Have you or will you have your placenta encapsulated? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 04-19-2011, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

NOM NOM NOM!!  eat.gif  Totally eating my placenta this time!  I have an awesome friend who is coming over the day I give birth and she's offered to do EVERYTHING including prepwork and baking!  I'm so thankful for her!  :D

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#32 of 46 Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 PM

Amy Lynn, I THOUGHT I was an open minded gal, but when I read "NOM NOM NOM" on the first page in relation to ingesting placenta, I almost threw up.  But then I burst out laughing.  ROTFLMAO.gif

Thank you, I needed that!

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#33 of 46 Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

Amy Lynn, I THOUGHT I was an open minded gal, but when I read "NOM NOM NOM" on the first page in relation to ingesting placenta, I almost threw up.  But then I burst out laughing.  ROTFLMAO.gif

Thank you, I needed that!

tiphat.gif I do try, lol. 

A lot of people are turned off by how I talk about eating my placenta though, lol.  I was talking the other day to my husband (who thinks it's wierd anyway but says "to each her own").  I told him I would sooo take a huge bite out of it post-delivery if I thought I was bleeding too much (I'm anemic) and he about gagged!  It was probably the exaggerated chewing & gulping noises I was makes.  lol.gif It was great! 

Gabesgrrrl likes this.

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#34 of 46 Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 AM

My husband said yesterday he would be willing to "close his eyes" and make me a smoothie right after birth, as long as I don't tell his sister I'm eating my placenta. He's afraid she'll "tell everyone"...but frankly, I see that as a PLUS!!! lol

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#35 of 46 Old 04-20-2011, 06:15 AM

You are totally in my October 2011 group on cafemom ;-) What a great friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFanatik View Post

NOM NOM NOM!!  eat.gif  Totally eating my placenta this time!  I have an awesome friend who is coming over the day I give birth and she's offered to do EVERYTHING including prepwork and baking!  I'm so thankful for her!  :D

#36 of 46 Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 AM

I have been incredibly grossed out by it in the past and honestly didn't think people ate the placenta outside of jungle tribes and such. Sorry that sounds terrible but it's the truth. Now that I have been researching home birthing and unassisted childbirth, I see that it is more common than that. I had no idea there were such great benefits to it and that you could cook it or put it in smoothies. I am much less grossed out by it now and think I will probably do it as well. I don't think I could do it on my own though. I will be asking my midwife if she does it and if she doesn't I will look into a service or something. I have a weak stomach :) Thank you ladies for all of the information!

#37 of 46 Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrkStrickland View Post

You are totally in my October 2011 group on cafemom ;-) What a great friend!

HEY!!!  Small world!  :D

#38 of 46 Old 05-01-2011, 05:34 PM

Hi,

I'm planning on the raw (from frozen) smoothie option - do I use the umbilical cord and amnotic sac aswell (therefore cutting them into small chunks to use within my smoothies) or can these parts not be used???

#39 of 46 Old 05-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new nic View Post

Hi,

I'm planning on the raw (from frozen) smoothie option - do I use the umbilical cord and amnotic sac aswell (therefore cutting them into small chunks to use within my smoothies) or can these parts not be used???

Nope, you wash it and remove all membranes (sack, cord, etc). Just use the placenta. Cut into bite size chunks, freeze after a few days and a few to a smoothy a few times a day.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#40 of 46 Old 05-02-2011, 02:36 AM

Thank you so much to you all. I'm actually quite saddened that the few (very close) people I have told have been absolutely disgusted by the idea, even my partner wont discuss it with me as it 'makes him feel sick' and insists I buy a brand new blender specifically for it as he doesn't want it done in our Vitamix!!! (and this is coming from a man who is very much into the raw vegan diet, going back to  nature, not eating processed rubbish, jeez the man doesnt even wash his hair as he doesnt like the chemicals) I haven't heard a single voice of support or any kind of encouragement and I'm really disappointed. Fortunately it only makes me more determined!!!! I will be posting this PROUDLY on my facebook!!!!

#41 of 46 Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Thank you all for being brave and talking about this.  I am VERY impressed by the wealth of information in this thread and want to bump it to make sure everyone sees it.  By the way, kudos on the good thread name (just asking regarding encapsulation)... I think something more blunt like "will you eat your placenta?" would probably keep the more squeamish of us from ever even reading about and considering it. 

I had heard about encapsulation in passing with my first pregnancy but no one I knew had done it, so thought it was kind of "out there".  I had a lovely homebirth waterbirth experience, but a rough afterbirth with partially detached placenta and serious hemorrhaging.  Had I been in the hospital they would have done a blood transfusion, but I did recover gradually with an IV and iron supplements.  It sucked to be so weak those first days, though!  From everything you have been saying, it sounds like I would have rebounded so much better with the extra nutrients from the placenta.  I now wonder why my midwife didn't suggest encapsulation (I would imagine because there is no such service in Costa Rica and she's not set up for it), or freezing chunks and consuming in smoothies as mentioned here. 

I will ask her opinion for this second birth, but will probably go ahead and do the frozen chunk option as mentioned here. 

A question though... I have never been good about cutting meats with knives, it grosses me out.  You think that kitchen scissors would work just as well (and faster?) for cutting the placenta into chunks to freeze? 

Mama to Gabriel (1-10-2009) and newborn Helena (10-9-2011) h20homebirth.gif with DP Julio.  ...cloth diapering, attachment parenting, infant EC-ing, etc.

#42 of 46 Old 05-18-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks so much for starting this thread! And thank you to everyone for posting such helpful info and links...I had heard of eating/encapsulating the placenta, but didn't know much about it and would probably not have tried it with this baby if I hadn't stumbled across this thread. This might be kind of a silly question, but when eating raw/frozen placenta, are there any concerns similar to if you ate raw meat? I know they're not equivalent, but it still makes me a little nervous for some reason blush.gif

Head over heels for DHjoy.gif bonus mama to super sweet DSS (10/9)superhero.gif and mama to DD (10/11)loveeyes.gif! nocirc.gif  sewmachine.gif  goorganic.jpg

#43 of 46 Old 05-18-2011, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Nope. :)

#44 of 46 Old 06-29-2011, 03:03 PM

After a lot of reading and research, i've decided to go with the raw/smoothy method. I told hubby about encapsulation, which he thought was cool because there was no prep or gag factor for HIM...but then I told him it would cost around 250. Suddenly the idea of chopping up a placenta in our kitchen on my grandma's old cutting board didn't sound so bad.LOL

I like that this way I can have it immediately.

I told my mom the other day, and she looked at me like i was from outer space...but then slowly warmed up to the idea and came to the conclusion that it actually made sense. Now she's telling other people about it. (oooh boy.)

I wouldn't even begin to tell our plans to my mother in law though...home birth is freaky enough for her. I can't imagine her face if I told her that I was planning on eating my placenta. She'd probably think that I was also going to give birth in a cardboard box under the basement stairs!

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#45 of 46 Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saritajoy View Post

A question though... I have never been good about cutting meats with knives, it grosses me out.  You think that kitchen scissors would work just as well (and faster?) for cutting the placenta into chunks to freeze? 

As long as they are sharp they work really well. My mw has used them before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBruja View Post

This might be kind of a silly question, but when eating raw/frozen placenta, are there any concerns similar to if you ate raw meat? I know they're not equivalent, but it still makes me a little nervous for some reason blush.gif

It is not technically considered meat and can be eaten by vegetarians. Nothing was killed to get the placenta , the exact opposite actually.

You need to follow similar guidelines to meet as far as storage goes. The placenta can stay in the fridge for 3 days and then needs to be frozen.  There is no concern with eating it raw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrabelle View Post

After a lot of reading and research, i've decided to go with the raw/smoothy method. I told hubby about encapsulation, which he thought was cool because there was no prep or gag factor for HIM...but then I told him it would cost around 250. Suddenly the idea of chopping up a placenta in our kitchen on my grandma's old cutting board didn't sound so bad.LOL

I like that this way I can have it immediately.

I told my mom the other day, and she looked at me like i was from outer space...but then slowly warmed up to the idea and came to the conclusion that it actually made sense. Now she's telling other people about it. (oooh boy.)

I wouldn't even begin to tell our plans to my mother in law though...home birth is freaky enough for her. I can't imagine her face if I told her that I was planning on eating my placenta. She'd probably think that I was also going to give birth in a cardboard box under the basement stairs!

I am glad you are giving it a shot. I really can't say enough positive things about it. Having it immediately is so awesome for your recovery especially if you have any issues with bleeding.

I don't know if my MIL knows but my dad makes my smoothies for me. Buys me a new blender after each birth cause he doesn't want to use one that the placenta was in. lol. Oh well I get a new blender out of it:). He also makes jokes about it but not offensive ones and then makes comments about how it must be the placenta that is helping my recovery.

I can't wait till oct. when people start to post how it worked for them.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#46 of 46 Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 PM

I know one person on here said she couldn't taste the placenta in the smoothie, but I want more reassurance.  Can anyone else verify that from experience?  I can clearly remember my step-mom saying that it was pretty gross after the midwife brought her a placenta smoothie, but I didn't see it being made and perhaps it had a whole lot more placenta than one or two small chunks.  My doula friend has offered to encapsulate it for me, which I'm perfectly comfortable with, but it does seem like the fresher and less processed the better.  I had considered cutting it into REALLY small chunks, freezing it and swallowing those whole.  I'm not so grossed out by it being my placenta as I am by it being meat.  I've never eaten meat and I find it really unappealing.  The idea of tasting organ meat in my smoothie really turns my tummy.  Anyone else on here who hates the taste/smell of meat tried to consume a placenta smoothie?

Married to my favorite person (together since '01, married since '05), the hapa papa to my queeuty quapa DD, born 10/11.

We baby wear, co-sleep, cloth diaper, don't vax and intend to nurse for a good long time.  

I don't care what you do as long as it works for your family.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page