Stressing over an abnormal pap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, we've had our first appointment with the midwives, and it went just fine. She heard the heartbeat, and we planned to have an ultrasound and first screening done. Then yesterday I got a call that my pap was abnormal, and that they had tested me for HPV, and that came back positive. I was taken off guard by the HPV thing, but I know now that I could have been carrying it for years and finally "woke it up" with the pregnancy suppressing my immune system. 

We're waiting now to hear about when a colposcopy will be scheduled to determine just how serious these abnormal cells are. We're trying not to get too worked up over this, but it's really stressful to consider that there could be something wrong with me, and that it could endanger both me and the pregnancy.

Anyone else experience this? 

~ Kathleen

Mom to Josiah (10) and Jonathan (8), with #3 on the way in October.

#2 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 04:29 PM
~pi

hug.gif mama. That's scary. I hope everything turns out fine. Remember that lots of women have HPV with no ill effects.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#3 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 04:37 PM

I've had an abnormal pap(HPV) and a colposcopy in the past, it turned out to be nothing at all, and I've had lots of normal paps since then! Hopefully the same thing will happen for you!

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

#4 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Sending lots of calming, positive thoughts your way. I know that must be really unsettling news!

#5 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 PM

Hi, I've been there! Not during pregnancy, but I had a very abnormal pap with just about the worst results you can get from my colpo, and then the "top hat" LEEP two years ago. I had Stage 3 dysplasia and was scared half to death. I was told I had HPV and that I would have to be tested a year after my LEEP to see if it is one of the the worst kinds.

SO, fast forward thru all of that, I had the surgery to remove the cells, and the results came back good, all abnormal cells gone. 

Fast forward to now, my latest pap came back normal, my OB thinks my cervix looks healthy and I had the HPV test done about a month ago and will get results back on my next appt. I told the doctor I had come to terms with the fact that I may have HPV forever, and maybe even the cancer causing kind. She just looked at me and said " And maybe you will have fought the HPV off and you will be all clear too"

SO, it is a scary thing to hear....but it is quite common and many (most!!) women have the abnormal stuff removed and they are as good as new!

Also, I was TTCing way back when I had the abnormal pap, and my then doctor assured me that even if I was to get pregnant it would be okay, and sometimes women push those bad cells out when they have the baby. I didnt conceive during that time, but it was reassuring. 

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#6 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 PM

I have experienced exactly that before and everything turned out just fine. I had an abnormal pap early in pregnancy, was diagnosed with HPV, and had a colposcopy which looked good. And then the pap after having my son came back normal. Hopefully it's the same for you!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#7 of 12 Old 04-09-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolian View Post

I have experienced exactly that before and everything turned out just fine. I had an abnormal pap early in pregnancy, was diagnosed with HPV, and had a colposcopy which looked good. And then the pap after having my son came back normal. Hopefully it's the same for you!

yeahthat.gif....except not during pregnancy.  This was when we were soon going to start TTC #1.  Nothing but normal paps (and neg. for HPV) since.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#8 of 12 Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the feedback... It does make me feel a lot better. Hopefully we'll have the colposcopy soon and get good news so we can return to the normal pregnancy worries.

-Kathleen

#9 of 12 Old 04-15-2011, 07:54 AM

Hi there!

Total been there, and I had pre-cancerous cells on my cervix. Moderate-severe dysplasia. Pretty scary at the time. However...I used a natural product called Beta Mannen (Mannan?)-it's an aloe-based product you take in capsule form and also insert vaginally. In 90 days, it reduced it to very mild dysplasia, which only meant Cryo and was completely painless.

BTW: I've been HPV negative for years now. I strongly recommend the product. Although it's been a lot of years...I hope it's still in production!

Deep breath and good luck!

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#10 of 12 Old 04-15-2011, 04:33 PM

Just found out this week that almost 2 years after my LEEP, my pap came back normal and my HPV test came back negative!! 

Something I just remembered that I did that seemed to help, sitz bath in calendula.I bought the calendula at the health food store and boiled it up, strained it and let it cool.  Good luck and I know you will be fine!

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#11 of 12 Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 PM

I also had a series of abnormal paps, colposcopy, mild dysplasia seven years ago, before my first pregnancy. We monitored it throughout my pregnancy and the problem went away after I gave birth to my son. Ob said the abnormal cells sloughed off during delivery. I've had normal paps ever since. Good luck!

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#12 of 12 Old 04-19-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for more positive stories. It looks like the colposcopy will be on May 4, and we're just not going to stress out in the meantime. We had our first ultrasound, and it went fine. We're just taking this one thing at a time.

~ Kathleen

Mom of Josiah (10) and Jonathan (8) and expecting #3 in October.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page