Anyone have a nickname for their baby In utero? Lol - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 03-09-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know our baby cannot hear yet, being that my wife is only 7 weeks pg, but I still talk to her belly every night, and plan on doing so, every night, for the entire time she is pregnant, lol....So anyhow maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago, we were talking and she said something about the baby only being the size of a poppy seed. For some reason, that just stuck in my mind, so now I refer to the baby as "Poppy"

Whenever I call from work to check on her, I'll say "How are you & Poppy doing?" or when I talk to her belly, I'll say "Hellooooo Poppy, mama loves you!" ROTFLMAO.gif

I hve a feeling that the nickname will stick around, even after the baby is born...Even though, obviously.....It won't be the size of a Poppy seed anymore! ;)

rainbow1284.gifApril & Jenn--Mommy & Mama To Three Kiddos, DS-17 jammin.gif DS-14 wild.gif & DD-12 hearts.gif Rest in Peace sweet Elliana, our DD who was stillborn 10-1-11. You will forever be our Sunshine coolshine.gif Cautiously anticipating our rainbow baby on the 4th of July!! rainbow1284.gif

#2 of 35 Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
~pi

love.gif I love it. (I actually once knew a woman named Poppy. She was a lovely person.)

Our nicknames tend to be of the temporary variety. DS had a personal name when he was on the inside; the current one is niblet. I don't see us calling the kid cob when she or he is on the outside, though we may make jokes about husking at some point.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#3 of 35 Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 PM

Because ours is due October 29th, the little one is currently called Pumpkin!

#4 of 35 Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 PM

My little one is currently dubbed "Fi Fi the Ferocious Fetus" thanks to my coworkers, lol.  So Fi Fi it is until we find out gender and can give him/her a proper name :)

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#5 of 35 Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 PM

Ours is called Squiggle.  :D

#6 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 12:27 AM

The sprog.
#7 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 03:26 AM

Ours is The Passenger. DS was called Rowdy in utero, and part of me would still like to find something a little more name-like for this one, but Passenger seems to be sticking (DH thinks it is funny).

#8 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 05:03 AM

Gizmo.  :) 

Apparently this is not an exceptable given name according to some people (person) in my household.  :-P

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#9 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 05:43 AM

Ours is Omee.  Think "Brangelina." 

My very dear friends called hers Cletus (as in Cletus the Fetus) and Generic (and they thought of it as either Jenny or Rick).

I think it is really fun having something to call this little person while it is still growing- I love hearing all your names too!  How fun!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#10 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 AM

Boo!

As in I know you were contracepting and not expecting a baby but I am here anyways SO BOO!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#11 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

Boo!

As in I know you were contracepting and not expecting a baby but I am here anyways SO BOO!

This had me laughing so hard!  Brilliant! 

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#12 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 06:26 AM

We joked that we're naming this one Trey as it's baby #3.

#13 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 07:01 AM

I love these names- I might steal one! Thinking we'll tell our DS this weekend and maybe he'd like to come up with a name with us?? we didn't really have names for the other two- though Rowdy would have been a good one for #1. He was an acrobat in utero.

I like that rhyme too... contracepting and not expecting... describes us too...

dissertating mom to three

#14 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 07:07 AM

I have dubbed the new bean "the tiebreaker" since we already have a boy and a girl...

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#15 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Lol, thanks so much for sharing ladies, I loved reading through all of these!! :-) Its neat how everyone has their own little names for cute reasons!!

rainbow1284.gifApril & Jenn--Mommy & Mama To Three Kiddos, DS-17 jammin.gif DS-14 wild.gif & DD-12 hearts.gif Rest in Peace sweet Elliana, our DD who was stillborn 10-1-11. You will forever be our Sunshine coolshine.gif Cautiously anticipating our rainbow baby on the 4th of July!! rainbow1284.gif

#16 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 10:44 AM

This one doesn't have a nickname that has stuck yet (we are mostly calling it "number 2" - not cute) - but our first was Cletus the Fetus - ha!  We used it so consistently that lots of folks thought we were *actually planning to name our child Cletus*.  Dear god.

mama to Hank - 12/09/09

#17 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 10:48 AM

We're calling the little one jellybean. I have had a couple ultrasounds so far (to rule out ectopic b/c of cramping and one to check on baby because I've been SO dehydrated) and on the first one the baby looked just like a little jellybean. It stuck. :)

partners.gif Married to an awesome dh for 5 years. energy.gifSweetpea, our honeymoon baby! (06/07), biggrinbounce.gif Little man (04/09), and rolleyes.gif our newest little guy (10/11).

#18 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 AM

DH and my mother object to me calling it "the parasite," so we mostly just call it "the baby."

However, and this is possibly TMI, when we were TTC, DH would pick a different boys name each time we DTD and we'd cheer that name on - "Go Carlos, go!" It was during one of these times that we figured out a name we really liked, so the two of us have basically been calling the baby by its actual name (if it's a boy) since it was a sperm. lol

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#19 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 12:33 PM

DD was (and still is) Boo and so this one is BooToo! (Or BooTwo....really either makes sense)

Though, my sister who is also pg calls hers boo as well...so maybe mine should be boothree as she's due before me...

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#20 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

DH and my mother object to me calling it "the parasite," so we mostly just call it "the baby."

However, and this is possibly TMI, when we were TTC, DH would pick a different boys name each time we DTD and we'd cheer that name on - "Go Carlos, go!" It was during one of these times that we figured out a name we really liked, so the two of us have basically been calling the baby by its actual name (if it's a boy) since it was a sperm. lol
lol.gif
#21 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM

These are too cute!

DS was Moon Rocket. When we got the billion questions on what his name would be I always answered Moon Rocket. Nobody even knew any names we were considering.

Still working on a name for this one.... none have stuck yet....

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#22 of 35 Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 PM

Mine is El Gordo.   He's small right now, but give him a couple months!

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#23 of 35 Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by capretta View Post

The sprog.

love.gif DS was sproglet on the inside, sprog once out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

biglaugh.gif

#24 of 35 Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 AM

This little critter now has an official name... Sunburst love.gif DS was Moon Rocket before he was born so we decided to stick to the space theme winky.gif

#25 of 35 Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 AM

Our sproutling has a nickname too. Courtesy of his/her oldest sister, who decided that the new baby will be a baby brother and should be called Bobo. So... Bobo it is, at least until Bobo arrives earth-side, and then we are soooo changing it! 

Tourneymama likes this.

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#26 of 35 Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Haha, these are all hilarious, cute & creative. Loved reading all of them! We didn't have a nick-name for DS, but we're calling this baby "caterpillar" until we figure out a name... no reason, my husband started calling it caterpillar and it stuck. :)

Breastfeeding, delayed/selective vax, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, homebirthing mama to son River 8/10/09 and daughter Austen 10/13/11
mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpg homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#27 of 35 Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 AM

so far we've used several...(Not sure why...) but we've used "Bug", "sea monkey", "sprout", "kumquat", "beaner"....my husband has a different name for the baby everyday.lol (some were  in reference to the actual size/stage of pregnancy...)

I think sea monkey and kumquat are the keepers though, those seem to be the most often used.

I have this weird thing with not wanting to call a baby by it's name until after it's born, so even if we find out what it is, we won't be calling it by it's chosen name until after.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#28 of 35 Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 AM
~pi

I love sea monkey. What a great name!

#29 of 35 Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrabelle View Post

I have this weird thing with not wanting to call a baby by it's name until after it's born, so even if we find out what it is, we won't be calling it by it's chosen name until after.

We don't/won't call the baby by anything but the nickname until after birth as well. Part of it is because I don't want to call it a name then look at the baby and decide that's not the name (the only name I seriously considered for ds just was not him when I saw him so I totally changed it to something I'd not even considered). The other reason is because we don't tell anyone the name until after the birth, it helps avoid a lot of the "I don't like that name", "you should name it this instead" crap.

#30 of 35 Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM

Steph, that's pretty much the same way we feel. Same reasons;) Besides, it's also kind of fun to announce the name at the birth!

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page