we are pregnant.

My DP feels that it is my breastmilk making my DS sick.  I do not believe that as a direct cause/effect.

Not that I have any special knowledge of this stuff, but to me it doesn't make sense that the milk would make the baby sick.  I would think that if baby shouldn't have it, then nature would not let you continue to produce it, or would make it taste so nasty baby would reject it. 

And there are tons of pregnant nursing moms worldwide whose kids don't get sick on their milk, so that seems evidence enough not to worry!  On the contrary, when sick, it should help the baby.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#25 of 82 Old 03-03-2011, 04:29 PM

My dd has been sick for nearly 3 weeks (since the day I got my BFP)...she has been nursing constantly...just as much for comfort...she is 18 mos and shows no interest in weaning....

i forced ds to wean while I was pg with her (he was over 2) because of the pain and I still feel guilty about it...he was sooo not ready...he still gets comfort from my boobs....wants to touch them and be near them...poor bugger :(

so i do not want to make that mistake again if I can help it....I just wish she was ready to wean

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#26 of 82 Old 03-03-2011, 06:37 PM
~pi

It's OK here. Breast tenderness seems to come and go. Nursing was excruciating for a little while, and now it's back to just painful. It's only at bedtime and occasionally in the morning now, so I can handle one painful episode per day.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#27 of 82 Old 03-03-2011, 06:57 PM

I wish I was still nursing. When I had my m/c in December Liam wanted absolutely nothing to do with me, he wouldnt even let me hold him until I had passed everthing. Then I tried for three weeks and I could never get him to latch back on. I was so heart broken! 

Good job ladies on going for so long! 

treehugger.gifKayleigh is a Marine wife to Ben & SAHM to Colton 2.5yrs and Liam 1.5yrs 

After 2 beautiful boys we're having a GIRL!

Little Miss Addie

20****25**stork-girl.gif*30****35****40**

#28 of 82 Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 PM

saritajoy - We found a waterbottle kept in bed was realllllly helpful with nightweaning. We still keep one in bed now & ds pretty much always wakes up in the night thirsty. It might be worth a try offering water before the breast to see if that helps. Hope your lo feels better sooner! We lived in CR when I was pregnant & for the first 6 months of ds' life.

I'm wondering if my supply is starting to reduce. Ds has spent most of today nursing - could he be trying to get my supply going again? It's uncomfortable when he latches on but then it's usually tolerable.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#29 of 82 Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 PM

I don't think it's making him sick... But I think the taste is much less appealing (hence the gagging).  I very much disagree w/ your DH that your milk is causing illness.

That said, today after our morning session (no gagging!) DS would ask for milk, but when he saw my breast he jumped away!  Talk about rejection, eh?  ROTFLMAO.gif

It is a little sad for me that it's ending on a "sour" note, but at least it's happening naturally, more or less.

Homebirthing mama of 2
#30 of 82 Old 03-04-2011, 04:42 AM

DS has done that for the last couple weeks; he will pull at my shirt like he wants to nurse, then when I offer the breast he looks at it and pushes it away before latching on

Adventures in Tandem Nursing says milk when you are pregnant tastes more salty. Maybe that is why the gagging.

Well, we did not nurse to sleep last night, and for once DS STTN in his crib (he used to, between 10-13 months like 3 or more nights a week) so no night nursing either. I got a sippy cup that is sort of similiar to a bottle and he had a good bit of milk before bed. That may have helped. Hope this trend continues, as this tired mama was very glad of an uninterrupted night of sleep!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page