Decaff coffe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can you have it or not??

I'd google it, but for some reason my web browser will not load the google page. Dumb question maybe, but I want to make sure its only the caffeine in coffe thats no good

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 PM

I wouldn't worry about it.  I have heard that decaf coffee is fine.  I drank it during my last pregnancy with no problems.

I intend to drink regular once I start feeling better.  I never drink more than a cup or so anyway.

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#3 of 18 Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 AM

Most people do "swiss water process" only decaf, as it doesn't involve chemicals, only pressure and water.  Personally, I just drink regular coffee.  But that's my risk tolerance.  Everyone has their own and that's okay. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 18 Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

well if one cup of regualr coffee a day is alright then ill do either one!

It never ceases to amaze me how there is no one set way to go with pregnancy. in this book my friend just gave me it pretty much said the everything im doing is wrong.

no sugar - cake, ice cream chocalte, nothing.

no caffeine - not even on coke

no meals larger than your palm at a time - ever

like omg......overkill?

#5 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 AM

As an owner to a café I'm going to tell you to skip decaf. For one, even decaf coffee still has some amount of caffeine in it, depending what standard the company follows either 97.5% (for US) or 99.9% (for European standards) must be removed. For two, do you know how most companies extract the caffeine from their coffee? For most of them, solvents and other chemicals but even carbon monoxide (though that is very expensive method). The safest method is called "Swiss Water Process", works just like the chemical method without the chemicals...however it's not widely done in the U.S. at this time therefore I suggest asking your company directly what process they use before you actually drink the decaf.

ETA: Me, personally, I drink one coke a day, and that works well for me. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#6 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 11:13 AM

Since my stomach can handle it again now, I've been doing one cup of regular coffee in the morning, but with lots of milk. Probably about a 1:3 ratio.   It's not the same as my beloved black coffee, but it'll do.  I'm thinking it'll be really good with ice this summer :)

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#7 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyann View Post

well if one cup of regualr coffee a day is alright then ill do either one!

It never ceases to amaze me how there is no one set way to go with pregnancy. in this book my friend just gave me it pretty much said the everything im doing is wrong.

no sugar - cake, ice cream chocalte, nothing.

no caffeine - not even on coke

no meals larger than your palm at a time - ever

like omg......overkill?

I totally agree Emilyann.  I've been thinking about all the things I'm supposed to do or not supposed to do, and the level of risk associated with them.  Sure, I should take my vitamins.  But stuff like this? A cookie?  A cup of coffee?  A glass of wine? A turkey sandwich? Those risks are very small.  It would definitely be ok to avoid them, but as an informed adult, I can make a decision to take the risk too.   I'm starting to feel angry that the world seems to think I can't tell the difference between a cup of coffee and a gallon or one glass of wine per trimester and binge drinking.  It's like I became pregnant and now am being treated like a 5 year old. 

I'm exaggerating because I'm emotional.  I'm just really tired of folks being up in my business, and not being able to make my own decisions without someone questioning it.  You know, like I could five months ago. 

#8 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM

I don't think you're exaggerating by much! It's like our society wants pregnant women in a little glass case to keep them safe. But with enough room to exercise, because of course that is important. Eat exactly the right things, stay away from anything that is not 100% nutritious or safe, get exactly the right amount of exercise, but make sure you don't do anything that is not 100% safe... Every little thing you do, eat, feel, or neglect to do during pregnancy will have life long (and dire!) consequences for your baby! I feel like I am walking a tight rope. I know in Europe they are way more relaxed about pregnancy and childbirth than they are in North-America. My sister (in Holland) tends to think that I am exaggerating when I tell her about recommendations here. Not so much, unfortunately. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#9 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Iris~ One of the joys of being pregnant and have a handful of kids is you have the experience and confidence to tell well meaning advice givers "Thanks but no thanks." Everything in pregnancy has risks, some much more than others. I think every woman should care enough about the baby she is carrying to not take generic blanket information but research and educate herself and figure out what is best and safest for her baby and her body. You may surprise yourself (generally speaking) and realize that diet soda you thought you were better off with actually carries more risk than a regular, etc.

I think the key here is moderation and figuring out what is best for you and your baby. For me, one can of coke is "my thing". However, I know how my babies both nursing and in-utero react to that caffeine and how my body reacts. I weighed the risks and decided that's what works best for me. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#10 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 PM

I do the same thing, I think... I ask myself if  my decision will allow me to sleep at night. Or if I will lie awake, worrying. If so, it's not worth it.  A cup of coffee or two a day? Not a problem. Dropping acid? Sleepless night. (Just an example, I have never actually dropped acid in my life lol.)

I am looking forward to having a nice glass of wine some time soon, maybe with Easter, because I truly do not believe that a bit of wine or beer now and then will cause fetal alcohol syndrome. Would I down a quart of vodka while pregnant? Umm no. I think a lot of it is common sense, and it doesn't hurt that I have done this twice before and they both turned out alright. It's much harder when it's your first, and you are basically being scared into sitting on the couch all day drinking water and doing Kegel exercises. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#11 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 09:33 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by puente View Post

I totally agree Emilyann.  I've been thinking about all the things I'm supposed to do or not supposed to do, and the level of risk associated with them.  Sure, I should take my vitamins.  But stuff like this? A cookie?  A cup of coffee?  A glass of wine? A turkey sandwich? Those risks are very small.  It would definitely be ok to avoid them, but as an informed adult, I can make a decision to take the risk too.   I'm starting to feel angry that the world seems to think I can't tell the difference between a cup of coffee and a gallon or one glass of wine per trimester and binge drinking.  It's like I became pregnant and now am being treated like a 5 year old. 

I'm exaggerating because I'm emotional.  I'm just really tired of folks being up in my business, and not being able to make my own decisions without someone questioning it.  You know, like I could five months ago. 

It's so true. I always think of a section from a very nice paper (talking about something else, but the argument applies broadly):

Quote:
Here, again, we see a tendency to regard probabilities alone as grounding unequivocal recommendations out of the context of the broader factors that give those estimates their meaning. Added here is a second pattern: a tendency to pursue zero risk to the fetus, independently of the absolute size of the risk, of competing considerations, or of recognition that fetal risk exists in other acceptable contexts. Reducing perinatal morbidity and mortality is a critical goal. But there is an irreducible element of risk in pregnancy and childbirth, no less than in life generally. Thus, pursuit of absolute zero risk to the fetus in clinical care or health policy is not only quixotic, it is disproportionate to how we think about risk elsewhere, including in the treatment of born children. (Lyerly et al., 2007)

I do a little work in a related area, and I always find it interesting how bananas people go over risk in the context of pregnancy compared to so many other contexts. And you're right, it's incredibly infantilizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post
It's much harder when it's your first, and you are basically being scared into sitting on the couch all day drinking water and doing Kegel exercises. 

lol.gif

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#12 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 PM

I agree with above ladies! I just go ahead and have a cup of coffee or a soda when I want one.  It has never been a problem. I tend to just live my normal life during pregnancy, a little abbreviated/lighter version of it, but pretty much the same. The only things I avoid are sushi and some cheeses and sprouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABB View Post

Iris~ One of the joys of being pregnant and have a handful of kids is you have the experience and confidence to tell well meaning advice givers "Thanks but no thanks." Everything in pregnancy has risks, some much more than others. I think every woman should care enough about the baby she is carrying to not take generic blanket information but research and educate herself and figure out what is best and safest for her baby and her body. You may surprise yourself (generally speaking) and realize that diet soda you thought you were better off with actually carries more risk than a regular, etc.

I think the key here is moderation and figuring out what is best for you and your baby. For me, one can of coke is "my thing". However, I know how my babies both nursing and in-utero react to that caffeine and how my body reacts. I weighed the risks and decided that's what works best for me. 

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#13 of 18 Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Iris, Jaime, ~pi, Mountaingirl,  

Thank you!  I'm feeling a lot tougher this morning, ready to tell the invading forces to bug off. 

I really, really love the quote, pi.  That's EXACTLY it-- some of the drama doesn't make any sense compared to all the other risks that folks choose or experience every day, and risk compared to effort needed to avoid the risk is totally out of whack.  AND it was written all fancy, which makes it all sound more true/legit.   ;)  

In spite of the fact I'm feeling tough, there are a largish group of people that I haven't told about my pregnancy yet,  and I think I'll hold off a while longer.     What they don't know, doesn't annoy me, right?

I've been jealous on the beautiful bellies thread, because I'm not showing at all at 16 weeks. Maybe a little poofy, but if I didn't know, I wouldn't be able to tell I was pregnant.  Right now, though, I'm celebrating my Stealth Child. 

Happy Friday everyone! 

#14 of 18 Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 AM

I keep thinking about this thread, and I thought you ladies might enjoy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-Mother-Baby-Fertility/dp/1596913940/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302885887&sr=8-1

It really helped me to keep things in perspective.  Some of her advice is a little avant garde, but it's a great book.

Loving wife to a wonderful and Godly man, hug.gif  and SAHM to two beautiful boys, DS1, natural hospital birth (2/2010) and DS2, beautiful homebirth (10/2011) cd.gifnursex2.gif

#15 of 18 Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

I AM SO THANKFUL I HAVE YOU GUYS.

@Snugglebumom though I am a worry wart, I go by your method. If I don't lose sleep over it, I dont stress too much! It's funny about the excercise though, everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for wanting to walk to continue yoga! Apparently I'm supposed to be completely lazy the next 6 months!

This my first pregnancy and I really am doing this alone so I have no idea what the heck it is I'm doing. I mean I have one pregnant girl I know, but I refuse to take her advice. She smokes a pack of Kools a day and has been drinking atleast 2 beer daily for the whol 28 weeks of pregnancy (she informed me I was being an idiot for not drinking with her because it can't/won't hurty the baby). I feel horrible for that baby and I know no to do that much atleast! Though I will enjoy a glass of wine for my 22nd birthday!

@psuedodiva, I am going to get that book immediatly!I need it, thank you so much!

@puente, I understand the horomones. I had some food in the fridge and my little brother ate it, which made me cry because my horomones get the best of me at times. My sister and dad had the audacity told me to suck it up and to stop using my pregnancy as an excuse to be a baby!!!! People don't understand pregnancy at all! Whether is comes to the do's and don'ts or just the ups and downs! I'm starting to get better but I pretty much lock myself in my room or go out on the bad days!

@KABB, thank you for that! My dad who likes to pride himself on his knowledge of things wasn't even aware of that, neither was I! Thank you for educating me on that. I'll be sure to speak with my coffee company directly!

#16 of 18 Old 04-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Reading this made me smile. I was up way too late being freaked out last night thinking that I had already damaged my baby. I drink coffee daily but only 1 cup or if I really think I 'need' another it has been hours and hours since the first one. I have taken 1 ibuprofen and eat more sugar than is good for me. I would rather drink a cup of coffee than a diet coke...

#17 of 18 Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 AM

I just started a cup of coffee again....I was soo tired and sick that I can't function....makes for unhappy kiddos!

I forced down a cup of coffee the other day...could not stand the smell or the taste! BUT I felt great!!!!!!

no gas- no morning sickness-not tired!!!!!!!!

so I tried it again today....working awesome!!!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#18 of 18 Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post
 It's much harder when it's your first, and you are basically being scared into sitting on the couch all day drinking water and doing Kegel exercises. 

Oh that made me laugh!!!!

My first pregnancy I was super vigilant about everything I ate.

This time? A bit of tea or coffee,  a beer on the hottest day of summer, a piece of sushi.....I am not going to worry about these things.   And I am certainly not going to veer into worrying about listeria on vegetables, or soft serve machines.  

Women and their babies have survived pregnancy in FAR less hygienic and nutritious circumstances than ours!  I will do what I can, take lots of supplements, eat good whole foods,,...and keep the "bad stuff" in moderation.   I'm sick of the hyper paranoid commands and guidelines for pregnant women in NA, so out of skew with what the rest of the world consider adequate precautions.

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page