Advice on having a natural and healthy pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello everyone, I just found out I am pregnant with #2!  My EDD is 10/31/11.  I am still breastfeeding my 1yr old(any thoughts on this?), and am just wondering what are some beliefs everyone has on having a natural, healthy pregnancy?  One of my beliefs is not using a dopplar or ultrasound because the penetrating radiation can interfere with development.  I will also not be taking any medicines,  drinking caffine, etc.

#2 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Congratulations, and welcome!  This is our first.  I personally believe that the best thing a momma can do to have a healthy pregnancy and birth is to eat well and exercise.  Nutrition is SO important, and has the biggest impact on pregnancy more than any other factor.  Most OB's have minimal to none (like a few hours during medschool) of nutritional instruction, but good nutrition can prevent a multitude of issues that are common with pregnancy (for example, there is though to be a link between inadequate protein intake and preeclampsia).

The decision to do ultrasounds/dopplers/screenings etc are a personal choice- for some women they are essential to have the peace of mind they need to have a healthy pregnancy, and som women prefer to go without them.  In any case, the family should ask what information to they hope to gain, and what purpose they expect the information to serve.  I personally believe that in a normal, healthy pregnancy, the potential risks of ultrasounds (it hasn't been proven either safe or unsafe) weigh the benefits, but this is a very personal decision, and for some women, the benefits do outweigh the risks.

Way to go on the caffeine.  I was (am) a coffee addict, and so far I'm most proud of myself for giving up coffee. 

How did you feel during your last pregnancy?  Are there things that worked really well for you?  Anything you expect to do differently this time around?

Congrats again!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#3 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

O I certainly agree on the nutrition and exercise part!  As far as that goes, I did not know about BPA linings in cans, and I ate canned soups during my last pregnancy. 

I was not near as aware of things during my last pregnancy, such as the dopplar and US things.  I had a pretty typical pregnancy.  I tried to eat organic, exercized, ate good, didnt take medicines or caffine, etc.   But I really wish I had not gotten dopplars or ultrasound done.  In the area where I live there are no midwives so I will probably end up having another hospital birth.  I didnt like the hospital practically forcing interventions on me last time, and doing things without my consent (like giving my baby the vitamin K shot and putting antibiotics in her eyes!, cutting umbilical cord immediatly before it ceased to pulsate, not giving me my baby immediatly so I could breastfeed, but instead cleaning her, putting on a diaper and wrapping her up so she could not be skin to skin), so I will submit an extremely detailed birth plan to both my Dr and the labor and delivery and postpartum unit ahead of time.

Things that worked really well for me was practicing yoga during my pregnancy, eating well, exercise, staying CALM throughtout the whole pregnancy, labor, delivery, etc.  Trusting in my body throughtout the whole thing.  If I take care of my body, it will take care of me and my baby.  Trusting not just your body, but your instincts it HUGE.  Like not letting your baby cry themselves to sleep, holding them a lot, etc.

After my baby was born, I held her ALL the time, even when she slept.  A baby carrier is a must.  I also slept with her in my bed, I breastfed on demand(no "every 3 hours" schedual, its when she needed it).  I learned that SIDS is often caused by off-gassings, so I used cloth diapers and got a completely organic mattress and crib bedding.  I learned SIDS can also be caused by vaccines so I do not vaccinate(just one reason among many others that I do not vaccinate)

I am actually still breastfeeding, it has been amazing.  Our bond is wonderful, and my baby is so healthy.  I would say breastfeeding is one of the biggest MUSTS.  I know its not always possible, but try try try, you wont regret it!  I am so afraid I will lose my milk because of this pregnancy.  Neither of us are ready to give it up!

#4 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Congratulations to you! And you and I have the SAME due date ("Boo! date"--get it, Halloween? I'm a dork!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

Hello everyone, I just found out I am pregnant with #2!  My EDD is 10/31/11.  I am still breastfeeding my 1yr old(any thoughts on this?), and am just wondering what are some beliefs everyone has on having a natural, healthy pregnancy?  One of my beliefs is not using a dopplar or ultrasound because the penetrating radiation can interfere with development.  I will also not be taking any medicines,  drinking caffine, etc.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#5 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome!  I have a feeling I wont give birth til beginning of Nov though

#6 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 11:33 AM

I really truly believe that a woman's emotional state and state of mind have way more to do with a healthy pregnancy and birth outcome than we know!  I'm really trying to focus on that this time as well as eating good, exercising and taking my vitamins. This might sound selfish but I am not going to have a lot of contact with people who are negative or that like to just drain my energy. I need that energy for my baby and my family! I plan on doing at least some form of meditation, maybe yoga this time, and keeping my thoughts and emotions as positive as I can.

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

#7 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

I totally agree!!  I have a yoga for pregnancy DVD and I took a yoga class last time:)

#8 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 PM

Congrats! I have a couple friends that did tandem nursing very successfully! : ) You should really look into prenatal yoga! I sear up and and down its the reason I didn't tear with my second baby. Good luck! 

treehugger.gifKayleigh is a Marine wife to Ben & SAHM to Colton 2.5yrs and Liam 1.5yrs 

After 2 beautiful boys we're having a GIRL!

Little Miss Addie

20****25**stork-girl.gif*30****35****40**

#9 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thats awesome, I am really worried about the nursing.  I just made my first appointment and was told that I needed to wean and I said I was not planning on it.  Lol, she didnt seem too thrilled with that.

#10 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I wonder why she thought you "needed" to wean. I get annoyed when peoples' opinions come out as prescriptions for health.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#11 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah good point.  Ridiculous.  So does anyone have any negative experiences with BFing through a pregnancy?  Such as negative effects on the fetus?

#12 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 PM

no way on weaning if you don't want to. my old neighbor had 4 kids and tandemed for each one... her kids are like the smartest, healthiest, most beautiful, well-adjusted kids you can imagine. you should ask that doc why she said that! I've never heard anything like that (though I've pretty much only ever had midwives and nurse-practitioners providing my care... maybe that is my advice on having a healthy pregnancy? don't listed too hard to the docs?)

dissertating mom to three

#13 of 16 Old 03-02-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

O that sounds great.  I wish so much I could have a midwife but there are none in my super-secluded, conservative area.  None who travel here either.  Dont worry I stand up for myself, listen to my instincts, and do my own research.

Thanks!

#14 of 16 Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I am feeling so encouraged, I just got off the phone with WIC and she was so great about me still BFing through pregnancy.  She said it was not a problem, it was great, etc and it just makes me feel so good that not everyone out there is trying to discourage my BFing.

#15 of 16 Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM

My Dr specifically told me that there is no problem with breastfeeding through pregnancy. I didn't need to hear it from her but thought hearing from another source might be reassuring to you!  My sister has 8 kids... she has tandem nursed with most of them!  I'm planning to do the same with my little one unless she decides otherwise.

I really think doing yoga through my last pregnancy was great! I didn't have a specific prenatal class I could attend but still found it to be wonderful. A good teacher will help you with adjustments and variations even if its not a prenatal yoga class. I'm doing yoga now too and love it!  It's a wonderful physical and mental break for me 2x a week.

Getting out for walks and fresh air has helped me as well. Sometimes I have to force myself out of the house because I'm so exhausted at this point but I'm always glad I did it.

I was very specific in my birth plan about no shots, eye drops, etc... Hopefully they will respect your wishes without a fight. I also asked for us to be left alone for 2 hours after birth. I just held DD and we didn't clean her up and bathe her till the next day! She got weighed at around 3 hours old or so.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#16 of 16 Old 03-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

CONGRATULATIONS!

For me a healthy pregnancy is one where I have some ideas, but where I'm flexible enough to know that those plans might not work out.  I believe, that for me personally, that philosophy helps when things don't work out the way you want them to and you can still function just fine without overwhelming feelings of guilt, shame or depression.

So, personally:  I try not to have caffeine, but if I have the odd chocolate, baby and I will both just be fine.  I haven't had ultrasounds or dopplers with my last pregnancy, but I won't hesitate a moment to have one this time round if I/my midwife feel it is necessary.  I might even have one at 20 weeks to find out the gender, LOL...  but I doubt it!  We're planning a water homebirth and hopefully that works out.  My waterbirths have been my best births so far.   I accept that I have never reached that whole feeling of total peace and no pain during labour and that it will feel like hectically sore, but that I would get through it and my baby and I will be fine.  I'm planning on combine diapering:  cloth and disposable.  For me and my family that is what will work best.

I'm still breastfeeding my 20 month old as well.  So far I'm okay because I've had no nipple soreness or anything which is great.

I'm not eating any carbs right now because they make me feel so sick and I vomit when I have them.  If I don't have them I'm feeling fine with just the odd twinge of queasiness...  so, I reckon I can either eat the carbs and vomit and not get any nutrition, or else I can cut them out for a while until I don't feel so bad when I don't eat them  :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page