Who else is cloth-diapering? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious who the others mamas who use cloth are and what you're planning on using. biggrinbounce.gif I would love to hear from the mamas who don't know or want to learn more about it, too! Cloth can be addictive though, so watch out. winky.gif

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#2 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I AM CDing!  JUST FOUND OUT I'M PREGNANT TODAY!!!  I'm using Happy Heiny's organic one size cloth diapers with fuzzibunz hemp inserts on my 1yr old right now but dont think i'll be using them on my newborn because I think they'll be too bulky and the snaps dont stay closed well for the one-size adjusting.

Any recommendations on best CDs for newborns?  I will not use a diaper with polyester fleece for staying dry is my only thing.  I use Grovia bioliners and like them a lot.  I also have some silk liners.  They do a great job at keeping baby dry.  I dont like petroleum based fabrics next to my childs skin, or the fact that it is petroleum that is harmful to the environment and non-renewable.

:D

#3 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I'll be using all my old cloth again this time. It's too expensive (in many ways, not just $) to do the other way, although I am not looking forward to the laundry! DS pretty much day trained himself before age 2 and I haven't been dealing with diapers much for about a year. I was never bitten by the addictive diaper bug though!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#4 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Awesome news!

I think tiny prefolds are the way to go with newborns because they can be molded exactly to the baby's body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

I AM CDing!  JUST FOUND OUT I'M PREGNANT TODAY!!!  I'm using Happy Heiny's organic one size cloth diapers with fuzzibunz hemp inserts on my 1yr old right now but dont think i'll be using them on my newborn because I think they'll be too bulky and the snaps dont stay closed well for the one-size adjusting.

Any recommendations on best CDs for newborns?  I will not use a diaper with polyester fleece for staying dry is my only thing.  I use Grovia bioliners and like them a lot.  I also have some silk liners.  They do a great job at keeping baby dry.  I dont like petroleum based fabrics next to my childs skin, or the fact that it is petroleum that is harmful to the environment and non-renewable.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#5 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 PM

This is my first and I plan on CDing.  I don't know all the differences in the brands and I hear a lot of it is personal preference.  My plan is to put a few different types on my registry as well as some regular disposables and when the baby is born sign up for one of those trials that you can try different types out.  Any of you have any preferences or suggestions for a first timer?

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#6 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 07:39 PM

I will be doing a combo of cloth and ec (elimination communication). Since we ec I prefer for my cloth not to be extremely absorbent as I change it often. I prefer fitted diapers with covers ( I use both wool adn plu) as I can choose to use them with or without the covers. My nb diapers are about 3 doz pre-folds that a friend converted into fitted diapers. Then the next size up are fitted lucy's hope chest diapers. I like them a lot and they have held up well through 2 kiddos. I also purchased 1 doz (and plan to purchase 1 doz more) pull ups from www.sassycloth.com. She will custom make these so they can be in the really small sizes. They are great bcs they easily pull up and down and bcs they velcro (or snap) on the sides. They have lasted well and my dd fit in them forever. They are very reasonably priced too.

Advice for newbies: Buy a few plu covers (get different brands and buy used) and make or buy one or 2 wool covers (use pre-folds with or without a snappy for your nb size). Then by the time you get into the mediums you will have a better idea of what type of wetter you have, how often you do laundry, if you need them to dry quickly, how easy do you want them to be able to change, etc.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#7 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM

For the newbies- look up cloth diapering 101 on youtube.  Its pretty informative!

#8 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 PM

I'm going to use cloth. I have an OK stash at this point (because we've been planning to adopt for a while) but I need to add a few more things. I'd like to get some Smartipants to try, and a WAHM brand called Prairie Tales.

#9 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 PM

We use cloth for DS and will be using cloth for this little one as well. We use BumGenius AIO Organics and for the newborn phase I rented Kissluv (sp?). 

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#10 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 PM

I had been planning to try to use cloth for this LO... but then found out I'm expecting twins and am a bit intimidated by the idea now!  What do you guys think?  Is it doable with twins....... or just too much laundry??? (I hate laundry!)   Also, I may have to use child care and am wondering how that would work with cloth diapering- would I just use disposables for daycare and cloth while at home?  (I'm guessing most daycare centers wouldn't do cloth).  Ideally I'd like to find a pt nanny, but not sure if that is financially possible...

RN-BSN student mama to my wildchild, DS, 6 bouncy.gif....with twin boys on the way October 4, 2011!

#11 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 PM

ddcc

i would totally do it.. think of the savings...... i love prefolds for newborns and tiny babies

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#12 of 129 Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 PM

starlit - I had a friend with twins who cloth diapered. Remember you don't have to go 100%.

I did cloth with ds. I made prefolds & used Mommy's Touch one sized cover. I reallllly liked these diaper covers. I intended to use primarily wool but every one that I made just didn't fit right - never did figure it out & then just gave up & stuck to the pul covers. I will be making more prefolds for this baby in a smaller size 'cause mine were realllllly bulky when he was little.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#13 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 05:01 AM

RE: daycare: the trick is to show them how easy it is, pockets or AIO are best for daycare. they go on and off as easily as a 'sposie, only difference is in many states (maybe all?) you need to have a separate wet bag for each diap that is used. Ask around I am sure there are daycares that will accomodate.

We started CD'ing DS around 7 months (I ran out of sposies in the size he needed and would need to spend money on more diapers either way. Chose to do cloth and have not looked back since!) At first I did prefolds and covers, with some AI2 options thrown in for when we were out and about. As he got older and more wriggly, we have largely moved to pockets, though I still have prefolds and covers in the stash. they are good back up when it gets close to laundry day, or I need to put off laundry for a day.

For this baby, I am torn as to what to do first. We have a massive amount (like 30+ packs) of size 1 sposies we never used on DS. However they do not hold in newborn blowout poo very well (at ALL really) and I would end up washing poo stained clothes anyway . . . . so am thinking we may just do prefolds and covers for the new baby. I have green-edged prefolds and I think they would be small enough for a newborn, I would just need some covers. It is a dilemma . . . but we have lots of time to think about it!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#14 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 05:03 AM

I used cloth for #1 and #2 and plan to again, though laundry won't be as easy here. I also do EC so maybe that will motivate me to really do that more! We've done what was cheap/free, and I've seen the plus sides of the different dipes I've used. I like prefolds, I like wool soakers (yes, easy to make), I loved the kissaluvs I bought for DS when he was little, but passed those on and never got them back. I loved the motherease sandy's that I got for DS when he was a little bigger, and am using them for DD as well. I got a TON of fuzzibunz loan/given by neighbors for DD and those were very convenient.  Luckily a friend who has a LO right now is planning to box up and send me a big stash of small dipes, so that is awesome! This pregnancy was a surprise, and plus we moved across the country when DD was 15, so I really wasn't hanging onto a lot of diapers. Ah well! If someone is offering baby gifts, I will register for 3m of diaper service or something, though in the past people haven't bought me much for babies and I'd be surprised if they do for #3. Though maybe the ILs would if we straight up asked... IME EC really cut down the number if diapers but didn't eliminate them completely.

dissertating mom to three

#15 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

IME, Happy Heiny's run pretty large. I loved them for my super huge son before he PL'd! As for a good, natural dipe for a newbie - you could do prefolds, prefitteds or cotton/bamboo/hemo fitteds. There are so many brands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post

This is my first and I plan on CDing.  I don't know all the differences in the brands and I hear a lot of it is personal preference.  My plan is to put a few different types on my registry as well as some regular disposables and when the baby is born sign up for one of those trials that you can try different types out.  Any of you have any preferences or suggestions for a first timer?

There is a lot to learn about it but it's not bad once you get started. I remember feeling so daunted and not knowing where to start. I think trying out some different types is a great idea. www.jilliansdrawers.com does a trial plan that I have heard is great. You could also buy used. Just remember to always check feedback and ask the right questions. I have gone through all different types of diapers since I began CD'ing with my oldest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherCPST View Post

I'm going to use cloth. I have an OK stash at this point (because we've been planning to adopt for a while) but I need to add a few more things. I'd like to get some Smartipants to try, and a WAHM brand called Prairie Tales.

Never heard of Prairie Tales. Link? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodge View Post

We use cloth for DS and will be using cloth for this little one as well. We use BumGenius AIO Organics and for the newborn phase I rented Kissluv (sp?). 

That's what I did with DS2. I wasn't a fan of them. But my kids are super soakers. Some people love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlit View Post

I had been planning to try to use cloth for this LO... but then found out I'm expecting twins and am a bit intimidated by the idea now!  What do you guys think?  Is it doable with twins....... or just too much laundry??? (I hate laundry!)   Also, I may have to use child care and am wondering how that would work with cloth diapering- would I just use disposables for daycare and cloth while at home?  (I'm guessing most daycare centers wouldn't do cloth).  Ideally I'd like to find a pt nanny, but not sure if that is financially possible...

Yea, it doesn't have to be fulltime. And, you may not actually have much of an uphill battle to get a DCP to use cloth. You just have to show them how easy it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

I used cloth for #1 and #2 and plan to again, though laundry won't be as easy here. I also do EC so maybe that will motivate me to really do that more! We've done what was cheap/free, and I've seen the plus sides of the different dipes I've used. I like prefolds, I like wool soakers (yes, easy to make), I loved the kissaluvs I bought for DS when he was little, but passed those on and never got them back. I loved the motherease sandy's that I got for DS when he was a little bigger, and am using them for DD as well. I got a TON of fuzzibunz loan/given by neighbors for DD and those were very convenient.  Luckily a friend who has a LO right now is planning to box up and send me a big stash of small dipes, so that is awesome! This pregnancy was a surprise, and plus we moved across the country when DD was 15, so I really wasn't hanging onto a lot of diapers. Ah well! If someone is offering baby gifts, I will register for 3m of diaper service or something, though in the past people haven't bought me much for babies and I'd be surprised if they do for #3. Though maybe the ILs would if we straight up asked... IME EC really cut down the number if diapers but didn't eliminate them completely.

A friend of mine does EC and thinks I should try. I wonder if it would be too much work. lol

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#16 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and AFM - I am using mainly fitteds, some prefitteds, and some AIO's. I will have some PUL covers, but mainly wool. I LOVE wool! I'm only buying for the newbie stage, as I already have a bunch of OS dipes from my older boys.

#17 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 05:59 AM

Cloth here for sure! We are currently using Smartipants on our 17 mo old. We have used them his whole life and I still love them!! I am excited to get some more though because I assume I will probably have two kids in dipes to some extent! Hopefully I can buy the cute girl colors this time ;) 

Mom to energy.gif Lucy Jo 1-06, hbac.gif Samuel Jude 9-09 with belly.gif baby #3 on the way sometime in October! We homeschool.gifnocirc.gifsaynovax.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifwinner.jpg
#18 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 07:04 AM
~pi

We used cloth with DS and will do it again. I don't actually find it addictive at all, but when I got pregnant with DS, both DH and I were grad students, so we deliberately chose a very basic, low cost system (prefolds, snap covers, homemade* microfleece liner strips, and homemade** wool covers.)

We still have all the prefolds and snap covers from DS, though we accidentally shrunk our wool covers when we got a new washing machine, so we*** will need to make a new set. I think we'll also get a new piece of microfleece to cut up for liners, as we have been using those as washable kleenex and rags ever since DS potty-trained, so they are getting pretty grubby.

We may consider investing in more pocket diapers this time. We had a couple we got as gifts last time, and they were so great to have. We'll probably also use disposables for the meconium weeks, and possibly also at night. They go in industrial compost here, so there is slightly less environmental guilt, and they are definitely less work than cloth.

*Homemade = a big piece of microfleece, cut into strips.

**Homemade = made out of sweaters from the used clothing store.

***We = DH, who insisted on being allowed to take home ec in addition to shop back in elementary school, and can therefore run a sewing machine far better than I can.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#19 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 AM

I've been cloth diapering for 6+ years now, so of course we will continue with the new LO.

We use fitteds and wool. I might get a few PUL covers also.

I'm planning to sew my own fitteds out of cotton interlock. I want to have a diaper party, kind of like a baby shower, but no presents - everyone just comes and helps sew (plus eats some yummy food and visits / has fun!).

I'm also knitting up a whole stash of NB wool. (I learned to knit longies after DD2 was born). So much fun!

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

#20 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 09:34 AM

I want to cloth diaper..my biggest concerns are startup cost and laundry. About 6 months ago I had ordered a trial pack from nomorebummers.com but ended up deciding against it because it seemed like my son was ready to potty learn (he wasn't) and I didn't think I would have more kids..I really regret that now! But provided I can start a stash soon and spread out the cost maybe I will be able to do it. I want it to be easy, cute and low cost..lol not sure that all goes together though. I really wish I could learn to sew and make my own but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#21 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 10:00 AM

We used cloth with DS and will do so again. We went with a diaper service, since our septic system is nearing "retirement age" :)

So, we used the service's cotton prefolds and bought our own PUL covers (we were responsible for washing those). I called the 800 number for Proraps seconds. Never a moment's regret.

We also used Pampers for times when CD wasn't the best option (certain travel, or baaaad diaper rash, when Desitin was needed and can't be used with CD). Then they changed something about the diapers and DS got a horrible reaction, like a chemical burn. So we switched to 7thG for those, and only 7thG wipes.

ETA: I'm interested in trying wool covers this time around, especially with a cold-weather baby! The term "soakers" scared me off initially, until I met a kid with a pair on, and got to ask his mama whether or not they really get soaked.

#22 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 AM

We do! I love cloth diapering! :)  DD is still in diapers but I'm hoping she'll be out of of them by the time baby comes. Only time will tell!

The bulk of our stash is prefolds with a handful of fitteds thrown in. I think I'll pick up a few more fitteds to round out our stash. I prefer sized fitteds and covers over one size.  The workhorse fitteds from GMD are a great price and I like them on DD. I'll have to get the NB and small diapers out of storage and assess the situation to see what I might need want. winky.gif

Although I have a few PUL covers for days at the beach and sick days I much prefer wool. I will need to pick up a few more wool covers and longies along the way. Waiting to find out gender before I buy or make longies. I did use PUL with dd as a newborn and still have all those covers. That was nice with all the EBF poop while I figured out a good fold to contain it on her little body. I never had blow outs outside of the cover!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#23 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 10:03 AM

This is our first and we are fully on board with cloth diapering!

We are still figuring out the loads of different options and are attending a cloth diaper workshop to get a better idea of what we like, but so far I am finding myself partial to the pre-fold and cover options and have been looking at the bumGenius and bumbini brands.

How many pre-folds and covers would one suggest is best to have on hand for newbie parents? I will be avoiding wool, as I am vegan so I think that fleece will be my other go to.

#24 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM

We use cloth with DS and will with the new baby, too.  With DS, we used the sposies we got at showers for the first 10 days or so til the meconium was gone.  (FYI, a bit of olive oil on the bum at every change makes the next change easier).  Then we used newborn prefolds and thirsties duo-wraps size small til he outgrew those, prob at 6 weeks or so.  Then we used Sposo-Easy AIO's in size small til 5 mos or so.  Now we used mostly Dream-Eze Organic AIO's and some Sposo-Easy AIO's, both in medium.  Dream-eze has since changed names to Grovia and are one size I think.  I like that Dream-eze hold more pee than Sposo-Easy, but they are snaps only whereas the sposoeasy we have are velcro. 

Since we plan to have a couple more kids, I went with sized dipes for a better fit rather than one-size.  Most say that one-size only last through 1-2 kids anyway since you use them up to 3 years per kid.  I hope to have our current stash last through at least 2 kids, maybe 3.  The Dream-eze are showing wear on the cotton lining around the elastic, and the Sposo-easys have some thread undone aroudn the velcro panel, but neither has been a problem so far.  (This is only for size medium, the smalls are fine since we used them less time I guess).

Prefolds with snappis are easy and certainly way cheaper than aio's, but DH didn;t want to use them.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#25 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 AM

I'm definitely going to CD, but I already use CD on DS, so it's already my way of life. smile.gif I'm going to start off with prefolds, fitteds and pockets,  then eventually switch to just fitteds and pockets when the baby hits the squirmy stage. Since DS is a 16 mo ball of energy, I'm looking forward to having a baby that stays still during diaper changes cause that makes using prefolds easy. I part-time EC my DS and I'm going to do the same for the new baby. EC (even just part-time) and CD is a dynamite combo b/c by the time my DS was eating solids he almost always would hold his poop for the potty. That has made diapering so much more pleasant!

SAHM to DS (11/09) with a little girl coming in October stork-girl.gif familybed1.gif

#26 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 AM

Laundry is no big deal for me, especially if you have enough diapers, I would say 20!  If you are concerned about startup cost, save some money each month, and then buy them, or buy a few each month.   Also look for sales and coupon codes online.

#27 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 AM

With my first two, cloth diapering was still gerber cloth with pins, with thos horrible plastic pants! So much has changed since then, so i'm really excited to cloth diaper this time. (Especially now that I have a washing machine!)

I think i'm leaning towards thirsties wraps with prefolds...but I'm not entirely sure.

I've heard that the pockets can cause problems with bunching up in the bottom of the pocket-and I don't want to fork out a ton of money for all in ones! I like the cost of prefolds with covers-and you don't need near as many covers as you do prefolds, since the covers can be washed and dried so quickly!

I'm still open to ideas-there's a really awesome children's store across the street from my house that has a huge section that specializes in cloth diapers. They have a ton of different brands, and a diaper expert who will help you choose the best for your child and budget. It's pretty sweet. AND, they have really nice brand name/gently worn children's clothing on consignment for super cheap. How lucky is that?? 

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#28 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 AM

I will be using all my cloth again for this baby. We use indian prefolds and diaper covers/wool soakers.

I was worried about laundry too until I talked to someone who told me about EC or elimination communication. We have been doing EC since DS was 1 month old and in the 15 months he's been around I can count on both hands (under 10 times) how many 'dirty' diapers I have had to wash. I can't even tell you how impressed I am with the fact that babies CAN go on the toilet. So it's fair to say we will be doing the same with baby #2 !

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

#29 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 PM

I've cd'ed all my kids so far (since '99). I went through a serious obsession at one point but in the end, made my entire stash Fuzzibunz. This time, I don't know what I want to do. I might get Kissaluvs O (the new version w/ microfiber) for the newborn stage and Kissaluvs Hybrid Diapers for the rest of the time. I really want to use wool longies that I plan to knit (if I can get my act together!) and some merino wool longies that I will purchase. I don't want to go all nuts over diapers again. I'm really craving simplicity this time around! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#30 of 129 Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM

We CD with our first, we used a variety of options at first but have settled into using a stash of about 20 BumGenius 3.0 pockets the vast majority of the time.  The hard thing about planning to CD is that different dipes are best for different babies and different parents, and it's hard to know what will work for you.

One resource I wish I had known about was the trial program they have at Jillian's Drawers.  http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/tryclothfor10

You rent a variety pack of new diapers for 3 weeks for $10, and then you either send everything back or keep just what you want and buy those at a discount.  There's a newborn version and an everything-else version.

Another option a lot of mamas I know have done was stalk the consignment stores for cloth dipes.  That way you can try various types out without the huge investment, and you can re-sell those that don't work for you for only a little less than what you paid.

mama to Hank - 12/09/09

Tags
Cloth Diapers , Diaper , Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page