spotlight May 8-14: lovinlife114, Mama_Wolf1982, MOMYS, ameliasmama, JJ'sMom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to the seventh Oct 2011 DDC spotlight thread!

This week, the spotlight is on:

5 Oct – lovinlife114 (Tara), #1
5 Oct – Mama_Wolf1982 (Jen), #2
5 Oct – MOMYS (Anelle), #8
6 Oct – ameliasmama (Amanda), #3
6 Oct – JJ’sMom (Julia), #4

Previous weeks:

Week 1: MamaMcBride, ValH, akind1, purplerose, dragondreaming

Week 2: korintherin, auntbeabea, durafemina, ~pi, fourbeautifulgirls

Week 3: JupiteRain48, puente, Shonahsmom, Snugglebugmom

Week 4: capretta, carriede, KristinaMarie, AlexisT, dosergirl

Week 5: Gabesgrrrl, Grahnola Mum, Hannahkatiebell, Jane, NDFanatik

Week 6: snubblenuts, afmom2be, HeatherCPST, Starlit, VTtoPSUmama, Leiahs

How this works

If your name is listed above, this is a spotlight on you! Please answer all questions you have time for and feel comfortable answering.

Everyone else, ask questions of the five or six DDC members listed. Silly questions, serious questions, whatever you want to know!

When will everyone's thread happen?

I will start a new thread every Sunday. (If anyone else wants to help with this, PM me!)

We'll go in groups of 5-6, working our way down the list. Right now, that means the last spotlight thread will start in mid-September. I am taking the list from capretta's carefully maintained roster, so if you are not on that list, make sure to get on it if you want to be part of the spotlight threads.

What if I don't want to be in the spotlight?

That's OK. Just PM me to let me know. Or just don't answer any questions when your thread comes around.

We are going on the default assumption that people who have signed up on the roster are interested in talking with the rest of us and getting to know each other, but if you don't feel comfortable answering a bunch of questions on a public forum, that's perfectly OK.

What if someone doesn't answer?

This is one of the advantages of having so many people. With 5 people in the spotlight each week, chances are good that at least a few of each group will be able and willing to answer questions.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Questions to get us started:

What does your MDC user name mean? How did you choose it?

What are some causes / charities / etc. that are important to you?

Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? (Either all-time faves, or ones you have read lately.)

What are your favorite guilty (or perhaps not so guilty) pleasures?

If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go?

What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self?

How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting?

If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them. If you are a first time mom, tell us what you are most excited about when it comes to starting a family.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've been scarce up to now in this DDC.  Life has just been incredibly busy and I find that I need about a 36 hour day to get everything done that I want to!  :) :)  I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

What does your MDC user name mean? How did you choose it?

Mom to Many Young Siblings (A group I used to belong to long ago)

What are some causes / charities / etc. that are important to you?

I am a photographer for the Tiny Light Foundation.  We provide custom children's portraiture photography services to families who have children with life changing medical issues in Canada.

Our family also has a huge heart for the AIDS orphans of Africa and we support some children through Compassion Canada.

Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? (Either all-time faves, or ones you have read lately.)

I like to read mostly non-fiction.   But I like a wide variety of genres.  

All time favourite:  The Bible

Recently read:  Water for Elephants.

Other:  A Dry White Season;  A Long Walk to Freedom; Circles in the Forest (translated from Afrikaans); To Kill a Mockingbird.

What are your favorite guilty (or perhaps not so guilty) pleasures?

Chocolate

If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go?

Um, that is really hard.  I think, though, that I would like to go back to South Africa to visit family, if I can get over the other issues.

What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self?

I was insecure.  I would tell myself to care less about what other people think.  And that I totally wasn't fat!  LOL

How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting?

Um,  I was forced to be very responsible as a child through circumstances.  It makes me a not fun parent :(  At the same time I think it helps me to see the bigger picture.

If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them. If you are a first time mom, tell us what you are most excited about when it comes to starting a family.

I have 7 super sons and each one brings something special to our lives and our home.

My 13 year old loves science.  He lives it and breathes it.  He is pretty serious although he loves to make jokes using word play and he seems to have been born responsible.  He really a great kid whom I'm loving seeing growing up into a great young man who I don't only love, but really like, too!!  

My 11 year old is a crazy, goofy guy who is sporty and outgoing.   He is a mathematics whizz and he loves doing maths.  He can make anyone smile.   With having him around there is never a dull moment.  He is pretty perceptive to people's moods and will give me that special hug just when I need it!

My 8 year old has such a giving heart.  He loves people.  He loves sharing what he has.   He is big on collecting things and is really sentimental.  He really enjoys plenty hugs and cuddles and is a great cuddler, too!  Being with him really makes me feel relaxed and just happy!

My 6 year old sweet and funny.  He is curious and has millions of questions about everything and anything.   He likes playing with his brothers by teasing them (although not meanly) and he loves making up his own words.   He loves playing board games with me and I love spending time with him!

My 5 year old loves trucks.   Seriously, I can hardly imagine him without some kind of truck close by.  He builds roads, have intricate systems etc etc etc for his trucks and cars.   He is loud and laughs a lot.  He has this deep belly laugh.  He is super gentle towards our almost 2 year old.  He reminds me how blessed we are to have adopted him and how much he has brought into our lives and taught us!

My 4 year old is busy and crazy!   He is all primary colours spinning by fast!  He never walks, he always runs.  He needs constant supervision.  He is crazy and sweet; he is cuddly and wild.... 

My almost 2 year old is.... well, almost 2!   Into everything, exploring, checking things out, finding things to climb in and over.  He is fearless and thinks anything his brothers can do he can do, too!  He loves wearing his snow boots (even now in spring with shorts), LOL!   His sweet kisses and 'ugs before nap/bedtime (and sometimes in between, if I'm lucky) are precious!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:58 PM

My forst born's initials are JJ so it was pretty easy to go with JJ'sMom. After all, that's what I was doing with my time here....learning mommy tips for a newborn. 

Our favorite charity is the David Suzuki Foundation.

My most guilty pleasure is reading uninterrupted a good fiction novel - children or adult, as ling as its good! Usually it has to be a science fantasy type to get called good. I love total escapism.

One month anywhere in the world...Hmm. I think a yoga type retreat in a really beautiful place with a great history and culture - Costa Rica or Greece...sounds about right to me.

Me as a teenager? Pretty self centered and thinking I was pretty smart...a bit conservative, but thinking I was really liberal. The usual I guess.

My kids are fun. DS1 is 6 and rarely stops moving or talking, which doesn't stop DS2 fro keeping up, or DD. DS2 and DD are very cuddly. DS1 is super inquisitive in many areas, although his favorite area to explore is science experiments.    

Old 05-09-2011, 10:11 PM

Hi everybody! I'm kind of the shy type so I haven't done a lot of posting yet, also I just joined a few weeks ago, so I'm pretty new still. I picked my user name because it was easy to remember and I'm very enthusiastic about life and having a baby for the first time!

Most important to me would be education, which is probably why I went into teaching.

I love reading fiction, but I also enjoy nonfiction adventure/travel stories. My Mom sends me random murder mysteries, so that's what I usually end up reading.

My guilty pleasures... a couple TV shows (CSI and House to name a couple). Cake, cookies, brownies, anything desert-ish. Yikes!

If I could take a month I think I would like to travel around South America, it seems really beautiful there.

As a teen I was a fun girl who liked to laugh. If I could tell myself anything it would be to go try to join more sports or something. I was not very athletically capable, but that doesn't really matter in high school. I think I would have actually loved being part of a team.

Well I'm not a parent just yet so I don't know how my background and childhood will influence the way I will parent. But I grew up on a farm and I was also home schooled, so I sort of have this secret desire to live on a farm, even though it's kind of silly.

As a first timer I'm so excited to meet the new person growing inside of me! It's so much suspense!!

Also: I have a question for MOMYS: Have you found out if you're having a girl or a boy? It sounds like you have a great bunch of boys! Are you secretly hoping for a girl or boy or are you totally impartial?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Sweet or Savory for breakfast?

Big City or Small Town life? Do you live in one and long for the other?

lovinlife114: What part of the sate are you in? I'm in Kodiak!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 PM

I am a savoury kinda breakfaster. I live on an Ecovillage, so small town works, but we are only about 1.5 hours from a major city. 

Living on a farm is not too dreamy...unless you love your work in a city.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:15 PM

What are your hobbies and/or talents?  Are there any you hope to develop in the future?

What's your favorite thing to do when there's nothing you *have* to do?

What are your pet peeves?

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Do you have any favorite blogs that you like to read?

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wouldn't be one bit disappointed if it is a boy, but I think having a girl would be nice, too.  I don't think that I would ever feel like I'm missing something if I don't have a girl.  I'm not yet sure if we are going to find out! :)

Small town for me.  We are on 3 acres and I love it.  We lived on 22 acres in South Africa and had cows, sheep,, pigs, horses and sometimes chickens.  I loved it, but we don't have any help here, so we aren't ready to get any animals (other than all the pets) yet.   We live just under an hour from a big city :)

Savoury breakfast for me.

I am a part time photographer and I really believe that I have a talent (I've also been working really hard at developing that).  

www.anellerichardsonphotography.com

I love reading :)  So, I guess that would be my favourite thing to do when there is nothing I HAVE to do.

Pet Peeves:  people who are not honest; a big chaotic mess in my house (I can't funtion) and noise when I'm trying to think :)

Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMYS View Post

I am a part time photographer and I really believe that I have a talent (I've also been working really hard at developing that).  

www.anellerichardsonphotography.com

WOW!  I definitely think you have a crazy good talent, there!  TY for sharing!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 05-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Anelle, those are stunning photographs! I second Leiahs, you are extremely talented!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

Old 05-15-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Thank you, mamas! Once again, I find myself wishing we had more time in this thread. Please come join us in next week's thread.

User Tag List