Who else is cloth-diapering? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 129 Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

mambera - sorry you had such a tough time with cd's last time. I honestly rarely had leaks with ds. We did prefolds exclusively with pul covers. I often, around the house especially, just had him in the prefold & then changed it as soon as he wet. When he was immobile I would even just lie him naked on top of a prefold & just place a clean one under him if he wet.

The few times we had a rash issue I switched to disposable for one or two changes with lots of cream & it always cleared up very quickly.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#62 of 129 Old 03-08-2011, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There is a blog called All About Cloth, and she has good newborn CD suggestions. The fall back is prefolds with prowraps, which is cheaper.

#63 of 129 Old 03-08-2011, 06:47 PM

I cloth diapered before and used mother ease by my last kiddo...i liked them a lot and still own them...so that's what I'll use. Also about the not being exclusive....lots of times I used disposables at night...I usually felt a bit guilty, but I imagine I'll let go of the guilt this time around smile.gif Jenny

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#64 of 129 Old 03-09-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I use sposies at night for my boys. They just pee way too much! Nothing could contain that flood.. and then we were dealing with AWFUL ammonia from my oldest. Blech!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#65 of 129 Old 03-09-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
QOTD:  How many of you used either liners or a sprayer?  We didn't use either, but now I'm wondering about both. 

We used neither. For solid poops, we kept a plastic knife in a dixie cup behind the toilet (where DS couldn't reach it) and that was the "poop knife" used for scraping the poop into the toilet. Our bathroom is too small to squeeze in a diaper pail, so no swishing either. I didn't want to carry a sopping wet diaper back to the bedroom.

#66 of 129 Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Awesome idea about the knife, korintherin.  I'm going to try that! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#67 of 129 Old 03-09-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbakedcake View Post

This is baby number one, and we're CDing. I'm going with Indian prefolds and covers for the first few months, but not sure what I'll use after that. I would like to be able to use prefolds the whole time, since they're so economical. Also, I like the idea of cotton against my babe's bum, and am less than thrilled with the idea of the synthetic materials other styles seem to use. Have any of you had success with prefolds once the youngins get into the heavy wetting wriggle worm phase?

We used prefolds and Proraps all the way, never even needed Snappis! When in doubt, go up to the next size prefold. Diaper service quality prefold that is, not the hankies Gerber sells in the baby section of most stores.

I tried a few different folds with DS but most of the time it was a simple thirds across the short dimension of the diaper. If it was still too long, I'd fold a flap down in the front for extra protection there.

With the Proraps, it wasn't an issue if poop leaked out of the prefold onto the cover. The cover caught it 99% of the time and his clothes were fine. Couldn't say the same for Pampers.

We had some experience with diaper rash. First of all, if you are aware of when your kid pees, they don't have to sit in a wet diaper very long! Second, diaper rash has lots of different causes. We had problems with both chemical sensitivity (to commercial wipes / disposable diapers) and with yeast infection. The latter can occur completely independently of what kind of diaper you're using. Food sensitivities can also cause diaper rash, independent of the diaper. In the long run I am very glad we stuck with the cloth diapers, specifically cotton prefolds, because I *knew* that was a constant factor rather than a variable in our battle with diaper rash. ("He didn't have the rash last week with the same diapers, so what else changed?")

We did have some eczema in the diaper area too, cotton prefolds didn't seem to make it any worse (it was minor, no cracking as long as we kept applying Aquaphor, which is ok to use with CD).

We did start having problems with him pee-flooding the diaper at night when he was about 18-19 months old, so we potty trained. His bladder had just gotten bigger than the diaper could keep up with, and he was ready. The unexpected benefit was that he night weaned then too, because he wasn't waking up wet!

#68 of 129 Old 03-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Awesome idea about the knife, korintherin.  I'm going to try that! 

Thanks :) It was cheap and it worked! Must have read it here somewhere.

#69 of 129 Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 PM

We use the bummis diapers with the prefolds using snappies or pins to hold them together. i think the Potty Pail is a life saver with the attachment to the toilet. Something we started doing was drying our dirty cloth diapers on a rack (our changing table is on a metal utility shelf). when they dry i put them in the pail and i never have a smell of diapers. it makes all the difference.

#70 of 129 Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 PM
~pi

Same story here as korintherin (prefolds and covers all the way through), except we used Bummis covers (cheaper in Canada.)

We also made microfleece liners by buying a few metres of microfleece and cutting it into strips. We would put a strip on top of the prefold, which allowed for: 1) temporary wicking away moisture, so that if we were out with DS, we could spend 5 minutes finding a place to change him rather than having him screaming instantly, and 2) poop rolling right off. Highly recommend. This trick really improved our CDing experience.

Also, in the following years, those strips have made for excellent washable kleenexes. So much softer on our noses.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#71 of 129 Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

I used a plastic knife before we got a diaper sprayer and HATED it! I also dunked the diaper and still couldn't get all the poo off. Like I said, my kids must have cement poo. I actually just threw away my poop knife the other day! lol

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#72 of 129 Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM

We use organic cotton prefolds with Bummis covers, and at night we use Bum Genius AIO.  We have to use the Bums at night because he nurses and pees a lot by the morning!  We only have like six Bums and 36 prefolds.  I do laundry every third day and usually we haven't gone through all the diapers.  We use to do laundry every other day but we've really used less water this way.

For mamas just getting started - It can seem a little overwhelming at first but you can do it!  We didn't go 100% CD at first because we were just so clueless about being new parents.  We maybe went through two packs of diapers in the beginning couple of months but haven't used a disposable in about three months!  If it's your first and you're nervous just ease into it.  It might sound silly but set goals!  In my mind I did this in the beginning and it helped to get off that disposable crutch.  I'm sure it's way easier for some mom's but for us it was the best thing.  We didn't have anybody to help us with being new parents so CDing was just one more thing to stress us out.  It's definitely more work and more hassle (I don't believe people that say it isn't) but it is completely worth it!  Better for your wallet.  Better for the environment.  And better for your little babys bum!  Even though my family back home thinks it's silly and don't understand why we're doing it I wouldn't do it any other way!      

In love with two boys.... one old and one new!  familybed1.gif     

#73 of 129 Old 03-09-2011, 06:03 PM

We are a pre-adoptive foster family.  I am a SAHM of 3 boys 2,3,4yo.  2 and 3yo are not potty trained yet and I have no idea when that will happen.  Every day I think "this is the day!"  So in many ways it is like having twins and some times like triplets.  There is only 23 months difference between oldest and youngest.  Anyway my point is we use g-diapers.  Surprised I haven't heard anyone else mention them.  I like the versatility of being able to use the purchased cloth inserts or the paper cloth inserts.  If I had to do it over I would have made up my own microfiber inserts.  But, the purchased ones are easy.  I just have a dry bucket to drop the wet inserts into.  I put some baking soda in too.  I bought enough to only wash them every other day.  The paper are more expensive but, more convenient if I know when they will poop (easier to clean) or if we are going out of the house.  Poop I just wash by hand and then drop in the bucket to wash again in the machine.  

Overall I have been thrilled with g-diapers.  So easy and way less expensive than disposables especially with 2 in diapers at once.  You can buy them at diapers.com and I think the website is gdiaper.com  Good luck and have fun!

Mama buddamomimg1.png   through   triadadopt.jpg to B jammin.gif Dblowkiss.gif and J diaper.gif

#74 of 129 Old 03-09-2011, 08:05 PM

I use Smartipants! They are my favorite of everything I have tried (prefolds with covers, Bum Genius AIO's, Tiny Tush organics, and Bubele Bums Minky diapers)- they are so easy! I just toss them in a wet bag and throw them all in the washer at once. :) Good luck!

mrsmchavez likes this.
#75 of 129 Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

mambera - sorry you had such a tough time with cd's last time. I honestly rarely had leaks with ds. We did prefolds exclusively with pul covers. I often, around the house especially, just had him in the prefold & then changed it as soon as he wet. When he was immobile I would even just lie him naked on top of a prefold & just place a clean one under him if he wet.

The few times we had a rash issue I switched to disposable for one or two changes with lots of cream & it always cleared up very quickly.

You know what's funny, I didn't really consider that we were having a tough time.  I kind of just felt like everything was par for the course (and actually easier for me, as I said I prefer laundry to trash as a chore) until we switched to sposies and I saw how much better they worked for DD.

I do have a question for those who change as soon as the baby wets (since if we are going coverless I guess that will have to be our MO) - So are you changing diapers like every 20 minutes then when the baby is under a year or so?  How do you ever do anything else with your day?

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#76 of 129 Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 PM

Mamas who have CDed newborns before - how long did your baby fit into newborn-sized fitteds and AOIs?

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#77 of 129 Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 AM
~pi

Quote:

Originally Posted by mambera View Post

I do have a question for those who change as soon as the baby wets (since if we are going coverless I guess that will have to be our MO) - So are you changing diapers like every 20 minutes then when the baby is under a year or so?  How do you ever do anything else with your day?

DS gets his camel-like bladder from me. We're well-hydrated, we just have, erm, abundant capacity. (I am that rare pregnant woman who never, ever has to get up in the night to pee, even at the very end.) As an infant, he peed maybe every couple of hours. And with exclusive breastfeeding, he used every last drop of nutrition, and only pooped every 7-10 days. He despised being wet, so we changed pretty quickly (though, as noted above, the fleece liners would give us a 5 minute window.) So I think it depends on the baby. If I had a kid who peed every 20 minutes, I'd probably be looking at either EC, disposables, or some sort of more serious wicking liner.

#78 of 129 Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

Mamas who have CDed newborns before - how long did your baby fit into newborn-sized fitteds and AOIs?

About 30 seconds.

#79 of 129 Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 AM

for ds, my dh made flats from flannel sheets and we washed them in the bathtub...no machine

we made a ton of flannel/fleece pockets and used prefolds...motherease...

dh and I were worried that ds might not learn to walk or that he would walk funny because of the huge diaper crotch....lol

but he started walking at 8 mos and no worries;)

for dd I made some scaled down rrps from flannel pillowcases...

I also use recycled sweaters...and scrap fleece for stay dry lining sometimes.

I must say I HATE my front loader!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#80 of 129 Old 03-11-2011, 08:03 AM

I CDd DS from birth but mostly part-time at the beginning then FT at 4 months or so.  This time I plan to CD full-time from the beginning if all goes well.  I have a newborn stash then a one sized stash all ready to go so we are set.  DS is still in cloth and we are doing PLing right now :).

DS was 7lbs3oz when born and was 6lbs12oz when we got home a few days later so he fit in his newborn diapers for about 3ish months...I think at about 12lbs or so we switched over to our onesize diapers.

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#81 of 129 Old 03-11-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

My baby was 7 lbs 2 oz and fit in her BumGenious AIO size newborn for roughly 6 to 8 weeks... and she grew lots! My one-size diapers were way too big, so I'm glad i had these for her in the beginning.

#82 of 129 Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 PM

My baby was on the long side so he only fit into some of his nb fitted for 4-6wks at most. His Lil Joeys only fit him for 3wks cause the rise was so low but he could have fit the waist as he was on the skinny side. The Swaddlebee fitted that he had lasted him about 6wks maybe even 8wks the longest of any of his NB diapers. I think @ 10 lbs, he outgrew everything, the Swaddlebees may have been 12 lbs.  He was 7 lb 10 oz when he was born, he was able to wear OS dipes at about that point but barely.

#83 of 129 Old 03-12-2011, 05:25 PM

I was using fitted diapers in the beginning: Swaddlebees, Kissaluvs, Thirsties,etc got tired of those. Then I moved onto pockets when he was fitting into OS dipes: Fuzzibunz, Rumparooz, Blueberry minkees, *******'s Pants, some Bum Genius,etc. THEN...I got tired of pockets & started really liking AIOs so I used Bottom Bumpers, Grasshoppers,BG, Piddle Poddles, esp. the 1st two as I love the trimness & that he can actually wear them under pants without having to squish him in. I still like AIOs alot for the fit & trimness but now have gone back to fitted dipes a lot of the time for the breathability & have become addicted to wool as well. The fitted night dipes & wool has worked the best for us over night with a heavy wetter so I became a fan again :) I love love love Bububebe & also Holden's Landing, great night dipes, but I have a lot of different brands of fitted...very addicting!

#84 of 129 Old 03-12-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post

This is my first and I plan on CDing.  I don't know all the differences in the brands and I hear a lot of it is personal preference.  My plan is to put a few different types on my registry as well as some regular disposables and when the baby is born sign up for one of those trials that you can try different types out.  Any of you have any preferences or suggestions for a first timer?

I would try a lot of different brands and not buy many of any one brand. Some just don't fit right or work for your child or for your lifestyle. I love Grasshoppers & Bottom Bumpers for AIO as they are very trim, for fitted @ night my favorite are Bububebe...esp. the minky ones. I like fitted the most now as well as my trim AIOs as they don't tend to get rashes because they can breath if you use them under wool or fleece, I love wool but it is expensive, worth it tho. I liked Fuzzibunz for pockets, they are very accessible & trim, Rumparooz are good at containing NB poo but a little bulky. Many of OS won't fit till 10ish lbs or more even though they say 8lbs. I never tried prefolds or used snappies or any of that but some truly like that better so best to try a variety. I try to sell what I don't like or doesn't work for me on Diaper Swappers. The worst fit for me was Happy Heiny's & Monkey Doodles but some like them so it all depends. I would go to Diaper Pin for reviews too. There is a lot out there. A lot of WAHMS on Hyena Cart are awesome & where I get most of my stash now :)

#85 of 129 Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 PM

Check out justsimplybaby.com they have GREAT cloth diapers! $11- 12 each and they all come with 2 cloth inserts! They have snaps so they adjust from like 8-35 pounds (or close to that) . I have also found several moms selling various cloth diapers on craigslist. lots of new diapers too! 

Wow I really sound like a commercial, but I'm actually just a part time working mom to be who loves to shop :) I have a friend who makes her own woolie diaper wraps. I can connect you with her if that interests you? Good luck

#86 of 129 Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 AM

I have mostly bamboo prefolds and bamboo fitteds for this LO.  I used cotton prefolds with DS and fitteds but the didn't care for the cotton.  I love the sotfness and absorbency of the bamboo prefolds.  Our fitteds are mostly kissaluvs, guerilla fluff, grahambearwear, bububebe and a few others.  For AIOs I have two each of BG aio xs and Grovia newborn aio's.  I haven't tried the AIOs on a newb so this will be a first for us.

I plan on mostly using wool and fitteds for the first few months then they will be in our onesized diapers. I have both fitteds and aio's and pockets.  I have been prefering our pockets/aio's lately as DS is in daycare and it's just easier to use them 24/7.  I do love our fitteds though - mostly B4s :).

GL!

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#87 of 129 Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythik View Post

I have mostly bamboo prefolds and bamboo fitteds for this LO.  I used cotton prefolds with DS and fitteds but the didn't care for the cotton.  I love the sotfness and absorbency of the bamboo prefolds.  Our fitteds are mostly kissaluvs, guerilla fluff, grahambearwear, bububebe and a few others.  For AIOs I have two each of BG aio xs and Grovia newborn aio's.  I haven't tried the AIOs on a newb so this will be a first for us.

I plan on mostly using wool and fitteds for the first few months then they will be in our onesized diapers. I have both fitteds and aio's and pockets.  I have been prefering our pockets/aio's lately as DS is in daycare and it's just easier to use them 24/7.  I do love our fitteds though - mostly B4s :).

GL!

The B4s are awesome! Those are my current fav as I'm going more the fitted route. They are so great for night, <3 them!

#88 of 129 Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 AM

I drool over all of your diapers, but alas could never afford the $$$ so homemade it is....I would love to try some kissaluvs....there I go drooling again...lol

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#89 of 129 Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 AM

I love my cloth diapers, however, we just moved and ever since a long train trip last Christmas I have been doing disposable. I hated myself for it at first, but there was no way I was doing cloth while on the train for three days there & three days back. Then we moved into a new apartment with no washer/dryer, and I was not going to haul all my diapers to the laundromat every other day. Sorry, it just wasn't gonna happen. So I'm waiting for spring, so I can go back to handwashing them like I used to do, and hanging them out on my deck to dry. I am really looking forward to breaking out the ol' cloth didies again. Yay!!! Freshly hand-washed and sun-dried dipers! Come on, spring!

nicolian likes this.
#90 of 129 Old 03-14-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ~pi

If I had a kid who peed every 20 minutes, I'd probably be looking at either EC, disposables, or some sort of more serious wicking liner.

Interesting.  I guess I thought it was normal for babies to pee every 20 minutes (that's what DD did when she was having naked time, which was often). 

And she never minded being wet in the least (guess the stay-dry inners had something to do with that), so between that and the PUL covers, if she was wearing a diaper I had no idea exactly when she peed.  I just changed about every 2 hours unless she leaked.  

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Tags
Cloth Diapers , Diaper , Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page