Chat thread: 4/3-4/9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope everyone has a fantastic week! I know some of us are starting to begin our second trimester so I wanted to say CONGRATS to all those that are meeting that milestone!

We were up in Michigan this weekend and are getting ready to pack up and head home (to Kentucky) for a few days before we come back up here. Not thrilled with all this traveling, but there's not much I can do about it.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#2 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 AM

Well, I made the mistake of starting out my morning with this article:

http://www.ktnv.com/story/14338042/2011/03/28/baby

But I'm going to try to distract myself with browsing the awesome baby sales at Target and Babies R Us today to kill some time and perk me up.

13 weeks today and feeling awesome! Different reference materials list different weeks marking the start of the 2nd trimester. I've seen 12-14. I'm considering it today though, just to help me mentally! Still having kind of intense pain/cramps randomly. I think it is digestive and just related to all the new pressure down there.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#3 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 AM

Guess what?!?!?!?!

Weekend without vomit!

I've started looking at Babies R Us.  I am all about green, brown, and monkeys!

Safe travels, Steph!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#4 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 09:24 AM

I'm doing green, brown, and almost any animals!

I want to get the Graco Snugride 35 in Lowery (currently on sale at Target) but I'd like to check the safety ratings/consumer reports more. Anyone have a good resource?

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#5 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

I'm doing green, brown, and almost any animals!

I want to get the Graco Snugride 35 in Lowery (currently on sale at Target) but I'd like to check the safety ratings/consumer reports more. Anyone have a good resource?

http://www.car-seat.org/

that is where I go when I need any caseat info.

I will be 11 weeks tomorrow and still feel like crap!!!

I am just going to get the kids dressed to play outside....It is 14 and should go to 17 with thundershowers in a couple of hours...we will see how wet we get...

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#6 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the link!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#7 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Ooh, there's an iPhone app, too! orngbiggrin.gif

Thanks!

#8 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM

A note about buying carseats.... they have expiration dates so if you think you'll have more kids and want to use the same seat wait till closer to your due date to purchase. You won't wan't it to expire before your 2nd kid can use it. I can't remember how long the expiration dates are though....

I go with week 13 starting your 2nd trimester. It feels good to be here!! I'm feeling loads more energy these days and its awesome.  I can't remember the last day I felt morning sickness either. :)

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#9 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Car seats usually expire within 6-7 years, I think.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#10 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 03:07 PM

For anyone who has access to Costco, I just wanted to share that my Costco in Colorado (as well as a friend's Costco in the Seattle area, so probably most Costco's) has a great deal on a carseat.  They're selling the Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite convertible carseat for about $85 (retails at $160).   This is a WAY better car seat than I can typically afford, and it does it all!  Rear-facing from infancy to 35lbs, forward facing harness to either 50 lbs/43 in., and then a belt-positioning booster seat after that.  It has an 8 year expiration date, AND you don't have to re-thread the straps to adjust them!  I'm not a car seat guru, but I'm happy enough with what I've read on this model that I plan on purchasing it.  In fact, I would have, a few days ago, but they had run out of them in-stock.  They're getting more in this week, and I'm thrilled.  My first big baby purchase!! 

In other news.... I'm totally stumped these days about what to have for dinner.  Sigh.  How have I functioned as a wife and mother for the past 11 years?  I had to have cooked so many meals, and suddenly I can't think of any!!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#11 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

14 weeks today! Maybe I'll start being more awake now. Yawn.

I went for my NT scan on Thursday but baby did NOT want to cooperate. And, baby was measuring 13w6d, which is as big as you can get for an NT scan, so I won't be getting one. If I want to do screening I'll have to wait for the quad. Perky bean, though; got into every position except the one the sonographer needed.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#12 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 03:53 PM

I got a text from the CDC's pregnancy program that the new law says kids have to be rear facing until they are two, otherwise I might want to pick up that Costco seat!

Edit: Excuse me, correction - the American Academy of Pediatrics changed their recommendations. It was not a law.

#13 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 PM

I was under the impression that 35lbs rear facing was plenty of "wiggle" room for a 2yo.  My just-turned-3yo is somewhere around 35 or 40lbs.  Of course, I can't remember at all what he was at 2 years old, but I have to think the average 2yo isn't heavier than my 3yo?  I do remember that I ended up turning him forward at about 18 months, but that he still had room to grow according to the guidelines of his carseat then, which is not as nice as this one being sold at Costco.

AlexisT - congrats on 14 weeks!!!  :D  Sorry your scan didn't go as planned, but good to know there's a healthy baby wiggling around in there, huh?

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#14 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 PM

My 2yo is probably about 35 pounds now. And he's still RFing, but in a Graco MyRide65.. so we have ABOUT 5 more pounds until we need to turn him. We had a Alpha Omega for my older son and freaking hated that thing. It was so hard to tighten the straps. BUT I don't think it's the same that Leiahs mentioned as that one didn't have the easy strap adjustment.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#15 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 05:14 PM

We had a Britax Boulevard for DD, but we had to replace it after a crash (otherwise, we would have just bought a new seat--she was at max shoulder height). Her original bucket is European so we can't use it again.

We'll probably buy another bucket to start off with, because I'll like having it during the winter.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#16 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post

For anyone who has access to Costco, I just wanted to share that my Costco in Colorado (as well as a friend's Costco in the Seattle area, so probably most Costco's) has a great deal on a carseat.  They're selling the Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite convertible carseat for about $85 (retails at $160).   This is a WAY better car seat than I can typically afford, and it does it all!  Rear-facing from infancy to 35lbs, forward facing harness to either 50 lbs/43 in., and then a belt-positioning booster seat after that.  It has an 8 year expiration date, AND you don't have to re-thread the straps to adjust them!

The ladies in the family safety forum can give you more detailed info, but from what I've read this really isn't that great of a carseat, unless they've changed it recently. It doesn't make a very good infant carseat (some babies are born too small to safely fit in this for a few months), doesn't keep kids harnessed long enough (they outgrow it by height before they do weight) and then isn't that great of a booster either. In addition, most children are not ready to be out of a booster by 7 or 8 years (if it expires in 8 years and it's already on the shelves now then it likely only has around 7 years left when the baby is born). My ds is 7 1/2 and still harnessed. He will be in a booster for a long time after that.

Like I said though, it's been awhile since I've looked into this carseat so things may have changed!

With ds he's had a ton of carseats, but I'm kinda a carseat freak lol.gif He started out in a Graco Snugride bucket, then he had a Graco Comfortsport (I would not recommend this, though at the time it was a decent carseat for what I needed it to do), A Britax Marathon (loved it), a Britax Regent (LOVE LOVE LOVE this carseat though they no longer make it. His expires this fall and we're so sad greensad.gif), Graco Nautilus (love it) and finally, as a backup he has a Graco TurboBooster.

#17 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

The ladies in the family safety forum can give you more detailed info, but from what I've read this really isn't that great of a carseat, unless they've changed it recently. It doesn't make a very good infant carseat (some babies are born too small to safely fit in this for a few months), doesn't keep kids harnessed long enough (they outgrow it by height before they do weight) and then isn't that great of a booster either. In addition, most children are not ready to be out of a booster by 7 or 8 years (if it expires in 8 years and it's already on the shelves now then it likely only has around 7 years left when the baby is born). My ds is 7 1/2 and still harnessed. He will be in a booster for a long time after that.

Like I said though, it's been awhile since I've looked into this carseat so things may have changed!

I had forgotten there was a forum like that here.  I will have to look into it more!  I wouldn't be concerned about the infant size - I have big babies... but the other things are worth looking into.  Still... a part of me keeps going back to the fact that this one is better than any other car seat I've owned, even if it's not the best one out there.  And I don't want to start with a bucket.  I hate them.  Finally got rid of the bucket seat from our first baby less than 2 years ago, and I don't want to replace it!

#18 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 07:47 PM

I have to say it makes me feel really old to read through this thread and realize that I've been having babies for long enough that some of our original carseats are expired! Eeek! Guess I'll be doing some shopping this summer!

I'm 11 weeks today, and can't believe how fast the time has gone already! I'm starting to pull out maternity clothes; I can still squeeze into my regulars but they're getting too uncomfortable. Our first appointment is Friday; I am so excited to talk with our family doc again and hopefully hear a heartbeat. I posted on another thread that I am already starting to feel some fluttery movements, which is so amazing and cool.

On a somewhat unrelated note, dh built a chicken tractor for the pasture, and we picked up our first-ever laying hens today! We already raise our own beef and have a huge garden, so I'm super excited to add 'eggs' to the list of homegrown, healthy foods I will be nourishing the baby with.

Blessings to everyone!

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

#19 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 PM

Carolyn - that is SO exciting! Where did you get the design for chicken tractor? We are moving to 88 acres in one month! We won't be getting chickens this year (my Mom got them last year for the first time so I've been helping with hers) but probably next year. Fresh eggs are so awesome.

I thought my exhaustion was improving but today kicked me in the butt. The weather didn't help - cold, rainy/snowy & overcast. Blah!!!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#20 of 75 Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM
~pi

Carolyn, that's wonderful! I really want chickens someday. (Someday = when I am not traveling so much.) Though we would likely have city chickens.

Re: car seats, it bugs me that we won't be able to use DS' Marathon for this babe for more than a year. We will replace it, but I admit that I would like to see the engineering documents about the expiry date. It just doesn't wash for me that every single seat out there has the same limit. They aren't all made of the same type of foam.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#21 of 75 Old 04-05-2011, 05:49 AM

Carseats should have the expiration date listed somewhere on the bottom or back of the seat.

Feeling pretty good here, although a little stressed. Lots of school work this week before spring break next week. My son finally had some chicken pox show up last night, so here goes another week with a child home from school. I was waiting for them though, and I'm glad he will have them and get that out of the way.

I made an interview appt. with some midwives that do homebirths and hospital births, they are much more strict, but I hear mostly good things about them. I might still get checked by the homebirth O.B. this week, and see, but these other midwives take medicaid so I will save alot of money if I go with them, but there is more of a chance I might wind up in the hospital if I choose them. Either way, the most important thing is a healthy baby, so I'm sure everything will work out fine.

I have no idea what type of carseat we will get, probably will look for something that will fit next to my dd's booster and my ds's butt, or just take whatever I can get for free from the local police.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#22 of 75 Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post

I had forgotten there was a forum like that here.  I will have to look into it more!  I wouldn't be concerned about the infant size - I have big babies... but the other things are worth looking into.  Still... a part of me keeps going back to the fact that this one is better than any other car seat I've owned, even if it's not the best one out there.  And I don't want to start with a bucket.  I hate them.  Finally got rid of the bucket seat from our first baby less than 2 years ago, and I don't want to replace it!

I would suggest looking into the Cosco Scenera for the first carseat. It makes an excellent infant and rear-facing seat. Most children will need another forward facing seat after they outgrow this one because they won't be big enough for a booster. At that time a Graco Nautilus would be a good option (unless something better comes out by then!). A Cosco Scenera is about $35-45 (if you wait for a sale I've seen it as low as $35). The Graco Nautilus is around $130 but you can often find it on sale for cheaper (and who knows how much it will be in another 3ish years before you would need it, or whether something better/cheaper comes out by then).

#23 of 75 Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 AM

we are going to have some carseat drama too!

It is very difficult to fit 3 accross in our vehicle :(

3 new carseats or a new veh??

would love a minivan!!!! no buck :(

so we will have to buy $1000 worth of carseats....grrrr

possibly 2 radian XT's and a chicco keyfit bucket.

we have a nautilus and a scenera in use right now...and a practically new safeseat bucket :(

I am going to hold off as long as I can so that maybe we will win the lottery and get a van....lol

11 weeks today...cranky and sick.... nt scan is a week from tomorrow

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#24 of 75 Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 AM

DS's infant seat has expired and with twins we'll need 2 new infant seats. Yikes! I'm wondering about finding used ones at Once Upon a Child or something (do they sell used)? I know buying used seats are controversial. I'm also wondering about maybe just buying 1 infant seat and 1 convertible seat...I can't imagine lugging 2 infant carriers around. I could barely handle one! On the other hand, DS was 4 weeks early and 5 pounds when we brought him home. I'm assuming the twins will be early and small as well. I've read that convertible seats don't fit newborns, especially small ones very well? But DS was out of his infant seat by 6 or 7 months. I can't imagine buying 2 seats that only get used for a few months. Sigh. What to do, what to do?! At least we've got time :)

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#25 of 75 Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Wow, I'm so not ready to start thinking about carseats yet!  My husband is a super nerdy researcher, so that time will come, but I won't even mention it to him until AFTER his thesis presentation for his master's this month.  Otherwise, he'd put together a powerpoint presentation and consumer reports analysis on all the different models and pros and cons of each.  I want him to focus on his paper first!

Today I am 12 weeks.  And definitely showing, which seems strange for a first baby.  I'm pretty athletic and have very strong abs, but I thought that would make me show later, not earlier. 

Also, I have had very little morning sickeness, up until today.  Literally just a few brief moments of queasyness.  Until today.  I spent 10 minutes draped over the toilet bowl at work, puking up breakfast.  Luckily, we have a "mother's room" on my floor, so afterwards, I laid down on the bench for 55 minutes and napped.  I feel a little better, but still queasy and yucky.  Ironic that this doesn't happen until 12 weeks.  I had a banana a liitle bit ago to raise my blood sugar, but now the thought of food makes me want to puke again.  Actually, I think I could handle salty crackers.  I guess every pregnant lady should get the experience of puking at least once!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#26 of 75 Old 04-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Amy...puking made me feel sooo much better!!!  - I was on med for morning sickness last pg, but never threw up...just the thought of food and the dry heaves started...I lost 20lbs...at the start of the second tri I actually threw up...GLORIOUS!!!!!!  I felt humann for a little while afterward...I even got to fall asleep :)

this pg when I was sooo sick that I could not sleep--I stuck my finger down my throat- instant relief!!!!!!

bstandlee...2 buckets would be madness!!! I def use buckets for the first winter, but then convertables :)

The scenera car seat is minimal....great if you are broke (has to pass testing just like any other seat) I bought it for ds because it was the only convertable that I could get to fit really well in my '97 Jeep TJ (wrangler).

#27 of 75 Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Anyone drive a sSubaru Forester? I'm wondering if we can fit the Chicco bucket and a Britax Marathon in the back.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#28 of 75 Old 04-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Ahhh..carseats.  We still have a Graco SnugRide that we were really happy with for DS...and it's not expired.  Right now DS (32 months, 30 lbs) is rear-facing in a Britax Boulevard in my car and in a Cosco Scenera in DH's car.  The Britax is definitely the cushier ride, and tightening the straps on the Scenera has been a PITA - hopefully it will be easier when we switch to FF, which will probably be in the next few months.  I'm thinking about whether we should get a third seat to put in my parents' car, since after the baby's born we might have DS spending a little more time hanging out with them and it could be handy if they could either drive him home or pick him up or take him someplace fun.

On a dfferent topic, anyone getting really bad tension headaches?  I had one yesterday...my fourth maybe in this pregnancy.  From googling and also my intuition, I think I'm geting them when I go too long without eating something substantial and drinking enough.  Yesterday DS and I spent about 4 hours in a row out of the house (arboretum, bakery, library) and all I had to eat in that time was a handful of little pretzel peanut butter sandwiches.  These headaches KILL and also seem to make me feel more queasy...?

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#29 of 75 Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 PM

Headaches are no fun! I'm very affected by not getting sleep, not eating well, and not drinking enough water. Thankfully I get fewer headaches while pregnant but I get killer migraines in general. Be sure to bring water and better snacks with you if you will be out and about for any length of time. I do take Tylenol if I feel one coming on because if I don't I can barely function. I have to take it right away too or it often doesn't work. When not pregnant I take ibuprofin because that seems to work much better for me. If you are home I find taking a super hot shower helps too. If you can't get to the shower even a hot washcloth around the back of your neck may feel good.  Headaches suck!

I'm a little worried about the car seat thing because I'm not sure I can fit two rear facing seats in my car (Subaru Forester). We had the bucket seat behind the passenger seat because DH couldn't move the seat back far enough when he drove. When we moved DD into a convertible (Britax Boulevard) we kept it behind the passenger seat. I think it was the same issue as moving the driver seat back enough but I can't remember. I need to pull the bucket seat out of storage and try them both in there to see. I really don't want to turn DD's seat around. She is barely over 20 pounds (23 pounds at 26 months). ugh!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#30 of 75 Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Carolyn - that is SO exciting! Where did you get the design for chicken tractor? We are moving to 88 acres in one month! We won't be getting chickens this year (my Mom got them last year for the first time so I've been helping with hers) but probably next year. Fresh eggs are so awesome.

I thought my exhaustion was improving but today kicked me in the butt. The weather didn't help - cold, rainy/snowy & overcast. Blah!!!

Dh's design was somewhat of a conglomeration. He's been researching chicken tractors for months and used ideas from all over. The overall size is about 8 ft x 16 ft, but he tried to make it fairly lightweight so it is still able to be moved around the pasture. It's mostly wire stretched over a wood frame, and the back few feet is closed in on three sides by wood and has the roosts, nesting boxes, and feeder, waterer, etc. The whole thing is only about four feet high, so there's a door on the top of the back to open and get the eggs out of the nesting boxes. We started with 13 hens and we've already gotten 12 eggs!

I expanded my wardrobe today - my sister and I swap maternity clothes back and forth so I went to her house and borrowed a big bag of stuff! I know some people can't stand them, but I actually really enjoy wearing maternity clothes! I've only gained a pound or so at 11 weeks, but I can tell my shape is changing, as in, my waist is disappearing!

Have a great week, everyone!

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page