Morning sickness...what is normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Morning sickness slapped me across the face last week after virtually no nausea.  It is kicking my butt, I don't think it is normal, but when I called my ob they were fairly dismissive (first, I have been trying the B6, I have an aversion to all things ginger, I've puked up more saltines than I can recall, hard candy makes me gag) and told me it was normal, since it is my first pregnancy, I don't have a gauge.  They said if it is still bothering me with my appointment next week, we could discuss it then.

I've been marking in my planner.  I typically am vomitting about 6-10 times daily.  I wake up about twice a night to vomit.  Made it through the night last night for the first time in days, though!  I can't keep down solid foods, but am not showing any dehydration symptoms.  They only thing I seem to consistently keep down is sprite, which I hate because I really don't like drinking soda.  I guess at this point, no calories are empty, right?  Meaning something, even if it is just sugar, is better than nothing?

I guess, is this normal?  It doesn't feel normal, and I was pretty confident in that until my doctors office was pretty dismissive. 

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#2 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 AM

I'm pretty sure thats not normal! Puking 6-10 times a day and only being able to keep soda in your stomach is pretty bad. Hopefully they can give you something at your next appointment!

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

#3 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 07:29 AM
~pi

That does not sound normal to me. But I tend to feel very queasy and never actually vomit.

I would think your dr would care, if only because that would wreak havoc with BGs.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#4 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Fortunately those are staying fairly okay, haven't gone over 150 this week and have been catching the lows (thank goodness for the sprite!).  Grrr.  I ordered some ginger capsules at the recommendation of my boss.  I wanted to avoid things like zofran but I've been at work since 7:30 and have thrown up four times already!  I'll be interested to see what my weight does at the next appointment.  I need to function and we both need nutrition from something besides the prenatal vitamin!  I went from just no appetite to this.  I'm trying really hard to stay positive, but I kind of want to curl up under my desk and cry.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#5 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 AM

It really doesn't sound normal to me either. All day nausea, yes, certain food aversions, yes, but not being able to keep any solids down? And vomiting multiple times, both day and night? Nope, sorry, that sounds really more like hyper-emesis than typical morning sickness.

I'm sorry your doctor's office was so dismissive, to me they seem very careless in their assessment. I would definitely push for some kind of prescription at your next appointment. This is not healthy for you or babe. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#6 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 AM

I had a close friend (also one of my employees) who puked non-stop through the beginning of her pregnancies. Even with medication, she still felt terrible.

I haven't thrown up yet, but I thought saltines were AWFUL (and made me want to puke). I found that Graham crackers worked awesome for me. I only suggest this because you have nothing to lose, and we seem to have the same tolerances (soda has been helping me, too).

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#7 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 PM

This is my first time too, so I'm still not quite sure what is normal. I will say though that the last couple days in which I wasn't able to eat anything but saltines and was actually vomiting, not just feeling nauseated, was significantly worse than the morning sickness I had experienced until that point.

Also, even though said you weren't showing dehydration symptoms, I wanted to put in a plug for gatorade or similar electrolyte drink and salty broth. I've been drinking as much water as I could stand for the last couple days and immediately peeing it out. Only when I started on the electrolyte drink and the nasty powdered soup packets did I start retaining any of the water I was choking down.
#8 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 03:19 PM

It sounds like hyperemesis.  I had that with my first child, and it was horrible!  There were days when I couldn't get out of bed.  You should call your doctor's office back and ask them if they can give you any medication to help.  I took phenergen(sp?) suppositories for awhile, which helped enough that I could sleep.  I've also heard Zofran works wonders but is expensive.  I really feel for you, because it is NOT fun.  BUT, hopefully it will ease up when you hit your second trimester.  I started feeling a lot better around 16 weeks and felt pretty darn great the rest of my pregnancy. 

Hope you feel better! greensad.gif

Oh, and I second the gatorade!  I lived off of gatorade and popsicles for a month.

#9 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

Fortunately those are staying fairly okay, haven't gone over 150 this week and have been catching the lows (thank goodness for the sprite!).

bow.gif Do you have a CGM, or are you just naturally awesome? There is no way I would get through that without some big swings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

I'm trying really hard to stay positive, but I kind of want to curl up under my desk and cry.

hug.gif It sounds awful. Is there a reason you don't want to consider Zofran? (I don't know anything about it, but if I couldn't keep anything down, I'm sure I would at least consider it.)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page