What do you think about Bebe au Lait nursing covers aka hooter hiders? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've nursed three kids for 1-2 years each and have never owned a nursing cover.  I've NIP regularly, and never felt like I was indecently exposed.  But for some reason, I have this thought in my head maybe it would be nice to have one?

What do you think?

#2 of 29 Old 03-25-2011, 07:49 PM

I don't, personally, like them. I felt so constricted.. and nursing is a little tough sometimes. Having that extra layer there just made it that much harder for me. That said, I know they are so wonderful for a lot of women. Not everyone is as un-modest as myself. lol

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#3 of 29 Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think they make it more obvious that you are nursing & trying to hide it.

I got one as a gift for ds but never felt I needed it. I wasn't nearly as uncomfortable nip as I expected I would be 'cause when ds was crying all I cared about was meeting his needs. When I was somewhere that I felt a little more discretion was necessary (ie. in a restaurant while out for supper with dh's coworkers) I would wear ds in my ring sling & that gave us plenty of privacy.

FWIW - I have HUGE boobs & still didn't feel I was ever flashing anyone.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 29 Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I never liked the idea of dd nursing with something over her head.  And I think they look funny.  Like the dentist forgot to take off the drool bib, you know?  And it's just another thing to pack around.  But if you want one, go for it!  They sure have super cute fabric. 

I still nurse dd (2yrs) in public, so maybe I'm not one to chime in.  I'll nurse wherever, and if anyone challenges me on it, I'd give them a piece of my mind.  But then I live in a very crunchy community.  Maybe I'd feel differently if I lived in a place where breastfeeding was not the norm?
OP:  How is it where you live?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#5 of 29 Old 03-25-2011, 10:15 PM

The place where I found it very useful was at church.  I just followed the lead of most of the other moms and got one when DS was born.

It was hot and uncomfortable for us both, but I didn't feel comfortable letting it all hang out.  As time has gone on, though, I've used it less and less.  

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#6 of 29 Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 PM

One with boning in it would be good for outdoors to block the wind. It will be pretty dang cold here and I have one that I never used, but it may get used this time.

I usually just nurse in a sling but with 2 kids running around outside I mayneed an extra wind block.

With dd I never used a cover as she was a summer baby.

When the baby is old enough to start grabbing things they became useless wink1.gif

My favorite are nursing shirts with a horizontal flap or cut booby holes out of a tank to put under any shirt (my bodaceous ta tas never fit into any nursing tank)

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#7 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 AM

I've also always thought that a nursing cover makes it very obvious that you are nursing and trying to hide it. Which seems silly, why hide something so natural? I do understand it from a modesty standpoint though.

Neither of my girls cared for being covered by blankies or anything, so I never bothered with a real nursing cover. This time I'm thinking of knitting a light, airy wrap to use in case this babe doesn't mind being covered. I'm on a fierce baby-knitting kick at the moment, and looking for more knitting projects all the time lol.

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#8 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 05:25 AM

I never had a real nursing cover, either.  I usually just used a little blanket while we were latching on, and then I'd just pull my shirt down to his mouth and get rid of the blanket.  I also usually had him in the wrap if we were out, and even though I never got the hang of nursing in the wrap, all that extra fabric would kind of conceal things, too.  This time I just want to learn to nurse in the wrap.  I think that would be the easiest thing.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#9 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 05:40 AM

I nursed my son until he was (is!) three years old. I found the hooter hiders very helpful. I am the biggest breastfeeeding advocate - however, we trave quite a bit around this country as well as to other countries, and the "cpver ups) are especially helpful on the airplane, because it became a darker place he could nurse and fall asleep. About modesty: I do not believe women should have to hid themselves when nursing - but believe me, breastfeeding is Tennessee with my mother's family (very conservative) I was happy to have it when at family get togethers (do I want my Papaw to see my breasts? No thank you).

The hooter hiders have an open section on top - the baby's face is not covered. It works well against sunlight and cold, and other environmental factors. It is not just to cover up and not about shame. i love mine!

#10 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 06:09 AM

I find that I notice women more with the big covers. They're very eye-catching, especially the prints. I have no problem with anyone who wants to nurse discreetly (I do!), but I think if that's your goal, you might be better off with layered clothing and a burp cloth or something. With a cover, no one sees skin, but they're all very aware of what's going on. I would feel like everyone's staring if I used one of the big covers.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#11 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 AM

well I think if the encourage people to nurse who wouldn't otherwise, then great. They always remind me of the hasidic moms I used to see nursing when I was a teenager (the only people I actually recall seeing NIP at that time) who always covered up in a way that I found very eye-catching. I agree that they are not "discrete" but I guess they are "modest". So if the latter is an issue for a mom, then they seem like a good solution.

Personally they are not for me. Blanket works fine if I need it. However, I was delighted w/ #2 to get a "boob" brand nursing shirt which actually worked for me (my boobs are simply too big for any of the other nursing shirts I've tried, or the shirts were so extremely unflattering). I agree about the nursing in the cold, etc. And on the airplane, and places where I am really so close to other people that no matter how "discrete" I am being, they are going to be able to see what is going on. Its nice not to bare my belly. But also a tee or tank with a loose neck and a cartigan over it does the trick for me.

We'll see though! Both my other kids were born in southern california. A winter baby in NYC is going to be a different thing.

And NIP is not so common here- with or without the covers. I almost never see anyone else doing it unless, basically, they are already one of my friends. Not sure why. I still NIP with my toddler (though less often as she gets older). I've had other moms thank me b/c they feel like its still a taboo here.  I am surprised as I think of this as a city filled with strong independent women.

dissertating mom to three

#12 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Breastfeeding past a few months of age, and NIP at all, is very uncommon here.  But I agree with most of you, a light blanket can work if needed.  It doesn't sound like I'm missing out on something great.  All my babies have been so incredibly distractible by 4-5 months old, that I think it would drive them crazy not to be able to see what's going on in the room while they nursed.  That's when you realize how stretchy nipples can be - a baby nursing while pretty much looking the other way!

#13 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 AM

I am a modest NIPer. I cover usually but sometimes it's not comfortable or practical to cover so I don't. I went a long time without a nursing cover and never missed one, I used a blanket when I covered. It wasn't until I found Hooter Hiders on one of the baby discount sites when our daughter was a few months old that I actually bought one. I like it a lot! It's held up well. I have it in the diaper bag and take it everywhere...just in case. My SIL has one of the cheapie ones from another company and the difference in quality is astonishing...the Hooter Hider was definitely worth the price I got it for! 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#14 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM

I have a couple nursing covers and they have served me well. But I'm pretty modest, so it makes me more comfortable to use them, especially when I'm nursing in close quarters (like planes) or in front of my family. Mine are pretty colorful, so it is like waving a big flag saying "look, I'm breastfeeding", but that doesn't bother me at all. Considering how rarely I've seen other mamas NIP, I'm happy to be out representing.  

SAHM to DS (11/09) with a little girl coming in October stork-girl.gif familybed1.gif

#15 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 11:51 AM

I found my covers very useful for the first couple months when you have to watch a little bit and help baby latch sometimes. As soon as the baby is old enough to grab things or want to look around they are too much of a pain.

My favourite nursing accessory is a bella band. I find it's much more modest to be able to lift up my shirt and have my belly covered than to try and drape us both with a big piece of material.

partners.gif Married to an awesome dh for 5 years. energy.gifSweetpea, our honeymoon baby! (06/07), biggrinbounce.gif Little man (04/09), and rolleyes.gif our newest little guy (10/11).

#16 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 PM
~pi

NIP is common and accepted where I am. I've only ever seen a cover used here once, and that was when my sister visited from overseas.

Personally, I think that if they make you more comfortable, go for it, but I don't really like them on principle, as I think first, nursing is normal and should not be hidden and second, it's easy enough to NIP discreetly without anyone seeing anything. One of the reasons I felt comfortable trying NIP was that I had seen other women doing it very nonchalantly, so it is important to me to pay that back and provide that same example to others.

I nursed in public all the time until DS was about 15-18 months or so, in all sorts of situations. And a couple of other times when he was older, including one day when he was sick, my DH was out of town, and I was leading a work meeting that I couldn't cancel, and again when he was a cranky three year old on a packed full airplane. Nursing in front of colleagues and then nursing a 3 yo in front of a bunch of strangers pretty much defined my personal limit of comfort for NIP. Nursing a baby while just out in the world? Not a big deal at all IMHO.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#17 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 PM

With ds I nursed him for 3 years and never once used a cover. I NIP plenty, just never saw the need to cover up.

This time, dh is very supportive of nursing, but a little hesitant to NIP. I think he just needs reassurance that I'm not just going to take off my shirt and nurse a baby while everyone gawks at me. lol.gif I think once I can prove to him that I can nurse without showing anyone anything, he'll be fine with no cover. If not- I'll hand him a blanket to cover his head orngtongue.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#18 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM

I don't think I'll purchase one - I'm kinda cheap.  But I really think they any one who wants to use one should feel welcome to do so.  But no one should be forced to wear one, either.  On snarky days, I'd like to have one that's covered in pictures of tits.  So, you may not be seeing my tits, but you're not spared the sight of all tits.  Maybe reversible, then?

lifeguard and nicolian like this.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#19 of 29 Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 PM

I got a cheaper version made by a WAHM off ebay.  Personally, I found it very helpful.  I don't normally think of myself as particularly modest, but I guess I am on this front.  Agree with PP about latching at early age.  I just felt more comfortable knowing I was covered, though actually, the one I bought isn't as huge as the name brand ones seem to be, or have as loud a patttern.  But like PP said, I don't care if they know I'm breastfeeding, I just don't necessarily want my boobs out there.

#20 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 06:18 AM

For those that are money conscious keep an eye on the baby discount sites. I got my Ergo at deep discount as well as some cloth diapers and the nursing cover. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#21 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 08:01 AM

Personally I don't like to NIP, just my personal choice.  I have no problem with other women NIP.  Most of my babies did not like nursing with anything covering them-- I would do it if I had no choice but to NIP but I usually just used a blanket or a jacket.  I don't have big boobs so I can usually nurse discreetly.  But some of babies were fussy and wouldn't even let me have a shirt on while nursing.  The pictures of hooter hiders just look so silly to me!  I would prefer a blanket.

#22 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 AM

If you can sew...

http://blisstree.com/live/free-pattern-to-sew-your-own-nursing-cover/

it has the boning at the top so you can see baby :)

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#23 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 AM

thank you for making my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

I don't think I'll purchase one - I'm kinda cheap.  But I really think they any one who wants to use one should feel welcome to do so.  But no one should be forced to wear one, either.  On snarky days, I'd like to have one that's covered in pictures of tits.  So, you may not be seeing my tits, but you're not spared the sight of all tits.  Maybe reversible, then?

dissertating mom to three

#24 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM

This thread reminded me of this comic. lol!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#25 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

biglaugh.gif

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#26 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 02:42 PM

I have one. I only used it at church. We sit in the front row and even though I have absolutely no problem NIP everywhere else I kinda feel like I might be a distraction to the teenage alter boys that are like 15 feet in front of me, facing me. lol And of course the other teens in my church use the nursing room as a fun place to hang out during sermon cause its sound proof! 

treehugger.gifKayleigh is a Marine wife to Ben & SAHM to Colton 2.5yrs and Liam 1.5yrs 

After 2 beautiful boys we're having a GIRL!

Little Miss Addie

20****25**stork-girl.gif*30****35****40**

#27 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 PM

I only cover up when i'm nursing in front of my Dad. He's the only person who I feel totally weirded out by nursing in front of. (he's SUPER conservative and embarrasses quite easily...he can't handle maxi pad commercials..lol) So i cover up if i'm around him, for both our sakes.

Otherwise, i find it really annoying, and more obvious than anything. I don't even use a blanket in church. (Dad is actually the pastor, but i'm usually at the back with a baby, so he wouldn't even notice.Then again, no one in our church ever really "covers" up. They manage to be discreet without pitching a small tent;)

Normally, If I cover up at all, it's usually just while latching on, and then i get rid of the blanket. I haven't yet met a baby that doesn't fight having a blanket over it's face while eating...

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#28 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 PM

oh, I will say (forgot to mention) that i'm more nervous about people seeing my post partum stomach hanging out than my boobs. Hello nursing tank tops, I love you!!! That fixed everything-and they're really cheap at target. (16.99)

nicolian likes this.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#29 of 29 Old 03-31-2011, 05:08 PM

I made one with boning in it and did use it several times (when DS was at an age where he would pop off unpredictably, or worse, shove my shirt all the way up to my collarbone -- and he was FAST) Without boning I don't think they're much use, and a blanket just kept falling off. In cool weather, if I had a sweatshirt on, that was usually enough of a cover.

I think the idea of a cover with titties all over it is hilarious!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page