Cloth Diaper-ers, what's in your newborn stash? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-26-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our youngest daughter was 4 months (and our son was over two but still in diapers) when we started cloth diapering so I haven't CDed a newborn yet. I would like to cloth diaper Baby Valentine as shortly after birth as possible. From what I've heard and what I've been reading a lot of the one sized diapers we have won't fit a newborn well so I've started a newborn specific stash....actually I started Baby Valentine's stash shortly after the BFP (I'm a cloth diaper addict) So far I have:

-one dozen newborn prefolds from Swaddlebees (I've heard this may not fit at all or may not fit for long so I thought about returning them but decided to keep them and if they didn't fit find other uses for them); purchased new

-three dozen infant prefolds from Little-Lions; purchased new

-2 extra small Thirsties covers; purchased new

-2 size 1 Thirsties Duo Wraps; purchased new

-2 small bamboozles; purchased secondhand

-1 small Bummis cover; came free with the bamboozles

-4 GroVia newborn AIOs; purchased new

I know I'll need more covers and am debating getting more AIOs. Aside from that I want to get more wipes, I also have flannel to make more of my own, a couple more laundry bags--eyeing the Weehuggers laundry bags, and more microfleece for liners...maybe some more disposable liners too. Other than that we're pretty well prepared otherwise. 

I'd rather be OVER prepared than UNDER and I'd like stuff that fits at birth...what do you think? Anyone have any suggestions? 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#2 of 26 Old 03-26-2011, 11:39 AM

We had 2 or 3 bummis newborn covers, and basic infant prefolds, and we did laundry every second day for the first little while. DD grew into the size S bummis covers really fast, and then prety much immediately out of the newborn covers, so I'm actually glad what we had was minimal for newborns. For awhile their bums just look comically large, and I was OK with that! 

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#3 of 26 Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

How big was your baby at birth? All of mine have been under 8lbs.

#4 of 26 Old 03-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Wow, sounds like you're well on your way.  I, too, started cloth diapering when my daughter was a few months old and my son was 2.

I am planning to get about 24 prefolds, and 3 or 4 Bummis super whisper wraps.  If I need more than that, I can always add on.  I can't spend a fortune on a stash that will only fit for a few months.  Then, when the baby is old enough to fit into OS diapers, or at least sized AIOs, I will probably buy more BumGenius AIOs...loved them for my daughter. 

Of course, I hope to pick up a few cute diapers along the way, too...just for fun!

SAHM to Matias (3) and Violet (18 mo), and avid homemaker, seamstress, gardener, knitter and cook.
#5 of 26 Old 03-26-2011, 05:57 PM

We really liked Kissaluvs for holding in that lovely runny yellow newborn poop! We started cloth diapering our son a day or two after he came home...waited until the meconium stage was over first. We had 6 Kissaluvs in size 0, newborn prefolds from Green Mountain (I can't remember the brand) and 3 Thirsties XS covers (and one Bummis superbrite NB size). I had a couple of Prowrap NB size, too, but they didn't seem to fit his profile as well as the Thirsties did.

My son was over 10 lbs at birth, so he didn't last long in that Bummis cover...the Thirsties fit for a little longer. We were only able to use the Prowrap ones for a week or two.

I'm trying to figure out if we actually need to double our newborn stash for twins or just increase it some...any thoughts?

#6 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

I have stuff I forgot to mention because I didn't buy it solely for Baby Valentine but they're inactive in our stash currently. I have one AppleCheeks size 1 cover and a bunch of AppleCheeks inserts. I have a Prowrap (spelling?) or two I think, given to me when we were pregnant with our son. One of them fit our daughter barely at four months (when we started cloth diapering) and one didn't so they're different sizes. I have 20 something preemie prefolds which I bought for mama cloth but never converted, I could use them as doublers if I have to or if I happen to give birth to a preemie to cloth diaper at that time. I have half a dozen Knickernappies small superdos and various other inserts. I also have some WAHM diapers and inserts that I put away because I didn't get a good fit on my daughter, maybe we'll have better luck with Baby Valentine if she happens to be a girl, since most of them are girly. I really need to look again and do inventory but I'm waiting for warmer weather since most of this is in our attic which is over our garage. 

#7 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 07:26 AM

I sold DS's newborn covers to fund bigger sizes when he was a baby, and gave his infant prefolds to a friend (planning to buy sized prefolds for the next babe). I do have a couple dozen preemie prefolds that I bought cheap and occasionally use as doublers - those will be going to the hospital with us. As for the rest, I plan to buy:

36 newborn prefolds (we like Diaper Rite)
24 small prefolds
6-8 newborn covers (haven't decided what yet)
4-6 small covers
6-8 Thirsties Duo Diapers (Size 1) for diaper bag/other caregivers etc

For our DS we had 24 infant pf's and 4 covers, and it just wasn't quite enough to wash every other day. He was 6 lbs 10 oz at birth (at 39 weeks) and I'm expecting this one to be on the small side as well.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#8 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dear abbey View Post
I'm trying to figure out if we actually need to double our newborn stash for twins or just increase it some...any thoughts?

I'm wondering this too. I can't quite remember what we have for newborn. DS was 5 pounds and I know we had 4 preemie prowrap covers that I didn't like (they scratched his legs) We used bamboo trifold inserts from Bella Bottoms that we used as prefolds and loved but we only have 12. Definitely not enough for twins!!

I'm planning on our twins being preemie sized as well and plan to get prefolds and covers for the newborn stage but haven't narrowed it to brands yet. Which covers have you found to be softest/least likely to scratch? I seem to read a lot of preferences for Thirsties and Bummis covers.

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#9 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 12:16 PM

I sold most of my nb wool stash so I am mad at myself but I still have:

3 dz infant prefolds

1nb thirsties cover

12 small clover fitteds

I need covers but I will most likely just use sposies because I will be a little overwhelmed with 4 kids 5 and under with dh gone a lot.  I have used more sposies on #3 then my first 2 combined:( 

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#10 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I sold my nb stash too!  D'oh!

We have med and large fuzzi bunz, so will need something to get us to about five or six months, depending on the size of the babe.

We had some kissaluvs, some prefolds and bummi covers, a couple of other home-made jobbies.  I think I'll start trolling Craigslist pretty soon and start collecting.  I bought dd's doll a couple of nb kissaluvs from the consignment store, so will borrow those back too. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#11 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 04:23 PM

With DD I used orange edge prefolds and bummis wraps. I also had a few kissaluvs and another NB fitted borrowed from my sister. I can't remember the name but I have those back now for this lo.

This is my current plan: (Some new for this babe some from DD)

*2 dozen orange edge GMD prefolds

*10 tinkle taps NB fitteds (bought used for this babe)

*5 kissaluvs O's

*1 Little Boppers NB fitted (I've decided to by mediums instead of these from here on out)

*~ 8 or so of the other random fitteds (these have been pretty used and abused by lots of babies so these will be my laundry backup diapers)

Covers:

*6 NB PUL covers bummis, thirsties, prowrap, and litewrap (many of these are girly so we'll see about what we use here if we have a boy)

*2 wool sleep sack/coccons

*1 pair of wool longies

*1 interlock soaker

*1-2 knit soakers (depending on what my sister gave me, can't remember)

Once we know gender I will for sure be knitting a pair of longies and buying another pair of interlock longies and a soaker. Most of my interlock $$ will go to size smalls because the shortage of interlock is making the prices increase quite a bit

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#12 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM

I liked Thirsties the best...the material around the leg gussets is really soft and holds up well.

#13 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstandlee View Post

I'm planning on our twins being preemie sized as well and plan to get prefolds and covers for the newborn stage but haven't narrowed it to brands yet. Which covers have you found to be softest/least likely to scratch? I seem to read a lot of preferences for Thirsties and Bummis covers.

I really liked the Thirsties covers. They held up well, and the material around the leg gussets is really soft and stretchy. We didn't have any problems with scratching or red marks from them. They also didn't leak, which is a plus. :-)

#14 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 04:48 PM

I'd agree with liking thirsties the best but they are bigger then the bummis. I think they will be pretty big on preemies.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#15 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

The only thing I do not like about Thirstes duo is the dip in the middle of the waist. Because of that dip my larger fitteds peek out and it's caused leaks/wetness to seep out the top. If I make the rise bigger to accomadate the higher rised fitted it gets too baggy around the legs. I actually tried a sized 1 from Baby Valentine's stash on Kadie to see if she could wear it extended fully in the rise but get a better fit around the legs...that didn't work, too small. However, when she was a chunky baby the dip worked very well with her Buddha belly in the same covers. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dear abbey View Post

I really liked the Thirsties covers. They held up well, and the material around the leg gussets is really soft and stretchy. We didn't have any problems with scratching or red marks from them. They also didn't leak, which is a plus. :-)

#16 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Speaking of newborn stash...is it bad that I'm just over 9 weeks and already prepping the prefolds? I just can't wait...too excited. :lol: I figured if I wash and dry them once every so often over the next few months they'll be all prepped to maximum absorbency when October rolls around. Haha!

#17 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABB View Post

The only thing I do not like about Thirstes duo is the dip in the middle of the waist. Because of that dip my larger fitteds peek out and it's caused leaks/wetness to seep out the top. If I make the rise bigger to accomadate the higher rised fitted it gets too baggy around the legs. I actually tried a sized 1 from Baby Valentine's stash on Kadie to see if she could wear it extended fully in the rise but get a better fit around the legs...that didn't work, too small. However, when she was a chunky baby the dip worked very well with her Buddha belly in the same covers. 

Was this with the duos or the sized? I only used sized (XS on my NB) and never had that problem. Maybe it was just the diapers I had underneath though.

#18 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM

I posted pics of what I have so far Here. I also have some infant prefolds that I use in my OS dipes. And my DH's cousin is lending me all her diapering stuff - wool and all. :D

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#19 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

It's the thirsties duo wraps. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

Was this with the duos or the sized? I only used sized (XS on my NB) and never had that problem. Maybe it was just the diapers I had underneath though.

#20 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 08:27 PM

So far I have

2 dozen gmd orange edge prefolds

1 dozen premie prefolds (but I might use them as pp mama cloth)

2 thirsties duo wraps

I have yarn for 4ish pairs of longies and the same number of soakers and I want to get some kind of aio for dh and going out....but I haven't decided what one...

My bum genius one size diapers are pretty worn (well just the elastic is stretched out) so I'll probably need new ones so I might just forget the newborn aios.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#21 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 PM

For NB, I have about 40 prefolds, and 6 covers. If that doesn't work well, i'm going to just go with disposable for nb, as they're only that tiny for such a small amount of time-i don't want to invest a lot more for diapers that they'll only wear for a few weeks. (my first was almost 9 lbs, my second was 7.5 lbs but a month early...so I anticipate a slightly larger babe.)

My stash though is, thus far:

40 prefolds (small)

3 bummis whisper wraps (small)

3 thirsty duo wraps (small)

60 flats (27x27) -supposedly usable for many sizes

Still need to get covers for larger sizes

20 doublers. (the maxi pad shaped things)

15 motherease sandy dipes -size 10-20 lb)

4 daddy flats (never used these before, I might make more if they work well. I like the concept.)

We'll see how that goes. If I fall in love with the prefolds at the newborn stage I may get some prefolds over flats for later-or use the flats AS prefolds.

I normally wouldn't have so many, but i've found a lot on kijiji, and was given the huge bag of flats by a friend.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#22 of 26 Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 PM

I have two lil joeys - baby's first diapers.  They are ridiculously soft and tiny. 

rumparooz-lil-joey.jpg

Also, covers:

1 thirsties duo - the tree one

10 prowraps type covers

My friend is loaning me her 5 wool soakers in NB size

I haven't decided if I'm doing a service for the first weeks or buying my own prefolds. 

After newborn time, I've got about 12 pockets (rumparoos, kawaii, nubunz) and a few fitteds and several one-size covers.  I need to add a few dozen prefolds to be done with diapers for a bigger baby. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#23 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

I will not use any RaR products, horrible, horrible experiences with the quality of their products and their customer service. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

I have two lil joeys - baby's first diapers.  They are ridiculously soft and tiny. 

rumparooz-lil-joey.jpg

Also, covers:

1 thirsties duo - the tree one

10 prowraps type covers

My friend is loaning me her 5 wool soakers in NB size

I haven't decided if I'm doing a service for the first weeks or buying my own prefolds. 

After newborn time, I've got about 12 pockets (rumparoos, kawaii, nubunz) and a few fitteds and several one-size covers.  I need to add a few dozen prefolds to be done with diapers for a bigger baby. 

#24 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 AM

We rented Kissaluv Size O last time and have 2-3 thirsty wraps, a couple of bummis wraps and one pro wrap that I did not like. I am planning to rent again this time. I also have a three BumGenius Size XS AIO.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#25 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Newborn stash:

2 lil joeys

2 grovia newborn aios

4 BG xs aios

9 lapis leine obv prefolds with doublers

6 kissaluvs fitteds

6 grahambearwear obv fitteds with doublers

2 panda tushies small

2 tickety bu prefolds small

1 soothe baby obv fitted with doubler

2 guerilla fluff obv fitteds with doublers

1 bububebe obv fitted

3 imse vimse preemie covers

1 litewraps cover

1 crazywonderful (etsy) cover

2 tickety bu obv burp clothes (I use them as flats)

I am knitting wool soakers, longies, etc for the fitteds.

Then after the NBs have been outgrown, I have a few small panda tushies obt prefolds, misc obt prefolds and more iv covers in small and medium.  Then everything else is one size pockets/aio's/fitteds.

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#26 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 01:46 PM

I'm thinking I may want to try some flats this time. I have never used them before. I would like some tie dyed ones.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Tags
Sassy Cloth Diapers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page