HG, not something I thought I'd get....(warning....TMI) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I ended up in the ER on Friday. In the past 2 weeks I have had severe nausea to the point of vomiting violently everything in my stomach and then some. I can't even keep water down. I ended up extremely dehydrated and unable to think properly among other things. I had no idea that 'morning sickness' could be this bad. They diagnosed me as having HG or Hyperemesis Gravidarum in the ER and I guess it makes sense. I am miserable. They gave me an IV and some prescription drugs but I was later told by the pharmacist that the drugs have major risks. Great. There is no way to describe how it feels to be nauseous 24 hours a day. I just want to sleep. My poor husband....I have become so high maintenance...

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

#2 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM

I'm sorry. I hope you start feeling better soon!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#3 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Wow, sorry! That sounds awful :(

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#4 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Oh, how awful. Sorry to hear that. I also hope you feel better soon!
#5 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 AM

A friend of mine had the same diagnosis with her pregnancy, though I've never suffered from it I can only imagine what you're going through!

I hope you feel better soon! I'll be keeping you and your little one in my thoughts

#6 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM

That is horrible, I'm sorry you are so miserable. I've never had HG but I have tremendous respect for mamas who do. I can't imagine what it must be like, I always picture it as having a brutal stomach bug that doesn't go away for months. Poor you, I hope you get some relief soon!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#7 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 PM

DDC crashing to commiserate :)  I'm on number three, believe it or not.  I would recommend visiting the HG site Help Her www.helpher.org - lots of great info there.  Zofran is a wonder drug for many people.  For me, only the IV zofran worked and that wasn't offered outside of the hospital.  I found that the unisom + B6 combo worked for me.  I take half a unisom at 7am, 10am, 1pm, and 4pm then a whole one at 8pm.  I discovered it well into my last pregnancy but was very proactive this time and instead of spending the first trimester vomiting a minimum of 5-6 times a day, I managed to only vomit 1-2 times.  Huge improvement.  Now in my second tri, I'm fine until about 4pm on but no vomiting, usually - just icky nausea.  There's also Reglan, which I never tried.  And there's Phenergan, which worked for me but it just puts you to sleep so if you can't sleep all day, it's really not doable.  Find a Dr or midwife who understands HG and doesn't put you off as a complainer.  To me, the psychological part of being sick all the time, and the entire time, becomes much more difficult to deal w/ than the actual being sick.  So do whatever you can to find a workable solution.  Good luck!

#8 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 02:40 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry. A friend of mine recently dealt with this.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#9 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 03:02 PM

I am so... so..sorry... I can't imagine... I had pretty bad morning sickness and that was bad enough... I recently read about HG. I just cannot imagine going through something like that. It sounds awful, inconceivable. I am so sorry, mama. Just take care of yourself... lie in a cold, dark room... don't worry about being high-maintenance. Do whatever you can to make life more comfortable for yourself right now. Don't worry about showering and changing your close, if you can help it. I don't know if this will help, but I've heard upset stomachs can handle one teaspoon of water every ten minutes, and if you take liquids at that rate you will stay hydrated. Hugs to you. 

Breastfeeding, delayed/selective vax, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, homebirthing mama to son River 8/10/09 and daughter Austen 10/13/11
mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpg homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#10 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 03:23 PM

My mom had 5 babies and had HG with every single one of them.  It was miserable for everyone involved.  Do whatever you need to do and cut yourself a ton of slack.  It will get better eventually.  hug2.gif

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#11 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 04:50 PM

{{ hugs }} greensad.gif
#12 of 15 Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM

hug2.gif  I'm so sorry!  I can't imagine what you must be going through! =(

RN-BSN student mama to my wildchild, DS, 6 bouncy.gif....with twin boys on the way October 4, 2011!

#13 of 15 Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

I can't tell you ladies how badly I want to eat something. As soon as I bring the fork to my mouth however, it all goes downhill from there. The only relief I get is when I'm sleeping, and thank god I get that! I can barely move during the day and it takes everything I have to change my sons diaper. Also, my milk has all but dried up and my poor baby is so sad. :(

I feel like the lamest mother right now. I can't do anything with him and I can barely feed him.

I did get 2 prescriptions, Zofran and Phenergan but they both have risks and say clearly that they should only be used when the benefits outweigh the risks. I have upped my b vitamin intake and I have as much water as I can tolerate at a time. My midwife suggested marijuana and after doing a bunch of reading I decided to try it. (Mothering has an article on it). It works almost instantly for a bit of relief and I gotta say I am really happy to have even that bit. I did get a TON of flack from family members though and someone (I don't know who yet) threatened to call CPS on me. I am enraged to say the least. If they had any idea what I was going through, they would probably make the same decision for relief, with almost no side effects.

I feel like death lately, all I want is to feel better so I can function on a basic level....

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

#14 of 15 Old 03-22-2011, 02:23 PM

I have HG too, and man is it rough.  The IV fluids help, but are not fun.  You nailed it though, when you said how awful you feel for your poor husband.  My family must be so sick of taking care of me.  My husband makes us breakfast and lunch before he goes to work, comes home from a long day to put the kids to bed, do the housework and try to get to bed at a reasonable hour.  I feel so useless.  Ugh.

I hope it passes soon- I feel like maybe it has been lifting a little the past few days.  I'm 10 weeks now...not sure how long it will last, but am grateful for every good day!

Hang in there!

Helen

SAHM to Matias (3) and Violet (18 mo), and avid homemaker, seamstress, gardener, knitter and cook.
#15 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 PM

I'm suffering from HG, too, and it's quite honestly one of the worst experiences I've ever had.  I am 14.2 weeks now, and was lucky to not have the severe vomiting/dehydration kick in until about week 9.  I went to the ER, stayed overnight hooked up to an IV, and by the next day was feeling much better.  I went home able to eat small amounts of food and drink water, mild juices, etc. again.  I thought I was out of the woods, but then became really ill again about a week ago, at 13 weeks.  Back to the ER, only this time the fluids weren't enough and I ended up even sicker the next day.  I am now on a home IV and have a prescription for Zofran, which I also don't like taking due to the risks, but will upon occasion to take the edge off the vomiting, which was getting so out of hand for me, I was coughing up blood.  I'm also taking Zantac for heartburn, which is helping a little bit.  I tried Nux Vomica, Sepia, and Ginger/B6 tablets, which didn't seem to do much for me, but maybe I tried them too late.  Has anyone had any luck with accupuncture for morning sickness this severe?  If I was confident it would work, I'd do it, but the thought of laying on a table feeling like puking for 45 minutes a session doesn't seem too appealing, if I can't be sure it would work.  Everyday I try to drink water, juice, energy drinks, etc., and they come right back up.  I dream of the day I can start eating fruit and drinking smoothies again.  This is my second pregnancy, and though I was sick with my first, it was nothing on earth compared to this. My husband has been doing everything - taking care of our daughter, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. on his days off, and on the days he works, my daughter has to stay at my mom's.  I asked my nurse today how much longer this normally lasts - I know it is different for everyone, but I wanted an average, and she said it could be two weeks or two months. I'm praying I only have two weeks left of it being this horrible. I simply can't bear the thought of this going on until the very end.  I feel for all of you experiencing this right now. Everyone assures me it WILL END, but right now that end doesn't seem near enough.  hug2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page