Food: Weston A. Price? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone else follow the Weston A. Price, food guidelines? Traditional foods, Raw dairy, nutrient-dense versions of animal and plant foods, with particular emphasis on healthy traditional fats like butter, lard, egg yolks and coconut oil.

http://www.westonaprice.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-29-2011, 11:04 AM

I do!  I'm still learning, and I've slacked off a lot lately because I've been feeling so poorly.

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#3 of 8 Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM

you should stop by and add yourself to our ddc roster:)

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1295140/october-2011-roster

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#4 of 8 Old 03-29-2011, 01:48 PM

I don't do WAPF (Weston A. Price Foundation - another acronym for you wink1.gif ) religiously, but I definitely lean that way. I was eating lots of liver and taking FCLO (fermented cod liver oil) before I got pregnant and could no longer stand either. We eat lots of eggs, take more than the RDA of vitamin D, drink raw milk when we can, yes butter, yes animal fats, etc. I tried to eat more of the Pregnancy Diet but once nausea hit all bets were off and I ate crap for 6 weeks. Feeling better now though and will probably go back to more of this.

PS. As roster-maintainer, I second Saoirse's recommendation. thumb.gif
#5 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capretta View Post

I don't do WAPF (Weston A. Price Foundation - another acronym for you wink1.gif ) religiously, but I definitely lean that way. I was eating lots of liver and taking FCLO (fermented cod liver oil) before I got pregnant and could no longer stand either. We eat lots of eggs, take more than the RDA of vitamin D, drink raw milk when we can, yes butter, yes animal fats, etc. I tried to eat more of the Pregnancy Diet but once nausea hit all bets were off and I ate crap for 6 weeks. Feeling better now though and will probably go back to more of this.

PS. As roster-maintainer, I second Saoirse's recommendation. thumb.gif

Me too! I'm lucky enough to live on a farm with hunters so we raise and hunt most of our meats....we will have goats milk later this spring and we have more eggs than we know what to do with.....but I'm far from religious about it...just strong leanings...smile.gif

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#6 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 AM

Jenny: I wish I had such ready access to good food. I grew up with a rather large organic garden and a freezer always stocked with game meat, but lost that many years ago when I moved out of my parents' home. Now I have fantasies of getting some chickens (and then a couple goats), but so far I only have DH approval for gardening and canning. wink1.gif
#7 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM

I've been reading a lot about this lately. I would say I have leanings as well! We eat venison (DH hunts) and organic pork (from my sisters farm) and fresh seafood. We have laying chickens as well so I eat fresh eggs several times a week. I get organic produce from a CSA type thing (Full Circle Farm for other Alaskans and PNW folks). We don't have access to raw milk though I really wish we did. I just buy organic milk from the store... not ideal but better then nothing. I've never done low fat stuff and eat butter and such.  I'm trying to add coconut oil daily.  I don't know if I can embrace eating liver though! LOL! I just ordered a book from the library on lacto-fermentation. I really want to do vegies!

Anyone know much about taking fermented cod liver oil/butter oil while pregnant? I'd like to start taking this but I'm not sure dose for pregnancy and if its better to do the combo or just the FCLO. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#8 of 8 Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 AM

I just started dabbling in some of these practices. Just got my first gallon of raw milk and I am working my way up to it, lots of eggs, etc... We are trying to figure out the meat part for this spring/summer. If my Dad will just move back to the area we'll have plenty of game meat smile.gif

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page