Intelligender-who's doing it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, so I know it isn't foolproof..but when I saw "intelligender" on the shelf about 4 years ago I thought "heck, that looks like fun!" and vowed that i'd try it with the next baby.

So I bought it, (on sale thank goodness-that stuff is kind of expensive...) and i'm going to do it in a couple of days. (you have to be at least 10 weeks, and you can't have sex for 48 hours before the test. It will throw it off.)

Has anyone done it before? How were the results? I know we'll find out with the sono in about 7-8 weeks anyway...but still. I'd love to know now!!

Anyone else doing it?

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#2 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 01:05 PM

I did the GenderMaker one and I was disappointed as it was supposed to turn blue or pink and mine turned purple!! irked.gif Supposedly though, purple means boy, but I was hoping for a more definite answer with an already not definite test!! I did the red cabbage thing also, just for fun...it is purportedly similar to the way the other gender tests work..via pH variance. It said boy too. I don't really put any real expectations into the results though. I figured that since I have never tried anything that I would play around this time since I am probably done after this one.winky.gif Good luck!!

Leia
Homeschooling mommy to 5 girls with number 6 on the way! joy.gifhomeschool.gifbfinfant.gifgoorganic.jpg
#3 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 01:10 PM

I have never done it, and probably wouldn't. I have heard drano is just as effective, though..?

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#4 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 01:50 PM

I did one the other day, it said boy! I guess we will find out in 7-9 weeks if its accurate.

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

#5 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

What is the cabbage  thing?? I've never heard of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbeautifulgirls View Post

I did the GenderMaker one and I was disappointed as it was supposed to turn blue or pink and mine turned purple!! irked.gif Supposedly though, purple means boy, but I was hoping for a more definite answer with an already not definite test!! I did the red cabbage thing also, just for fun...it is purportedly similar to the way the other gender tests work..via pH variance. It said boy too. I don't really put any real expectations into the results though. I figured that since I have never tried anything that I would play around this time since I am probably done after this one.winky.gif Good luck!!

#6 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM

There's the baking soda test to try as well. Get a small container, and put about 2 Tablespoons baking soda in it, then pee in the cup just a little bit. If it bubbles like pop, it's supposedly a girl. If it foams like beer, boy.

I tried it & got the foam, meaning boy. I checked several Chinese gender calendars, and all said boy. I did the wedding ring over the wrist, and it got all my kids right, and said this was boy too. I also tried the babyman.net website, that came up boy too. Everything's pointing to boy! We'll have to wait & see, we will be finding out!

#7 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 PM

He he he...I knew I would attract a question about that wink1.gif I actually had never heard of it either and I have been preggers 8 times!! Anyhoo...here is a link to the "procedure". If nothing else, you get some tasty cabbage to eat! (I actually love cooked cabbage!innocent.gif)

http://www.ehow.com/how_5134590_perform-gender-test-during-pregnancy.html

Quote:

Leia
Homeschooling mommy to 5 girls with number 6 on the way! joy.gifhomeschool.gifbfinfant.gifgoorganic.jpg
#8 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 06:52 AM

I tried it last time and it was wrong :( So nope not again they are pretty expensive!

Mom to energy.gif Lucy Jo 1-06, hbac.gif Samuel Jude 9-09 with belly.gif baby #3 on the way sometime in October! We homeschool.gifnocirc.gifsaynovax.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifwinner.jpg
#9 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 AM

I read somewhere that you can get the same result with just using pH sticks (like for your swimming pool water). Low pH means girl, high pH means boy. Sounds  a lot cheaper than the Intelligender test. winky.gif I love these kinds of things, if I could find an Intelligender test around here I'm sure I would try it. I did the pH stick thing and it said girl, and I am so trying the baking soda test as well. Too bad DH hates red cabbage, that would have been a fun one to do as well!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#10 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

I had to buy it in niagara falls NY, since it isn't available in Canada. I didn't pay the usual $30 though, i got it half price. I don't think I would have bought it otherwise.

I know that it can be wrong too...(I think it's only 90% accurate...) so it's really just more for fun than anything.

I'd never heard the other tests though, except drano...lol (which is mostly lye, so maybe that would work too?) I think we'll take the test on friday or saturday:)

#11 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post

There's the baking soda test to try as well. Get a small container, and put about 2 Tablespoons baking soda in it, then pee in the cup just a little bit. If it bubbles like pop, it's supposedly a girl. If it foams like beer, boy.

Update: according to the baking soda test, it's a girl! Two for two, and they both go with my gut feeling. DH is going to die laughing if it turns out to be a boy. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#12 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM

Fun thread! I thought about the Intelligender, but I'd have to go the US to purchase-and in addition, it seems to have a pretty high incorrect answer rate. For $30, I'm not sure I'd risk it.

I have done the ring over the belly, chinese gender my fave is this one...makes me laugh every time: http://www.obfocus.com/calculators/gender.htm and all but one said Girl. I'd really really love a little girl for my last baby-but I'm trying to not get my hopes up. I keep reminding myself that just a few months ago, I would've been happy with a baby period. But I am human. And this house needs some feminine energy to help balance out the 3 male humans, and 2 male dogs! lol

I'm so going to try the baking soda test-maybe the cabbage test too! SOOO fun!

:)

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#13 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 PM

PS: Babyman.net says girl too! Though...it seems awfully similar to the Chinese prediction method...

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#14 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post

How many of us are peeing in a baking soda cup now?!? I will be later shy.gif

ETA- babyman.net says girl. Chinese gender chart says boy. That is not helpful. LOL!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#15 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

ETA- babyman.net says girl. Chinese gender chart says boy. That is not helpful. LOL!

Just did! LOL!!!! I got a fizzer not a foamer...another Girl sign! Sooo can't wait to know if it's right! :)

#16 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to do that tonight...(the baking soda..) do you think it really matters if it's "first morning urine" or not? lol

#17 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I did it and i'm a little confused...It was definitely foamy on top, like beer, but sounded pretty dang fizzy too! (I didn't do it in a clear cup, that probably would have helped, so that I could actually SEE if it's fizzy...)

For those of you who saw it bubble like pop...was there foam on top too?

I just realized how gross this all actually is. We're talking about pee here people! peeeeee!!!! lol

#18 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 AM

I didn't use first morning urine, but I don't know how that would change PH...and as for what I saw, I did it in a clear glass, and it was super fizzy/bubbly, though there was a very tiny line of white foam on top-it was very thin though, and didn't look like beer foam, so....

And besides-I want a girl, so I'll take all the answers that support that! lol!

And yes, I was thinking about the gross factor too. When you get pregnant, all bets are off on topics! lol!!

#19 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

LOL yep I ran and took it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabesgrrrl View Post

I didn't use first morning urine, but I don't know how that would change PH...and as for what I saw, I did it in a clear glass, and it was super fizzy/bubbly, though there was a very tiny line of white foam on top-it was very thin though, and didn't look like beer foam, so....

I got the same result..but babyman and the chinese predictor said boyeyesroll.gif

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#20 of 22 Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so intelligender said it's a boy! We'll see in about 6 weeks....:)

#21 of 22 Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 AM

I am undecided about Intelligender but I have been testing with PH Strips just to see what they would say. I tested at 6 weeks and 9 weeks and will continue to test here and there just to see what happens.

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#22 of 22 Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 PM

So I did the cabbage test tonight for fun. It said girl like the baking soda test did. But Baby man and the chinese chart say boy. Can't wait to find out who is right. Hoping it is not my son cuz he says that I am having one of each!!

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page