Chat Thread: 4/10-4/16 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 04-16-2011, 11:16 AM
~pi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, after deciding to wear maternity pants last night, I was asked if I was pregnant. Because you just don't wear these type of pants otherwise. (I did not realize it was quite so obvious. But I was clambering on play equipment at a kid's birthday party and apparently the elastic waistband gave it away.) Sigh. So it's clearly time to start telling. We told DS last night (very fun) and he told my mom this morning on the phone.

Nicole, hoping for all the best for you.

capretta, my 2 cents: I wouldn't worry about telling now, but if you're worried, it's also reasonable to wait. Is this her first? IME, most women are a little more fussy about these things with their first. (No offense to first time mamas here, it just seems to be how it goes.) So if it's her first, I would be more likely to consider waiting. But really, I doubt it would matter.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#32 of 50 Old 04-16-2011, 11:37 AM

We're going to my husband's grandma's house for Easter, like every year.  Cousin just had a baby a week and a half ago.  Easter will be baby's first outing.  Normally I'd be announcing our pregnancy at Easter, but not this day.  Not on her baby's day.  She gets this one.  I guess my advice is to take it as it comes - don't announce at a gathering for the new baby.  You'll find a good place, because you already care.  If you were a jerk you wouldn't be worrieda bout it. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#33 of 50 Old 04-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Thanks ~pi and Jane for your perspectives. This will be SIL's second. We're still abroad, so we won't be around for any family gatherings. Our "announcement" will consist of a few phone calls.
#34 of 50 Old 04-16-2011, 06:07 PM

baby is doing well with a 150 hb!!!!!!

My mw will come next sat. too. This is probably the week in my pg where I lost Emeric so a bit nerve wracking.

I will at least sleep tonight. No promises for the rest of the week. :)

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#35 of 50 Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 PM

I never would have minded someone stealing my baby's 'thunder'. I always prefer to keep them to myself. ;) But, then again, my IL's loooove babies and I would rarely see mine when we were with them. Especially my first. If anything though, I bet the baby would steal YOUR thunder. lol

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#36 of 50 Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 PM

That thought had occurred to me too. Frankly, we wouldn't mind flying under the radar. DH suggested we announce my pregnancy when the sprog turns 18. lol.gif
#37 of 50 Old 04-17-2011, 12:27 AM
~pi

Hooray, Nicole!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capretta View Post
DH suggested we announce my pregnancy when the sprog turns 18. lol.gif

lol.gif If that's how you're feeling, I would definitely hold off. No chance of drama, then, and clearly no hardship to you.

ARGH. I made zucchini muffins with DS Saturday afternoon and had one after dinner Saturday night, meaning to bolus (give insulin with my pump) after about an hour so that the food had a chance to get going first. I've been finding that my insulin is hitting well before the food does these days, which is a) unusual, and b) unpleasant and dangerous. Nearly passing out half an hour after I eat on a regular basis is not my idea of a good time. And stacking boluses (giving a bolus for dinner and then a bolus for the muffin shortly afterward) is especially dangerous for me right now. So fine, I am adapting to the censored.gif pregnancy hormones and am finding ways to deal with this issue. Except when I don't follow through. I fell asleep with DS right after dinner and then woke up at 3 a.m. with high-ish sugars (nothing that I would be too bothered about during normal life -- this is nothing for a type 1 -- but in pregnancy, I don't want to be spending four hours hanging out at 10/180.) So I am now up in the middle of the night, babysitting my sugars for a few hours to make sure they come back in line without dropping too low. Thank goodness it was just one reasonably low-sugar muffin. Gah. I clearly need to experiment with extended or square wave boluses (programming the insulin to release steadily over a certain amount of time) instead of delayed ones (which I desperately wish were a programmed option, but sadly, no), and also need to find a better place to put my CGMS (continuous glucose monitoring system, a sensor I wear that measures my interstitial glucose every 5 minutes) at night so that it will actually wake me up when it starts buzzing.

#38 of 50 Old 04-17-2011, 12:44 AM

~pi: Yikes! I thought the pump made everything automatic, but I guess it's not that simple. Pumps are still pretty new, right? Do you think delayed boluses are something that might come in later generations of the pump?
#39 of 50 Old 04-17-2011, 01:56 AM
~pi

Common misconception. I always explain it to people that insulin pumps are sort of like a manual, external pancreas. You have to tell them what to do. They have no way to know what's going on in your body; they just deliver insulin as they are told to do so. To use a pump effectively, you need to know how your body reacts to all sorts of conditions and situations and program it accordingly. The advantage of the pump (over multiple daily injections) is that you can have a more flexible life and can really fine tune things for the way your body works, but it takes attention and effort. This is especially true during pregnancy. (Thanks, hormones.)

Closed loop systems (where you have both a pump and a sensor to know how the body is reacting, so the system can "think" for itself) are very much the holy grail of the technological approach. (Other people are still hoping/going for a cure, but personally, I think a closed loop system is a way more achievable goal, and one that I will more likely see in my lifetime.) There are a bunch of closed loop systems currently in early trials. Just hazarding a guess, I'd say they are probably a decade away from a marketable system.

I doubt they will add delayed boluses; they are not a common need and it would tough to get that type of feature past most national safety agencies (the FDA and the like.)

STILL babysitting sugars. Very annoyed with myself about this.

Oh, and pumps are relatively new, but not that new. They've been around since the late 70s, but the early versions were enormous and not very flexible. They really got going in the 90s and 00s.

#40 of 50 Old 04-17-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

I had my nt(1.7mm) scan a couple of days ago...measuremnts were good...crl(69.1mm) and bpd(21.3mm) meaured 13 weeks instead of 12...growing fast. hb was151.

My next midwife appt is Wed 20th.

I really should get dressed and get the kids ready for the playgroup Easter party.

My 19 mos dd old is running the living room giggling waving her hand behind her butt and saying I'm stinky....she just farted and thinks that it is hillarious....lol

Oh yeah, did I mention that- I swear I saw a PENIS!!!!!

only time will tell...LOL

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#41 of 50 Old 04-17-2011, 07:04 AM

Ah, I see now. I have a type 1 friend (also a scientist) who very patiently puts up with all of my questions about diabetes and is my primary source for information about the latest research. I'm thinking now that she must have told me about the development of closed-loop pumps and I just got that mixed up with other discussions about her not being able to afford a regular pump.
#42 of 50 Old 04-17-2011, 11:47 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

Oh yeah, did I mention that- I swear I saw a PENIS!!!!!
only time will tell...LOL

So exciting!!

capretta, I feel for your friend. I didn't have coverage for a pump until quite recently. I got my first one out of pocket on a grad student stipend, which was hurt a lot, financially. (I had coverage for the $300/month in supplies, just not for the $6k pump.) I'm just glad I had enough flexibility to be able to do it at all. Lots of people don't, and if they are like me (highly variable basal needs) they have to struggle along using methods that are very crude and difficult to match to physical needs. :-( She might want to check into the potential for a used, out of warranty model. I actually planned to donate my last one to someone who needed it, but about a month before I got my new one, I banged the old one on a door, and cracking the screen so that it is no longer readable. Not so useful. It's really too bad, because my old one was the best pump I've ever had. (The company is now out of the pump market due to patent issues, so they don't make it anymore.)

#43 of 50 Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

pi - I'm sorry the blood sugars are being such a pain to manage. I've been learning a lot more about pumps lately as one of the girls in my Girl Guide unit has one - weekend camps have been a crash lesson for us as she is not very good at managing things on her own. Here in Ontario (I'm not sure about the rest of Canada) children under 18 are given one pump free. It's quite a process to get the approval & includes a course the family has to take.

The weather here has been AWFUL & it is destroying my motivation for everything. All I want to do is crawl in bed. It doesn't help that ds is averaging about 9 hours of sleep a night which means I am only get 8 on a good night (I take a LOOONG time to fall asleep) which just is not enough.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#44 of 50 Old 04-17-2011, 12:21 PM

Wow, the pump tracking sounds incredibly complicated and frustrating.  I'm so sorry you're having trouble fine-tuning it all these days!  I hope it works out soon!

Announcing pregnancy:  I'm not sure in this particular case.  I think maybe I'd go with before she has her baby, to make sure you aren't inadvertently stealing the attention away from a newborn baby.  I don't really have a close similar experience, but I remember when I announced the pregnancy of my 3rd baby, it was at a family reunion.  Everyone was so excited for me, which was nice.  But I found out more than a month later that my SIL was also pregnant, and due about 6 weeks before me.  She said she decided not to tell at the same time I did, so she wouldn't steal any attention from me - but I would have been SO thrilled to have someone to talk to in a similar experience during our reunion, and to get excited about having cousins close in age for the next time we got together... I felt sad that she held back for my sake.  I didn't want the attention, I wanted the support from family.  But, you're talking about a SIL that is very different from you.  While my SIL and I aren't particularly close, she is an extremely kind and upbeat person, so I always feel comfortable around her.  Your situation and my situation are probably completely different because of timing as well as personalities, but I wanted to offer it anyway.

Mamas, I think I've really felt the baby move the past couple days!  It's so sweet.  :)  I like these soft little barely-there movements.  I'm sure once I'm 9 months pregnant and the kicks are on my pelvic floor or in my ribs, I won't be so happy, but for now it's so fun.  :)  When I went to my midwife appointment on Tuesday, we couldn't pin the baby down long enough to get a heartbeat count - the little guy/gal was moving around way too much!  My midwife did her best to chase it down for a few minutes, and after about 2-3 seconds of solid heartbeat, guessed it was around 150 beats per minute.  It was strange at that point to know the little baby was moving around SO much, but I wasn't feeling it.  But just a few days later, and every now and then, I get the most subtle little bump that's definitely not gas or muscle twitches.  :) :)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#45 of 50 Old 04-17-2011, 06:24 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

pi - I'm sorry the blood sugars are being such a pain to manage. I've been learning a lot more about pumps lately as one of the girls in my Girl Guide unit has one - weekend camps have been a crash lesson for us as she is not very good at managing things on her own. Here in Ontario (I'm not sure about the rest of Canada) children under 18 are given one pump free. It's quite a process to get the approval & includes a course the family has to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post

Wow, the pump tracking sounds incredibly complicated and frustrating.  I'm so sorry you're having trouble fine-tuning it all these days!  I hope it works out soon!

Thanks so much. It's fine, really, it was just one silly mistake. It just frustrated me a lot because I had to be up in the middle of the night for several hours to deal with it. Ah well, such is life. There are worse things.

lifeguard, Ontario funds pumps (and pump supplies, which are also very expensive) for both children and adults. Children under 18 got funded around 2006, I think; adults in 2008. It's one pump every 5 years. My experience with the pump I got in Ontario was pretty painless, but I was already pumping, so I basically just had to have my endo fill out a form and then sit through one two-hour session about things I already knew. No big deal.

That's scary about your camper. It can be a hard thing, even if you know what you're doing. You can do everything right and still have numbers that go wonky. Hopefully her parents are giving you and your co-leaders plenty of guidance.

Quote:
Mamas, I think I've really felt the baby move the past couple days!  It's so sweet.  :)  I like these soft little barely-there movements.  I'm sure once I'm 9 months pregnant and the kicks are on my pelvic floor or in my ribs, I won't be so happy, but for now it's so fun.  :)

I have felt some flutters, too. I don't like to say for sure until I am positive, but I am pretty sure at this point. love.gif

#46 of 50 Old 04-17-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:

Announcing pregnancy:  I'm not sure in this particular case.  I think maybe I'd go with before she has her baby...

No longer an option. orngbiggrin.gif Thanks everyone for the advice. I think we'll wait a little while and just enjoy the buzz around our new nephew.
#47 of 50 Old 04-17-2011, 11:29 PM

We're waiting until we know boy/girl for the big announcement.  Perhaps that will work for you?  Or, are you not finding out, I can't remember. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#48 of 50 Old 04-18-2011, 12:09 AM

Yup, I think we'll probably know sex by the time we announce. Actually, we've been going through a minor ordeal here. We went in for an amnio based on first-tri screening results and the second doc told us that the first-tri results didn't make any sense (either MoMs are wrong or the calculated risk is). So we're holding off on amnio; doing a quad screen and detailed ultrasound instead.
#49 of 50 Old 04-18-2011, 05:38 AM

My boss asked me when I was going to start telling people.  I told her long enough to make them really wonder whether I was fat or pregnant.  I don't know, I just don't like telling people.  It seems like once you do, it is the ONLY thing that ever comes up, maybe especially beause it is our first, and I feel really (maybe irrationally) private about it all.

In other news: Nose bleeds.  I've never gotten them before unless osmething hit me in the face (which happens a lot given my clumsiness and desire to appear athletic), but now I've started getting them fairly regularly.  My last blood work a couple weeks ago showed all my levels are good, I'm not anemic.  Any preventive remedies that the doc is failing to mention?  They gross me out a bit.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#50 of 50 Old 04-18-2011, 06:09 AM

as far as telling people.... my body decided for me. People were staring at me funny around 10 wks but by 12 wks they were like "why didn't you tell us you were pg". When I told them I was only 12 wks and was hoping to wait until after we passed the 17 wk mark most of responded with well the secret is out. Plus I like the support. Most people really could care less that I am pg though, after a billion pg announcements it just isn't exciting anymore.

Hope everyone is doing well and babies are all ticking right along.

I have an entire week off work and am hoping to get a few things done and get my house in order.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page