10 POUNDS?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Everyone keeps telling me to get over it I'm pregnant, but at my last OB/GYN appointment they said I had gained 10 pounds since my last visit (a month prior). Is anyone else plumping up? Ugh.

Plus side, we get to find out babys gender at the next visit!!!!!!

Everyone thinks its going to be a boy considering my bump is so low ( I havnt been able to fit into my jeans in over a month, since before the weight gain)

What do you guys think? Is this just a myth?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 AM

I think the 'carrying high' or 'carrying low' is  overall a myth. Not put on the weight yet, but my belly is huge!!!

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 AM

Hi Emilyann,

I'll be 15 weeks tomorrow and I've gained 11 pounds so far- and just about all of it in my belly.  I gained 9 pounds in the first 11 weeks and just 2 pounds in the last 4 weeks.  As a woman, it is always a little hard to see the numbers go up (especially to see such a jump early in my pregnancy- I can easily get into a panic mode of "oh no, if I gain all this weight now, when I'm "barely pregnant," what am I going to do when the baby is the size of a melon and truly growing?!?!").  However, there is no such thing as being barely pregnant- the baby is going through massive growth spurts on its own schedule, and no two pregnancies will have the same pattern of weight gain and growth.  My midwives have really been stressing and encouraging this healthy weight gain. My diet is really good, and though I wasn't underweight before, I was slender, and my body needs this.  It is a little scary at times though, but I trust that my body is gaining weight exactly as it should, and my baby is growing exactly as it should!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

With DS, I gained 13 lbs in the first trimester. Shocking as it was, I did not continue to gain at such a rate the whole time. I agree with Amy May completely.

As for "high" and "low", I don't know. I carried "all in front, and straight out" with DS. That is why everyone said boy, and in my case it was right, but really...I don't put much stock in it.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 AM

I carried low and all in front.  Everyone said boy but I had a little girl.  I do not put much stock in this particular old wives tale.  I think its generally just how you carry and how much amniotic fluid you have.  I had quite low levels and was quite lumpy towards the end :)

Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 PM

I've gained 10 lbs so far too!  I don't remember gaining so much the first time or maybe I was in lala land and didn't think about it.

signcirc1.giffly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif

Proud mom of an inquisitive, breastfeeding, babywearing, cosleeping 9 month old boy and a talkative curious 4 year old girl.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 PM

I went from gaining one pound at my last visit to 8 pounds this visit. SO yeah, A little freaked out to see an 8 pound gain in one month but I'm trying to maintain Amy May's attitude on this.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 04-25-2011, 03:22 PM

I typically gain about 10lbs or so in the first trimester but haven't gained anything at all this pg so I am pretty nervous about not gaining enough. I typically gain between 35 and 40 lbs so I think I just gain a lot in the beginning. By 17 wks I had gained 15 lbs the last time (but I didn't take all of that off yet so maybe I am using that?)

As far as how you carry I think that is bunk. 4 out of my 5 kids I carried down low and out front and the other one I carried all around and higher. I have had 4 boys and 1 girl but my dd was NOT the one that I carried High and around. Why knows.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM

I, too, gained 10 pounds, but I think it's because the only thing I could keep down for the first 3 months were white carbs. Prior to BFP, I had lost 30 pounds on a low-carb plan which was working really well for me because for me, carbs go straight to fat. I'm just really sensitive to them, but it still freaks me out after trying so hard to lose. Like others have said though, your body will gain what it needs for your baby to get what it needs. :o) 

Pregnancy Tickers from WiddlyTinks.com
Old 04-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was gaining quickly too (10 pounds in one month too!)-- I decided to stop eating refined carbs (I still eat lots of whole grains) and junk (no more chocolate croissants ... ugh!!), plus I started walking every day.  My gain leveled out.  I can't afford to gain 10 pounds each month for 9 months!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guy, I hate to say it but I'm glad we're in the same boat. I honestly need to start eating better but I'm glad that its not unhealthy to gain that much. I've recently started walking and I'm trying to eat more fruits and veggies than french fries (which are the only thing I really crave other than tater tots) Its just os hard seeing that number! I finally had gotten down to a size 6 in jeans, and now I cant even button them! Hopefully this 10 pounds in a month wont keep up!

And thanks for the input on the baby bump myth. I'm really hoping for a boy but I dont want to get my hopes up about it. We'll find out May 19th though!

Old 04-29-2011, 03:15 PM

Yup. I think it is a myth. As far as weight gain goes.. I ate more than usual during the first trimester and sat in bed. I gained approx 12lbs the first trimester. In the past month I have made an effort to eat better and since I am FEELING better, I am more active now. So far, the scale has not went up in a month! YAY!

Gotta tell ya though, I was looking back at my fiirst pregnancy photos today. I gained 41 lbs!!! And I was staring at the pics thinking "damn, I looked skinny!" Obviously sometimes we do put on what our body must need. I had started out at 135lbs and I am 5'9". Baby was big too, 8lbs 9oz 22in...lol. She can take some blame too!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 PM

I think its a myth. DS was my first, very high belly like a shelf. DD was second, so low I couldn't even wear the same maternity pants (GAH, that was the ONLY thing I'd saved- my two expensive maternity purchases from #1 of jeans and a pencil skirt.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyann View Post

Everyone thinks its going to be a boy considering my bump is so low ( I havnt been able to fit into my jeans in over a month, since before the weight gain)

What do you guys think? Is this just a myth?

dissertating mom to three

Old 05-08-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Wendy5; You made me feel so much better!!! I just worked so hard to get to a size 6 now I'm having to wear a 10 (still baggy but the only size thats comfortable) I've been trying to be more active but its os hard considering we don't use the AC in my house and its so humid out! Memphis weather is kicking my butt!

Emmaegbert; Thats no good about the maternity clothes! I may just borrow some for now I'm so afraid to buy anything now then be too fat for it later!

Man....I think the weight gain is going to be ther hardest thing to deal with. I know I need to gain it and I will because the baby needs it but I'm so conceited sometimes. The more that scale goes up, the less 'pretty' I feel.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 AM

I'm pretty tiny.  I don't look much bigger.  A lot of people say I barely look pregnant unless I'm wearing a tight tank top.  My midwives don't weigh me, and I don't have a scale, but I though I'd gained about 10, maybe 15 pounds.  At 23 weeks I hopped on their scale in the bathroom.  I had gained 25-28 pounds!  I was really surprised.  I don't mind at all, I actually really like how full and round and bountiful my body feels (except for my very large heavy breasts, which have grown a ton and are quite uncomfortable without a bra now).  I guess what I'm saying is you shouldn't mind the scale.  If you feeling healthy and fit, that's probably a better indicator of healthy weight gain than a scale, or pants buttoning.  

Married to my favorite person (together since '01, married since '05), the hapa papa to my queeuty quapa DD, born 10/11.

We baby wear, co-sleep, cloth diaper, don't vax and intend to nurse for a good long time.  

I don't care what you do as long as it works for your family.

User Tag List