BRAS? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 10-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

FWIW, 2 section cups tend to be less "pointy" than 3 or 4 section, but 3 section is more supportive, which is why you'll see lots of 3 section cups in the big sizes (which means all bras with a band size over 42 or so), and very few of those molded cup T shirt bras. Single section soft cups tend to have no support for larger breasts, which is why they're always sectioned. But you always need to try on because some brands are better than others. Interestingly, underwires are almost impossible to find in my size. It's almost all 3 section soft cups with a support panel at the bottom, and the few underwires that I have seen are pretty cheap and not as well made. (so, while Elomi makes the Caitlyn soft cup in Bs and up, and it's a great bra for the full figured, they don't do the underwire in less than a DD.)

Also, if you need small cup nursing bras, they're really hard to find unless you look online. When I had DD they did not have B cup nursing bras except maybe in the smallest band sizes, which I am not. Luckily, as I said, Anita runs small, so their C cup would have just about worked if my milk had come in at all.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 10-15-2011, 02:14 PM

I, too, was just measured for a nursing bra and was surpised at their suggestion for size. I had a 36 C from Target, I did the fitting myself, ha! Anyway, I was measured by a Hot Milk rep and she gave me a 34 F!!! Eee gads! I had no idea I needed this cup size. I've worn my new bra twice and I have to say, the cup size seems spot on but the band size is tight. I'm gonna try the last clasps tonight and see if it feels better.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#33 of 39 Old 10-16-2011, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

the fitting ladies my usual bra shop (who are very bossy and won't even let you look at the bras... they bring you what they think will work and they are in the room with you "helping"... in a very hands on way... but I have never been able to get such well fitting bras anywhere else since I broke D cup (and then beyond!) in 10th grade) are adamant that you should buy a bra that only fits you on the outer band clasps, because the band will always lose stretch and you will need to move inwards. that is why there are the three sets of clasps, they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahkatiebell View Post

I, too, was just measured for a nursing bra and was surpised at their suggestion for size. I had a 36 C from Target, I did the fitting myself, ha! Anyway, I was measured by a Hot Milk rep and she gave me a 34 F!!! Eee gads! I had no idea I needed this cup size. I've worn my new bra twice and I have to say, the cup size seems spot on but the band size is tight. I'm gonna try the last clasps tonight and see if it feels better.

dissertating mom to three

#34 of 39 Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 PM

It's SO CONFUSING! 

According to this and this, I should be wearing a 36F/FF!  According to this, I should be wearing a 40B.  headscratch.gif

Mostly I've been wearing 38C, though I really don't think they fit well.  But I am just at a loss.

#35 of 39 Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 PM

How is that 38C fitting? That will be a good guide to whether you need to go up or down. I've seen pages screaming against that "add 5" system. Large band, small cup (ie band 40+, cups B or less) is not super common, but it does exist. Because it is uncommon, inexperienced fitters may think they've made a mistake and women themselves can think "No one is this size, and they don't sell it, so it can't be right." I remember you've posted about having IGT before, so in that light, I wouldn't be surprised if you were a 40B (as you know, breast size and milk production don't correlate well, but IManecdotalE, IGT women do seem more likely to have unusually small breasts relative to their size--I sure do.)

The important thing to remember is that cups are relative to band size, so you can find cups that fit in the wrong size by changing the band.

The best thing would be to get professionally measured, but you can definitely get a better fit on your own by examining how your existing bras fit.

If the cups are almost right, slightly large (look for wrinkling at the tops), but the band is tight, you need a 40B. (IME - women who are large band/small cup tend to make EXACTLY this mistake; I did for years. They find cups to fit and deal with a tight band. In fact, if you're really flat, fitters will do this on purpose--say you want an A cup in a band of 44+, which is really hard to find. They'll find a B cup in a smaller band size and put an extender on the back. Works okay if the band is only 1 size too small.) Because the band is too small but only one size, the cups would be almost-but-not-quite too big, so you're going to have to look closely.

If you're spilling out of the cups and the band is riding up in back, your cups are too small and your band is too large.

I've also been told the same thing about the band--it should fit comfortably on the largest hooks, so when you stretch it, you can make it tighter.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#36 of 39 Old 10-16-2011, 07:13 PM

I agree with others that being fitted is SO worth it. We have two good specialty shops in the city closest to us (one is a nursing wear store) & I have had good results with sizing at both. At the bra only shop they were particularly awesome & I have been so super pleased with my bras from there. I must admit I was impressed when I went in (half expecting to go home empty handed) & found that not only did they carry my G cup but they went up many sizes past that. But yeah, I don't even blink at spending $80 on a bra. I'd love to have a wardrobe of bras but I just accept I can only afford to own a couple & take care with how I wash them so they last longer.

I haven't tried an underwire nursing bra as I can't stand the thought of spending that kind of money to find out I am one of those women whom it causes problems & then not be able to wear the bra.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#37 of 39 Old 10-16-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

the fitting ladies my usual bra shop (who are very bossy and won't even let you look at the bras... they bring you what they think will work and they are in the room with you "helping"... in a very hands on way... but I have never been able to get such well fitting bras anywhere else since I broke D cup (and then beyond!) in 10th grade) are adamant that you should buy a bra that only fits you on the outer band clasps, because the band will always lose stretch and you will need to move inwards. that is why there are the three sets of clasps, they say.

Soooo good to know! The last clasp was better last night.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#38 of 39 Old 10-17-2011, 10:20 AM

These Target shelfbras I got are barely cutting it for sitting around in my nest.  I need real bras, and SOON.  I will probably get a couple Bravados, since they have flexible sizing.  Our good maternity bra shop is in another town half an hour away, and I'm not sure I'm ready to travel that far yet.  I'm really looking forward to when I can, though, because having my boobs all unsupported and stuffed into a tank top is not the best.

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#39 of 39 Old 10-17-2011, 12:16 PM

I purchased a Bravado Sublime nursing bra, and I wasn't sure how I'd like it, having been somewhat disappointed in less supportive Bravado bras in the past, but so far I really do! 

Someone mentioned this particular Anita bra on this thread months ago, and I finally ordered one from Amazon.  Cheapest I could find it in my size, though it looks like the percentage off has decreased since I ordered mine.

I can't do the shelf bras, I really hate them!  I hope you can find something you like.  :)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page