exercise - how's it going? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had a thread about a month ago about our intentions of keeping up with exercise during pregnancy. How's it going?

I'm doing well. Still working out 5 days most weeks (two weeks have just been 4 times because I had a whopping sinus infection). I'm getting in cardio every time and some light strength training about 3 times per week.

I am so, so tired recently though, that I have been finding myself questioning whether it is worth it to get up early to exercise. I know exercise is probably keeping me from being even more tired (and it helps with the nausea for an hour or two after), but some days I think maybe I should just give in to sleeping later and lying on the couch more.

#2 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 AM

I am walking about 3 times a week and trying to increase that number, but that is hard right now. I have done my prenatal strength training video once a week (yeah me!) and yoga once a week, but missed it last week. I am trying but I am so tired at night!!

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#3 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 09:17 AM

I'm trying... but it's been tough.  My MIL is at my house for at least a month, so that's kind of putting a damper on things (I have to bring my laptop upstairs to my bonus room to work out, when I used to do it in the living room).  Plus, I've been so TIRED!  I got a new DVD that I started yesterday, though.  I've decided to work out in the early afternoon, if possible, because by late in the day, I'm pooped.  Last night I couldn't even hold my head up to knit, let alone move the rest of my body by the evening. 

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#4 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Unless we're counting sex and eating as exercise, no exercise here. I have the schedule for prenatal yoga classes in my area, but I always forget to bring my gym clothes on Monday. I fail.

Walking is out because it is an ice rink in my entire neighborhood right now, and I get out of breath way too easily. I'm thinking I need to check the water aerobics schedule at the pool.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#5 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 AM

yah with 2 kids already (one basically full time at home with me) and me a student, I don't have any extra time! I walk 2-4 miles most days, for transportation, and I do choose to walk partly to save $$ but also to make sure I build exercise into my daily life. Trying to get up the energy to attend an evening yoga class at least once a week- just for strength and flexibility, and to keep my back and hips from hurting as the pregnancy starts to put pressure on them.

July and August I will be working my butt off trying to finish my dissertation (draft) but I'll be living at my parents' lake house. That means I can swim almost every day (bad weather excepting).

Then when we get back in September, I plan to do prenatal yoga class once a week, until baby is born. And I'll still be doing a lot of walking (I'll have to, I live in NYC). Also, in my second pregnancy I needed 1-2 vigorous walks per day, of 15-30 minutes each, to help control my (mild) gestational diabetes. I assume I'll need the same this time- GD typically develops around 28-30 weeks and I'm likely to have it again.

In both of my previous pregnancies I had this sort of cheesy prenatal yoga DVD that I did a few times a week in the last trimester (before that I didn't find I needed a special yoga routine). By "Rainbeau Mars". I liked it though, felt very good for my back.

dissertating mom to three

#6 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM

I am finally starting to feel a bit better so I bought a pregnancy yoga dvd today. Can't wait to try it!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#7 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Nada, but I'm really hoping that improves soon...I'm scheduled for some 5Ks this spring, and while I know I probably won't be up for running them, I'd like to at least jog at a leisurely pace.  Right now, though, I'm good to walk from my bedroom to the bathroom to the car (because I'm off the bus til nausea fades due to puking on it more than I'd like to say) to my office.  I really wanted to stay active with this, I just haven't felt up to much of anything.  I still have my gym membership, so I'm doing to try to make it to the pool after work. 

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#8 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Pretty good.  I've been doing about 4-6 workouts a week, which is a little bit less than I normally would do if not preggo.  This winter I've been very easily succumbing to the "it's cold and I'm pregnant- I don't want to go outside" excuse.  Usually, I run outside on most days, and then I'll do 1-2 other workouts at the gym in my building.  I ordered two prenatal workout videos, but those haven't come yet.  But I'm really excited to start them!  I also walk 1.5 miles every weekday to the train and back, up and down a huge hill each direction. Sometimes it is hard to justify working out over taking a nap, but working out definitely helps me feel good and stay energetic.  So, I'm less active than I would normally be this time of year, but only a little, and I trust my activity will pick up as the weather gets nicer.  I also found a support belt on craigslist, so I'm hoping to run during the entire pregnancy, assuming I feel up to it. 

Great job everyone on setting goals and moving, despite being in the yucky stages of early pregnancy!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#9 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Thank you for this thread!  I am not really exercising now.  I had a great routine going Sept - Thanksgiving and then it all fell apart.  I was doing 45 min. Leslie Sansone DVD walking workouts in my living room, in addition to whatever walking I did with DS.  I'd really like to get into a routine again, especially because I'd like to try to gain less than 50 lbs this time, if possible.  I am planning to ease back into the walking workout with the 30 min. routine, and then try to bump it up to the 45 min. routine once I'm no longer so tired (2nd trimester). I'm planning to start once a week prenatal yoga once I get to the second trimester, too.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#10 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

I am finally starting to feel a bit better so I bought a pregnancy yoga dvd today. Can't wait to try it!

How far along are you? I want to start feeling better! I am behind most of you, since I'm not due til Halloween.

I am walking every day. That's actually a lot better than I had been doing, because like AKChix I have had an ice rink outside all winter. We're pretty much rid of snow now, and all the sidewalks are clear!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#11 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm still continuing my 3x per week strength training/conditioning workouts & trying to get 30 minutes of cardio (alternating steady state with HIIT) every day but some days it's hard to get the time to get to the gym for this (can't wait for warmer weather!) around dh's work schedule. Last weekend I competed in a powerlifting competition & am pretty happy with my results.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#12 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM

I had to take 3 weeks off due to a horrible virus and sinus infection, but started back on my normal schedule of running 3-4 times a week this past week. I am for sure slower than before (still coughing some afterwards), but luckily one of the girls in my running group is pregnant as well and is only 2 weeks ahead of me...and she ran all through her first pregnancy- even 5 miles the day she gave birth! Now, I dont see myself being that hard core, but it will be good to have that little bit of "if she can do it, I can do it" going for me to keep up running until I REALLY dont want to anymore.

Really want to start doing yoga more as well, but like many of us...too tired at night to do anything (besides be online and eat bowls of cereal)!

#13 of 91 Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Been walking, doing some stetches and using thw wii for dancing. But thats about it. Really need to look at some strengthening exercises and prenatal yoga

#14 of 91 Old 03-09-2011, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Good job everybody. Even those of us doing less than we'd like right now are in the right frame of mind about getting back to it as the first trimester fog lifts.

I decided to take the morning off from exercise and got 10 hours of sleep last night instead. I feel great. Back on the bike tomorrow though. :)

#15 of 91 Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 AM

hey... since I can't afford gym membership, nor do I have the time or childcare to go to the gym, I have to "work out" on my own. This made me think-- if other people have DVDs or other easily-found routines that are simple, not equipment intensive, would you want to share those resources? I know some people already mentioned specific things, but if you are so inspired, would you want to say what it is you do and do not like about particular workouts?

I'll say my problem with most prenatal yoga DVDs I've tried is that they are way to "gentle" for me, I feel like I get more stretching and exercise playing with my kids ;)

I liked that "Rainbeau Mars" one for the last trimester or so b/c I think the stretching and strength stuff (squats, etc) were a little more realistic for someone who was in decent shape to begin with. Before that it felt sort of like, ugh, why am I doing this? I found the tape a little irritating (in a new-agey way that feels forced in a DVD to me, maybe in person I wouldn't mind) but I'll probably look for a used copy for myself over the summer when I am far away from any organized yoga studio, to supplement swimming and hiking and stay limber.

I like walking and swimming b/c the are free (depending on where you are) plus I just enjoy being out and about in the world. But I should probably also do some strength training and stretching in a more organized way.

#16 of 91 Old 03-09-2011, 05:25 AM

and man I wish I could get 10 hours of sleep! Between the two kids and DH I am lucky to get 7.

#17 of 91 Old 03-09-2011, 05:29 AM

exer what? Huh? smile.gif

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#18 of 91 Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

exer what? Huh? smile.gif

lol.gif

I am off the wagon this week (traveling, crazy hours) but was doing reasonably until this week. I was taking a long, fast walk every day for about an hour and then also doing some strength training and the occasional run. I am mostly looking forward to getting back to that, though laziness is a very attractive concept right now.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#19 of 91 Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 PM

I loooove Leslie Sansone!  I am doing a 2 mile walk/ workout daily and probably won't increase to anything more strenuous because I am so concerned about a repeat miscarriage.  I'd like to add a little yoga though, something very easy and low key, but I find going down, then up, makes me dizzy, so I think it has to be something just on the floor.

#20 of 91 Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 AM

I was doing 5 days a week, but I've had a few hiccups with my schedule recently, and I'm having a hard time fitting it all in.  I already missed one day this week, and I'm going to end up missing another day today, so I'm trying to figure out how to manage that.  Try to do a video at home at the end of the day?  I'm usually too tired by then.  But maybe I'll pull out my prenatal yoga and try it again, it's more low-key than kickboxing videos, after all.

My workout yesterday was actually really hard on me.  I'm a little worried that I'm about to come down with something, because I just felt so much more weak than usual.  I'm eager to talk to my midwife on monday and get her input about warning signs, etc. during workouts.  I feel like maybe I tried a little too hard to push past that weakness, and I didn't feel quite right the whole day.  Taking it easier today, for sure.  Going to get out and enjoy the sunny/60-degree weather when it's time to get my kids home from school.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#21 of 91 Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM

I was running 3 - 4 times a week. But stopped because I would feel absolutely awful and that I pushed too hard. I'm now down to walking and switched my treadmill runs at the gym to doing laps in the pool. I do it over lunch time but my work load at the office has often pushed it aside so I'm lucky to have lunch at my desk. (Just why oh why do people think that they can "drop by" at noon with a 1 hour project is okay! Send me a meeting request people!)

Like before I was pg, getting food and water in before I exercise seems to be key. Otherwise, I feel as though I might faint. I'm jealous of all you ladies who can still run. I was running 3 miles and then had to slow down and scale back to 1 1/2. At that point, I decided it wasn't worth it and should just walk the dog dog2.gif

#22 of 91 Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Since MS has abated a bit I'm trying to get out more.  Typically I take DS out for stroller walking on the weekends for 1-2 hours (zoo, gardens, mall, etc).  During the week it's been tough as I wohm and have had mostly night sickness (instead of morning) but last night I sped walked on the treadmill for 30' and I plan on doing this every night.  I am already 13 lbs over my pre preggy weight with DS (was 110 & 5'5" am now 123lbs) but the weight is holding for now at 10 weeks.  I'm not dieting but am trying to eat healthy and walk daily if I can.

GL all and have HH 9 mos!

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#23 of 91 Old 03-10-2011, 01:04 PM

I'm sucking.  I used to run on our treadmill almost every morning....but now I just can't.  I've been morning sick and I've had a bunch of colds so my lungs aren't very happy when I do anything.  I've lost 2lbs though lol, not on purpose or anything.  I really don't want to gain a ton of weight plus I think its important to be in good shape for labour.  Someone just gave us their elliptical so I'm hoping that will be easier for me to do when I get bigger than running. 

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#24 of 91 Old 03-11-2011, 11:00 AM

I had all sorts of grand ideas that I would keep up my very intense workout schedule through the 1st trimester.  Hahahaha, this baby had other plans.  Since I was very well with my son I never expected to have 3 weeks straight of diarrhea and serious food sensitivities.  This, along with bionic fatigue, has really put a kink in my plans.  I can no longer do ballet b/c it is an evening class that starts at 7pm and by that time I am pooped.  Also, the tummy troubles has not made me inclined to put on a leotard and suck in my gut for 1

f

a 1 hour ballet class.  Sorry for the weird skip, this new forum that mothing uses really doesn't interface well with my mac.  Anyway,  So windsurf has come to a halt due to lack of wind and lack of energy.  I am still running and working out.  I work out and run 3 times a week.  I used to run 4 days a week but now I'm just too tired.  I have managed to keep teaching my Pilates classes though.  So I guess that is how I am doing at 10 weeks.  Running, weight training and teaching Pilates.

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#25 of 91 Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So far I have managed to keep with my normal schedule. I did find this week the weights just felt really heavy. I'm hoping it's just a bad week & that we don't have to look at adjusting my numbers already.

I learned with my pregnancy with ds that I scaled back too much & too soon & REALLLLLLLY super regretted it after his birth as my recovery was horrible & getting back to the point I was before my pregnancy took much longer than it did to get there the first time.

I am finding I am starting to get some mild hip pain. I didn't have this at all with ds so I'm curious to see where it is going. I am "thinking" about trying some yoga (I really do not like yoga but can see it's benefits) - we'll see.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#26 of 91 Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 AM

I've only been getting good amounts of walking in on the weekends.  I think with the time change that will help along with my MS has subsided in the evenings.  I hope to get DS out for a stroller walk tonight.

GL!

#27 of 91 Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 PM

Hi ladies,

I wanted to re-kindle this thread and see how everyone is doing, and provide some words of encouragement!  I imagine by now most of us are starting to feel better- more energy, less sick, and it helps that the weather is nicer!  I know a lot of us are super busy with work- whether inside the home or outside, and of course, other children, and squeezing in exercise is always challenging.

How is everyone doing?  Are you feeling more energized and motivated to exercise?  Have you added any new activities (walking, dancing, swimming, biking, yoga/videos etc)?  For those who are keeping active, awesome job and keep it up!  For those who are not as active as they would like to be, today is always a new day. When I lived in NYC I had the best dentist ever. (Wow, I would almost drive back down to Boston just to have him clean my teeth).  He was Indian, and he'd hum Bollywood tunes while cleaning and always tell me the love story being sung.  Anyway, I was flossing a few times a week, which is better than nothing, and he told me, "from where you see the sunrise, start your day from there." 

I love that quote, and especially when pregnant, I think it is such a positive message about caring for ourselves- we do the best we can, and we always have new opportunities to do things different!

AFM, I'm feeling great, physically.  I'm still running, but much slower.  I think part of it is that maybe I am slower, and part of it is that I'm not as fit after the winter, and part of it is that I have no desire to push myself, and I'm really enjoying running slow.  I do feel more awkward and less graceful though, and I can tell my balance has shifted.  I'm MUCH more aware of not straining or pulling things- and really watch my footing, especially if I'm running off of a curb, or over uneven ground.  I've also gotten a little better at stretching, but should be doing more of that.  Running is still really comfortable and really enjoyable, and I like just running slow and enjoying it.  The only annoying thing is that inevitably, 10 minutes after I start running, no matter how many time I pee before I leave the house, I have to pee again.  We have a park with trails, but no bathrooms, so the trees and bushes have seen a whole lot of action lately. 

Today I'm going to go to Marshalls after work and get a new pair of running shorts and a top.  My old still fit- yay for elastic waists- but they ride up more and *sigh* now my thighs chafe.  And my shirts are all too short, and getting tight, but not in a cute pregnant kind of way.  Normally, I really am looking pregnant.  In my running clothes though, I just look like I'm heavy with a belly.  So I'm excited to get an outfit that is a little more flattering and makes me feel more confident.  Maybe this sounds really shallow, but yeah, I want to look cute and pregnant when I run too! 

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#28 of 91 Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Amy May...it's like you knew I needed a "gentle reminder" redface.gif.

Kudos to you for keeping up with your running...seriously impressed here.

I've been feeling like a lazy bad slug.  Because I'm feeling better now and still haven't started actually doing anything.  But all that's about to change because after getting so annoyed last week that all the evening and weekend prenatal yoga classes in my neighborhood have been mysteriously cancelled...I finally found a class.  One block away from my house!  With the instructor I loved so much last time I was pregnant!  On Saturdays and maybe also Wednesday evenings starting in June!  Perfect.

Still need to get cardio in on a regular basis.  "Walking" around the arborteum with DS for 2+ hours doesn't count because we're always stopping to explore each new thing and the walking is never really fast.  Really need to bust out the Leslie Sansone, I think.

Well, one thing at a time, I suppose.

Thanks for trying to inspire those of us who are floundering a bit.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#29 of 91 Old 05-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Not so great in the rain--I'm a "fast walker." I have managed to walk most days, but usually I do morning and evening.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#30 of 91 Old 05-16-2011, 01:54 PM

I joined a local community center gym and go for the Sat and Sun morning spin classes - LOVE!!!!  At first I was doing 20rpms less than requested during the class at each transition but am now keeping up to within 10 or so....I go so long as I can still have a convo or if I feel a bit off, I just sit back and dial it down a bit.  It's been great for me to go.  I only wish I could go during the week too, but it's impossible since I wohm and those few hours before bedtime are for my son :).

I think that if I have a few good nights of staying up past 9pm when he is in bed, I'll try to do some walking on the treadmill too.

GL all!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page