Chat Thread: 4/10-4/16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's *really* late this week, sorry!

I hope everyone is having a fantastic week so far!

I was out of the state all weekend again, in Michigan dealing with all that court stuff I talked about a couple weeks ago that was stressing me out. Everything went pretty good and it should ease my stress a lot in the next 6 months. The only iffy thing I'm not too happy about is I have to get ds up to Michigan (a 7 hour drive without too many stops) the last weekend in October (I'm due October 12th). And then I have to be back up in Michigan again November 8th for another court hearing. I'm kinda bummed about that, because it's going to cause a lot of stress if I have a bad delivery and need longer than a week or two to recover, but there's not much I can do about it. I also have to take ds to Michigan in June and August, but those won't as bad as going right after delivery.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#2 of 50 Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Can you take the train and rent a car there?  That would at least give you space to walk around a bit.  And allow your husband to take care of you instead of driving. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#3 of 50 Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Ah, Steph, that would make me pretty stressed out too.  That's a lot of uncertainty to deal with at a time when you'd like to be home babymooning.  Here's to hoping that it all works out in the end!

AFM:  I've been so worried about the baby and needing some reassurance (apparently the barfing and constant food aversions and growing belly are not enough to quell my fears) so I bit the bullet and called my midwife today and asked if I could come do a quick doppler check because my next appointment isn't until the end of the month.  They fit me in, bless their busy souls, and the heartbeat was a lovely 145 bpm and now I feel a lot better. 

I think because I'm a paramedic and I rarely see healthy pregnancies, I'm always keenly aware of the potential problems.  My midwife assured me today that the chances are very low that something bad would happen at this point, but that's hard for me to grasp because I see complications all. the. time. 

I need to take some Rescue Remedy and get a grip!

How's everyone else?  I'm still barfing.  This does not please me.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#4 of 50 Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 AM

Yesterday I interviewed the licenced midwife group and I think I'm going to go with them instead of my lay midwife. That way, if my bp is high at the end, and I don't get my homebirth, then at least I can have some cool midwives in the hospital with me. They seemed really nice, and I can't wait to go back with the rest of the family and hear the heartbeat with all of us there.

I am so happy to be finished with nausea and barfing!

I finally got to get some dental work done last week, though, and had a tooth removed which has been really hurting as it heals.. no fun.

My son is almost over the chicken pox, glad to have all that out of the way. This week is spring break and we are just staying home, taking it easy.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#5 of 50 Old 04-13-2011, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Oh, Steph, that's pretty miserable.

We just told everyone in the last couple of days. I like to wait (I'm 11 weeks) because I once had a miscarriage and had told everyone already. Our people are excited; I was really surprised and happy with the responses being so positive.

One weird thing happened, though. In spring and summer I garden for some clients to make extra $, and I'd told one of them I'd only be able to do it for the spring and then DH would take over, due to my pregnancy. I told her it was early days and not to tell anybody yet. We have a mutual friend, Hilarie, who is a garden designer that popped by this client's house for a consult. When the client told me this later, she specifically said she hadn't told Hilarie about the pg. But when I told Hilarie this weekend she said that the client had told her. It's weird to be lied to! By an old lady. Made me feel really strange. Not that I mind Hilarie knowing, but being lied to is pretty strange. Also, Hilarie told a bunch of our friends because she thought I had surely already told them. So weird and adolescent...

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#6 of 50 Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 AM

Steph, that sure is lousy timing. I'm sorry your ex is being such a pain in the backside. I think the train suggestion is a great idea!

starling&diesel, I'm glad hearing the heartbeat set your mind at ease a bit! Isn't it amazing, how that sound can lift your spirit?! I hope the barfing ends soon. My own morning sickness has only just now reached the point where I can say it is gone, and I am 15 weeks and 4 days today. So hang in there, it will happen!

AFM, I am battling a nasty cold at the moment. I think I have a sinus infection and quite possibly an ear infection and a touch of bronchitis as well. I have a doctor's appointment today (I am their resident charity case at the moment, until my healthcare kicks in... it's really sweet, the way they take care of me) and I think at this point my only option is antibiotics. I've tried every home remedy I can think of, everything that includes honey, lemon, onions, salt water, steaming, Vicks, and whatever else I could find, but it's not getting any better. I haven't had a decent night's sleep since Thursday, so something needs to be done. 

I hope everybody is doing well and having a good week!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#7 of 50 Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

Can you take the train and rent a car there?  That would at least give you space to walk around a bit.  And allow your husband to take care of you instead of driving. 

Unfortunately that's not an option around here. I think our plan is to wait and see when the baby is born and how recovery is going. If it's going well then all 4 of us (dh, ds, the baby and myself) will make the trip at the end of October. If recovery isn't going well or the baby is 2 weeks late (thus is less than a week old at the end of October) then dh will take ds to Michigan and I'll stay home with the baby (my inlaws live 5 minutes away so will help out with whatever I need). For the November court hearing I think we'll have dh stay home with ds and I'll go to Michigan with the baby and one or both of dh's parents to help me. It's not an ideal situation, but there's not much I can do other than try to make the best of it.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#8 of 50 Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Iris, I really hope you are feeling better soon! There should be some sort of exemption from getting sick while pregnant.

#9 of 50 Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dear abbey View Post

Iris, I really hope you are feeling better soon! There should be some sort of exemption from getting sick while pregnant.

I totally agree! It doesn't seem fair that during pregnancy you're MORE susceptible to getting sick instead of less. irked.gif

I had my appointment and I am very torn. My doc (also pregnant, one week behind me due-date-wise) said it's a virus, and so antibiotics are pointless. So instead I am to use a nasal rinse device several times a day, take Tylenol for the pain, get lots of fluids and lots of rest. In other words, use my common sense and take it easy. Part of me is bummed out because I was hoping for some killer antibiotics to blast this bug to smithereens and be done with it, but the other part of me is thrilled to have a doctor who thinks proactively and constructively, and doesn't just whip out a prescription pad. I guess I'm more happy than bummed at this point lol. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#10 of 50 Old 04-13-2011, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My allergies have totally kicked up & now I'm constipated again which apparently is miserably painful for me. It's awful. I'd love to just feel like a normal person for a bit.

Anyone else really starting show. My belly is so round & obvious it's ridiculous - especially considering how chunky I already am.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#11 of 50 Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

My allergies have totally kicked up & now I'm constipated again which apparently is miserably painful for me. It's awful. I'd love to just feel like a normal person for a bit.

Anyone else really starting show. My belly is so round & obvious it's ridiculous - especially considering how chunky I already am.

So sorry about your allergies.  :( :( 
My midwife has me taking a calcium/magnesium supplement.  She hopes it will help prevent constipation along with other dietary measures (like plenty of fiber and water, etc.), because I have a history of bad hemorrhoids.  This is something new for me, so I hope it works!  Maybe you could ask about something like that from your care provider.

In the past 5 days I've had a stranger ask if I'm pregnant, and a pretty big handful of friends exclaim quite suddenly that I've "popped".  My favorite was my daughter's 1st grade teacher - she took one look at me, did a GIANT double-take, and in the most surprised voice ever "Oh my GOSH!  You didn't look like that last week!!!  You've gotten so round!"   So I guess it's definitely getting pretty obvious.  ;)  And yeah, I started out overweight, so I'm surprised it's gotten obvious like that.  I have a friend who hid it pretty easily until well into her second trimester, and she's in my same boat for weight.  I guess people just carry differently!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#12 of 50 Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 AM

Well my belly has been obvious for weeks! LOL!

How is the naming going for you all? I know that once we know the sex it will be easier but we are having a hard time with it. Boy names seem especially hard. With DD I loved her name and had it chosen for years! it feels weird not to be "sure" of names this time around. I love when I suggest a name and DH tells me to save it for a dog or a goat! I'll have a whole herd of goats with baby reject names! ROTFLMAO.gif

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#13 of 50 Old 04-14-2011, 12:14 PM
~pi

My sympathy to those dealing with sickness and allergies. greensad.gif

Steph, ugh. I hope you can manage the travel without too much stress.

starling&diesel, that's so great about the heartbeat! And how lovely to have supportive midwives. love.gif I can totally see how paramedic experience would really distort your sense of risk. (That's actually a highly documented thing for people in general, including people who work in health care. When you see bad cases, you think of the bad cases as more likely.)

Saamy, that's wonderful you found someone you like and feel comfortable with!

Rosemary, that's so odd. Any chance this woman has early stage dementia or something like that? She may have told and completely forgotten that she did so. (Or she could just be a gossip.) Sorry you had to deal with that junior high sort of situation!

Re: showing, it's so interesting to hear that so many of us are showing to others! I am right at the beginning of the DDC and this is my second, but I am not obviously showing yet. I look like I've gained a little weight, but you cannot tell that it's baby-related yet. (Part of that could be that I am not wanting to show, so I have thus far not moved into maternity clothes and am just sticking to looser tops and the two pairs of pants and skirts that I can still squeeze into. I had a couple of multiple-day-long job interviews recently and was very thankful to have one nice skirt that still zipped all the way up. Blazers also figured prominently in my apparel those days.)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#14 of 50 Old 04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
I love when I suggest a name and DH tells me to save it for a dog or a goat! I'll have a whole herd of goats with baby reject names! ROTFLMAO.gif

lol.gif We are not really talking about names seriously until we find out the sex. (We didn't find out with DS, and I am actually really excited about doing that this time.)

#15 of 50 Old 04-14-2011, 03:03 PM

I am dreading the name game... DH and I rarely agree on names, it is a miracle that we managed to name two children prior to this one without coming to blows. I have one I really like for a girl, I can't really think of anything I really like for a boy, and when I told DH my girl suggestion, his reaction was virtually non-existent. He said:"Oh." That's not usually a good sign. 

Of course if things do blow up here, I will get to name this babe all by myself... see, there is an upside to everything. winky.gif

#16 of 50 Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Picking names is awful. Dh seems totally uninterested & I've just stopped trying to discuss until we know the sex - at least then we have something to focus on.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#17 of 50 Old 04-14-2011, 08:40 PM

Hi....joining in....innocent.gif  

My DP has also been pretty disinterested in names, he even said to me recently "I dont care what it's name is, as long as its not bad." LMAO!!!!! I started throwing out names every now and then and I think he realized that our idea of 'bad' is a little different. Hehehe. So this week he is actually starting to throw out names of his own liking. 

Then I started realizing I kinda liked the thought of no argument to the name.....same as snugglebugmom. Double edged sword I guess. haha

I think I am starting to pop too! I tried on my fave fat jeans today and they wouldnt even do the rubberband trick, love it!!!!

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#18 of 50 Old 04-14-2011, 08:46 PM

I agree, naming seems so hard at this point.  I feel like I have to find THE ONE perfect name, and anything I think of, even old favorites, just doesn't work.  

On the constipation front, I had it real bad a few weeks ago, but a daily dose of 1/2 teaspoon psyllium husk in water is working really well for me.

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#19 of 50 Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
~pi

Had MW appointment today, and got to hear the heartbeat, which completely put me on cloud nine. love.gif

#20 of 50 Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 PM

I am going to jump in here too...

I will be 13 wks tomorrow. I have been in maternity clothes for 2 wks now. At 8 wks people were starting to ask, so yeah I am definately showing. My first official midwife appt. was last sat. and we got to hear the hb and everthing looked good. My uterus is huge and I had lost 2 lbs so we are keeping an eye on that. My mw is awesome and is going to come over weekly for hb checks until I feel regular movement. That should help ease my mind a bit.

Physically I am doing allright. It was 1 wk between barfing and it had been a few times a day so the weekly thing will probably continue for a little while. I feel nausous in the evenings still and that sucks bcs that is the time that I get to be with MY kids (I am a nanny during the day until the end of june) and that is when I feel the worst:(.

Emotionally I have a great deal of anxiety and hope that I can kick it at some point in the pg. (just probably not before 20 wks). I am just trying to focus on the fact that my baby is alive and well right now and be greatful for that and not think about tomorrow, next week, or oct.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#21 of 50 Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 AM

I had my nt(1.7mm) scan a couple of days ago...measuremnts were good...crl(69.1mm) and bpd(21.3mm) meaured 13 weeks instead of 12...growing fast. hb was151.

My next midwife appt is Wed 20th.

I really should get dressed and get the kids ready for the playgroup Easter party.

My 19 mos dd old is running the living room giggling waving her hand behind her butt and saying I'm stinky....she just farted and thinks that it is hillarious....lol

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#22 of 50 Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
~pi

OK, I am still not showing (I just look like I've been enjoying the Easter candy a little too much) but I pulled out my maternity clothes today and put on my favourite pair of maternity pants and OH MY GOODNESS THEY ARE SO COMFORTABLE. It's time. It may not look like it yet, but it's clearly time.

#23 of 50 Old 04-15-2011, 12:43 PM

I wish I actually had some maternity clothes. I have a couple of pairs of fat pants from before I lost some weight. Right now they are still too big, but in a few weeks they will probably fit. We're not really in a good place money-wise at the moment, so I lack the funds to buy some regular maternity stuff. 

#24 of 50 Old 04-15-2011, 12:47 PM

While not noticably showing, I've so been in maternity clothes all week.  I couldn't button any of my pants and the rubber band just wasn't cutting it either.  I'm so much more comfortable and look much less like I've been hitting the Cadberry's!  Before, I was coming to work in sweatpants.  My workplace is casual, but not THAT casual!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#25 of 50 Old 04-15-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

I wish I actually had some maternity clothes. I have a couple of pairs of fat pants from before I lost some weight. Right now they are still too big, but in a few weeks they will probably fit. We're not really in a good place money-wise at the moment, so I lack the funds to buy some regular maternity stuff. 

I really lucked out and got some great maternity clothes for freecycle...I can't afford them either :(

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#26 of 50 Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 PM

I've seen quite a few listings on Craigslist, too!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#27 of 50 Old 04-15-2011, 02:12 PM

I bought one pair of jeans, and my mom sent me 2 new tops, but everything else I've gotten second-hand.  It has been really nice- I was daunted about the idea of having to pick out a new wardrobe, let alone the price of it... Now I have a ton of clothes- including more than I'll actually wear.  My cousin is also pregnant, so I'm going to have her over to do a maternity clothes swap.  I found the clothes on a local mom's group, as well as craigslist.  I've spent total about $300, and bought clothes from 5 different women, but now I absolutely have a TON of clothes. 

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#28 of 50 Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Names, shmames.  Bah.

We have a few that we're tossing around, but we can't seem to agree on anything.

I've used all my favourite names on characters in my books, so I can't use those.

We likely won't find out the sex, so will have to look at all kinds of names until the babe is born.

Sue ... Our dog is called Charlie, which is short for Charlotte, which is what I wanted to name E, but DP vetoed it because she knew a Charlotte who she didn't like. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#29 of 50 Old 04-15-2011, 03:27 PM

I got a pair of brand new liz lange maternity slacks (I needed something for church) at goodwill for $3.74!!!! I don't need anything else though as I have been pg so many times (and my dad loves to shop) so I have plenty of stuff. Although some of it is a bit outdated and I need to weed through it.

We really don't discuss names until the end as we never agree and when we have a few picked out that isn't typically what we name the baby anyways. We hope to find out the sex this time so that should make it a bit easier.

I have a quick hb check tomorrow with my m/w and I am a little nervouse but not like I was about last weeks appt. I will keep you ladies posted.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#30 of 50 Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 AM

On heartbeats, joy.gif starling & ~pi!

On maternity clothes, it's getting a little ridiculous here. For things I am willing to wear in public I'm down to 1 pair of knit pants and 2 pairs of jeans with hair band and I'm really not a fan of the hair band trick. :/ Two more weeks 'til I'm back in the states, but I think I might have to go shopping before then.

And an etiquette question for you all: My SIL is pregnant and due next week and, as it happens, next week is when we will likely be ready to announce my pregnancy. Would it be better to wait a week or two after she gives birth? We're in no real hurry. Background: My SIL aren't very close. We don't argue or anything, we just don't have much in common. She is very mainstream and I'm, well, socially awkward sometimes. I have difficulty anticipating how she will react to things. For example, I sent her several homemade/rustic gifts before realizing she's not really into that sort of thing. I can't imagine caring about anyone else's pregnancy announcement when I am about to give birth; I'm just trying to be sensitive to my fellow preggo's feelings! WWYD?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page