Anyone meal plan? What are you doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(reposting this from the meal planning forum)

I used to do meal planning (for weekdays, not weekends usually). Then I got pregnant and that all went down the toilet. I'm 8 weeks and I think I've cooked dinner maybe 3 times in the last 4 or 5 weeks. DH cooks dinner sometimes but, more often than not, we've just been getting to-go food duh.gif

DH is away for 2 more weeks on a business trip so right now I'm just in "survival mode". However, I want to have a meal plan for when he gets back. But I'm nauseous all the time, nothing ever sounds good and even the thought of food makes me want to vomit. How the heck do I plan meals like this?! I can't even go to the grocery stores without becoming overwhelmed by the smells and running for the bathroom eyesroll.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Hi steph, I'm glad to see this. I'm finally moved and back online, kinda....and my house is a sea of boxes, but I also used to meal plan ( long ago) I got out of it when I became single, I'd really like to start again when I get. A.unpacked and B. Not nauseous. I was inspired by the lists on the meal planning forum. And when I do get less nauseous my midwife wants me on brewers....so that'll take some planning. I was thinking about just stealing ideas from the other lists when I start feeling up to it.
I think you have to give yourself a break until you feel better though....seems impossible now.
Jenny

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Not planning right now for the same reasons... nausea, nausea, exhaustion and, oh yeah, nausea. irked.gif  I'm subbing to this thread because I desperately need some good, healthy, easy meal ideas.

Oh, and welcome back, Jenny! Glad the move is over, you are probably in dire need of some rest!wave.gif

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

Old 03-06-2011, 12:27 PM

Lately I have been doing a lot of crockpot meals and super easy dinners. I stocked the freezer with chicken breast, ground turkey, fish and steam fresh veggies. So on days I dont do something in the crockpot we have a meat, veggie and couscous with fruit for dessert. I have been keeping things super simple and easy. With a 2yo, 14mo and being 8 weeks pregnant (plus add in fatigue from my RA) I am really tired most days. 

treehugger.gifKayleigh is a Marine wife to Ben & SAHM to Colton 2.5yrs and Liam 1.5yrs 

After 2 beautiful boys we're having a GIRL!

Little Miss Addie

20****25**stork-girl.gif*30****35****40**

Old 03-06-2011, 12:59 PM
~pi

Wow, there's a meal planning forum?

The way it works in our house is: I meal plan, DH does the shopping, I cook, he cleans. It's a good system. We both do what we prefer.

We get our meat and produce from different CSAs, so that drives a lot of my meal planning. Right now, we are working our way through last year's meat CSA, much of which ended up in the freezer. (10 lbs a month is really quite a lot of meat for a family of former vegetarians.)

The way I deal with being tired is the same way I deal with being a busy WOHM. I really only plan 1-3 meals per week that require much effort. I prep the night before whenever possible. Also, when possible, those meals are doubled, so we have a couple more meals ready to go, and then the rest of the week is filled with easier meals. (E.g., standard on our rotation are: 1) pasta, beans, veg and pesto, 2) baked fish with some sort of sauteed green, 3) soup of some kind, 4) a dinner of cheese -- we just had this on Friday. DH picked up an assortment of cheese at a local cheese shop and some seedy bread, we made a big spinach salad, and there's dinner.)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 03-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Thanks Iris! Yes I'm tired...just unpacking slowly. Wish a good fairy would do it for me, lol. pi and sweet pea you ladies sound wonderfully organized....I'm jealous...and hoping to be inspired soon, lol....Jenny

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmamajen View Post

Thanks Iris! Yes I'm tired...just unpacking slowly. Wish a good fairy would do it for me, lol. pi and sweet pea you ladies sound wonderfully organized....I'm jealous...and hoping to be inspired soon, lol....Jenny

Oh, it is an elaborate front. I don't feel wonderfully organized at all. Note that we also have evenings of grilled cheese and raw veg sticks, because that's what we can make quickly!

And if I had just moved, we would be living primarily on pizza and fruit that can be eaten one-handed. (I despise moving. You have my sympathy!)

Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I decided to be more proactive about my lunch. Lately it's been too light and I've been blowing it on empty foods when I get too hungry. So lunch this week is mixed greens, roman beans, bulger wheat, shredded carrots, english cukes, maybe some slivered almonds and then a light dressing, and not too much of it. For snacks, I got two pineapples and cut them up, grapes, and if I need them, crackers. I try to stay vegan during the day, and that has been what has been leaving me really empty because if I don't have a legume protein, I starve.

For the days when I want something hot, I have a pasta and bean soup.

I got a nice Heritage whole grain flake cereal with soy milk for my breakfast.

Somebody recently told me in a way that I could understand in my tiny mind that the body recognizes whole foods and uses them, but not processed foods, which it stores as fat. Since I don't want to over-gain with this pregnancy (I did last time and it took a lot of work to get it off, though I did and now weigh less than before my last pregnancy by about 7 lbs.)

So I'm hoping that this last week of nausea and disgusting eating can be turned around with a really good whole foods diet.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

the body recognizes whole foods and uses them, but not processed foods, which it stores as fat

For what it's worth, this is not true for me at all, and it doesn't ring true on a scientific basis, either.

I feel much better eating whole foods, and they give me way more nutrition, but when it comes to weight, calories are calories. I have totally gained weight eating a wonderful, whole foods diet, because I was eating larger quantities than my body needed.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 PM

Oh. Well, it sounded good when that person said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

For what it's worth, this is not true for me at all, and it doesn't ring true on a scientific basis, either.

I feel much better eating whole foods, and they give me way more nutrition, but when it comes to weight, calories are calories. I have totally gained weight eating a wonderful, whole foods diet, because I was eating larger quantities than my body needed.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM

well I am not suffering from much in the way of nausea, but I am a busy student mama of 2 and I do some loose meal planning. really just dinners. I structure a basic meal plan around the produce we have from our weekly box. It helps me to have a "plan" in place also I can think of what prep I can do before the witching hour rolls around. I also do make something at least once a week that is extra- either cook extra beans, or make extra soup. I do also make a bit extra so there is. We are for financial and health reasons eating almost totally from-scratch food, can't afford to eat the quality I want if we buy many things prepared. For lunches I do keep hummos around (that I usually buy, I just like it so much more) and I will boil a whole bunch of eggs ahead of time.

dissertating mom to three

Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

Oh. Well, it sounded good when that person said it.

Oh, it's a great approach for health! I just think it's not a good idea to count on weight loss, unless you are changing from a very unhealthy diet to a much healthier whole foods diet. If you're already doing reasonably well, whole foods can help you feel better (which is awesome in and of itself, and can also make it easier to be active), but, at least in my experience, you still need to watch portion size.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:33 PM

Thanks--yes, I know about the portion size, etc. I wasn't planning on overeating healthy foods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Oh, it's a great approach for health! I just think it's not a good idea to count on weight loss, unless you are changing from a very unhealthy diet to a much healthier whole foods diet. If you're already doing reasonably well, whole foods can help you feel better (which is awesome in and of itself, and can also make it easier to be active), but, at least in my experience, you still need to watch portion size.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:07 PM

I do not want to hijack this thread with this topic, but I just wanted to say that in a way, not all calories are equal. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, etc. have fiber and is not absorbed, yet makes you feel full. That's the basis of Weight Watchers (along with limited fats) and that is how I lost the baby weight before. I have been amazed these past few days as I eat a whole food diet without processed or refined carbs, that I am remarkably less nauseous and satisfied much longer.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 PM
~pi

thumb.gif Glad it's working so well for you! I also find that I feel much better when I eat well. I just don't lose weight unless I count calories, but every body is different!

I am meal-planning by necessity this week as I am away for work and the place I usually stay is not feeding me this time. I brought some leftovers with me along with smoothie ingredients. It's so different to meal plan for one vs. a family.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Great discussion and ideas!

I think my plan is going to be more meal plan by the week for a little bit. That might work better than meal planning for a month like I used to do.

I'm trying to talk dh into buying a freezer (I think I'm finally breaking him down orngbiggrin.gif ). When we get the freezer I would like to not only meal plan, but make twice as much for the meal and freeze half for another meal. Then I can start planning to just do frozen meals too. I think this will be really helpful once the baby is born.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 AM

Hey ladies, why don't you share some recipes for these easy, healthy, and delicious dinners?  eat.gif

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

Old 03-09-2011, 11:16 AM

I usually do some form of meal planning-but right now I don't feel like eating much, so cooking isn't very much fun either! On better days though, when i'm feeling better, I'll cook enough for several meals.

I bought a nice big stack of disposable lasagna trays with lids, (really cheap at the dollar store!) and use those to make meals ahead.

Today im not feeling terrible, so i'm going to make the recipe that rachel ray just had on her show today: here. I'll make enough to do 3 or four trays. (i'll throw in diced chicken to make it a little more complete..maybe a few mushrooms.)

A few days ago I made three trays of butter chicken topping, (I didn't add rice. Rice is so so easy I can just cook that the day of.) I've also made some lasagna, pot roast with veggies, cabbage rolls, runzas and a few others.

I can't plan a lot for veggies because we get a vegetable delivery from an organic nearby farm every week, and we never really know what were going to get. So I usually just cook up what we have, or make a lot of salads etc. (or squash soups!)

So on days when I don't want to even see food, i'll just be able to pop one in the oven for the kids and dh. (bless his soul, if he could cook, he would. He makes really good paninis though!lol)

I plan on doing the same sort of thing for when the baby is born! The less I have to cook, the better. It will be like take out, but cheaper!

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

User Tag List