Chat Thread: 4/24-4/30 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those who celebrate- Happy Easter!

For everyone- have a fantastic week!

In the last thread there was talk about weight gain- is anyone else not weighing themselves? I don't have a scale at home anymore (dh took it to work because he and his boss were/are having some sort of competition to see who loses more weight). So I only get weighed at my appointments..... and I'm a little scared of those. LOL! Thankfully I did lose some weight at the beginning, but then I started gaining and I'm a little afraid of how much I've gained so far. With ds I gained over 60lbs. I'm really hoping to avoid that this time.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#2 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 AM

I gained 60 lbs with my first too. And then probably 30 with my second. Hopefully I'll be more on track with my second this time around. I don't typically weigh myself though. It's not something I focus on.

So, I went to bed feeling all full and yucky last night (typical of night time for me) and ended up getting up to be sick. Blah. I felt much better afterward though.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate. We celebrate a secular Easter here. We're headed to MIL's house for an egg hunt and lunch. :)

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#3 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 PM

I don't have a scale at home, but I lost 9lbs (!) between my 8 wk and 12 wk appointments and then gained it all back by 17 wks! I sure hope I don't continue to gain at that rate.

I'm trying not to worry too much about it though. Hopefully, that was just bouncing back from being sick. And if I think about it in other terms, I gained nothing in weeks 1-17!
#4 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 PM

I'm pretty quickly gaining back the weight I lost, I didn't start weighing until my doctors told me to keep track of it.  I tend to avoid scales and go off how I feel, how my clothes fit.  This has been trickier to guess, because even though I lost weight, I still couldn't button my pre-preg jeans!

Otherwise, I have spent the day in bed.  My near-perfect blood sugar run during this pregnancy came to an end this morning when I had high ketones and was 270.  Not too alarming for a type one, though I haven't seen the like in seventeen weeks, but I haven't been able to get below 200 and still have high ketones eight hours later, despite doing about 45 units via injection and about 45 on my pump.  My normal daily dose is about 40, so if it doesn't snap out of it soon I think I'm going to go to the hospital and see if they can work some magic.  The blood sugar doesn't worry me as much as the ketones.  I'm staying hydrated though.  woot.  

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#5 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 02:03 PM
~pi

Ack, livacreature. 90u with a usual TDD of 40? Whoa.

Any chance the insulin has gone off? Have you tried a new bottle? I'm guessing it isn't a set issue since injection didn't fix it, so the insulin is always next on my list. (Bad insulin has only happened to me twice in nearly 30 years, but that's more than zero.)

Ketones make it so difficult to get back down. Having 90 units of stacked boluses on board is really scary, though. Do you have someone there with you in case you start crashing hard?

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#6 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Yep, got DH here, has been resting, and we're ready to be up all night fighting lows.  Have tried different viles, about 60/40 split.  No more ketones so hopefully I'll be stabilizing soon.  I'm just so frustrated.  I've been so lucky so far, and this has just been absolutely out of the blue.  

#7 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 02:23 PM
~pi

Oh, good. Hooray for no more ketones and for having a supportive partner. That makes everything so much easier.

The out of the blue highs are very frustrating. As I understand it, they are related to hormones, placental growth, etc. I've had two already with no apparent rhyme or reason to them, one in the middle of the night, which was extremely annoying. No ketones, fortunately, so they were easier to correct quickly. You must be miserable with ketones on top of the pregnancy nausea you've been having. Ugh. Wishing you a smooth trip back to level.

#8 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

livacreature - that must be so disconcerting. I hope you can figure it all out quickly.

As for the scale - we have one & I step on it much too often. I most definitely have a bad relationship with the scale but quite frankly getting rid of it makes me very anxious. When I am without access to a scale I most definitely feel uncomfortable. I know this is not good but it is what it is right now.

Any ideas for constipation? This is getting old & the things I've tried haven't worked.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#9 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Any ideas for constipation? This is getting old & the things I've tried haven't worked.

Psyllium husk works for me.  It's the active ingredient in Metamucil.  Maybe you've tried it, though?  It's a little bit vile to drink. 

I haven't been weighing myself.  I'd rather not gain much weight, since I'm overweight to begin with, but I can't really see myself going without when I'm growing a babe.  I lost a few pounds between my 8 and 12 week appointments, but that could easily have been just due to the aforementioned psyllium husk.  I feel like I haven't been ridiculously hungry, but we'll see for real at my next appointment on Tuesday.  :D

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#10 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

liveacreature ... Stable sugar vibes coming your way, hon! dust.gif

weigh-ins ... Not a one!  My midwives don't require it, and I have such epic history with body hate that I don't want to go anywhere near one.  I know I need to gain the minimum, but likely won't succeed at that (although 16 weeks of nausea and vomiting might 'help' in that department), so I just need to focus on eating a balanced diet and keep moving.

I went for a long bike ride with dd and the dog in the trailer yesterday, and it was awesome on the way there, but I sure felt oogy coming back home.  My belly is definitely in the way, so I had to pedal with my knees out to the sides, and then dd and the dog just seemed to get heavier and heavier and heavier.  But we went on a great adventure and found a park and playground that we'd never been to.  It was a beautiful day by the ocean, and except for the grueling ride home, it was a lovely day!  Earlier we went to the Easter train, which DD loved.  We skipped the egg hunt because we thought it'd be lost on dd.  We also went shopping for my DP's 40th birthday present ... a Harley!  She's wanted one her whole life, and I figure it's now or never!  Totally crazy, but life is short!

Oh, and on the subject of barfing, it seems to be getting a bit better.  Day two without hurling, and haven't gagged since yesterday.  Here's hoping that lasts! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#11 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 PM

I don't own a scale here at the house so I never know how much I weigh til I go to the MW's house.  She doesn't make a big deal about what you do or don't gain so I'm happy about that.  So far I've only gained a single pound though so that makes me happy.  I'm finding myself really scared to get anywhere close to 200lbs.  I don't know why.  I'm 146 right now, but I gained 60lbs with my 1st child and if I gain 60lbs this time OMG.  That will be about 25lbs above my largest EVER.  I don't know why the thought scares me so much...  maybe because I've worked so hard to get back down to the 140's and then ended up unexpectedly pregnant??  Ack.  Que sera, sera!!!!

Anywho.  Had a wondermous easter.  We celebrate a secular easter with all the eggs, goodies, and food.  It was YUMMY!  And now I'm stuffed and probably weigh 10 more lbs ;) 

I'm getting pleasantly round and I'm loving it.  I never feel more beautiful than when I'm pregnant, even on the days I feel run down and worn out.  I'm still a goddess.  So I'm loving seeing how I'm growing as the days go by.  <3

That's about it on my end.  :)  Hope everyone has a fantabulous week!

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#12 of 78 Old 04-24-2011, 11:50 PM

livacreature: How are you doing now? Better, I hope.

I do the same, “go off how I feel, how my clothes fit,” and had the same problem. My friend insisted I was losing weight, but my pants just kept getting tighter and tighter and I couldn’t see any difference, so I was surprised at how much I lost.

starling: Yay for another lovely day and for less vomiting!

Happy Birthday to your DP. Will/did you throw a big party?
#13 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 12:05 AM
~pi

starling, a very happy 40th to your DP! If you are comfortable with it, I recommend raising your seat for pregnancy cycling. I cycled to and from grad school, medical appointments, etc. through 35 weeks with DS until I got tired of being yelled at (cycling around Toronto was always a treat, but the comments I got when pregnant were extra special), and notching the seat up helped to avoid the belly in the way problem.

#14 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 AM

livacreature, I hope you're feeling better! I take my hat of to those of you struggling with anything other than "normal" pg related issues. Just keeping head above water with the severe nausea and vomiting takes its toll on me at times.

Starling, happy birthday to your partner!

AFM, I don't weigh myself regularly. I'm overweight already and I don't want to worry about every kilogram I gain. My clothes are feeling tighter already, which is freaking me out. With my other pregnancies I didn't have to worry about tighter clothes until the third trimester. The last time I weighed myself I was up 1kg (2.2 lbs) and that was about 2 weeks ago.
#15 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Hope you're feeling better, liveacreature.

I had a MW appt today and it went very well. She found the bean's heartbeat immediately and it was beautiful. I also got to schedule my ultrasound for 2 weeks from today. SO EXCITED!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#16 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM

liveacreature  - Hope you are doing better!

16 weeks today! I went shopping for maternity clothes this weekend while I was home visiting family. I had to laugh my butt off at the "7 months" pregnant pillow they had in the dressing room to help you see if the clothes will fit or not. I put it on top of my 4 month pregnant belly and thought - "There, that might be 7 months." I would just hate for a first time mom to use that as any kind of indication of how big she will get, because it may cause body image issues when she is bigger.

DS and I went home to see my family this past weekend. I decided I may never fly without DH again. DS thought it was funny to run away from me while we were in the line for TSA. I finally put him in the Ergo which he hates these days for some reason.

I have a midwife appointment on Friday, looking forward to it.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#17 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 12:41 PM

16 weeks today! Had a dr appt which went well. I love hearing that heartbeat. A nice steady 148 bpm! We scheduled our ultra sound for May 10th. I can't wait! I'm dying to know the sex of this bean! 

DH left town today and will be back Friday. DD and I will be having ourselves a girls week... complete with take out! :)

Starling: A Harley! Sweet! Do you think she'll be surprised or does she have an idea its coming?

livacreature: Hope you are feeling better!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#18 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 PM

I am feeling much better, thanks!  No crashes or anything, I have no flipping idea what brought it on, but at least it is done for now.

And not one, but TWO people today asked if I was pregnant.  Bwahahahaha. 

#19 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 PM

Bad yucky day today :(

nauseous and belly so sore all down left side....

I will be 14 weeks tomorrow...let the 2T bliss begin....please, please,please

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#20 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 03:28 PM

Saoirse: Lots of second trimester magic dust your way!

#21 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Saoirse ... Many blissful vibes come your way!  dust.gif(And once you receive them can you bounce them back to me?  No 2T bliss here yet.  Still barfing.  Thanks!)

Sue ... I don't think DP has a clue.  She'd never think we could pull it off, but the stars are aligned just so right now and it seems like now or never.  I've been checking her web search history to see what she's scoping out.  I think I'll take her for a birthday breakfast via the Harley dealer and tell her then.  She'll want to pick it out, for sure. 

Capretta ... We're doing a party on Friday (the day before her birthday), with family and friends, and then on her birthday proper I'm taking her to a chic-chic-poo-poo restaurant for dinner.  DP is a chef, so she appreciates the high-end foodie restaurants, even though we don't get to them often. 

Pi ... Did you ride a dutch-style bike while pregnant?  I've got my old mountain bike, and the position is not great.  I might borrow my friend's dutch bike.  She's pregnant too and not confident enough to ride while pregnant. 

Hello to everyone else!  Hope everyone is doing well! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#22 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 03:49 PM

Starling, it sounds like her birthday is going to be amazingly awesome.  It sounds like some serious planning has gone into it.  Lucky lucky! 

#23 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 06:17 PM

liveacreature - glad you are feeling better!

saorise & starling - no more nausea! goodvibes.gif

starling - what a lucky DP!

Up to this point I've stayed the same weight, but it appears that I may have lost 2 lbs this week. I've been eating plenty, so I imagine it must be water weight. I don't think I gained until the 2nd trimester last time either, & I ended up gaining about 30lbs. In any case, you wouldn't know it to look at me.  I swear my belly got bigger overnight .

I've been extremely dizzy today.  My blood pressure is normally on the low side, so I'm assuming it's that.  I don't know if there's much you can really do about it.  I have an OB appt this week so I'm going to make an effort to remember to ask.

#24 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM

My second appointment is tomorrow. At the Birth Center where I go we just weigh ourselves. They do keep track, but I weigh at home and write it on my own chart.

Starling, the birthday sounds beauteous.

I am hanging an art show on Saturday. The paintings are not completely finished yet, but I had an unexpected day off today and DS gone to the sitter's anyway, so I got a LOT of work done. Also, today another of my shows opened at the University of Dayton--my first university solo show ever! I am hoping for good reviews.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#25 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So exciting all the little heartbeats! I am excited for our u/s next week & appt the week after.

diesel&starling - what an exciting gift!

rosemary - that's really neat. What kind of art do you do?

afm - I was in emergency twice today - first thing this morning & I just got home this evening. My asthma kicked up out of nowhere & I could not for the life of me get a full breath. It's strange as my asthma has been really well controlled lately so this totally caught me off guard. We think it could be the stress of all the house stuff (I swear NOTHING is going as smoothly as it could). Anyway, this evening the doctor gave me a short (3 days) set of prednisone. Definitely not ideal but quite frankly not being able to breathe isn't either. Sigh.

2 more sleeps & the house is ours & hopefully most of this stress will calm down.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#26 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 07:51 PM

I wish I could take the time to comment on each individual thought, but please know that I'm reading each and every post eagerly, and thinking of each of you, whether it's frustrating or happy news!

I have been keeping track of my weight, mostly because, before I knew I was pregnant, I started exercising again, and was already eager to watch my progress. As it turns out, I dropped 4 pounds initially, then held steady for a few weeks, and I'm slowly starting to gain again. At this point I'm still 1 pound under my starting weight. I'm glad that it's going slowly - I started out heavier than the end of my last pregnancy (with a 10lb 10oz baby). Two days ago I felt really strange and off - sort of like I was on the very edge of dizziness or something - and I took it easy all day. Today I feel like superwoman, I cleaned nearly the whole house, installed a new printer all by myself, cooked dinner, and hosted a playdate! I haven't had such a productive day in ages, and it feels good. :)

I'm really looking forward to Friday! DH and I are celebrating our 11th anniversary, and FINALLY taking a weekend off together! This will be our first trip away from kids since before we had kids! It's so long overdue. I'm so glad we have kids old enough to handle it, and no newborn this year! They're going to stay with DH's parents for 2 nights, and we're going to head to the Colorado Springs area and enjoy a splurge of a hotel and some sightseeing - looking forward to Garden of the Gods especially! Friday can hardly come fast enough. :)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#27 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Dear Fetus,

I'm glad you're kicking.  It's kinda awesome and all that jazz.  But can you do me a small favor??  Please stay off my bladder.  I'm feeling all the tiny kicks and punches and it makes me think I'm peeing myself every 5-10 minutes.  Thanks hon!

Love,
Mommy

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#28 of 78 Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 PM

Congratulations on the Anniversary Leiahs! Our 9th anniversary was last week.

I don't weigh myself ever, don't own a scale. But now that I am going with the licenced midwives that are more medical I'm guessing they will keep more track of that, we'll see tomorrow, we have our first appt. with the new midwives and the whole family, dh and the kids, are coming to hear the heartbeat.

The semester is ending here, so it's very busy at school, finals start next week, and I've had lots of tests, papers etc.. so far so good, though. Then a brief break and summer semester, I registered to take all my classes this summer online so I can stay home with the kids and swim and get all big and comfortable at home.

Easter was pretty low key here, just easter bunny candy I didn' t even dye eggs with the kids.. just wasnt into it. We aren't terribly religious, so I don't even know why I bother, really. Oh well.

Nothing much else to report, stomach still feels good, I don't feel like I've gained much weight.. it all still doesn't feel real, really. But I am getting excited, we're starting to think about names and all. I have yet to buy or make and baby stuff yet. For one, we are broke students so not much spending $. Just trying to make it to June till the next school money. But baby stuff will accumulate, I'm sure..

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#29 of 78 Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 AM

livacreature: Glad you’re feeling better.

Saoirse: Sorry you aren’t. :/

starling: Oh, I didn’t catch that this was a surprise Harley. That’s awesome. And neat that DP is a chef. yummy.gif Sounds like a great weekend. Have fun!

Rosemary: Congrats and good luck on your shows!

lifeguard: greensad.gif asthma. I’m glad you’re breathing again.

Leiahs: Happy Anniversary!
#30 of 78 Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 AM

Rosemary, great news about your art! I'd love to see some of your work, if you're willing to share.

lifeguard, sorry about your asthma problems. I hope it the prednisone helps.

Leiahs, you sound very productive! I'm kinda a couch potato right now. Congrats on the wedding anniversary! Dh and I celebrated 11 years in January. I hope you have a great time!

AFM, I had my worst morning sickness event yet last night. Let's just say it involved baby poop and my puke. I'll spare the weak stomachs any details. Great day so far today! We spent the afternoon at the beach with the kids and it was very good. smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page