Okayyyyy!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I have only posted in the Nov DDC once I think....We could actually post here. It's not very active there yet anyhow..

So my DW & I are expecting! October 31st by her Ovulation date & Nov 3rd by her LMP. We are a lesbian couple & decided to try geting pg with a known sperm donor.

I have 3 older kids myself, 15...12 & 10 year old kiddos. They all have the same father & he actually was our chosen donor, since my DW is carrying & we wanted the 3 kids we have, to be blood relation to the new baby :-)

We got pg on our first try in January--We did 4 inseminations between Jan 22nd & Feb 7th. Her period was due Jan 27th, and although it did come, it was very light & short & not normal, and she is very normal each month! I, of course, obsessed and made her take a million pg tests & we got our first + on February 20th!!

Went to her OB on Monday Feb 22nd for HCG blood work, then back on the 24th for more blood work, to make sure her levels were rising....Needless to say, they were & the pregnancy was confirmed!! Yay!! :~)

We had gone to the ER for something this weekend (Sat) and the Dr. ordered an U/S & bloodwork. The U/S showed the yolk sack & baby, but no heartbeat yet--Tech said baby measured 5w5d, so still early for the heartbeat to be seen.

Our original U/S was scheduled for the 22nd of March, but the ER Dr. wanted her to follow up with her Dr Monday (Yesterday) and they want her to come in on the 15th of March instead, for U/S.

During our ER visit, we found out that her blood type is A-.....She did not know her blood type previously, so she will need a few shots during her preganncy, the first being at 28 weeks I think they said.

This is her first pregnancy/baby, so she gets to go through the fun, exciting stuff, but I am right there 110% all the way, and want to be as involved as possible!

Her bbs are sore, she is sleeping & eating a lot, but has only vomited 2 times so far ;)

So anyway, enough on us...Happy to be here, sticky baby vibes to us all!! ((Hugs))

rainbow1284.gifApril & Jenn--Mommy & Mama To Three Kiddos, DS-17 jammin.gif DS-14 wild.gif & DD-12 hearts.gif Rest in Peace sweet Elliana, our DD who was stillborn 10-1-11. You will forever be our Sunshine coolshine.gif Cautiously anticipating our rainbow baby on the 4th of July!! rainbow1284.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 AM

Welcome to the Oct 2011 DDC. wave.gif Let me know if you want to be added to the Roster (by posting to that thread).
#3 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 AM

Welcome and congratulations!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#4 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 AM

You sound sooo excited and happy...it is contagious...keep it coming:)

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#5 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 AM

Congrats!! Welcome to the DDC. :)

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#6 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies!! And I am def excited!! I am not sure it has hit her yet though, she is still n a state of shock, rofl.

I will add our info to the DDC Roster, ty! :-)

rainbow1284.gifApril & Jenn--Mommy & Mama To Three Kiddos, DS-17 jammin.gif DS-14 wild.gif & DD-12 hearts.gif Rest in Peace sweet Elliana, our DD who was stillborn 10-1-11. You will forever be our Sunshine coolshine.gif Cautiously anticipating our rainbow baby on the 4th of July!! rainbow1284.gif

#7 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 08:36 AM

Congrats!!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#8 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM

Congratulations and welcome!  I'm in both DDCs as well.  I was confused when you posted something and then deleted it because it was the "wrong" DDC - I was sure I recognized your name as being in my DDC!

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#9 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Congratulations to you both!  Very exciting.  I'm also A- blood type so have to deal with that too.  Do you know the donor's blood type?

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#10 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 08:03 PM

if the donor is Rh negative as well, and you are totally sure that is the father (and it sounds like you are) then the Rhogam is not really necessary. Its standard procedure to give it to all Rh- moms, care providers don't want to get involved in making decisions based on the mom's claim about her baby's father's blood type, ykwim? but she could refuse it. (I am also A-, DH is A+, so far both our kids have been positive so I've done the Rhogam shots. they also check you for antibodies.)

congrats! Exciting.

dissertating mom to three

#11 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!! His blood type is O-....Of course we havent sat down with the Dr yet to discuss anything, but this is all I know as of now. I am a little bit confused about the whole - + blood type thing I guess. Just hopefully we figure everything out correctly & mommy/baby will be fine :)

#12 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM

That is good news on the blood type.  Personally, if I had any way of avoiding rhogam, I would, but I know DH's bloodtype is positive, so it is very likely the baby will have a positive blood type too.

Basically the issue is that during labor (or sometimes other trauma like a fall or car accident), the mother's and baby's bloods can mix.  If the mother is Rh- and the baby Rh+, after the blood mixes, the mother can start developing antibodies against the positive blood.  However, this is almost never an issue with the first child, just subsequent pregnancies, and then only IF the mother has been sensitized to the baby's blood, and the baby is Rh+.  They will test to see if you've been sensitized (if she is starting to develop antibodies), and the rhogam is done before labor in order to prevent sensitization.  But two negative blood types will ALWAYS be negative.  I would definitely encourage you to do your own research and do what you are comfortable with though!

#13 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 10:55 AM

Rh- is a recessive trait. If biodad/sperm donor is Rh+, good chance baby will be too. Most people are Rh+. This only matters b/c its possible that the Rh- mom's body will develop antibodies to the Rh+ blood and begin to attack the fetus (does not happen in reverse). This used to cause lots of problems (especially after the first pregnancy). Now its controlled with the Rhogam shot which is given during pregnancy and after the birth, and if there is any bleeding or possibility of exchange of blood between fetus and mother. Honestly I am not sure of the details but this shot suppresses the development of those antibodies by an Rh- woman's body.

If biodad/sperm donor is also Rh-, baby will be Rh- and its not an issue. However, health professionals, as I mentioned above, have a standard protocol for treating Rh- women b/c they don't want to endanger the health of the baby or jeopardize the future ability of a woman to carry a healthy pregnancy based on claims by the pregnant woman about her sexual partners that they obviously cannot verify.

Its not a big deal really, but the Rhogam is not necessary if you are totally sure the baby will be Rh- (which is the case if both biological parents are Rh-). I'm just saying, its one of those things that you could refuse. On the other hand, I don't think there is any evidence that Rhogam is dangerous or harms anyone, so other than the expense (I think its like $200 a shot if you're paying out of pocket!) and one's own desire to avoid getting shots in the butt, maybe its easier to just go with the flow and do it. My MW for #2 was really anti-vaccine (I am not) and she wanted to test my baby for Rh factor before deciding to give me the shot, but she was in total agreement that its far preferable to use the Rhogam than to have babies developing Rh disease and women developing Rh sensitivity.

I only know all this b/c I am Rh- and DH is Rh+, and our kids are Rh+, so its relevant to me, and I am the type of patient who wants to know why I am getting shots, and what my blood test results mean, and whether I agree with the treatment protocols. 

here is something about it: http://pregnancy.about.com/od/rhfactor/a/Rh-Factor-in-Pregnancy.htm

And I FWIW I think its cool that you have the same donor for all your kids. And it seems providential (to me) that he turns out to be Rh- after all.

#14 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Amy May: we cross posted I guess. My MW for #2 discussed it with me fairly thoroughly. She said some of her patients who are SURE they are having their last baby just opt for monitoring for sensitization (antibodies). But her recommendation was that Rh- mothers with an Rh+ father (or if father's Rh factor is unknown) do the 28-week prophylactic shot but wait until after the birth to test the baby and only do that second dose if baby is in fact Rh+. She said you have 3 days to do the shot after the birth for it to prevent sensitization. Perhaps you could request that they type the baby first and then you decide if you want the Rhogam or not. I went with her recc but my daughter was Rh+ so we did the shot. Rh disease can be very serious and I for one am thankful it can be prevented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

That is good news on the blood type.  Personally, if I had any way of avoiding rhogam, I would, but I know DH's bloodtype is positive, so it is very likely the baby will have a positive blood type too.

Basically the issue is that during labor (or sometimes other trauma like a fall or car accident), the mother's and baby's bloods can mix.  If the mother is Rh- and the baby Rh+, after the blood mixes, the mother can start developing antibodies against the positive blood.  However, this is almost never an issue with the first child, just subsequent pregnancies, and then only IF the mother has been sensitized to the baby's blood, and the baby is Rh+.  They will test to see if you've been sensitized (if she is starting to develop antibodies), and the rhogam is done before labor in order to prevent sensitization.  But two negative blood types will ALWAYS be negative.  I would definitely encourage you to do your own research and do what you are comfortable with though!

#15 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Sorry we took over your thread!   Emmaegbert LOL, we definitely did, but you wrote so much more eloquently!  Did you end up getting rhogam at 28 weeks for your first?

#16 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for such detailed info ladies & no need to apologize!! ((hugs))

#17 of 19 Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 AM

Welcome and Congrats!

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#18 of 19 Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourneymama View Post

Thank you ladies!! And I am def excited!! I am not sure it has hit her yet though, she is still n a state of shock, rofl.

I will add our info to the DDC Roster, ty! :-)

Hey, didn't see your info over there. Not to pester... well OK I'm kind of pestering.
#19 of 19 Old 03-10-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

I am a bit of a procrastinator, ha ha ha! I'll get it done soon ;)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page