Are You Eating Dinner? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been struggling through dinner lately, now that the mild nausea/food aversion/super smell/etc. has kicked in.  I know I need to eat something...so I do...but, man, it's rough.  The last two nights I've found that sipping ginger ale throughout the meal helps me keep going.  Tonight I ate what DH was having (Roasted red pepper risotto with peas), and last night I managed wonton soup and a little peking duck.  The night before DH made a stir-fry and I just had egg noodles with butter and parmesan.

Are you eating the same thing as your family at dinner?  Are you eating at all?  What are you eating?

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#2 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM

"Are you eating the same thing as your family at dinner?"

LOL... trick question for me. DS has never eaten the same thing the rest of us eat (he has major food issues, we just roll with it). So usually ds eats one thing and dh and I eat something else. With dh gone right now I just kinda eat whatever I want. I've noticed that during the day I actually feel okay but then around 4pm is when I seem to hit a wall and nothing sounds good and I just feel blah. I've started eating a bigger (more substantial) meal for a late lunch (around 1:30 before I leave to pick ds up from school) and then I might snack in the evening. I'm getting ready to go eat some jello I made earlier right now. Before dh left I did eat the same thing he did, but usually in MUCH lesser amounts than I usually would. DH got to the point where he would serve me this tiny baby portion so we weren't wasting so much food.

"Are you eating at all? What are you eating?"

Yes, but not everything is as healthy as it could be. I seem to really need to eat as soon as I get up in the morning (lately that's been a raisin english muffin toasted with butter). Then after I take ds to school I come home and eat something else (yogurt, cereal, fruit, oatmeal). I snack during the day, eat a larger lunch (which may or may not be healthy but I always try to throw some fruits and veggies in too). Then I snack in the evening. It's not all healthy, but I figure if it stays down then we're a lot better off than if I eat healthy and vomit it back up. A couple weeks ago I ate a HUGE salad.... it was soooo good. Then I stood up to go get ds from school and had to run back in the house to throw up. Ugh. I still can't eat salad after that and I used to LOVE salad! But, go figure, the pizza rolls I was craving over the weekend stayed down with no problem eyesroll.gif  I try to munch on carrot sticks and celery sticks during the day so it kinda balances out the not so good things I'm eating (like the girl scout cookies whistling.gif ). I really want to add eggs back in but every time I start to make them it makes me want to puke. I know they would be a good addition for some protein, but I just can't stand the thought of it yet. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow morning. Each time I've tried I haven't even made it past "take the eggs out of the fridge". As soon as I get them out of the fridge and open the container they go right back in the fridge duh.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#3 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 PM

I feel so lucky to seem to be avoiding all that this pregnancy. I remember the queasiness and aversions. It suuucks. hug2.gif  Then on the other hand, i worry when I don't have all the crazy intense symptoms (although this time my boobs are KILLING me and that's never happened before).

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#4 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Nicolian my boobs are killing me too! OUCH!!! You'd think they would settle down some since I just nursed for 4 years with one child and over 3 years with the other!

As far as food, I was really enjoying myself up until this week(7 weeks) and now it's hard to figure out what I want. We had black bean tacos with tomatoes, olives, avocados, lettuce and cilantro tonight and they were really good. I had a sandwich for lunch and my regular green smoothie for breakfast, although that no longer holds me over. I am just hungry more often now. I too have the feelings of not wanting anything, but having to eat or I'll feel sick.

#5 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 07:32 PM

I could eat two dinners if I were that shameless.  shy.gif  I've had only the mildest queasiness on occasion, almost no nausea, and no puking at all.  I'm just really hungry.  I'm trying to be reasonable, though - no huge extra servings, reasonable snacks, limited sugar etc.  I think I get full more easily these days so that helps, except I'm hungry again half an hour later. 

JunieMoon, those tacos sound delicious. 

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#6 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Yes, I'm eating, and I generally eat what DH eats.  He's really sweet about making things that sound good to me.  Normally I love everything but when I'm PG I'm so picky!  

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#7 of 25 Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 AM

I feel like my appetite is really good, and I've had practically zero nauseusness.  Some aversions though. Last week I ate a PB& J and thought I would lose it, so I haven't been in the mood to even try again.  I also brought some homemade chicken & rice soup to work and poured it, looked at it, and poured it down the drain.  I feel bad wasting food.  We definitely eat healthy, but there tend to be a lot of "treats" at work, so I probably eat too many cookies.  I've definitely been craving comfort food.  Last week we also made homemade mac & cheese (with whole wheat pasta, and some smoked gouda cheese).  It was amazing.  I love Mark Bittman.  Saturday I wanted a tuna fish sandwich so bad.  All we had was albacore tuna, which is the kind highest in mercury.  I ate it anyway.  We eat so little fish anyway.  I usually bring a salad for lunch, along with soup, rice dish or something else leftover, so we eat a ton of veggies and very few processed foods.  Right now I feel pretty OK just eating or cooking whatever sounds good.  It would be good if I didn't like sweets so much though. 

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#8 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 PM

I'm good with eating breakfast and lunch it's dinner that's the problem - that is when my evening nausea kicks in.  I've been eating pb&j at night as it's the only thing that sounds ok.  I had oatmeal this morning but yesterday treated myself to a breakfast burrito with green chili and bacon.  At dinnertime I don't want to see/smell anything - gag.

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#9 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM

In the evening all I can stomach is pineapple and an english muffin.  I try really I do to eat normally, but right now I just can't!

Although I have no idea what I'm going to do tonight, we're out of pineapple AND english muffins and I really am not driving the 2hr round trip to go to a store.....

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#10 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan View Post

In the evening all I can stomach is pineapple and an english muffin.  I try really I do to eat normally, but right now I just can't!

Although I have no idea what I'm going to do tonight, we're out of pineapple AND english muffins and I really am not driving the 2hr round trip to go to a store.....

Yes!  A round of applause, please, for the english muffin.  I've been scarfing them down.  Butter and some salt on top.  Delish any time of the day.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#11 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM

What is it with english muffins? I've been eating them (raisin english muffins), toasted with butter on top for my first breakfast (while I take ds to school) for weeks. I had been eating bagels with cream cheese every morning but, well, they came up one too many times and no longer sound good eyesroll.gif

#12 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM

An english muffin sounds awesome!  I plan on hitting up Trader Joe's tonight with DS so I'll get some :). Yum.  Bread is all I want after 5pm.

#13 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

I told DH that I thought I could eat roasted chicken legs tonight and some buttered carrots and peas.  He's cooking right now.  I'm all the way up on the third floor and the smell of the cooking chicken (which I usually love) has finally made its way up here...and I'm getting a little worried I won't be able to follow through...

Wish me luck!

#14 of 25 Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 AM

Last night was the first night in weeks that I ate something other than pb&j.  I bought some english muffins and had it toasted with a bit of lox - it was awesome!  My stomach was a little funky but not bad.  I also had three of DHs baked chicken wings :).

I just checked and it's noted that I should avoid lox due to listeria - but it was warmed up so I think it was ok...

I was 10 weeks yesterday :)

#15 of 25 Old 03-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Me too on the english muffins! That's been my go-to breakfast. Sometimes with an egg, sometimes with jam, sometimes with light cream cheese- they are my morning savior.

Dinners are very, very rough. I find them pretty stressful, I feel like I spend so much time trying to come up with foods that don't make me sick! I can basically only do comfort food by dinner time (spaghetti, mac n cheese, shepherd's pie- all homemade), and even if it initially goes down, it typically comes back at some point. I can almost never have what DH has, and even if he makes dinner that I say sounds good (he typically doesn't cook and has been AWESOME the past few weeks), I'm frequently too sick by the time it's ready. Night times just don't work for me. I too tried a salad with disastrous results. I'm trying to eat healthy, but it's really, really hard! I feel completely at the mercy of my vengeful belly. I basically feel like I've had the flu for a month.

Lunch I can be a little more brave- I've had some thai noodles (I want pad thai so badly RIGHT NOW!), a roasted chicken sandwich, but still I'm eating mostly soup, crackers, and yogurt with strawberries. I'm probably never going to be able to look at a cracker again after these weeks!!

oh- and PB&J sounds good. Thanks ladies! There's not a lot that piques my interest these days.

#16 of 25 Old 03-12-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Waffles!  I decided this afternoon that I thought I could eat waffles for dinner.  So DH whipped up a batch in our waffle iron, topped with mixed berry compote.  The smell of the waffles was a little intenser than usual but didn't turn my stomach.  And then I ate my whole waffle.  And not really slowly either.  Hopefully it'll sit well and digest easily in my tummy.

#17 of 25 Old 03-12-2011, 05:54 PM

Ha!  I didn't realize this no dinner thing was common.  After about 3/4 pm I have no interest in food.  Not sick feeling, but zero hunger.  To the point my in-laws were over last weekend and I was feeding my son some dinner and they wondered what I was going to eat.  Gave them the excuse of having had a large, late lunch since they don't know yet.  I didn't have this with my last one, so it's new.  I am really hungry in the morning though, so I'm trying to get good foods in through lunch, because them I'm basically done eating.

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and finally expecting a new little one end of Jan/early Feb 2015!  
#18 of 25 Old 03-13-2011, 12:45 PM

All I've been eating for dinner lately is soup. It's the only thing that is actually appealing to me in the evenings and doesn't make me nauseous afterwards. My appetite is decent in the morning, but as soon as I get food in my belly, the nausea kicks in. 

SAHM to DS (11/09) with a little girl coming in October stork-girl.gif familybed1.gif

#19 of 25 Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 PM

I am right there with all of you! All the bad starts around 3:30 or 4.  Until then I feel great all day (usually) so I try to eat a lot for breakfast and lunch. I've been doing toasted raisin bagels with butter or Cheerios and whole milk for breakfast.  At my school (I teach first grade) lunch is included and it's really really good. We have a salad bar with homemade dressings that is full of different yummy ingredients each day. A sandwich and soup bar. And they have homemade granola with yogurt and fresh fruit next to the hot food bar.  I can usually find enogh that entices me to eat big at lunch. But dinner? It takes me a long time to figure out what I could possibly put into my mouth. Ugh. I'm going to try going to the grocery soon to look around for food that might possibly look good to me in two days.

10 weeks tomorrow! Or as I like to put it...I'm entering my 11th week. 2whistle.gif

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#20 of 25 Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 PM

I feel disgusting in the late afternoon/dinnertime as well. Last night I forced myself to cook for the kids and then made a big salad around 8:30 that really hit the spot. Tonight I forced myself to cook and then ended up eating takeout with my parents and aunt and uncle (I live downstairs). Oh well at least the bulk of tomorrow's dinner just needs to be heated up. Friday I also went out. Its bad, I am a cook-from-scratch person all the time (for reasons of health and necessary thriftiness).

B/c I am on a moderately low carb diet (which will become a much lower carb one as pregnancy progresses and I am likely to develop GD again), and I am a vegetarian, its extra hard! There are just not a lot of lower-carb, healthy, vegetarian quick food option. Grains are not good for me- I just gain weight like crazy with grains, sugars, and starch at the center of my diet, they have to function more like garnishes... stuck with eggs... salads... handfuls of salted peanuts (yum).

I am trying to decide early in the day what I'll be making, somehow when the nausea hits I just can't for the life of me think of what to make. It all seems so unappealing. Once the food is on my plate, I seem to be okay to eat it. Too bad DH doesn't cook... and he gets home too late from work to prepare dinner for the kids, so I'd still be stuck cooking for them.

dissertating mom to three

#21 of 25 Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 PM

I wonder who coined it "morning sickness" when so many of us feel much worse in the late afternoon and evening?! I'm another one who does okay during the day but come 3ish I can't stand the thought of food. Since dh is out of the country still and I've not been working since he's been gone, I've started eating my "big meal" around noon or 1. Then by the time the icky feelings hit I'm not too hungry and can eat something small that doesn't require much prep. Today I ate a couple egg rolls and a smoothie for dinner. Fortunately ds's dinners are always easy (he only has a handful of foods he eats right now and they're all simple to make).

Jello has been my friend. Also smoothies. I've been making them with fresh strawberries, canned peaches, a scoop of yogurt (for calcium, because I'm really lacking in that right now), a splash of v8 fusion juice (so I can at least pretend I'm getting a touch of veggies since I can't stomach them right now eyesroll.gif) and some ice. Blend all together and YUM! I can actually keep this down thumb.gif I ran out of fresh strawberries and they weren't good looking at the store today so I bought some frozen berries and some frozen cherries. We'll see what I can mix together tomorrow orngtongue.gif

#22 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 07:22 AM

I did well all day then at night was kinda still a little blah.  I actually had veggies with dinner which was super!  I had a pb&j on a small whole wheat roll then ate a dozen asparagus stalks.  It actually worked for my stomach so weird but ok.

For breakfast it was a fried egg over toast with a veggie sausage patty and for lunch it was TJs lobster raviolis with sundried tomotoes.

#23 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

I wonder who coined it "morning sickness" when so many of us feel much worse in the late afternoon and evening?! I'm another one who does okay during the day but come 3ish I can't stand the thought of food. Since dh is out of the country still and I've not been working since he's been gone, I've started eating my "big meal" around noon or 1. Then by the time the icky feelings hit I'm not too hungry and can eat something small that doesn't require much prep. Today I ate a couple egg rolls and a smoothie for dinner. Fortunately ds's dinners are always easy (he only has a handful of foods he eats right now and they're all simple to make).

Jello has been my friend. Also smoothies. I've been making them with fresh strawberries, canned peaches, a scoop of yogurt (for calcium, because I'm really lacking in that right now), a splash of v8 fusion juice (so I can at least pretend I'm getting a touch of veggies since I can't stomach them right now eyesroll.gif) and some ice. Blend all together and YUM! I can actually keep this down thumb.gif I ran out of fresh strawberries and they weren't good looking at the store today so I bought some frozen berries and some frozen cherries. We'll see what I can mix together tomorrow orngtongue.gif

Steph, I throw a handful of raw almonds in the blender with the rest and it adds some great benefits and I don't even notice them. Jenny.

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#24 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Jenny- thanks for the tip, i'll try that tomorrow!

#25 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Let me know how it goes....

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page