Books about welcoming baby #2? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!  I've been browsing for books about welcoming baby #2 into the family... based on Amazon reviews they nearly all sound really negative and not worth my time or money. 

I did read Beyond One: Growing a Family and Getting a Life by Jennifer Bingham Hull and enjoyed it very much.  It was a bit fluffy, but did have some solid examples and anecdotes and of course it was one personal experience, not a manual or a guide like many of the other books on the topic are trying to be.  

Anyone else have some good resources - books or blogs - that are worth reading on this topic?  Thanks!

Mama to Gabriel (1-10-2009) and newborn Helena (10-9-2011) h20homebirth.gif with DP Julio.  ...cloth diapering, attachment parenting, infant EC-ing, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Are you looking for books for you or for your older child?

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 PM

I don't know if someone mentioned it yet, but the ORIGINAL Berenstain Bears New Baby (where Sister Bear is born) is GREAT. 

It's so natural...and father just starts making this beautiful cradle from wood and brother is just experiencing all these little changes as momma gets bigger.  Then one day, he comes home and Momma is holding a little girl baby bear.  It even implied HOME BIRTH! :) 

I have to dig up my old copy to start reading to my DS now :)

http://www.amazon.com/Berenstain-Bears-New-Baby/dp/0394829085/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301337274&sr=1-1-spell

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
Old 03-28-2011, 01:29 PM
~pi

For you, I loved Waiting for Birdy by Catherine Newman. It's a personal memoir, and alternately beautifully and hilariously written. I am planning to get it out of the library again now that I am actually getting ready for #2.

The Franklin/Benjamin books are a big hit in our house, and Franklin's Baby Sister is pretty good. Franklin's mom is in the hospital for the birth, but it's all a very gentle story.

I've also heard good things about the Sears' two books for older siblings, and am planning to get them out of the library soon to check them out.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Agree about Waiting for Birdy.

I just ordered 3 books for DS (who will be 3 when babe arrives) from Amazon.  One was one of the Sears books, but the one about after baby arrives...I think it was called What Baby Needs.  Also The New Baby At Your House by Joanna Cole, which has photos and covers some of the emotional issues.  And Waiting for Baby (My New Baby) which is a board book.  I've skimmed through them...haven't showed them to DS yet...and they look good.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeter_shima View Post

I don't know if someone mentioned it yet, but the ORIGINAL Berenstain Bears New Baby (where Sister Bear is born) is GREAT. 

It's so natural...and father just starts making this beautiful cradle from wood and brother is just experiencing all these little changes as momma gets bigger.  Then one day, he comes home and Momma is holding a little girl baby bear.  It even implied HOME BIRTH! :) 

I have to dig up my old copy to start reading to my DS now :)

http://www.amazon.com/Berenstain-Bears-New-Baby/dp/0394829085/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301337274&sr=1-1-spell

I just got this one for ds, but haven't given it to him yet. thumb.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

Are you looking for books for you or for your older child?

Sorry I never answered your question... I initially asked about books for me as a mama, but I also am looking for good books to help explain to my little one what he can expect when the new baby gets here, so I am excited about this variety of answers.  I will have to look for Waiting for Birdy. 

Mama to Gabriel (1-10-2009) and newborn Helena (10-9-2011) h20homebirth.gif with DP Julio.  ...cloth diapering, attachment parenting, infant EC-ing, etc.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:36 PM
~pi

More on books for children, I just got a copy of On Mother's Lap and it's just lovely. Highly recommend. I am looking forward to reading this with DS.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 AM

I loved Jenni Overend's book which is out of print and has two different titles- "welcome with love" or "hello baby" depending on the country in which it was published. We have a request in to get our copy back from the friend we loaned it to. It depicts a homebirth of baby #4. Lovely illustrations (same illustrator as "I went walking", if you are familiar with that book) and it is accurate yet gentle. My older son loved this book when we were getting ready for his sister's birth, as well as in the weeks afterwards. I hope its meaningful for my daughter- she is a lot younger than he was.

I am excited to check out the Sears books and other suggestions.

As for me... I want t re-read some books I already have... "Becoming the Parent You Want To Be" on siblings, as well as "siblings without rivalry" (which really focuses on older kids, not so much on adjusting to a new sibling). Things went fairly well for #1 when his sister was born- but he was 4 1/2. I think 2 1/2 is going to be a much harder age to adjust to such a big change.

dissertating mom to three

Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

As for me... I want t re-read some books I already have... "Becoming the Parent You Want To Be" on siblings

Oh, I forgot they had a section on siblings! I will be pulling that one out again. Best parenting book I've read, by far.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:21 AM

resurrecting this thread b/c a friend just recommended two books for a very young sibling-to-be and I thought I'd share (her first was 17mo when her second was born):

My New Baby:
http://www.amazon.com/My-New-Baby-Rachel-Fuller/dp/1846432766/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307809339&sr=8-2

Mama, What's in There?:
http://www.amazon.com/Mama-Whats-There-Diane-Muldrow/dp/0375875107/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_bb?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307809381&sr=1-1

I will be looking for these. We got back our "Hello Baby" book and have read it a few times. It continues to speak to my older child (DS 6.5) more than the younger (DD 25m). DD is fascinated by a picture of the baby with umbilical cord... "baby have a tail"... "whats that?"... etc. DS still uses this book to help him process his sister's arrival (which is old new by now obviously) and think about the new baby coming.

dissertating mom to three

Old 06-13-2011, 01:33 PM

I loved Waiting for Birdy, thanks for the suggestion pi!

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 PM
~pi

My pleasure. Isn't she fantastic? She used to write a weekly column that I just loved. If you ever want to kill, oh, dozens or hundreds of hours, all 208 weekly columns are archived online.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:55 PM

Catherine Newman still blogs here: http://www.benandbirdy.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

My pleasure. Isn't she fantastic? She used to write a weekly column that I just loved. If you ever want to kill, oh, dozens or hundreds of hours, all 208 weekly columns are archived online.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

User Tag List