Crafty Mamas - What Are You Making? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 183 Old 06-06-2011, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

dreamy those socks are killer!!!!!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#62 of 183 Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 AM

I am almost done with the re-upholstering of the stroller, need to attach the flaps that connect to the side bars and make the head bumpers and then Im done!

IMG_20110606_125825.jpg

This has been the most intensive project I have done, Im just a self taught sewer and pattern making is not my strong point but I think I did OK.

When this is done Im tackling the carseat.

#63 of 183 Old 06-06-2011, 11:05 AM

I think that looks great!!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#64 of 183 Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 AM

You sewer gals are so talented :).  I need to start some baby quilts this summer.

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#65 of 183 Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 PM

What would be the perfect size baby blanket? I was thinking 36x36? Any thoughts?

I got tired of sewing by hand so I'm just cutting fabric and pinning things together and setting them aside for now. I'm hoping when I go visit my dad at the end of the month, he'll let me borrow his sewing machine for a couple months. I'm working on some bibs and burp cloths right now. Pretty basic smile.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#66 of 183 Old 06-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Busted my ass on the cover today, all I have left to do is attach the hood to the back of the head piece and then sew it all up with bias tape!

IMG_20110607_182320.jpg

IMG_20110607_182328.jpg

I have never done button holes before so they are a little wonky but overall Im pretty impressed with myself, normally I have some disaster screw up part way through a project and just give up.

#67 of 183 Old 06-08-2011, 05:34 AM

Dragon WOW!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#68 of 183 Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

dragonflymom, how on EARTH did you make that???

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#69 of 183 Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks ladies smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

Amy, what pattern did you uses for that little pixie hat? I love it! I love all of it really!

Sorry I just saw this now - here's the pattern page in Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pixie-hat-in-bunny-hop

Actual pattern online: http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/baby_pixiehat.html

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#70 of 183 Old 06-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

dragonflymom, how on EARTH did you make that???

Whoops, I missed this.

I just took apart the original seat and made a pattern from that.

I made two rough drafts on muslin first to be sure I had it how I wanted it.

Its ready to all be sewn up I just have not gotten around to it.

#71 of 183 Old 06-27-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post

Thanks ladies smile.gif

Sorry I just saw this now - here's the pattern page in Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pixie-hat-in-bunny-hop

Actual pattern online: http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/baby_pixiehat.html

I love that little hat!  And it looks like something I could actually do.  If you don't mind sharing some of your expertise, do you think a plain cotton yarn would work?  I already have some of that, so that would be perfect.  Or do you think I should stick to the yarn recommended in the pattern?

I just finished a little wool wrap diaper cover and  then decided I needed some baby legwarmers to go with it.  So I watched a video and learned how to use double-pointed needles.  And now I'm totally addicted to knitting.  There just isn't enough time in a day- sigh.

I'll post pics when I'm done with the set :)

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#72 of 183 Old 06-28-2011, 04:49 AM

Amanda, if the cotton is a worsted weight like the recommended yarn, you can substitute. Just remember that cotton has no elasticity, which will make a difference in the fit of this hat because the ribbing won't "scrunch up" like acrylic or wool would. And it's a little heavier to wear than wool or acrylic. It's nice and cool though!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#73 of 183 Old 06-28-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayerich View Post

I love that little hat!  And it looks like something I could actually do.  If you don't mind sharing some of your expertise, do you think a plain cotton yarn would work?  I already have some of that, so that would be perfect.  Or do you think I should stick to the yarn recommended in the pattern?

I just finished a little wool wrap diaper cover and  then decided I needed some baby legwarmers to go with it.  So I watched a video and learned how to use double-pointed needles.  And now I'm totally addicted to knitting.  There just isn't enough time in a day- sigh.

I'll post pics when I'm done with the set :)

As mentioned in the previous post, sure you can try it with cotton! A bunch of people have done so already if you'd like to see how their hats turned out - it can be helpful to read their notes to see what they liked/disliked about using a certain yarn as well: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pixie-hat-in-bunny-hop/people?status=&group=&photoless=0&search=cotton

Have fun with it! My favourite thing about baby knits is that whatever I make will usually fit... eventually wink1.gif

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#74 of 183 Old 06-29-2011, 05:30 AM

Finished up two more projects yesterday - I can't wait to see them on baby! joy.gif

Thumper's Buzzbee
IMG_5276_medium.JPG

Mesa Milo
IMG_5274_medium.JPG
nicolian likes this.

#75 of 183 Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Super cute!!!!!  Aren't MILOs fun?  I want to do a ton this winter for DS and DD.

I just finished this set for another mama due in October :).

CIMG3516_medium2.JPG

http://images4.ravelrycache.com/uploads/mythik/66995153/CIMG3535_medium2.JPGCIMG3535_medium2.JPG

nicolian likes this.

#76 of 183 Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 AM

I LOVE the knitted goodies!!! So cute! I haven't even started on knitting and crochet yet (other than one hat...) I've been making crib sheets -I have a massive bolt of sheeting, and crib sheets are a lot more pricey than I remember! So im whipping up about 10 of those. (Maybe more, for my sister, who's expecting twins!) Maybe we'll batik them or tie dye them;)

Also made changing pad covers, reusable wet wipes, made a batch of bum butter and nipple cream, 3 wraps, and a sling. Whew.

Soon i'll be starting on some batches of nursing/breastfeeding cookies and putting them in the freezer.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#77 of 183 Old 06-29-2011, 10:48 AM

Wow, you are one busy mama!

I have some quilt fabric I need to start cutting next month for baby and toddler quilts for DD and DS.  I also bought some pretty fabric for pillowcase tops for DD next Spring (I am a hoarder and planner) to match her woolies/knits.  I really really need a craft room....yarn is in bins mostly, yarn for upcoming projects are on top of the bins, yarn in process are in the yarn bag or dining room table.  I don't know where I am going to sew...most likely the dining room table.  Ugh.

I love batik and have a few shirts I bought for DD in that style and also have some quilt fabric in batiks for one of the baby quilts :).

Can't wait to see more pics of everyone's projects.  What an inspiring thread.

#78 of 183 Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythik View Post

Super cute!!!!!  Aren't MILOs fun?  I want to do a ton this winter for DS and DD.

I just finished this set for another mama due in October :).

CIMG3516_medium2.JPG

http://images4.ravelrycache.com/uploads/mythik/66995153/CIMG3535_medium2.JPGCIMG3535_medium2.JPG

I LOVE these, especially the hat! I'm making an owlie sleep sac as well, but in white (so not as fun!).

I have two more Milos in mind, though DH's reaction to the first one was less than stellar. "Cute. But this (the cable) makes it look girly". eyesroll.gif

#79 of 183 Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrabelle View Post

I LOVE the knitted goodies!!! So cute! I haven't even started on knitting and crochet yet (other than one hat...) I've been making crib sheets -I have a massive bolt of sheeting, and crib sheets are a lot more pricey than I remember! So im whipping up about 10 of those. (Maybe more, for my sister, who's expecting twins!) Maybe we'll batik them or tie dye them;)

Also made changing pad covers, reusable wet wipes, made a batch of bum butter and nipple cream, 3 wraps, and a sling. Whew.

Soon i'll be starting on some batches of nursing/breastfeeding cookies and putting them in the freezer.

This all sounds so great. I wish I had more time to sew! Knitting I take everywhere with me, and I even knit on my lunch break at work - sewing requires much more time and concentration on my part. I have ordered some lovely flannel for a special blanket though smile.gif

#80 of 183 Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Oh I love white on newbies!  I want to do one undyed longies with cables of some sort....

#81 of 183 Old 06-29-2011, 05:35 PM

Amy and Iris, thanks for the advice on the yarn!

All of the handknits are soooo cute.  I'm really just a beginner, but I think it's something I can be good at eventually if I put the time into it.  It's so inspiring to see so many amazing projects!

#82 of 183 Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 PM

Hey crafty mamas.  I've been following this thread while suppressing my own craftiness, but finally this weekend I started making diaper inserts/soakers and fitted diapers.  I've ordered some nice fabric, but right now I'm just making them out of old t-shirts and old towels and a flannel sheet my mom wanted to get rid of.  I've made two dipes so far and my technique is... getting better.  They're far too ugly to post pics, however.  Anyone else making diapers?

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#83 of 183 Old 07-04-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yellowdart - I'm sure they're lovely & soft from the old material. They'll be pooped on - it doesn't matter if they're perfect!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#84 of 183 Old 07-05-2011, 06:02 AM

Yellowdart-  I've been planning to make some diapers, but I just can't seem to motivate myself to sew.  But when I get around to it, I'm planning on making them out of some old flannel recieving blankets, t-shirts, and some old prefolds I have. I'm not expecting mine to be very lovely, either :)

#85 of 183 Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 AM

they certainly don't have to be pretty...we bought a $20 sewing machine and dh made our first baby our first cloth diaper (flat) from a thrifted flannel sheet

dadmakingKiansfirstdiaper.jpg

we made a fitted from the same sheet and tons of pockets from another sheet and some thrifted fleece

th_insidefitted.jpg

th_pocketfastened.jpg

the velcro was a pita!!!! the male end kept tangling the thread!

#86 of 183 Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM

I've never sewn diapers and give you mamas a lot of credit!

Here are some newborn longies in lovely handspun!

CIMG3565_medium2.JPG

nicolian likes this.

#87 of 183 Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 AM

Nice dipes, Saoirse!  Thanks for the reassurance, everyone.  Mine so far are this ugly shade of salmony orange that was sorta tolerable at first but now I'm just completely sick of.  I've made five inserts and two diapers from the stuff (one dipe covered in purple t-shirt though, just lined with flannel), and there's plenty left.  They are all really nice and soft though, and my sewing technique is improving a lot.  I'll post pix when I'm home, maybe.  smile.gif  It does feel great to make things.  I've bought a handful of diapers as well, all either used or new on clearance, but now I have visions of cleaning out all the used cottons at Goodwill (maybe they still have a couple of those all-cotton sweatshirts I gave them last year?) and making amazing diapers and then starting my own wildly successful WAHM line and getting $35 per dipe and all that.  Oh, also, once I'm through the orange sheet I have a pretty pink one to cut into.  I wanted to use the orange up first so those could be my practice diapers. 

Do you guys make your own patterns or is there a downloadable pattern you like?  Mine are basically copied/traced from an Organic Caboose newborn fitted I got on sale, but with way longer wings.  The first one I made ended up being way too big and overstuffed - it might fit a real big baby or a toddler - the but second one is a pretty respectable small. 

PS - mythik, your stuff is amazing.  I've tried knitting and never got past the first few inches of a scarf.  I can't imagine knitting anything that is actually evenly spaced and looks like a garment. 

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#88 of 183 Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythik View Post

I've never sewn diapers and give you mamas a lot of credit!

Here are some newborn longies in lovely handspun!

CIMG3565_medium2.JPG

Love these. I keep wanting to make some longies, but I REALLY dislike making sleeves on sweaters, I think the legs would drive me batty.

Also, will you be lanolizing these and using them as diaper covers, or will they simply be worn as pants over an already covered diaper?

#89 of 183 Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 AM

LOL, thanks ladies :).

They will be worn over fitteds and aio's so it depends on what's clean.  I do lightly lanolize all the longies as we primarily use them as diaper covers.  DS wears his to daycare (both shorties and longies) and no issues.  He does wear pockets/aio's there but if there is any leaking the wool catches it still so I prefer his wool to his regular shorts/pants :).

I'll be home the first few months then DD will be in DC and DS starts preschool so they will wear wool 100% of the time while I'm home this Fall and then also part-time at DC.  DS will wear wool when he feels like it as we kinda sorta started PLing which he is against.  DD will be in wool 100% of the time for the first year pretty much so I'm mostly knitting her longies and tops.

DS will have about 4 longies this fall and I plan on more sweaters/hats/mittens than anything else for him.  I'm also debating on elastic waistbands since we are going to really work on PLing while I'm home....hmmm...decisions decisions :).

Love everything ladies and thanks again!

#90 of 183 Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

Nice dipes, Saoirse!  Thanks for the reassurance, everyone.  Mine so far are this ugly shade of salmony orange that was sorta tolerable at first but now I'm just completely sick of.  I've made five inserts and two diapers from the stuff (one dipe covered in purple t-shirt though, just lined with flannel), and there's plenty left.  They are all really nice and soft though, and my sewing technique is improving a lot.  I'll post pix when I'm home, maybe.  smile.gif  It does feel great to make things.  I've bought a handful of diapers as well, all either used or new on clearance, but now I have visions of cleaning out all the used cottons at Goodwill (maybe they still have a couple of those all-cotton sweatshirts I gave them last year?) and making amazing diapers and then starting my own wildly successful WAHM line and getting $35 per dipe and all that.  Oh, also, once I'm through the orange sheet I have a pretty pink one to cut into.  I wanted to use the orange up first so those could be my practice diapers. 

Do you guys make your own patterns or is there a downloadable pattern you like?  Mine are basically copied/traced from an Organic Caboose newborn fitted I got on sale, but with way longer wings.  The first one I made ended up being way too big and overstuffed - it might fit a real big baby or a toddler - the but second one is a pretty respectable small. 

PS - mythik, your stuff is amazing.  I've tried knitting and never got past the first few inches of a scarf.  I can't imagine knitting anything that is actually evenly spaced and looks like a garment. 

this is a pocket i like -made for dd printed at 85%

http://handmadebyrita.blogspot.com/2007/10/classic-rrp-ritas-rump-pocket-pattern.html

this is my rrp from a pillowcase...

crop rrp.jpg

this is a good newborn one:

I made this for dd from my aunts old stretchy terry moo moo...lol

http://www.darlingdiapers.com/Darling%20Diapers%20Free%20Newborn%20Fitted%20Pattern2009.pdf

the onese I made for ds were

for the fitted: october pattern

for the pockets: wee wikka

for covers we use felted sweaters

this was my first:

http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column2.html

I like these longies but I put in a crotch gusset from another tutorial

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/2008/09/longies-pattern.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page