Weight loss? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Obviously due to my nausea/vomiting/otherwise hating being awake issues, I've been loosing some weight (down from 154 at my first check up at 5 weeks to 145 this morning at 8 weeks, 1 day).  I've read that weight loss is fairly normal in the first trimester, but wanted to know other folks' experiences.  To those who have been pregnant before, when did you start to see a weight gain?  And are the weight gain recommendations based on pre-pregnancy weight or lost weight (if you did lose in early pregnancy)? 

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#2 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 AM

Was today's weight at a check up too? (same scale?) 9 lbs. is a lot to lose in 3 weeks. With the frequent vomiting you've been having, a bunch of it is probably due to dehydration. Did you get to talk to your provider about trying meds for the vomiting?

In terms of overall weight gain, you'll probably gain less than someone who didn't lose anything in the first trimester, but assuming you start feeling better, you could easily still end up with a 20lb+ gain. With my first I gained about 1-2 lb in the first trimester, but went on to gain a total of 24lb. The gain really accelerated around 20 weeks, and I gained 10lb in a month at one point. This time I'm up about 2lb at 9 weeks. Losing some in the first trimester is certainly not uncommon, but ideally you'll be able to turn it around soon.

Hugs and good luck.

#3 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Home and doctor's office matched up last time, so I'm thinking so.  I have an appointment tomorrow to confirm.  They said they "might" give me something.  I'm not sure, but I "might" stage a sit-in in my exam room if they don't.  ;)  Thanks!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#4 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 AM

Good plan. It really is ok to be assertive about meds on occasion - sometimes that is what it takes for them to realize that you're really suffering. My guess is that when they see the scale they'll be right on board though. Good luck.

#5 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Definitely be assertive about getting some meds or something if you are losing that much weight... that seems like a lot even for a non-pregnant person to lose in a short period of time. 

I've only lost about a pound and a half over the past two weeks, I think due to food aversions (no vomitting) and just lack of appetite. 

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#6 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM

Even without any vomiting at all, just food aversions have usually caused me to lose a little bit of weight in my first trimesters.  Generally just a couple pounds over the course of the 12 weeks, but I definitely don't usually gain weight in that period.  This time around (4th pregnancy), I've been exercising on top of being more careful with what I eat, and from my original weight, I've gone down 5 pounds this past month, even though I'm now obviously showing.  I hope that means my limbs are getting trimmer.  ;)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page