spotlight (Apr 3 - 9): korintherin, auntbeabea, durafemina, ~pi, fourbeautifulgirls - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
~pi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to the second Oct 2011 DDC spotlight thread!

This week, the spotlight is on:

30 Sept – korintherin, #2

early Oct – auntbeabea (Bea), #1

early Oct – durafemina, #3
1 Oct – ~pi, #2
1 Oct – fourbeautifulgirls (Leia), #6

Previous weeks:

Week 1: MamaMcBride, ValH, akind1, purplerose, dragondreaming

How this works

If your name is listed above, this is a spotlight on you! Please answer all questions you have time for and feel comfortable answering.

Everyone else, ask questions of the five DDC members listed. Silly questions, serious questions, whatever you want to know!

When will everyone's thread happen?

I will start a new thread every Sunday. (If anyone else wants to help with this, PM me!)

We'll go in groups of 5, working our way down the list. Right now, that means the last spotlight thread will start in mid-September. I am taking the list from capretta's carefully maintained roster, so if you are not on that list, make sure to get on it if you want to be part of the spotlight threads.

What if I don't want to be in the spotlight?

That's OK. Just PM me to let me know. Or just don't answer any questions when your thread comes around.

We are going on the default assumption that people who have signed up on the roster are interested in talking with the rest of us and getting to know each other, but if you don't feel comfortable answering a bunch of questions on a public forum, that's perfectly OK.

What if someone doesn't answer?

This is one of the advantages of having so many people. With 5 people in the spotlight each week, chances are good that at least a few of each group will be able and willing to answer questions.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
~pi

Questions to get us started:

What are some causes / charities / etc. that are important to you?

Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? (Either all-time faves, or ones you have read lately.)

What are your favorite guilty (or perhaps not so guilty) pleasures?

If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go?

What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self?

How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting?

If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them. If you are a first time mom, tell us what you are most excited about when it comes to starting a family.

#3 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Questions to get us started:

What are some causes / charities / etc. that are important to you? Red Cross, WWF, Doctors Without Borders

Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? (Either all-time faves, or ones you have read lately.) I do like to read, but seemingly never have time. When I do, it is usually non-fiction stories or informational kind of books. "Straight Ahead Organic" by Shepard Ogden and "The Fourth Dimension" by Rudy Rucker

What are your favorite guilty (or perhaps not so guilty) pleasures? Sneaking out to have dinner ALL by myself at least once a week!

If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go? Costa Rica

What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self? I was a hell raising, trouble making, confused and shunned youth. That all that crap from high school doesn't matter at all in the real world!!

How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting? I am very adamant about my particular views on how I think my kids should be raised and yet at the same time, completely open minded and nonjudgmental  with how others raise their own. I think a lot of my strong willed mindset came from overcoming adversity from childhood. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger!!!

If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them. If you are a first time mom, tell us what you are most excited about when it comes to starting a family. I'm going to save this one for another day...I need to go fill my belly and the family is waiting on me!

Leia
Homeschooling mommy to 5 girls with number 6 on the way! joy.gifhomeschool.gifbfinfant.gifgoorganic.jpg
#4 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 03:02 PM

Where in the US would you like to travel to?

What's your favorite dessert?

What do you wear to bed?

What's your favorite part of pregnancy?

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#5 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 04:43 PM

What is your favorite season?

What lead you to MDC?

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#6 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

One of my life dreams is to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail, so I'll say the AT.

Fruit salad. But I am VERY fussy about it. Not just any fruit salad, only the kind I make. It must be heavy on berries and grapes, must also contain cut pieces of navel oranges, grapefruit, apples, tinned peaches, tinned pears, fresh pears, plums, nectarines, and NO MELONS. Most fruit salad is stretched with melons, which drives me crazy. Possibly a little bit of watermelon is ok, but absolutely no other melons. And no bananas, unless they are added at the very last minute.

In the summer, I make an enormous batch of this salad (it takes about two hours to do all the chopping) and then blissfully eat it for two or three meals a day for about a week. It makes me so happy.

What do you wear to bed?

It really depends. Far too often lately, my clothes. (I lay down to cuddle DS to sleep, and next thing I know, it's morning.) In general, I prefer fleece pants and tops in winter, shorts and Tshirts in summer. I used to mostly sleep naked, but then I started needing a place to clip my insulin pump, so out came the pants, and then I wanted to gently discourage the all-night buffet, so on went a shirt.

When it's over. Pregnancy is not fun for me. I am type 1 diabetic, and it's so much work to stay healthy and keep everything level in the face of fluctuating hormones and baby growth.

What is your favorite season?

Whatever one we are in. (I really do like them all.)

What led you to MDC?

It's been so long that I'm not sure I remember. I think I googled something and landed here? I joined shortly before we started TTC. It fit for me in a number of ways (we're very NFL and AP-oriented in a lot of ways, though not in all) and so I stayed. :-)

#7 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks for sharing. I love fruit salad too. Especially when pregnant!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#8 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolian View Post

What do you wear to bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-the-lake View Post

What is your favorite season? Oh, that's difficult! tie? spring AND fall!

What lead you to MDC? Despite the fact that my little info box says "new member" I actually joined a looong time ago...I was seeking a more natural/AP based community to bounce ideas off on as well as learn new things!

Leia
Homeschooling mommy to 5 girls with number 6 on the way! joy.gifhomeschool.gifbfinfant.gifgoorganic.jpg
#9 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM

By the way, this is lots of fun!! I am glad that this is being done!! Thanks so much!

Sorry my answers are always so concise... I am usually much more verbose!  I guess the pregnancy fatigue is k icking my butt lately...sleeping.gif

Leia
#10 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Hey Leia, this thread pushed you over into "member"! wink1.gif

(DDCs are good for that. I think a lot of my posts are from my DS' DDC. I just find it easier to communicate with a smaller group, where there is the possibility of actually getting to know everyone a little.)

#11 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Tell us about homeschooling your 5 girls. What are your days like? Why did you decide to homeschool? What are your DDs like with each other during the day?

#12 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM

Do you watch TV, what is your favorite show? 

Magazines or books or both? 

Soup, salad, sandwich - pick two and what type. 

Summer or winter? 

Do you sing in the car? Only when you are alone or when you are with others? 

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#13 of 21 Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 AM

Are you crafty? What kind of crafts do you like to make?

Or do you have any other interesting hobbies?

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#14 of 21 Old 04-05-2011, 06:08 AM

~pi: Can I ask what science you research? Are you at a university?
#15 of 21 Old 04-05-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Tell us about homeschooling your 5 girls. What are your days like? Why did you decide to home school? What are your DDs like with each other during the day

Hmm..lets see. We are off and on with our curriculum (which I piece together with what I am wanting to focus on..except for the core stuff like math and spelling..those are some books that I bought) so its usually a couple of weeks of concentrated study and then we switch to a more relaxed learning approach with the girls doing lots of reading into what they are interested in. When we do sit down to do work, I usually have a sheet for each day of the week with what they are required to do and they check it off as they go. Its a decent amount of work, but they almost always manage to get it done by lunch time and then the rest of the day is free for them. My days are pretty crazy...nothing out of the ordinary for a house full of people...just loud, lots of cleaning, and lots of fun! I decided to start home schooling from the very beginning when our first daughter reached school age. I just couldn't send her to school! I couldn't do it! It felt like we needed more time together to bond and learn and that's what we did. I had a very wise and intelligent friend that introduced me to home schooling (she was doing it with hers too) and the rest is history!

My girls are great together. They bicker and fight of course, but mostly they play well together and the older ones do a good job at incorporating the younger ones in the games. I also am wonderfully blessed enough to be able to witness the individual relationships that they have with each other growing and blossoming. They all interact so differently!

I noticed that I am a "member" now! How cool!

Leia
#16 of 21 Old 04-05-2011, 01:14 PM

Sorry! Couldn't figure out how to put this on my last response! nut.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodge View Post

Do you watch TV, what is your favorite show? Not much of a TV watcher...I don't even know the shows that are on!

Magazines or books or both? Both!

Soup, salad, sandwich - pick two and what type. Soup and salad. NE clam chowder and a salad with: spinach, mixed greens, boiled egg, tomato, shredded carrots, cucumber, tons of avocado, pepperocinis, broccoli, red and yellow bell peppers, red onions and poppy seed dressing. yum! I want one now!! eat.gif

Summer or winter? ARGH! you guys are killing me with this! I can't pick one or the other...I'm an outside person, so I appreciate each season for its wonderfulness! Summer for swimming and winter for snow and snowboarding!

Do you sing in the car? Only when you are alone or when you are with others? I sing in the car...poor girls! 2whistle.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post

Are you crafty? What kind of crafts do you like to make? I love to sew and build stuff/woodwork and garden. 

Or do you have any other interesting hobbies? I am hoping to get an oxy/acetylene torch set soon and learn how to weld/ work with metal!! biggrinbounce.gif

Leia
#17 of 21 Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Do you watch TV, what is your favorite show? Yes, and now that Friday Night Lights is off the air (sniff), I would say my favourite is probably Parenthood. DH and I watch together, snuggle, and stop at least once or twice per show to discuss issues raised in the show.

Magazines or books or both? Both, but more focus on books these days. Though I still get the Economist. That subscription was my gift to myself when I finished the phd, so it's really sentimental for me.

Soup, salad, sandwich - pick two and what type.  Soup - potato fennel. Salad - green, heavy on the tomatoes, with warm nut-crusted goat cheese.

Summer or winter? This time of year, I am very looking forward to summer. But I do really like both.

Do you sing in the car? Only when you are alone or when you are with others? Oh yes. And unfortunately for them, I subject other people to it.

Are you crafty? What kind of crafts do you like to make? I used to do crafts. I quilted a lot, and dabbled in other things. Now I have accepted that even though I like crafts, they are not enough of a priority for me to actually do them.

Or do you have any other interesting hobbies? Again, this makes me kind of sad, but I just don't do hobbies anymore. I miss them and hope to go back to them later in life.

~pi: Can I ask what science you research? Are you at a university? So, I will be very happy to talk about this after I have finalized my plans for next year, but right now I am in the middle of transitioning to the next career level (and am not disclosing the pregnancy during this process) and this is a publicly searchable site. I am sending you a PM with more details. Yes, I am at a university.

#18 of 21 Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 PM

Of what are you especially tolerant?

What makes you lose patience the fastest?

Would you rather be cut off in traffic or have someone else take credit for some bit of work you did?

What's your favorite material for clothing to be made out of?

Do you have pets?

Do you like short stories?

Do you "get" poetry?

pi:  I noticed you didn't answer your own questions . . . please do!

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#19 of 21 Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hykue View Post

Of what are you especially tolerant? others paths in life.

What makes you lose patience the fastest? my children acting violently.

Would you rather be cut off in traffic or have someone else take credit for some bit of work you did? cut off in traffic.

What's your favorite material for clothing to be made out of? cotton.

Do you have pets? Two cats, one dog,..let me restate that...one boxer, fish.

Do you like short stories? I do enjoy short stories.

Do you "get" poetry? yes, indeed.

pi:  I noticed you didn't answer your own questions . . . please do!

Leia
#20 of 21 Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Of what are you especially tolerant? Different ideas, value systems and decisions. I am usually very good at talking with people who think differently and have wildly different opinions than I do.

What makes you lose patience the fastest? I don't do well with people who appear to me to be unwilling to think, period. (This is a little in conflict with the above, but there is a distinction for me.)

Would you rather be cut off in traffic or have someone else take credit for some bit of work you did? TRAFFIC. I'm an academic; credit is everything.

What's your favorite material for clothing to be made out of? Hmm. Depends on the context (where I am wearing it, weather, etc.) But if I had to pick just one, I guess I would say silk and cotton blends. So comfortable and they hang so nicely.

Do you have pets? No, we decided to practice with children first.

Do you like short stories? Yes, very much.

Do you "get" poetry? Yes. I write a little from time to time, too.

pi:  I noticed you didn't answer your own questions . . . please do! Oh, I felt awkward doing that. OK, then.

What are some causes / charities / etc. that are important to you? International development (I did volunteer work in South America after college) and human rights. I donate and do some volunteer work along these lines. I am particularly interested in women's literacy and education.

Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? (Either all-time faves, or ones you have read lately.) I love to read. I just added a new favourite to my list. I picked it up in a sale bin and absolutely loved it: Eternal on the Water.

What are your favorite guilty (or perhaps not so guilty) pleasures? "Reality" television. I adore Amazing Race, and I watch Survivor, too.

If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go? Iceland.

What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self? Shy and introverted. Generally wrapped up in some pretty nasty family issues. If I could go back, I would tell myself to tell someone about what was going on at home, and get some help.

How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting? Both DH and I were raised by young, hippie-ish parents. (DH was actually raised on a commune.) So I think with our parenting, we end up pulling some of the aspects from our upbringing that we felt worked well, but also changing a few things. I'm much more willing to be the bad guy with DS than my mom ever was with her kids. I see my role as less of making him happy at every moment, and more of helping him to grow into a kind and compassionate person with integrity and a good work ethic. I find the checklist approach to defining AP off-putting, but it's certainly the style we fit best with. Basically, my approach is to treat children like people. Small people, with different capacities and limitations, but people nonetheless.

If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them. DS is coming up on 5, and I am really enjoying this age. I love the conversations we can have now, and the thoughts he expresses. I am away from home this week and he gave me a sheet of paper with x's and o's on it in case I was lonely while away. He's a really thoughtful, perceptive and generous little guy. He's a lot like my DH in personality, and the more I know him, the more I love him, if that makes sense. I mean, I loved him from the start, but I didn't know him yet, and now that I do, I am just blown away by what a neat little person he is and what a privilege it is to be in his life.

#21 of 21 Old 04-10-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Thank you to everyone who participated in this week's spotlight thread! Come join the next one and get to know some more of your fellow DDC members!

Week 3: JupiteRain48, puente, shonahsmom, Snugglebugmom

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page