Book(s) for Toddler - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would like to get a couple nice books for ds to read through the pregnancy so he can understand what is happening & what will happen.

I've looked briefly here in the library & Chapters but all the books I find are the same: mommy's getting big, you can feel the baby, painting the room, etc. Then mommy goes away for a day & comes home with a baby in a bucket. You can help give bottles, etc. Totally glosses over the whole birth process.

I want a book that reflects more what our life will look like (baby in arms, breastfeeding, sleeping together, etc.) & at least touches on childbirth.

Any suggestions?

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#2 of 9 Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DDC Crashing-

Well, this one is similar to what you already looked at, but I really liked it... showed mommy nursing on several pages.  There are no words, so it is something you can make your own story for.  Called 'my new baby.'  also another one about pregnancy by the same author, but I don't remember the title.

http://www.amazon.com/My-New-Baby/dp/0859539741

I would love to hear other ideas though, for next time.  If you are having a home birth, I suggest watching some birth videos with him, that prepared DD much more for what was going to happen.  She did great at the birth (she was 26 months).

Good luck!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ha. I was just looking at "preparing for the new baby" books for my nephew. In the end, I opted for books about trucks and trains instead, but I did see one that might interest you: Babies Don't Eat Pizza. Most of the negative reviews say that it is too explicit or wordy for young children, but it gets several positive reviews, at least a couple of which mention 3 year olds.
#4 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 AM

I loved the book "welcome with love" http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Love-Jenni-Overend/dp/0916291960 but its out of print and mad expensive. I found a used copy before DD was born for much less than I see listed right now. I need to retrieve the book from the friends we gave it to!

EDIT: A different edition is called "Hello Baby" and its much cheaper! (at least on Alibris)

Its about a homebirth, shows the midwife and all her equipment, depicts the older children being at the birth, accurate without being totally graphic, shows the family all sleeping together after the birth, baby breastfeeding, etc. Oh yes, the placenta is in there. Same illustrator as "I went walking" if you are familiar with that book. I especially liked it for my son since it is from the POV of a little boy.

I will check out the sears book "what baby needs" but I haven't read it yet.

We did watch lots of videos of natural (mostly home) birth w/ DS. He was 4 1/2 when his sister was born though- she will be only 2 1/2 when her sibling is born.

dissertating mom to three

#5 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Runa's birth is excellent but it looks like it is out of print too.
I bought welcome with love and runa's birth at attachments. It doesn't look like they carry them anymore but they have several books that might work. http://www.attachmentscatalog.com/gifts/bkkhb.html

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#6 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM

The updated version of this has a few shots of a couple "together," but the images are beautiful.  

http://www.amazon.com/Child-Born-Lennart-Nilsson/dp/0385337558/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299642249&sr=8-1

I remember looking at this book when I was a kid and I loved it.  

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#7 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM

I recently bought 'Baby on the Way' by Dr William Sears and Martha Sears. It doesnt discuss home birth and talks about what other things the children might do while Mommy is having the baby, so might not be what you are looking for exactly. However, it does show the mom breastfeeding and talks about the process in a very AP kind of way and it is written at a level my 4 year old could understand and my 2 year old has sat through a couple times. Of course, my 2 year old still says, "No...I big boy!" when we try to tell him I have a baby in my belly. When asked, he says I have a belly button in my belly. Don't think he is quite there yet in understanding the concept... :)

Might be worth looking into...def. the best choice on the Barnes and Noble shelf IMO!

#8 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you - this gives me a good starting point anyway. I will post if I find anything else interesting.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#9 of 9 Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Thank you - this gives me a good starting point anyway. I will post if I find anything else interesting.

please do! I am not introducing any of this to DD yet, but will start rotating in books about birth and babies few months ahead of the due date- probably some time over the summer. So I'm thinking about it anyway (she turns 2 at the very end of April)

dissertating mom to three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page