Is this anything, or am I a hypochondriac? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been feeling really, really weak the last week or so. Climbing stairs is winding me, my muscles feel tired, etc. I've been sleeping like crazy, too, which I hear is pretty typical.

However, is it normal to just get really dizzy/light-headed and nauseous almost instantly at random times throughout the day? Eating makes it better, although I can't eat that much when it happens. I've been getting these anytime DH and I spend a day doing stuff outside of the house. Basically, if I am out and on my feet, I get these little crashes multiple times during the day. Combined with my random need to nap, I think the hubs would rather I just stay in bed all weekend than have to deal with my crazy-pukey-dizzy-tired self.

Is this happening to anyone else too? Is it normal? I told DH I've never felt this weak and helpless in my life. It's kind of ruining the pregnancy experience for me. greensad.gif

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#2 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 AM

Try eating small snacks often. I have to snack on something every 2ish hours or I feel dizzy and yucky (sometimes sooner than 2 hours). It sounds pretty normal, but if your concerned call your care provider.... That's what they're there for smile.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#3 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 AM

DDC-crashing.

I think you should get your iron level checked. I felt like that about a month ago and my iron level was low.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#4 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

My next appointment (and my first one where they will draw labs) is the 18th, so hopefully I'll get some solid info there.

I'll try to eat more often, if I can, but nothing sounds appealing these days. I've lost the two pounds I gained since finding out I was pregnant. However, I eat way more during my work day than I do on my days off, so I can see a correlation there.

I should add that I had gastric bypass 5 years ago, so my food absorption is way different than most people. Sugar destroys me within 15-30 minutes, and I don't absorb as many vitamins and things.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#5 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 AM

This sounds like classic low-blood sugar, which is a huge trigger for nausea.  Especially because it sounds like it improves when you eat something.  Does it normally happen when you are standing, or do you also tend to get dizzy/queazy when lying down?  As much as you can, frequent, small snacks (with protein, fats, and complex carbs) may help you a lot.  Do you snack before bed?  Saltines or almonds next to your bed are really good to have when you wake up in the middle of the night to pee. I know it sounds like a ton of work to eat in the middle of the night, but what you are describing sounds like it could be worsened by low blood sugar.

Do you normally have low blood pressure too?  I would suggest salting to taste, and drinking a lot of water.  What kinds of vitamins/supplements are you taking?

Hope you start feeling better!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#6 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

It happens only when I'm standing. It's like being hit by a bus. I have to go sit down and just want to sleep or throw up. I eat before bed, but I usually don't feel sick in the morning until I've been awake for 30-45 minutes.

I don't normally have low blood pressure, but I had problems with it when I lost all the weight after my bypass, and the last two doc visits since finding out I was pregnant have shown pretty low readings from what I'm used to.

Vitamins are the same that I've been taking for months - calcium citrate, prenatal, and a high dose of B12. I have put in numerous requests with various medical offices asking got better advice for pregnancy vitamins for a gastric bypass patient, but no one seems to have any suggestions. My midwife told ms to find liquid prenatals, but I have yet to find any. I think I'll order some online tonight.

#7 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 AM

I'm sorry to hear that- it sounds really frustrating.  Awesome you're still able to take vitamins though.  I am a huge proponent of B vitamins.  In order, folic acid, B-6, B-12, and a B complex.  (In the order I would personally prioritize taking them).  The B's are really related to energy level too, because they basically have a production function that allows your blood to carry oxygen (getting winded and the fatigue you're describing sound like you might respond to B vitamins).  They are all super cheap at CVS, and small and odorless- my suggestion is to up B-6 & folic acid. 

Your blood volume has already begun to expand, and all of your organs are already working on overdrive, which can lower your BP even further (which is why salting to taste is a good idea).  Good luck to you keeping up with the snacking & good habits, and I hope you're able to get more helpful info from your providers!  Wow, I have never heard of liquid prenatals.  I hope you start feeling better and getting your energy back soon!

Hugs to you, and lots of energy too!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#8 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post
I told DH I've never felt this weak and helpless in my life. It's kind of ruining the pregnancy experience for me. greensad.gif

Ok...basically, this is the mothering experience.  Pregnancy, labor, delivery, you name it.  That's just the way it is.  There is nothing that so relentlessly makes you face your own limitations like motherhood.  Everything you mentioned is 100% normal.

The good news?  It will get better.  Just you wait til the second trimester, when you have the appetite of a teenage boy.  ;-)  

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#9 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Not hypochondriac - it really sounds like hypoglycemia to me too.  I used to get low blood sugar all the time, especially when I was getting a lot of exercise on a long bicycle tour.  It was just like what you describe.  I also would feel a little bit confused sometimes.  And then my husband would have to find me something to eat and make me eat it, even though it didn't sound very good.  Your metabolism is working much harder than usual, much like if you were on a bike trip.  So don't feel bad about it.

If it makes you feel any better, I apparently popped a rib or something picking up a pitchfork full of hay.  Those don't weigh much.  Now I can't do much of anything, and I'm feeling a little silly about it.  But there's nothing to be done.  I too will look forward to the pigging out in the second trimester!  And it will be summer, so fruit will be cheap!  Hooboy, fruit salad here I come!

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#10 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

That it hits you positionally makes me think blood pressure.  Do you know what yours is normally?  Do you feel better if you elevate your feet? 

if not that or low iron, I'd think hypoglycemia too.  It sometimes helps me to think of food as medicine.  If I don't eat PROTEIN every two hours, I feel the same as you describe.  It can't be carbs or fruit or veg ... it has to be protein.  Almonds, hazelnuts, tofu, chicken, smoothie with protein powder (this is GREAT if nauseous), yogurt, cheese, beef jerky, whatever you can manage to get down.  Hope you feel better soon! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#11 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoDiva 
Ok...basically, this is the mothering experience.  Pregnancy, labor, delivery, you name it.  That's just the way it is.  There is nothing that so relentlessly makes you face your own limitations like motherhood.  Everything you mentioned is 100% normal. The good news?  It will get better.  Just you wait til the second trimester, when you have the appetite of a teenage boy.  ;-)  

The first part of this is very reassuring. The second part has me worried - I'm already TEARING into my food like a wild animal (it scares my husband haha) when I am actually hungry (rare). I can't imagine being any more passionate about food! lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page