• Mamma

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Maman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mother

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

October 2011, are you Mom or Mummy or Mama?

1K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  saritajoy 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
I posted mommy but depending on the age I can be mama and wouldn't be surprised if my oldest (almost 9) starts calling me mom soon.

#4 ·
Starts out mama, preteen years I hear, "Moooom!!"(usually in an offended or embarassed tone) and my 15 year old calls me "Mommy" when she wants to butter me up LOL. Mama is very typical in my area, even adults tend to call their mothers "mama".

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

I have two, my youngest calls me "mama" and my oldest usually calls me "mommy" although she switches back and forth. Mama is the Dutch word for mommy.
In formulating the question, I did a quick search and found that Mama or a variation of it is used in a lot of languages.

Dutch - mama
French - maman
German - Mama
Greek - μαμά
Italian - mamma
Portuguese - mamã
Russian - мама
Spanish - mamá

Do your children speak Dutch?

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

Starts out mama, preteen years I hear, "Moooom!!"(usually in an offended or embarassed tone) and my 15 year old calls me "Mommy" when she wants to butter me up LOL. Mama is very typical in my area, even adults tend to call their mothers "mama".
This. My two switch back and forth between "mama" and "mama", but the vast majority of the time, I'm mama.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by capretta View Post

In formulating the question, I did a quick search and found that Mama or a variation of it is used in a lot of languages.

Dutch - mama
French - maman
German - Mama
Greek - μαμά
Italian - mamma
Portuguese - mamã
Russian - мама
Spanish - mamá

Do your children speak Dutch?
They don't speak much of it unfortunately, but they do understand me pretty well. I am the only Dutch influence in their lives and it's just not possible to compete with all the English that surrounds them 24/7.

Side note: isn't it funny that all those words for mommy directly relate to the Latin word for boob? I love that!

#18 ·
I started as mama when ds was just starting to talk but now I am solidly mommy. Very recently he has been playing around with mom & even my first name. Dh is papa but ds has also been playing around with daddy which is funny 'cause it's not a term we EVER use.

#21 ·
Kadie (22 months) calls me "MomMom". Everyone else calls me "Mommy" though if they're talking to someone else and referring to me they'll say "My Mom...."

#23 ·
I'm "mami" since that's what most Costa Ricans call their mothers in Spanish, which is slightly different than the English "mommy" but that's the closest thing so I voted for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.