Mothering Forum banner

Who else is cloth-diapering?

5K views 128 replies 60 participants last post by  fochaux 
#1 ·
Just curious who the others mamas who use cloth are and what you're planning on using.
biggrinbounce.gif
I would love to hear from the mamas who don't know or want to learn more about it, too! Cloth can be addictive though, so watch out.
winky.gif

See less See more
#77 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post

I do have a question for those who change as soon as the baby wets (since if we are going coverless I guess that will have to be our MO) - So are you changing diapers like every 20 minutes then when the baby is under a year or so? How do you ever do anything else with your day?
DS gets his camel-like bladder from me. We're well-hydrated, we just have, erm, abundant capacity. (I am that rare pregnant woman who never, ever has to get up in the night to pee, even at the very end.) As an infant, he peed maybe every couple of hours. And with exclusive breastfeeding, he used every last drop of nutrition, and only pooped every 7-10 days. He despised being wet, so we changed pretty quickly (though, as noted above, the fleece liners would give us a 5 minute window.) So I think it depends on the baby. If I had a kid who peed every 20 minutes, I'd probably be looking at either EC, disposables, or some sort of more serious wicking liner.

#79 ·
for ds, my dh made flats from flannel sheets and we washed them in the bathtub...no machine

we made a ton of flannel/fleece pockets and used prefolds...motherease...

dh and I were worried that ds might not learn to walk or that he would walk funny because of the huge diaper crotch....lol

but he started walking at 8 mos and no worries;)

for dd I made some scaled down rrps from flannel pillowcases...

I also use recycled sweaters...and scrap fleece for stay dry lining sometimes.

I must say I HATE my front loader!

#80 ·
I CDd DS from birth but mostly part-time at the beginning then FT at 4 months or so. This time I plan to CD full-time from the beginning if all goes well. I have a newborn stash then a one sized stash all ready to go so we are set. DS is still in cloth and we are doing PLing right now :).

DS was 7lbs3oz when born and was 6lbs12oz when we got home a few days later so he fit in his newborn diapers for about 3ish months...I think at about 12lbs or so we switched over to our onesize diapers.

#82 ·
My baby was on the long side so he only fit into some of his nb fitted for 4-6wks at most. His Lil Joeys only fit him for 3wks cause the rise was so low but he could have fit the waist as he was on the skinny side. The Swaddlebee fitted that he had lasted him about 6wks maybe even 8wks the longest of any of his NB diapers. I think @ 10 lbs, he outgrew everything, the Swaddlebees may have been 12 lbs. He was 7 lb 10 oz when he was born, he was able to wear OS dipes at about that point but barely.

#83 ·
I was using fitted diapers in the beginning: Swaddlebees, Kissaluvs, Thirsties,etc got tired of those. Then I moved onto pockets when he was fitting into OS dipes: Fuzzibunz, Rumparooz, Blueberry minkees, *******'s Pants, some Bum Genius,etc. THEN...I got tired of pockets & started really liking AIOs so I used Bottom Bumpers, Grasshoppers,BG, Piddle Poddles, esp. the 1st two as I love the trimness & that he can actually wear them under pants without having to squish him in. I still like AIOs alot for the fit & trimness but now have gone back to fitted dipes a lot of the time for the breathability & have become addicted to wool as well. The fitted night dipes & wool has worked the best for us over night with a heavy wetter so I became a fan again :) I love love love Bububebe & also Holden's Landing, great night dipes, but I have a lot of different brands of fitted...very addicting!

#84 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post

This is my first and I plan on CDing. I don't know all the differences in the brands and I hear a lot of it is personal preference. My plan is to put a few different types on my registry as well as some regular disposables and when the baby is born sign up for one of those trials that you can try different types out. Any of you have any preferences or suggestions for a first timer?
I would try a lot of different brands and not buy many of any one brand. Some just don't fit right or work for your child or for your lifestyle. I love Grasshoppers & Bottom Bumpers for AIO as they are very trim, for fitted @ night my favorite are Bububebe...esp. the minky ones. I like fitted the most now as well as my trim AIOs as they don't tend to get rashes because they can breath if you use them under wool or fleece, I love wool but it is expensive, worth it tho. I liked Fuzzibunz for pockets, they are very accessible & trim, Rumparooz are good at containing NB poo but a little bulky. Many of OS won't fit till 10ish lbs or more even though they say 8lbs. I never tried prefolds or used snappies or any of that but some truly like that better so best to try a variety. I try to sell what I don't like or doesn't work for me on Diaper Swappers. The worst fit for me was Happy Heiny's & Monkey Doodles but some like them so it all depends. I would go to Diaper Pin for reviews too. There is a lot out there. A lot of WAHMS on Hyena Cart are awesome & where I get most of my stash now :)

#85 ·
Check out justsimplybaby.com they have GREAT cloth diapers! $11- 12 each and they all come with 2 cloth inserts! They have snaps so they adjust from like 8-35 pounds (or close to that) . I have also found several moms selling various cloth diapers on craigslist. lots of new diapers too!

Wow I really sound like a commercial, but I'm actually just a part time working mom to be who loves to shop :) I have a friend who makes her own woolie diaper wraps. I can connect you with her if that interests you? Good luck

#86 ·
I have mostly bamboo prefolds and bamboo fitteds for this LO. I used cotton prefolds with DS and fitteds but the didn't care for the cotton. I love the sotfness and absorbency of the bamboo prefolds. Our fitteds are mostly kissaluvs, guerilla fluff, grahambearwear, bububebe and a few others. For AIOs I have two each of BG aio xs and Grovia newborn aio's. I haven't tried the AIOs on a newb so this will be a first for us.

I plan on mostly using wool and fitteds for the first few months then they will be in our onesized diapers. I have both fitteds and aio's and pockets. I have been prefering our pockets/aio's lately as DS is in daycare and it's just easier to use them 24/7. I do love our fitteds though - mostly B4s :).

GL!

#87 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythik View Post

I have mostly bamboo prefolds and bamboo fitteds for this LO. I used cotton prefolds with DS and fitteds but the didn't care for the cotton. I love the sotfness and absorbency of the bamboo prefolds. Our fitteds are mostly kissaluvs, guerilla fluff, grahambearwear, bububebe and a few others. For AIOs I have two each of BG aio xs and Grovia newborn aio's. I haven't tried the AIOs on a newb so this will be a first for us.

I plan on mostly using wool and fitteds for the first few months then they will be in our onesized diapers. I have both fitteds and aio's and pockets. I have been prefering our pockets/aio's lately as DS is in daycare and it's just easier to use them 24/7. I do love our fitteds though - mostly B4s :).

GL!
The B4s are awesome! Those are my current fav as I'm going more the fitted route. They are so great for night, <3 them!

#89 ·
I love my cloth diapers, however, we just moved and ever since a long train trip last Christmas I have been doing disposable. I hated myself for it at first, but there was no way I was doing cloth while on the train for three days there & three days back. Then we moved into a new apartment with no washer/dryer, and I was not going to haul all my diapers to the laundromat every other day. Sorry, it just wasn't gonna happen. So I'm waiting for spring, so I can go back to handwashing them like I used to do, and hanging them out on my deck to dry. I am really looking forward to breaking out the ol' cloth didies again. Yay!!! Freshly hand-washed and sun-dried dipers! Come on, spring!

#90 ·
Quote: Originally posted by ~pi

If I had a kid who peed every 20 minutes, I'd probably be looking at either EC, disposables, or some sort of more serious wicking liner.

Interesting. I guess I thought it was normal for babies to pee every 20 minutes (that's what DD did when she was having naked time, which was often).

And she never minded being wet in the least (guess the stay-dry inners had something to do with that), so between that and the PUL covers, if she was wearing a diaper I had no idea exactly when she peed. I just changed about every 2 hours unless she leaked.

#92 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlit View Post

I had been planning to try to use cloth for this LO... but then found out I'm expecting twins and am a bit intimidated by the idea now! What do you guys think? Is it doable with twins....... or just too much laundry??? (I hate laundry!) Also, I may have to use child care and am wondering how that would work with cloth diapering- would I just use disposables for daycare and cloth while at home? (I'm guessing most daycare centers wouldn't do cloth). Ideally I'd like to find a pt nanny, but not sure if that is financially possible...
I believe a lot of childcare places will do cloth now. You would probably want to find out that 1st. AIOs or pockets with velcro would be very easy for daycare to use because they are very much like disposables. As far as laundry i do it every other to every 2 days with one child so you could probably still do it every other & it would probably get better as they got older & use less diapers. I have a 6mo. old & he's kind of a heavy wetter so he's changed every 2 to 3hrs...only once or twice @ night since he's still nursing 1 or 2 times at night just to give you some indication of how many we go through. HTH....it's def. doable but there is laundry involved.

#93 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by korintherin View Post

We used cloth with DS and will do so again. We went with a diaper service, since our septic system is nearing "retirement age" :)

So, we used the service's cotton prefolds and bought our own PUL covers (we were responsible for washing those). I called the 800 number for Proraps seconds. Never a moment's regret.

We also used Pampers for times when CD wasn't the best option (certain travel, or baaaad diaper rash, when Desitin was needed and can't be used with CD). Then they changed something about the diapers and DS got a horrible reaction, like a chemical burn. So we switched to 7thG for those, and only 7thG wipes.

ETA: I'm interested in trying wool covers this time around, especially with a cold-weather baby! The term "soakers" scared me off initially, until I met a kid with a pair on, and got to ask his mama whether or not they really get soaked.
Wool is great! Works well for summer & winter from what I am told. Supposedly it is great at regulating body heat, warm in winter, cool in summer. I used it all winter with my heavy wetter & has been great. It is antibacterial & soaks up 30% of it's weight in liquid i think it is. Much easier to take care of than i thought which is why it took me so long to get on the wool bandwagon, that and the price. The care is about a once a month washing & just turn it inside after used overnight to let it air out during the day & no smell at all & dry as can be. Love it!

#94 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post

can someone explain longies to a newbie? Also do they have to be wool?
They have to be wool or fleece to be used as a cover. They are just fleece or wool pants to be worn over fitted diapers or another dipe that would require a cover. The wool can be interlock or knit. They repel & absorb liquid & allows it to be breathable vs. pul material if that makes any sense.

#95 ·
Quote:

Sigh, I'm on the fence about this. I'm sure this thread is a good place to get a push in the right direction. ;)

We CD'ed DD for about 8 months. Eventually we switched to sposies when my MIL became our daytime caregiver and she didn't want to deal with the cloth.

I never minded the laundry - actually I far preferred it to big stinky trash bags - but really the sposies worked so much better. I tried a number of different cloth options and unfortunately the sposies just ruled them all in terms of comfort for baby (feeling dry, not leaving marks on the skin, and not heating up too much - we used PUL covers and really if you stuck your finger in the baby's diaper it was always way too warm in there). Also we had leaks with all the CDs we tried - it got somewhat better over time but honestly I think I just got used to dealing with the occasional leak. But the sposies never leaked. Like, ever. There was a tendency to be rashier in cloth as well I think, though it wasn't a huge difference.

I really can't stand the environmental impact of the sposies though. I get a little sick every time I take a bag of dirty sposies out the door. But I also have a hard time with the idea that I should just let baby be uncomfortable so I can save the planet.

I am toying with the idea of buying some newborn prefolds and trying them out, maybe coverless most of the time? We never did try prefolds - I wanted the stay-dry surface for the comfort factor so most of the diapers I tried had synthetic inners. I no longer think that's a good idea because, combined with the PUL outer, I think it contributed to the overheating issue. Also I hear prefolds are better at containing leaks than the more 'designer' diapers (I would probably still do PUL covers when out of the house).

I dunno. I think I'm done trying out different kinds of diapers though. If I do the prefold thing it will be my last hurrah for diaper experimentation.
Hmmm...they really shouldn't be leaking all the time, maybe every once in a while on a rare occasion like dad putting diaper on too loose, lol. I wonder if your detergent or some other build up was causing them to repel, it also could cause rashes if there was a build up of some sort. I found when I went to fitted with wool at night & a lot of the time during the day as well vs a pul diaper the rashes would go away & not come back. Wool is very good at regulating heat & breathable which should totally help with the rash situation if not eliminate it. You don't really get leaks like you can with pul either. If the diaper fits right & material is absorbent enough they really shouldn't leak. I would check the fit & then your washing routine, once you figure out what is happening I think you will be so much happier with it. I love CDing but wouldn't if I had the same issues. I do like AIO for their trimness under clothes but plan on going to mostly fitteds & wool during the summer :)

Oh & using a fleece liner might help with wetness against babies skin :)

#96 ·
Hmmm...they really shouldn't be leaking all the time, maybe every once in a while on a rare occasion like dad putting diaper on too loose, lol. I wonder if your detergent or some other build up was causing them to repel, it also could cause rashes if there was a build up of some sort. I found when I went to fitted with wool at night & a lot of the time during the day as well vs a pul diaper the rashes would go away & not come back. Wool is very good at regulating heat & breathable which should totally help with the rash situation if not eliminate it. You don't really get leaks like you can with pul either. If the diaper fits right & material is absorbent enough they really shouldn't leak. I would check the fit & then your washing routine, once you figure out what is happening I think you will be so much happier with it. I love CDing but wouldn't if I had the same issues. I do like AIO for their trimness under clothes but plan on going to mostly fitteds & wool during the summer :)

Oh & using a fleece liner might help with wetness against babies skin :)

#98 ·
Quote:

Interesting. I guess I thought it was normal for babies to pee every 20 minutes (that's what DD did when she was having naked time, which was often).
For all I know, it is! I am a camel (e.g., I'm very well hydrated and yet I never get up to pee in the night, even at the end of pregnancy) and DS seems to have inherited that from me. I was just saying that if I lived a different reality, I might make different choices.
smile.gif

#99 ·
I have a question for all the experienced fitted cloth diaperers :)

I'm looking into the BubuBebe fitted cloth diapers as they seem extremely well made and super cute. I'm wondering - how many of each size would I need for daily use? I'm absolutely fine with washing diapers every day. The newborn diapers run all the way to 16 lbs. My baby is expected to be rather small as I am as well.

Thanks for suggestions and advice :)

#100 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelmina View Post

I have a question for all the experienced fitted cloth diaperers :)

I'm looking into the BubuBebe fitted cloth diapers as they seem extremely well made and super cute. I'm wondering - how many of each size would I need for daily use? I'm absolutely fine with washing diapers every day. The newborn diapers run all the way to 16 lbs. My baby is expected to be rather small as I am as well.

Thanks for suggestions and advice :)
As you prob. already saw I love the B4's. I would prob. expect to go through 12 diapers a day in the beginning. As it takes a few hrs+ to wash & dry i would have a few extra to get me through. If I were to CD a newborn now I would prob. look on Diaperswappers for some EUC NB dipes as you can get some good deals & mine was only in them for maybe a month if that. I didn't use the B4s then though. I had Swaddlebees fitted which i believe were for up to 16 lbs as well & he outgrew them at 10 or 12lbs i believe, but he was in those longer than any of his other NB dipes & i did really like them for a NB diaper. Once baby is bigger you can use OS B4s & those are great but I don't know when they start fitting into them. HTH.

#101 ·
I have about 30 newborn diapers and about the same in rotation of our one size for DS. When DS was a newborn I would change up up to 12-18x/day depending on how often he pooped, if he pooped on the new diaper after I removed the dirty, peed on the new diaper before it was on, etc. I like having extras as you never know if you will have a CS or something else that may make it hard to wash daily. Having 2 doz one size diapers in rotation at 3+ months worked fine for us (but I am addicted and have more like 50 or so. I plan on using them all for this LO and the next if we are lucky :) (hope to use the same diapers for 3). As a toddler you will find that you change them less frequently as they PL and learn to hold it more.

GL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.