Due mid-October, introducing myself - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm Kathleen, and my fiance and I found out we were pregnant six weeks ago. I've spent the time since then being cautiously optimistic (I've had pregnancy loss before), and trying to believe this is really happening. I have two other children from a previous marriage, the younger one eight years old. I never believed I would have another child.

We're both really happy to be doing this, though, even if it is super fast and surreal (I've only been with Michael for six months -- we got engaged after just three months together). We have our first appointment with a birth center midwife on Monday, and we're both dying to hear the heartbeat. 

I've been a moderate natural-style parent since my boys were born, and we're trying some more crunchy things this time around (like cloth diapering, and I still have no idea of how that works). Michael will be leaving his job to stay home with the baby, because I have a good job that I enjoy (and I honestly got my fill of being the stay-at-home caregiver when my boys were babies). 

So, for the time being, I'm walking around feeling MUCH bigger than I "should" be (I have an obviously pregnant shape already, just past 11 weeks), battling fatigue, and getting past the worst of the nausea. My head is spinning with changing our lives to accommodate a little baby (I kept none of my baby stuffs), and I feel enormous pressure to perform at work as if I'm not distracted and exhausted all of the time. At the same time I'm raising my two boys, planning our wedding (potluck in June!), and trying hard to make this blending and change as peaceful as possible.

Most of my friends are young and without children, so I'm hoping to find some more commonality and support here. I look forward to getting to know you all better!

~ Kathleen ~

Mom to Jonathan (8) and Josiah (10)

Due with number 3 in October

#2 of 7 Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroptimist View Post

I'm Kathleen, and my fiance and I found out we were pregnant six weeks ago. I've spent the time since then being cautiously optimistic (I've had pregnancy loss before), and trying to believe this is really happening. I have two other children from a previous marriage, the younger one eight years old. I never believed I would have another child.

We're both really happy to be doing this, though, even if it is super fast and surreal (I've only been with Michael for six months -- we got engaged after just three months together). We have our first appointment with a birth center midwife on Monday, and we're both dying to hear the heartbeat. 

I've been a moderate natural-style parent since my boys were born, and we're trying some more crunchy things this time around (like cloth diapering, and I still have no idea of how that works). Michael will be leaving his job to stay home with the baby, because I have a good job that I enjoy (and I honestly got my fill of being the stay-at-home caregiver when my boys were babies). 

So, for the time being, I'm walking around feeling MUCH bigger than I "should" be (I have an obviously pregnant shape already, just past 11 weeks), battling fatigue, and getting past the worst of the nausea. My head is spinning with changing our lives to accommodate a little baby (I kept none of my baby stuffs), and I feel enormous pressure to perform at work as if I'm not distracted and exhausted all of the time. At the same time I'm raising my two boys, planning our wedding (potluck in June!), and trying hard to make this blending and change as peaceful as possible.

Most of my friends are young and without children, so I'm hoping to find some more commonality and support here. I look forward to getting to know you all better!

~ Kathleen ~

Mom to Jonathan (8) and Josiah (10)

Due with number 3 in October

Welcome Kathleen,
Our stories are kinda similar. I have 3 sons 12,10, and almost 8. I'm also semi-crunchy...homeschooling etc. I met my fiancé online last October. We got pregnant in January, moved in march, engaged last weekend.....it's been a whirlwind of changes. He's never had kids and now has 3 steps and his own showing up soon. We decided to to some transition counseling as kind of a pre-emptive strike against issues to do with all the changes in our lives and step-parenting in particular....we're also being really cautious about each others needs and emotions.....we are both fairly laid back...thank goodness.....
What a wonderful unexpected journey....I wish you every blessing! Jenny

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#3 of 7 Old 03-31-2011, 04:43 AM

Welcome!

I am Jamie. We live in New York state and have four children ages (almost) 14, 9, 4, and 2. We're due with Baby Valentine 10/28. The oldest two are from a previous relationship so I understand the blending of the families. We're also recently engaged, though we've been together 7 1/2 years. We actually got engaged on Valentine's Day, which was also when Daddy told me I was pregnant. I tested the next day. We've thrown around some ideas but have not started officially planning the wedding.

We cloth diaper too, as a lot of women on here do. We started cloth diapering our youngest two at 4 months and just over two years. I would like to cloth diaper Baby Valentine as soon after birth as possible. I have never CDed a newborn though so I'm learning all that I can about that. I can help you with just about any other aspect of cloth diapering though. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#4 of 7 Old 04-02-2011, 12:03 PM
~pi

Welcome, Kathleen, and congratulations!!!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#5 of 7 Old 04-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Those are some big changes, mama!! Congrats on the engagement and pregnancy. And welcome to the DDC!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#6 of 7 Old 04-03-2011, 04:40 PM

Welcome! Nice to meet youlove.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#7 of 7 Old 04-07-2011, 05:11 PM

Hi Kathleen, I am new here too and we seem to have a lot in common already! My two boys are 8 and 10 also!!! They are also from a previous marriage, and I had given up on the idea of another child. I think that may even still be in my signature, which I need to change! LOL 

Glad to meet you, hope to get to know you better!

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page