The Weirdest thing happened at the Midwife appointment today... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am thrown for a complete loop.

I went to my first midwife appointment-she was very nice and I think we will work fine together.

However.

She and all the other midwives are younger than I am. Very obviously so.

I feel completely thrown! I didn't know I'd have this reaction! I usually am non-discriminatory. But this is my 4th baby, and I know what I want and what I will allow....and I know enough about the birth journey that I feel "wise" in most senses. I don't know how these young women can provide the kind of emotional support that I need.

OMG. I don't even know what to think!!! HELP!!!!!

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#2 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 AM

Some things to think about: They have likely routinely had clients your age. While they may have less experience overall than an older or granny-type midwife, they are likely fresher in their practice and less likely to be burnt out. They may have a zest and excitement about their roles that sometimes midwives well into their practices do not have (not that this is the norm, but it does happen).

Overall, I'd ask myself if I connected with them and am comfortable with their clinical experience and personalities. Ask for some references from past clients if you need to.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#3 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM

I totally get that. I think I'd feel the same way. I don't know how I could make myself comfortable with a younger midwife. Hmmm

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#4 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies-I don't know how exactly I'm going to work this out, since I don't really have another option...but just talking about it and having it understood made it a lot less frightening.:)

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#5 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Just imagine ... all their education is fresh in their bright, young, eager firecracker brains!  As a paramedic, I was way more on top of things and all of the complexities of care when I was a new paramedic than I am now.  They'll do great!  That, and they'll be so concerned with screwing up, they'll be all that much more diligent. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#6 of 6 Old 03-04-2011, 05:46 AM

Gabesgrl, I know how you feel. I've had 2 different granny midwives before, and now we are in a different town looking for another one. I met the local laymidwife and she is only a little older then me, which is such a different dynamic! I think I may be up for it, but it is a difference for me. When I have a midwife that has been doing it for 30 years, she usually has a core group of homebirthers in the area that know of her. Like people who say, "oh, you had so and so, she delivered my son, and he's 13! She's wonderful!" And older women make me feel like my own mom or grandma are taking care of me, in a way, that older-woman dynamic, that I don't have as much since both my mom and grandma have passed away.

However I also am hearing great things about this slightly younger midwife, and one of my very close friends who I took doula training with not only teaches birth classes with her, but had her as a midwife as well.

So.. new baby, and new experiences! But I will always have a special place in my heart for the granny wise womyn midwives I have worked with.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page