hcg diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No, I don't plan to go on it!  But I read an article about it today and was really puzzled.  If hCG makes you lose your appetite and stop feeling hunger, why don't all pregnant women lose tons of weight especially in the first trimester??  My hCG levels are probably sky high right now and I'm hungry all the time!

For those who don't know, the hCG diet is where you ingest or inject hCG and eat 500 calories a day (near starvation level).  The hormone supposedly eliminates hunger.  Not something I am interested in doing, but it didn't make any sense to me as someone who has been through many pregnancies.

#2 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 03:59 PM

O_o I do not understand what the benefits to the pregnancy this would have??

#3 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 PM

OOOOOKKK, You didnt mean while pregnant sorry..comprehension fail.

I dunno, sounds like another silly fad to me...

#4 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 PM

I read that today too and it didn't make sense to me. Supposedly it helps people lose weight in their belly and thighs... wtf? being pregnant makes me gain weight in just those places... oh and my face too. Weird.  I noticed the article did say there is no clinical evidence this actually works. 

dissertating mom to three

#5 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

There was an article in Vogue last month about a woman who did this and lost tons of weight and swears by it. But no, I'd not do it. Not unless I had to medically.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#6 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyMom View Post

OOOOOKKK, You didnt mean while pregnant sorry..comprehension fail.

I dunno, sounds like another silly fad to me...

lol!  I didn't want to start a big thread on the main parts of the board so figured I'd ask the DDC!

#7 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM

The diet is actually just a 500 calorie diet. 

The hcg is designed to keep your body from ravaging your organs and muscles while on a starvation level diet. 

There are many, many well designed clinical studies that show that hcg doesn't improve weight loss or composition of weight loss. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#8 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

DDCC from new posts...

I am on my second round of the "homeopathic" version of the diet.  I lost 22 lbs in 22 days, took a short break, and went on to lose 16 more lbs.  Since I need to lose quite a bit more, I am on a second round.

The hCG does not abate hunger.  It mobilizes stored fat.*  This fat retains nutrients, so when it is mobilized it floods your blood stream with calories.  You are only taking in 500 cal/day, but your body has closer to 2,000 cal available to use for energy.  It's important to note that this very low calorie diet is all fresh whole foods and is only continued for a short period of time.  After no more than 40 days, you increase your caloric intake (still fresh whole foods) in steps until you either are ready to eat normally for life or you go on to another round if more weight still needs to be reduced.

The diet was created by a doctor in the 1940s (if I'm not mistaken).  It's not a fad.  I can understand why folks would not want to believe that the homeopathically-prepared version works as well as Rx injections, but that's what I'm using and it works for me.

Since doing the 1st round, I have lost my cravings for simple carbs and other unhealthy foods and I feel full after just a small bit of food...a normal amount.  I tried to eat a large-sized BK meal the other day and couldn't finish it, whereas in the past I would have eaten it and still been hungry for more.

*Quick history:  I gained about 80 or so lbs with my 1st pg.  I had normal morning sickness and then quit working early in the 3rd tri, so I basically sat around and ate junk and got fat.  With ds2, I had hyperemesis.  I lost 10 lbs right away and never put on another lb until I hit about 40 wks.  From 40 wks to 42 wks I gained 10 lbs, so that put me back to where I was when I conceived.  I gained another 10 in the next 3 days til ds was born, but it was all water.  I had pitting edema, so gross.  When ds2 was 3 days old, I got on the scale and was already more than 10 lbs under my conception weight.  So basically, my body had been burning fat all through the pg.  I couldn't keep down a single bite of food for the entire pg, but I gave birth to a big fat roly poly 9 lb-er.  After reading about the hCG diet, I remembered reading that hyperemesis was usually caused by super high levels of hCG.  So I guess I was mobilizing stored fat all through my pg, which allowed to baby to get all the nutrition he needed.

I was morbidly obese when I got pg with ds.  hCG in a weight  loss application does not cause people of healthy size to lose weight.  It only causes fat burning, not muscle burning, so if you are not fat and try the diet, you won't lose weight..  Perhaps a mama who is still hungry while pg is hungry bc she is of normal size and therefore the natural hCG has no fat to mobilize which would provide calories, which in turn would curb hunger.

Bring back the old MDC
#9 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 PM

I tried this diet and it worked great for me!! But like anything else I didn't stick to it. It made sense to me because I always lose weight in the first trimester without trying....even when I am able to eat normally. Maybe it is like the previous poster said..if you are at a normal weight and don't have fat to mobilize you would feel hungry..but I didn't feel a bit hungry while on the diet or even now..my eating is purely emotional.

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#10 of 11 Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 AM

I have known people who have had great success with this. It's not something I would do.. and I can't imagine the results are lasting, as who could maintain such a lifestyle?

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#11 of 11 Old 03-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

All you have to do to maintain is eat normally when your excess weight is lost.  Good lord, do people really think one must eat 500 cal per day for life?!  LOL  No. no, it's just  a few weeks then you go back to eating normally.  Some people need to do multiple rounds, but every round always ends with a healthy diet consisting of an everage amount of calories.  When you have lost all of your weight and are ending your final round you begin a lifetime of healthy, normal eating.

nicolian likes this.

Bring back the old MDC

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page