Has anyone else had depression since getting pregnanty? Or experienced that before? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I have noticed that since I have gotten pregnant, I've had feelings of depression. This is strange for me, because I have rarely been depressed. Just a few weeks before conceiving I told a friend that I never get depressed and that I can't imagine having a bad day, so yeah, this is throwing me for a loop. It seems worse on cloudy days. When I can get outside for much of the day, I am much, much better. It was such a long and snowy winter. This week is supposed to be rainy and maybe a little snow, and I'm so worried.

The main feelings I have is that it's hard to have fun, I dread certain regular activities of my week, such as my twice weekly drives to Cambridge where I deliver food, I feel just blue and kind of empty, can't think of things I like to do...

Hopefully someone here has some insight about this--is it hormonal? I can hardly think of what else it could be.

TIA

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am guessing that it is hormonal but I would highly recommend you seeing someone about it. Not for meds only (maybe if they think you need something) but to talk and rule out any other issues.

I was depressed when I got pg and had been taking st johns wart but had to discontinue it bcs i became pg.
i am so sorry you are having a hard time, depression can be so challenging.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 04-03-2011, 08:53 PM

pregnancy hormones can absolutely cause depression - and it's treatable.  just b/c it's "hormones" doesn't mean it's not valid - all chemical depression is just hormones!  call your care provider, they can help. :)

Homebirthing mama of 2
Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

ok, thank you.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 AM

google thyroid during pg...can cause depression

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 PM

I can relate to the Mass weather!  Since you mentioned feeling better when you spend time outdoors, I would also encourage you to take additional Vitamin D (I take 8000 mg, but will take less once the weather gets nicer).  I suffer from seasonal afflicted depression (which can probably also be exacerbated by pregnancy hormones).  I also keep a full-spectrum light on at my desk.  Also, when I'm outside, I try to have the maximum skin exposure (ideally 20 minutes at least of sunshine a day).  It is hard to balance that with concerns about skin cancer & wrinkles, but as much as possible, I try to avoid sunglasses (sunlight should be hitting your retina).  My moisturizer has sunscreen, which is not ideal from the vitamin-D absorption perspective...  And also, even though today is yucky, it is supposed to be sunny on and off this week, and the weather here WILL get nicer!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
Old 04-04-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Amy May. I know, right? This weather is tough. You talked about the full spectrum lights--I just turned our lights on. I usually don't like them on when there's available light but this is an exception!

Today hasn't been so bad. Fingers crossed.

I don't believe I have thyroid issues, but I'll look it up.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:34 PM

I was really feeling this way today! I'm 29 weeks along and I live in the northwest. Its been raining for like 3 days non stop with no sun. I try to get out and have a normal day, but I just feel like you explained exactly. I dont really know what good remedies are except patience for better weather. I guess excersize can help too I just started prenatal yoga, and swimming once a week. Best of luck to you, we'll get through it!

User Tag List