Crafty Mamas - What Are You Making? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 183 Old 08-17-2011, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're almost finished with our co-sleeper!  Here are 2 pictures.  We added an adjustable shelf so that the mattress will be level with the bed.  We also have the ability to lower the mattress so that when the baby can stand, they still won't be able to climb out the sides (the bed is another story).  We still have to add the wood finish (beeswax) and make the mattress though.  Pardon the clean laundry on the bed. 

cosleeper1.jpgcosleeper2.jpg

In other projects, I'm also almost finished with a little cardigan.  I just need to knitthe final border, add button holes, and seam up the sides. 

Last night I attempted to start a sleep sack (inspired by all you talented ladies, btw).  I am very much a novice knitter.  I had this leftover cotton yarn, and a variety of circular needles.  No, I didn't bother to measure the gage.  I figure I'd just wing it, so I cast on 60 stitches w/ size 13 needles, and the knit seems to be waaaay to loose.  So I started over and did 50 stiches on size 9 needles.  Size looks to be a bit better, but then I realized my 29" circulars were too long, and I couldn't actually knit in the round.  I could have just knit in rows, but instead, I attempted a very risky "needle surgery," and unfortunately, we had a fatality.  I pulled the plastic off of the bamboo needles, and cut the plastic to shorten it.  Then, when I couldn't stuff it back on the end of the needle, I kept pulling at the plastic at the end of the needle (where it attaches) and ended up breaking it.  I've never been an extremely patient person, but I can't believe I just broke the needles.  I also did all of this while watching Harry Potter with DH (Half-Blood Prince- I'm determined to see the final one in the movie theater before the baby comes), so I was too engrossed to actually get up and look for the right tools for my little surgery.

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#122 of 183 Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythik View Post

I feel like I'm falling behind with what I want to knit for LO....right now I need to work on two cardigans for DS but still want to knit these up next month for itty

2 newbie coming home outfits
3 vests
3 longies (pants)
3 sleepsacks....

FX I can get at least 1/2 of it done.....:)

I had so many items that I wanted to get done for this baby, but honestly I'm so tired and distractable when I have time to sit down, I just can't get into it anymore! Instead of forcing it, I just gave myself permission to put the needles down. I took up knitting as a calming and enjoyable passtime - if it becomes stressful, then I just let it go for a while and enjoy what I have managed to complete. I figure I have plenty of knitting years ahead of me, there's no rush - and honestly, it sometimes feels almost wasteful to put so much yarn into newborn things when he's going to outgrow them so quickly (and this will be our last babe).

Love the co-sleeper Amy May! We'll be sidecarring our crib, but your solution is so much cuter smile.gif

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#123 of 183 Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM

OH I feel the same but at the same time, I love to improve/practice my knitting skills so it's been a great excuse to get in tons of practice.  I plan on selling off most everything except for one or two items so I hope to recoup some of the costs at least for yarn.  I was freaking out about all the newborn knitting and yarn use for such a short time but figure I prefer to knit than let it sit :).  I'm not overly stressed about it, just kinda bummed if I don't do a few items I really want to get to...but I'll try to work on that next month :).

Thx for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post

I had so many items that I wanted to get done for this baby, but honestly I'm so tired and distractable when I have time to sit down, I just can't get into it anymore! Instead of forcing it, I just gave myself permission to put the needles down. I took up knitting as a calming and enjoyable passtime - if it becomes stressful, then I just let it go for a while and enjoy what I have managed to complete. I figure I have plenty of knitting years ahead of me, there's no rush - and honestly, it sometimes feels almost wasteful to put so much yarn into newborn things when he's going to outgrow them so quickly (and this will be our last babe).

Love the co-sleeper Amy May! We'll be sidecarring our crib, but your solution is so much cuter smile.gif

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#124 of 183 Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Amy May - your co-sleeper is great.

I've been pretty unmotivated with my crochetting/knitting this time around. We just have SO much going on around here that when I sit down I don't often feel like doing much. I have enlisted my mil to knit some longies & soakers for me. She's a MUCH faster knitter than me & I had such bad luck with these items last time around I'm nervous to even try again!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#125 of 183 Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy May View Post

Last night I attempted to start a sleep sack (inspired by all you talented ladies, btw).  I am very much a novice knitter.  I had this leftover cotton yarn, and a variety of circular needles.  No, I didn't bother to measure the gage.  I figure I'd just wing it, so I cast on 60 stitches w/ size 13 needles, and the knit seems to be waaaay to loose.  So I started over and did 50 stiches on size 9 needles.  Size looks to be a bit better, but then I realized my 29" circulars were too long, and I couldn't actually knit in the round.  I could have just knit in rows, but instead, I attempted a very risky "needle surgery," and unfortunately, we had a fatality.  I pulled the plastic off of the bamboo needles, and cut the plastic to shorten it.  Then, when I couldn't stuff it back on the end of the needle, I kept pulling at the plastic at the end of the needle (where it attaches) and ended up breaking it.  I've never been an extremely patient person, but I can't believe I just broke the needles.  I also did all of this while watching Harry Potter with DH (Half-Blood Prince- I'm determined to see the final one in the movie theater before the baby comes), so I was too engrossed to actually get up and look for the right tools for my little surgery.

Amy--next time you find your circulars are too long, you should look up the Magic Loop technique. It's designed to make a long circular needle work for any size knitting in the round. It's what I used for my cocoon and it works out great once you get the hang of it. It took me about a half hour to fully understand and accomplish it (I'm a beginner) but it has made my life so much easier! Honestly... I can't knit in the round on double-pointed needles to save my life.

I just finished two pairs of baby mitts made from two different leftover sock wool balls my mom had. I made up a simple pattern with a ribbed cuff and stockinette body, and they came out adorable. I still have some yarn left so I might try some simple booties. I'm really, really cheap. So far all I've actually bought is one skein of yarn and a circular US13 needle for the second cocoon I made. Everything else, needles and yarn, came from my own stockpile and my mom's. She never has time to knit anymore so she said I was welcome to anything I wanted. It's amazing what some little dribs and drabs of yarn can become. I'm having so much fun learning how to do all this new stuff.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#126 of 183 Old 08-18-2011, 07:33 AM

What a wonderful co-sleeper!!

I agree with magic looping ;), love doing that for certain projects.

#127 of 183 Old 08-18-2011, 02:12 PM

I'm almost at the end of my knitting....lots of hats, tiny mitts, a little snowsuit, etc.  All on ravelry (UN Katico)  I have also knit several baby sweaters for expecting friends and made some additions to DD's knit play food for part of her Xmas gift

Sewing - I have been working on DD's fall wardrobe, making her dresses and smocks.  Now it's time to sew for baby!  I am making some blankets and matching burp cloths.  I also recovered her moses basket pillow, I'll have to take some pictures of those too

Eeeek, I  think these pictures are going to come up rather large...here are the hat and sweater this little girl will probably wear home from the hospital!  

DSC_1055.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

And a couple more things for her first few wintery months:

DSC_0971.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

nicolian and puente like this.

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#128 of 183 Old 08-19-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

katico - those are lovely.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#129 of 183 Old 08-19-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

I'm almost at the end of my knitting....lots of hats, tiny mitts, a little snowsuit, etc.  All on ravelry (UN Katico)  I have also knit several baby sweaters for expecting friends and made some additions to DD's knit play food for part of her Xmas gift

Sewing - I have been working on DD's fall wardrobe, making her dresses and smocks.  Now it's time to sew for baby!  I am making some blankets and matching burp cloths.  I also recovered her moses basket pillow, I'll have to take some pictures of those too

Eeeek, I  think these pictures are going to come up rather large...here are the hat and sweater this little girl will probably wear home from the hospital!  

DSC_1055.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

And a couple more things for her first few wintery months:

DSC_0971.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

Oh these are all so gorgeous! I especially love the first little hat smile.gif

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#130 of 183 Old 08-19-2011, 10:06 AM

I've only got longies and hats. There are so many more things I want to get done before the baby gets here!

6059082339_54956bbe66_z.jpg

6059082837_a0c960b061_z.jpg

6059084149_3e2437cc9b_z.jpg

6059628266_804052a9f1_z.jpg

6059628742_a5f8ae06ae_z.jpg

6059629080_f7c86967f8_z.jpg

6059629490_4f397f1834_z.jpg

6059630762_36f1a2f37d_z.jpg

6059631202_7b6c3441cf_z.jpg

#131 of 183 Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM

Too cute everyone! Can't wait to see pics of our babies wearing all these awesome creations!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#132 of 183 Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonahsmom View Post

I've only got longies and hats. There are so many more things I want to get done before the baby gets here!

Those longies look awesome! May I ask what pattern you used? 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#133 of 183 Old 08-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Wow- such beautiful stuff, everyone!

Love the cosleeper, Amy May- just beautiful.  How are you making your mattress? I made one for our Arms Reach for DS (just didn't like the mattress that came with it, and the organic option was too expensive) and it held up pretty well, but I'm not sure if it will make it through this next baby or not.  I may wind up having to take it apart and add more/different padding.

Katico- that little beige sleeper is so adorable! 

And Shonahsmom and Katico-  I love the little bonnet  hats with ties- too cute!

Sigh.... I wish I could get more inspired.  Everytime I look at these pictures on this thread, I decide that I'll knit as soon as DS goes to bed, but it keeps not happening.  Someone kick me in the butt, please!!!

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#134 of 183 Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 PM

OM, EVERYTHING is sweet and gorgeous!!!  I'm working on a cardigan for my son and another sweater for the itty...then on to sleepgowns, hats, booties and a coming home outfit :). 

Thx for sharing ladies!

#135 of 183 Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonahsmom View Post

6059084149_3e2437cc9b_z.jpg

Ohh, this is the hat that you knit from tie to tie, right?  I made one of these as well to match the little snowsuit - I'm curious to see how it actually fits a little head!  Yours looks like it will be better fitting than mine - I may have read the shaping instructions with my pregnancy brain lol.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#136 of 183 Old 08-22-2011, 07:57 AM

Okay ladies- to all of you who suggested the Magic Loop, THANK YOU SO MUCH!  That was so easy!

This weekend we finished our co-sleeper, as well as the mattress.  The only thing left to do is make the bedding.

Yesterday we sanded and then finished with beeswax polish, and it looks so beautiful- I think the wood is pine, and it looks really natural and pretty!

The mattress-  we ordered 3 100% wool Swiss military blankets online and then washed them in hot water to felt them as much as possible.  They shrunk a few inches, but it was already pretty felted.  The floor of the co-sleeper is 20 x 30 ", so I cut 6 rectangles of the blanket.  Four of them I layered into the mattress.  I hand-sewed them with yarn and a big plastic needle.  It is fairly stiff, and at least an inch thick.  We went with the wool because it is naturally fire resistant, and absorbs moisture. 

With the remaining two wool pannels, I'm going to lanolize them this week (hopefully) to make them both waterproof, and then sew elastic onto the corners to use them as washable mattress pads (I'll make two of them).  I'll do the same thing to make sheets- just a simple rectangle with elastic that hooks onto the corner of the mattress.  I might also make a special mattress case (like a pillow case) for the entire mattress so we don't have to think about pilling at all. 

It was really fun to make.  Here is a picture of the finished product in our kitchen.  The mattress height is adjustable so we can lower it as the baby grows. 

finished co-sleeper.jpg

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#137 of 183 Old 08-27-2011, 07:42 PM

Beautiful!

#138 of 183 Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 AM

Amy, lovely cosleeper!

Here are two little things I wipped up this past weekend.

Girls top

CIMG4009_medium2.JPG

Scrappy textured newbie hat
CIMG4018_medium2.JPG

nicolian likes this.

#139 of 183 Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 AM

I have to share what I just made for DD's big sister present!  Eeeee, so much fun!!

I made her some gear for her dollies:  a diaper bag/wipes/.changepad/burp cloth/bib, some diapers and a little dolls sling!!

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

And the best part is that they were all stash/scrap busters, I didn't have to buy a thing!

nicolian likes this.

#140 of 183 Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM

I don't know why I did this (since we co sleep for quite a while..) but I just made up a bunch of crib sheets. They turned out well too! So, when this kid will have some fun sheets to nap on.haha
Also made up a massive pile of reusable wet wipes. (Hint-if any of you live near Ikea, they have a simple tea towel that makes a really good wet wipe...you get 6 out of one tea towel and they only cost 59 cents for one towel!) I just cut them up and zig zag the edges.
Also made a ring sling, crocheted some soakers, sewed some baby blankets....I need to stop with the making now and get on with the painting, organizing and cleaning. When that's done, i'll return to the crafty department;)

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#141 of 183 Old 09-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Here are a couple little projects finished. A ring sling (ordered the rings online and made it out of linen) and a pair of crocheted soakers. Also, a pink baby blanket i'm working on. 

DSCF2778.jpg

DSCF2780.jpg

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#142 of 183 Old 09-17-2011, 05:23 PM

I've knitted so much for him now that I can't find a chance to get pictures of it all. Quite a few little hats, including a pumpkin hat for the Halloween season. I've finished 3 sweaters now (one still needs buttons). One I already posted here. One is a crossover & tie deal that should fit when he's super little. I also did a striped top-down raglan cardigan.

Right now I'm working on two projects, both of which are gonna take me a while. I started knitting an afghan for him (I know, I know, it's so much easier to crochet an afghan, but I don't crochet). It needs to be a total of 44 inches long. It's about 15 right now. A pattern repetition is about two inches long... and I'm only getting one repetition a night done!

I also started on papier mache letters for his wall. The first one is done and turned out AMAZING. The other two... well, they're gonna take a while. I'll put up pictures of the blanket and the letters when I finally finish them. The blanket might take till all our babies have been born!

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#143 of 183 Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 AM

I made a blanket!  I love it.  It's satin brocade on one side and fleece on the other, with a thin layer of batting, and it is fully endorsed by my dog.

b1.jpg

b2.jpgb3.jpg

ETA:  This was about two evenings' worth of sewing, which is about the right size project for me.  You knitting mamas kinda blow my mind. 

nicolian likes this.

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#144 of 183 Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Wow! It's beautiful. Your dog reminds me of our cat. Everything that belongs to baby, she claims. His stroller has become her throne, his crib her bed, bins of clothes her couch. She sleeps on the blanket I'm knitting him (still on the needles) and investigates every new piece of baby stuff that comes into our room. I'm a little worried about how she'll do with the actual baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

I made a blanket!  I love it.  It's satin brocade on one side and fleece on the other, with a thin layer of batting, and it is fully endorsed by my dog.

b1.jpg

b2.jpgb3.jpg

ETA:  This was about two evenings' worth of sewing, which is about the right size project for me.  You knitting mamas kinda blow my mind. 

thinks is crazy!

#145 of 183 Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinket90 View Post

Wow! It's beautiful. Your dog reminds me of our cat. Everything that belongs to baby, she claims. His stroller has become her throne, his crib her bed, bins of clothes her couch. She sleeps on the blanket I'm knitting him (still on the needles) and investigates every new piece of baby stuff that comes into our room. I'm a little worried about how she'll do with the actual baby!

Thanks!  If anything, you'll end up with lots of cute cat+baby pictures... my dog is a connoisseur of comfortable things (she's taken over my body pillow too now that I stopped using it).  She also is clearly confused when DH talks to my belly in the same voice he uses to talk to her.  It'll be fun to see how she reacts to the baby.  I'm hoping for the best, but there may also be a little jealousy.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#146 of 183 Old 09-21-2011, 01:40 PM

Love it all!  That blanket is so pretty.

#147 of 183 Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Help me to choose a welcome home outfit! I made three dresses, but don't know which to choose! I'm leaning toward the first because it is more complete (sweater) but if I added a sweater to the others, I'd probably be able to imagine better.

outfit 1.jpg

outfit 2.jpg

outfit 3.jpg

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#148 of 183 Old 09-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Everyone's stuff is incredible.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#149 of 183 Old 09-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Those are all too sweet, Rosemary! I pick the 1st outfit though. It looks so cozy and snuggly!

#150 of 183 Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 PM

Rosemary: I say #1! Beautiful sewing mama!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page