Eating right for two? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was not very good in the first tri with MS and general nausea...my cravings this time lean more towards carbs/pastas vs proteins like with my son.  I am trying to healthier snacks like yogurt, fruits and veggies, trailmixm granola...anyone have any healthy food 'mealtime' faves you want to share?  Not necessarilty recipes but maybe basic names of the meals and ingredients?

I really need to figure out some healthier meal options...

Thx!

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#2 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 09:51 AM

Rice and beans with a meat and a side salad.

I do a lot of snacking on fruits too!

I love making smoothies in the blender with yogurt and frozen/fresh fruit. YUM!

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#3 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM

since my midwives want me to eat more, they say to snack every 2 hours as opposed to big meals a couple times a day.. so I'm snacking on:

hummus and pitas

apple w/ peanut butter

crackers n cheese

soups

BLT sandwiches

fruit

ceasar salad, sometimes with chicken

spinich dip w/ pitas

guacamole, salsa and nachos with melted cheese

green smoothies

baked beans w/ hot dogs cut up in 'em

chili

quesadillas and enchiladas

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#4 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM

My cravings have been carbs this time around too. And I'm eating for 3! I think much of the weight I've gained so far is due to carbs and not babies :(

One of our favorite spring time dinners is steak and artichokes. I've been trying to stock up on healthy and tasty salad dressings (mostly I make my own but I'm making exceptions due to lack of motivation and energy). I try to make sure I have a variety of yummy salad toppings on hand: chickpeas, kidney beans, or black beans; cherry tomatoes, blue or feta cheese, shredded carrots, hard boiled eggs, etc.)

I also have been keeping tortillas (I really need to switch to whole wheat!) along with lettuce and lunch meat (I microwave it for 20-30 seconds so I don't feel guilty about the potential risk...once it cools I can't tell it's been heated at all) makes a quick and filling snack or lunch.

Crockpot chicken...then leftovers are quick for salad toppings or tortilla wrap snacks or burrito/taco filling.

I can't wait to read others' suggestions as well!

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#5 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Thanks for starting this thread.  I've been thinking about this now that I'm coming out of "food aversion land."  With my first pregnancy I feel like I was pretty good about things like getting 4 servings of dairy/calcium a day...and I feel like I'm totally failing now.  I'm trying to make sure to drink a glass of milk at bedtime, and I usually have milk in cereal in the morning...but some days that's all the calcium I'm getting.  I do eat a banana most days, and I've been craving navel oranges a lot, too...especially icy cold from the fridge.  But I do feel like my nutrition is totally lacking greensad.gif.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#6 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your tips ladies!  I've gone through 4 tubs of hummus in the first tri so that was one healthy thing I tried to keep down :).  We live in NM so tortillas are a staple (I love whole wheat) with a fried egg and sharp cheddar on the weekends or for an avocado roll up with tomatoes and sprouts.  I just feel like I need to eat more veggies and fruits than I do...I started to eat parfaits again two nights ago with frozen berries and granola so that is good.  I also need to start grilling veggies this summer.

I love all of your snack and meal ideas, I feel better about what I am eating and hope the bean is doing well.

Thx!

#7 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 PM

• Greek yogurt.  Normally I have a total sweet tooth and need granola, fruit, or nuts & raisins in it, but after DH started making it, I've been enjoying it plain and tangy!
  • Ants on a log.  My favorite snack when I was 4 has made a comeback.  For those of you who somehow bypassed this delicacy, it is celery sticks with peanut butter (or almond) and raisins.  You can make a snowy log with cream cheese too
  • Almonds and raisins.  A hefty handful is my afternoon favorite
  • Banana & peanut butter (or almond butter), or just banana with almonds
  • Mug of milk and a granola bar
  • Fried eggs on toast with a little schmear of nufchatel cheese
  • Cottage cheese on toast with salt & pepper
  • Red peppers & carrots with hummus and crackers

I try to have a protein, whole grain, and fresh fruit or veggie at all my meals and snacks.  I know it evens out more during the day, but I can always eat more veggies.

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#8 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 PM

I'm eating very well this pregnancy (unlike other pregnancies!).

Spinach gratin, veggie soups, fruit, tons of salads, nuts, carrot salads.  I highly recommend Donna Klein's books even if you are not vegan-- The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen and The Supermarket Vegan (lots of VERY easy recipes)-- you can use her recipes as sides, salads, and snacks, most are incredibly healthy.

I'm trying to stay away from refined grains, sweeteners, fruit juice, anything sugary.

#9 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I was checking out the vegan forum a little last week for ideas also, so thanks for that tip.

I have a stash of trail mix (almonds, raisins, etc) that I nosh on at work, flaxseed oatmeal, and find at night I still eat a lot of processed snacks (cheddar popcorn and my son's annies graham bunnies) so I am trying to get the bad snacking under control.  I also need to do better with my dinners, I wohm so feel like I'm rushing a lot after I pick up DS and try to make a quick meal when we get home...I think better planning and cooking large crock pots of food on the weekends is in order to keep sane during the work week.  Too much easy peasy pasta and not enough of the good stuff :)....though I love me some butternut squash raviolis - yum.

Thx again :).

#10 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 08:08 PM

I am eating low/no grain and low sugar, limited fruit, and I am a vegetarian. So snacks are hard and take some planning. I only expect the diet to get stricter as I will likely develop gestational diabetes again this time. I do not limit fat and in fact I often try to eat more fat. keeps me much more satisfied and less likely to make bad choices.

I do eat a LOT of hummus and peanut butter.

I try to make lentil or bean/quinoa and chopped veggie salads- so I have something quick and savory and healthy

plain full-fat greek yogurt- yes yes!

I make a grain-free granola, but its not vegan. I got it from the "girl gone primal" blog

When I can get up the energy I make myself chia seed crackers, and I also really like the sunflower/sesame seed crackers at the aforementioned blog

yes yes on nuts and seeds

lots of crunchy veggie sticks and cheese or hummus.

green salads with yummy homemade dressing and a chopped up hard-boiled egg, and any other seeds or crunchy veg that I have

IF there is anything around like chocolate or ice cream I am utterly powerless in its face. so I try to just limit those coming into my house.

dissertating mom to three

#11 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM

oh and, avocados. frozen berries. (not together. I just try to have those around)

#12 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 AM

I agree completely!  I'm eating higher fat than I would normally eat, and I think it keeps me really satisfied.  I went from skim milk to 2% and whole milk, and wow, a glass of whole milk is just so amazingly satisfying to me right now.  My midwives suggested that after looking at my food intake diary, and I really have found it to be true- I am satisfied and less likely to make non-wise food choices. 

Yum, avacados sound really good too.  And the combo actually doesn't sound bad to me.  When I lived in Brazil I was very shocked to learn that avacado is often eaten as a "sweet" (so, avacado ice cream, etc).  We tend to think salsa, onion, and salty/spicy type things, but berries and other sweets could be really good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

I am eating low/no grain and low sugar, limited fruit, and I am a vegetarian. So snacks are hard and take some planning. I only expect the diet to get stricter as I will likely develop gestational diabetes again this time. I do not limit fat and in fact I often try to eat more fat. keeps me much more satisfied and less likely to make bad choices.

#13 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 07:42 AM

Amy May, I've always thought avocado would make good ice cream. I have made some very yummy avocado-chocolate pudding (blend with unsweet cocoa or melted chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, a very little bit of sweetner to taste. Top with a little unsweetened whipped cream. YUM).

My MWs with #2 really pushed me to eat higher fat (not that I ate particularly low fat before) and I feel much better eating that way. I also lost a lot of weight when I went back to eating higher fat and much lower carb/sugar at 8m PP. I eat plenty of full-fat dairy including butter and cheese (not a lot of liquid milk b/c of natural sugar content), also eggs, avocados, nuts and seeds, peanut butter, coconut milk, and I cook with plenty of extra virgin olive oil and virgin coconut oil.

#14 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my hubby makes this awesome mango, avocado and onion salad he learned about while living in Kenya (I believe, but I could be wrong).  It is awesome with some annies goddess dressing and nuts :).  I bought 4 avocados on Sunday along with more yogurt and lowfat granola.  I had fish, a little bit of ribs and corn on the cob last night - still need more veggies.  I did have saag for lunch yesterday so got some spinach in :).

Thanks for all the tips, I love the sound of all those snacks and meals :).

#15 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 AM

I have so many cravings this time around...just reading this made me want an avocado sandwich. Last night I had to have friend chicken though. *sigh* I ate really well during both of my other pregnancies, like award winning well. LOL This time is not so easy but I try. I dont drink milk in my non pregnant life, but I am also drinking whole milk lately. It is so good for some reason. 

My healthy snacks are:

hummus and pita wedges or carrots

spinach salads minus the usual feta

string cheese

hardboiled eggs

greek yogurt

Lots of protein for me I guess. I do have some fruit too but it seems to make me feel yucky later so I like the protein and veggies more..

Okay off to get an avocado...

* Edited to say I just realized I said " Friend" chicken....lmao....It made me laugh so hard I have to leave it now....lol......

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#16 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 AM

mythik, rereading your posts... maybe you can try to include more veggies in breakfast and lunch, and let dinner be "snacky" if that is a tough time of day for you? Or just make sure to have pre-washed veggies/salad around so you can throw a side of veggies on your plate with very little effort? You can also grate (or thinly slice/chop) some veggies into sauce when you are heating that up for pasta. Or even just some frozen veggies- don't knock them. They are easy and very nutritious. Make a big tasty salady lunch for yourself the night before, and don't stress if you can't manage it at the mad-after-work-before-bed rush time. For the first trimester I felt NASTY at dinnertime and was hardly eating anything. Then I'd want ice cream at like 9PM. So I made sure to have a really good healthy breakfast and lunch, when I was hungry.

Make aheads are a good idea, so they are on hand and easy to eat. Very nice kale salad: wash and finely chop kale, mix with lemon, olive oil, salt, and massage together. Add some chopped raisins and some optional seeds (help, sunflower, etc). Let it sit at least a few hours- very good the next day or two. That is easy peasy to make, keeps a couple of days, and it nice as a lunch, or stuffed into pita with cheese or hummos for lunch. Another I make: Quinoa and beans, some minced scallions and/or red onions, very thinly sliced veg (whatever you have... peppers, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, raw or cooked greens, etc), minced herbs like parsley or cilantro, and dress with some vinegar, oil, salt. Also keeps and travels well. I just made a lentil salad with lentils, red onion, cabbage (minced), olive oil, salt, cider vinegar, and a handful of dried cranberries and some shaved and chopped parmesan. If you intentionally make extra cooked greens at dinnertime or whever, you can chop and add into a really quick breafast omlette.

#17 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Great ideas!  I love noshing on carrots and am not a huge fan of salads...esp this pregnancy but will try to have a few per week.  I bought the avocados to make 'cali sandwhiches: avocado, sprouts, tomato,cheese in a tortilla or pita' to get my 'salad' in.  It's my fave sandwich ever and super simple.  I need to pick up the rest of the ingredients tonight after work.  At lunch I try to eat some veggies and that is a better time for me so you are quite right - at night my cravings are blech so good call.  I'm glad I posted this thread, it's made me doubly aware of what I need to do to make sure this LO gets what she needs :).

I love your salad ideas and will buy some of those ingredients too!  They sound super!

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

mythik, rereading your posts... maybe you can try to include more veggies in breakfast and lunch, and let dinner be "snacky" if that is a tough time of day for you? Or just make sure to have pre-washed veggies/salad around so you can throw a side of veggies on your plate with very little effort? You can also grate (or thinly slice/chop) some veggies into sauce when you are heating that up for pasta. Or even just some frozen veggies- don't knock them. They are easy and very nutritious. Make a big tasty salady lunch for yourself the night before, and don't stress if you can't manage it at the mad-after-work-before-bed rush time. For the first trimester I felt NASTY at dinnertime and was hardly eating anything. Then I'd want ice cream at like 9PM. So I made sure to have a really good healthy breakfast and lunch, when I was hungry.

Make aheads are a good idea, so they are on hand and easy to eat. Very nice kale salad: wash and finely chop kale, mix with lemon, olive oil, salt, and massage together. Add some chopped raisins and some optional seeds (help, sunflower, etc). Let it sit at least a few hours- very good the next day or two. That is easy peasy to make, keeps a couple of days, and it nice as a lunch, or stuffed into pita with cheese or hummos for lunch. Another I make: Quinoa and beans, some minced scallions and/or red onions, very thinly sliced veg (whatever you have... peppers, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, raw or cooked greens, etc), minced herbs like parsley or cilantro, and dress with some vinegar, oil, salt. Also keeps and travels well. I just made a lentil salad with lentils, red onion, cabbage (minced), olive oil, salt, cider vinegar, and a handful of dried cranberries and some shaved and chopped parmesan. If you intentionally make extra cooked greens at dinnertime or whever, you can chop and add into a really quick breafast omlette.

#18 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post I've always thought avocado would make good ice cream.

I ate avocado gelato in Italy. I thought that it would be great, but it was just ok. Interestingly, it had a slight chalky bitterness to it that I didn't fancy. However, worth a try! Last summer I had cucumber ice cream--now THAT was really refreshing.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#19 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

I bought some cucumber ice cream for DH and he thought it was ok...it had a nice overall taste but definitely not a go to ice cream for me :).  It's nice trying new things though.

#20 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Mythink- I think we're all glad you posted this thread.  I have gotten a ton of new ideas, and all of us truly benefit from thinking about creative and delicious ways to give our babies the nutrition they need, and fuel ourselves as well!

#21 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I know! I can't wait to go grocery shopping with DS tonight :).  Lots of fun and quick ideas!

#22 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
~pi

GREAT thread! notes.gif

Things I like that I didn't notice listed:

- berry smoothies with kale

- prunes and walnuts

- oranges, sliced up, with almonds

- hummus with a ton of finely chopped crunchy veggies mixed in, eaten with celery or whole wheat pitas

- apples/pears with cheese/nut butter

- sliced tomatoes with balsamic vinegar (and fresh mozz if we have it)

- a bunch of hard veggies, chopped and tossed in balsamic vinaigrette (chick peas work in this, too)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#23 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 PM

I've been raiding our chicken coop for eggs. I love omlettes with peppers and tomatoes. I've also been mowing down on oatmeal with fruit and maple syrup. We make pancakes nearly every day. I like mine with fried banana in them. (Make the batter in a blender - easy mixing and pouring.)

The other ideas have been fabulous. (Sadly, no dairy or wheat for me....just mouth watering envy at the good cheeses listed.)

#24 of 27 Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ'sMom View Post

I've been raiding our chicken coop for eggs. I love omlettes with peppers and tomatoes. I've also been mowing down on oatmeal with fruit and maple syrup. We make pancakes nearly every day. I like mine with fried banana in them. (Make the batter in a blender - easy mixing and pouring.)

The other ideas have been fabulous. (Sadly, no dairy or wheat for me....just mouth watering envy at the good cheeses listed.)

thats what I was missing this am...tomatoes!!!! dd and I had scrambled eggs with spinach and cheese and dry rye toast...was yummy but peppers and tomatoes would have been sooo fab!!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#25 of 27 Old 05-11-2011, 06:41 AM

Peeking in to say thanks for this thread! Lots of great ideas in here.

DH and I were just talking the other day about my eating. I really don't feel like I eat any more than I did pre-pregnancy, and he confirmed that my meals/snacks have been the same as they always are. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with this (I know last time I was eating a LOT more!). But I also don't want to gain as much as I did last time (60lb). I'm not sure I'm finding the best balance yet. At 16 weeks I was at my pre-pregnancy weight (I initially lost 5lb due to morning sickness but by 16 weeks I gained that 5 pounds back, putting me back at my starting weight).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#26 of 27 Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 AM

well, I can't eat oatmeal, maple syrup, pancakes, or anything other than very modest amounts of low-sugar fruit (I'm aiming at keeping total carbs per day under 150, and probably going to about 75 or less, with most of it as fiber anyway, as the placenta matures and starts to mess with my insulin function), so that sounds pretty mouth watering to me. Thank goodness I CAN eat cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ'sMom View Post

StephandOwen: I too haven't gained any weight yet. But I am fine with it. I am not thin and I know I am eating plenty of nutrient dense food. I also know I will gain plenty soon :)

#27 of 27 Old 05-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I was at Whole Foods today and FINALLY picked up peanut butter. It has been out of the house because DH took it to work. Now I can have my perfect peanut butter breakfast (and lunch.)

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page