October DDC, how long were you TTC? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How long were you TTC before you got your BFP?
wasn’t trying, aka oops 16 27.12%
was whatevering 11 18.64%
1 month 6 10.17%
2-3 months 7 11.86%
4-6 months 5 8.47%
7-12 months 6 10.17%
1-2 years 6 10.17%
more than 2 years 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
previous polls:

How many children including this one (these two)?

Your age when the first was/is born?

How old are you?
#2 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We did 6 rounds of clomid & were on a break from the drugs before trying something new. What a great surprise to actually conceive on our own.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 10:11 AM

This was our fifth cycle TTC.

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#4 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM

I stopped birth control in the middle of the pack in December. We got married January 1st and decided to try right away. This baby was conceived on/around January 19th love.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#5 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 10:40 AM

We were trying for 15 months. I did 5 rounds of Clomid, got pregnant but miscarried, tried without meds for a few months, then did 3 more rounds of Clomid. That was unsuccessful, so we tried Femara, and that worked on the first try.

#6 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 12:05 PM

I went off chemical birth control in November, but we weren't actively trying.  Learning to chart was harder than I expected.  Figuring out after the fact that I ovulated (based on obvious thermal shift) was easy, but having any idea of impending fertility, not so much!  My first 2 cycles were both very long and hard to understand.

On my 3rd post-pill cycle, I wasn't noticing any cervical fluid or anything, but DH and I were feeling particularly amorous... I think we DTD on 12 out of 14 consecutive days.  When I had a temp shift one morning, I was fairly certain we could likely be pregnant.  

You know how in high school there were those kids that studied really hard to pass the test?  And then the others that were just naturally smart, and without studying would just show up and pass the test?  I felt like we were that kid.  We just kind of showed up and got pregnant.

We were definitely talking baby-making, but both of us were prepared for it taking many many many months.  When I went off the pill, I began taking folic acid, prenatals, and eventually B-6 (one of the side effects of the pill is that it depletes your natural B-6 levels, which can shorten your luteal phase).  

After hearing so many women's stories, I have a new appreciation for how easy it was to conceive.  When you think about how many moving parts are involved, sometimes it amazes me that babies are even born in the first place- amazing to think how many things have to happen just so.

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#7 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 12:18 PM

We had not been avoiding since our son was born in August of 09. We got pregnant much to our surprise in May 2010, but it was a blighted ovum. We had to do IVF to conceive our son, and had 2 frozen 5 day blasts left from his cycle. We transferred those in Jan, and found out we were pregnant with twins the beginning of Feb. 

It took us 3 years to get pregnant with our DS. I had done 3 cycles of Clomid, got pregnant and it was Ectopic that ruptured so I had emergency surgery and removal of my right tube. After that we decided to move on to IVF. I am so thankful we did.

K 30 married to J 40 Love being a SAHM to our IVF miracles: Jackson 08/09, Emily and Miles 09/11 Missing our lost babies 04/08, 08/10. Currently planted on a soft surface bfinfant.gifall day long.

#8 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Went through 10 months of infertility/IUI with DS who is now 17 months. Since our infertility was male factor, we did not even think we could get pregnant on our own. Then we did. Surprise!!!!

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#9 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

After hearing so many women's stories, I have a new appreciation for how easy it was to conceive.  When you think about how many moving parts are involved, sometimes it amazes me that babies are even born in the first place- amazing to think how many things have to happen just so.

I remember before I stopped birth control, dh and I were talking about TTC. He kept wanting to know how far I would want to take it if we couldn't get pregnant on our own. I think he was concerned that maybe something would be wrong with him and he wouldn't be able to have kids without interventions (ds is from a different relationship, he was conceived as a one-shot wonder). It was interesting to have to think about how far we would take it, if we couldn't conceive without help. I think we both imagined it would take at least a few months so when it happened on the first try (again) we were both a little shocked! Now we'll probably be more wary of unprotected sex unless we really want another child at that time! LOL! (before I went off the pill we always used at least one form of birth control, though usually we doubled up and used the pill and condoms).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#10 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 02:56 PM

I got pregnant my second cycle of trying.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#11 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 03:13 PM

It took us almost a year of testing and fertility treatments to conceive DS. That was 4 years ago. We decided not to use birth control after DS was born. So we were trying but not really. Since it has been 4 years, we kind of stopped really thinking about it. Figured maybe we just couldn't conceive on our own and we were content with DS. So, we were surprised when we found out. Definitely happy but also very surprised.

Neeka - mom to DS-4 and wife to computer fanatic DH
#12 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 03:44 PM

I voted 7-12 months but DS2 is just over a year old, so while we wanted another baby as soon as possible, we knew it would be a while. These two will be exactly the same number of months apart (22) as my DS1 and DD.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#13 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 06:20 PM

My first took 13 cycles to conceive. My second was 2 cycles. My third was unplanned, but not a surprise either. My fourth took 5 cycles and this baby took two cycles.
#14 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 PM

OOPS!!  yikes2.gif

We had decided we were done and then one crazy night of passion we didn't grab in our drawer for a condom like we ALWAYS do...  As soon as we were done we just looked at each other and said "Oh no!"  And that's the story of how Baby M came to be, lol.

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#15 of 28 Old 03-21-2011, 07:41 AM

I voted 4-6 months. We started trying in June 2010 and were successful right away. I had a miscarriage. We took a month off (wasn't physically ready) then had what I believe was a chemical pregnancy. We took a couple more months off (wasn't emotionally ready) then started TTC again in January, and were once again successful right away.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#16 of 28 Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 AM

In our young relationship of older people, lol, we talked about trying...kind of expecting that our age would be a factor. In December I thought we Dtd around the right time but I ended up with a 25 day cycle. In January we dtd on both the right day for 25 or 28... Mostly by chance and good luck because we weren't living together yet. And despite our advanced age...39 me and 42 him (I know it's not that old, I just feel old) we did get pregnant the first time we dtd on the right day. So, I answered 2-3 months....

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#17 of 28 Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM

Well, we conceived on our 2nd cycle of clomid. We haven't used birth control since DD was born.

DD was conceived after nearly 3 years of trying. We did 8 cycles of clomid and 4 IUI's.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#18 of 28 Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not sure of the difference between TTC and 'whatever.'

So by 'TTC' does that mean you were charting your cycles and timing sex for your fertile window every month?  And does 'whatever' mean you have no idea when your fertile window is?

I don't chart so I guess we were 'whatevering.'  We did that for 5 months (or maybe 4.5).  But I have a pretty regular cycle and I keep an eye on my CM so I have a general idea of when my fertile window is, and I am pretty sure that we didn't DTD anywhere near the right time until the last month.  (mostly due to lack of opportunity - relatives staying with us, traveling separately, lightly sleeping baby, etc.)

So I could say that we were TTC one month (since that was the first month we had good timing) or I could just say that we were whatevering.

I guess I will vote that we were 'whatevering.'  That category doesn't seem to have too many votes.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#19 of 28 Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

To me, not practicing/using any form of birth control *is* TTC. But that may be influenced by the fact that I was actively trying to avoid pregnancy for 15 years. I include the category of "whatevering" because I know that some women here make a distinction.

Certainly, I would not say that TTC requires charting. Most women, I think, who try to conceive are not charting.
#20 of 28 Old 03-22-2011, 02:14 PM

We have lost 2 babies in less than a year (17 wks in august (Emeric) and then 8 wks in Nov.) Emeric was a charting to avoid, funky cycle, whoops. Then we ttc and lost that baby in nov. We decided condoms until may and then we would decide what we were going to do. We used condoms during my fertile phase both cycles since my m/c and got pg with this baby on the 2nd cycle. So I voted a definate oops.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#21 of 28 Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM

I put "whatevering" because we were neither actively avoiding pregnancy nor gung-ho about making a baby.  Though I was charting, I was still in the learning curve.  But we'd been talking about having a baby, and though we were still fiddling with the timing, we both definitely wanted a baby.  So it wasn't exactly an "oops," but more a "wow, that was fast."  And I remember waking up the next day being totally excited about the potential that we were definitely in the conception-window. I guess that was "whatevering," but just to be clear, there wasn't any ambivalance.

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#22 of 28 Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 PM

My third child took a year to conceive and I was charting carefully. I was about to just give up when I did get pregnant. My last option was to get a bit tipsy and have unprotected sex and that's when it worked LOL With this one, we finally decided (after about 3 years) to have another one, and it happened on first ovulation. I was very shocked!! I was thinking it would either take a looong time or would never happen, this being 9 years later and in my mid-30s.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#23 of 28 Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 PM

oops.

I went off of hormonal bc because I wasn't tolerating it well. My husband was going to get a vasectomy and we were using condoms in the meantime. We had a condom fail, and I took Plan B (the morning after pill) 10 hours later. 5 days of hormone hell and a late period 2 weeks later....

Now we get to hear everybody asking if we were trying for a boy, lol. We have three girls :)

Randi Sue, proud mama to 3 girls, Solstice (11/04), Luna (3/06), and Daphne Blue (2/09). Married to Sol for almost 7 years(!) I'm.... moderately crunchy.
#24 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 03:55 AM

We were trying to avoid. We were using condoms and didn't even have a failure that we know about. I am also breastfeeding my almost 2-yo and I am 36yo, so frankly I am quite surprised.

dissertating mom to three

#25 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 AM

We were whatevering. Due to my religion (I'm Catholic, and a pretty traditional one), we don't really practice any type of birth control, other than a half hearted attempt at NFP (natural family planning). Truth is, we leave it in God's hands and were fine with whatever would happen. So very literally whatevering lol. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#26 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 AM

We were basically throwing caution to the wind, and just somewhat avoiding sex during my fertile phases....yeah. the key word being "somewhat"...lol.

We knew we wanted a baby anyway, so it really doesn't matter. We were planning to start trying this summer to avoid yet another autumn baby.(all of our birthdays are in the fall, including my mom, his mom, his brother etc-both of us, our kids....argh!)

Oh well. It shall be a little thanksgiving baby :) (canadian)  And to be honest, I love having babies in autumn, it's a beautiful season.

The only reason I was really avoiding it was because we're booked to go to mexico in july for a wedding-and it's all inclusive! Meaning-i'm paying for drinks that I can't actually have! grrrr.

(and for the record, if it werent for my dh's best friend's wedding, we would not be going to mexico in july! And certainly not paying what we are-they picked the most expensive resort ever.) Man, that's another story though..

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#27 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 AM

I love the 'whatevering' choice, too. Thankyou so much for putting it on there. We do not use birth control, just the pull and pray method which worked pretty good for 5.5 years.. and we did not discuss the idea of having another other then in intimate moments, he wasn't hoping to, and I wasn't until a couple months before I just started thinking about it. I spent most of my time focusing on not having more, but something changed.. I think many of my friends being pregnant and their baby dust all around, and other things helped my mind start to change.

I know exactly when it happened and he did too, since we didn't pull out.. and lo and behold.. that's all it took. It was a very fun time. ;)

After this one though, I think I will be finally ready to get on birth control.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#28 of 28 Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM

It was our first cycle of "whatevering"...not officially trying, not preventing right then either. We were a bit shock it only took one time!

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page