Sleeping on your back? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you avoiding sleeping on your back? I sometimes fall asleep on my back, though I rarely stay that way for very long. I was just reading that "This can cause problems with backaches, breathing, digestive system, hemorrhoids, low blood pressure and decrease in circulation to your heart and your baby." But I wonder how much it matters at this stage (16wks) and, since it's getting less and less comfortable, is it really something that I have to worry about now or will I just stop doing it naturally? How much harm this really did to pregnant women before they had the APA to tell them not to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 12:01 PM

I've heard to stop at 4 months. I'm 14 weeks and haven't stopped, but i'm just not very comfortable in that position. I'm mostly sleeping on my side with a body pillow under my belly and between my legs.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 04-16-2011, 12:20 PM
~pi

This was a big concern for me in my first pregnancy, as I roll around a lot in my sleep and have very little control over what position I sleep in. Everyone I talked to about this, from midwives to academic OBs, said that if being on my back was comfortable for me and didn't make me feel dizzy, it was fine. I did find that as the pregnancy progressed, I was more comfortable on my side, preferably with a great big body pillow.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 04-16-2011, 05:48 PM

My doctor told me that I can. He also said that sleeping on your left side is no different than the right. He said that it is an old wives tale that you can't. IDK. headscratch.gif I was sleeping with a Boppy body pillow,(which I bought because I thought we had to sleep on side) thinking it would be a healthier allignment but was waking up with my knees throbbing in pain......for weeks. I stopped using it and the pain is gone!!!!!! Amazing!  I think we are all different. Back sleeping became uncomfortable for me weeks and weeks ago. Short of breath and dizzy.

User Tag List