placenta previa...freaking out here - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We got the report from my ultrasound. It says "low-lying marginal previa". I've never had this problem before and I am freaking out after reading about it. We are planning a homebirth(and paid out-of-pocket since insurance won't cover it) and the thought of a c-section or even a hospital birth is driving me to tears :(

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#2 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 10:58 AM

I'm so sorry you have to worry and deal with this purple rose. I don't know much about it, but can't it move up as the uterus grows out.. I think I read that somewhere... but don't take my word for it. Wishing you all the best, whatever happens.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#3 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 11:01 AM

Can I DDCC?  My sister was diagnosed with the same thing at her 20-week, and she just this morning had her followup ultrasound and it's fine now.  Nothing to stop her from having a vaginal birth.  More than likely everything will turn out just fine!

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#4 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 11:01 AM

Sorry to burst in here but I saw this on the main board and I wanted to mention that I was diagnosed exactly the same way with #1.  It was stressful and I had way more os than I wanted but it did clear up by the 35 week so there's plenty of hope! 

Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#5 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Like the others have said, don't freak out too much yet!! I had the exact same diagnosis with #2 but it moved by the time I was 36 weeks and he was born vaginally with no problems, I hardly even bled after his delivery. :)

partners.gif Married to an awesome dh for 5 years. energy.gifSweetpea, our honeymoon baby! (06/07), biggrinbounce.gif Little man (04/09), and rolleyes.gif our newest little guy (10/11).

#6 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, y'all...I have been reading that the placenta moves up as the uterus grows but there's that nagging percentage of women where that doesn't happen. I've had 3 very non-eventful preg and births and have this feeling that something's going to happen! It's going to be a long 10 weeks to wait on the next ultrasound! And I'm wondering if I should go ahead and stop sex and heavy housework now just in case, or what? Bc I don't want to stop either one! I have 3 kids and 3 dogs that need me and this house will quickly go to pieces if I don't do my job!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#7 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM

oh gosh, I could give up housework, but not sex! Are those really big things that will affect it? I hope it moves, moves!!! Just try to keep calm as you can  about it, hon. And ask your care provider what they think you should do.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#8 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 PM

I heard a good analogy.  Imagine marking a spot with a marker on a balloon, down near the mouth, and then blowing it up.  Low lying placentas are very common, and I think it is more than reasonable to expect that yours would move too.  Also, maybe it is helpful to think that at this point in your pregnancy, it is absolutely harmless and unproblematic if your placenta is low.  It is only an issue close to your birth.  By all means, it is a major concern late in the game, but you still have SO much time/ 

As for sex and housework... I for one agree with Sunanthem.  I would sooner cut off my pinky toe than willingly give up sex right now.  Housework, I would feel totally justified in at least giving up the stuff I really didn't enjoy.  You should be fine for both.  I hope you feel encouraged and optimistic.  Your baby and placenta still have a TON of growing

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#9 of 29 Old 05-11-2011, 04:12 AM

It's easy for people that have never been diagnosed with it and never had the fears of complications and c-section to give advice. I had Complete (where the placenta was entirely cover the cervix, the "worst" kind of Previa) Placenta Previa with our youngest. My advice is to heed your health care provider's restrictions. They suggest those restrictions to lessen the chances of bleeding. Bleeding with Placenta Previa can be very scary and hard to stop. I don't know about you but when I was first diagnosed I flipped out-heard everything from births were fine to births were highly complicated and traumatic to bleeding was unmanageable, women ended up bed ridden for most of their pregnancy, etc. I didn't want or like the idea of having a c-section but decided that more important than how my baby got out what that she got out in the best condition possible, if that necessitated a c-section instead of a very, very high risk try for vaginal birth, that's what I would do. Once I decided that I came to terms with needing a planned surgical birth and didn't feel hostile or regretful or sad.

At 30 weeks my OB did a follow-up ultrasound and said the placenta was still complete. My c-section was scheduled by our 32 week appointment because at that time my doctor said that because it was complete the chances of moving were slim to none. He said if it did move I would be the first of his patients ever with Complete Placenta Previa to have it move. One week before our scheduled c-section I went to L&D with contractions. Part of triaging me to see if I was in labor was an ultrasound to check on the placenta. We found out at that time that, contrary to what my doctor said, my placenta was up and back! It took me awhile to come to terms with not having complete placenta previa and went on to have a sporadic labor that ended in vaginal birth. 

At our NT scan a few weeks ago the Peri said my placenta was low lying from what he could tell. I know better than to worry this time around, especially because we were soooooo early, and will do what I did last time-pray and hope.

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#10 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 02:20 PM

I just found out today that I have a complete previa. It is anterior and I know it has time to move, but I am crushed. Like you we are planning a homebirth and the thought of a c-section is crushing to me. I know if that is what happens it is best for the baby and me both, but the thought of it just makes me cry. 

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#11 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 05:26 PM

Sorry to hear that, Poodge. hug2.gif

My u/s 2 weeks ago showed I have a marginal placenta (right at the rim on the internal os of the cervix). I did some research, and found that about 34% of women with placenta previa diagnosed between 20-24 weeks still have it at term. So, 65% resolve. My u/s was at 19.5 weeks and there was no actual overlap, so I'm looking on the bright side and considering myself more like the group diagnosed at 15-19 weeks in which 88% resolved. Still, the moments I do think about what if it doesn't move, I get a bit sad and don't like the feeling associated with not having any control over how this plays out.

#12 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 PM

Just wanted to express my empathy for those dealing with placenta previa diagnoses.  The biggest reason I had an ultrasound was to check for the same thing, and I know I would be absolutely crushed and terrified if I were in your places.  I will keep my hopes up for you that everything will resolve in due time!!  hug2.gif

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#13 of 29 Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 PM

Add me to the placenta previa club greensad.gif I have a complete previa.  The Dr said no sex, but didn't say anything about taking it easy in general or not lifting or anything. Of course I've been googling and reading these stories of women who spent the 2nd half of their pregnancies on bed rest, in th4e hospital, etc.  Ack! I'm no athlete, but I do walk around a fair amount. I'm assuming it's safe unless there's bleeding?

#14 of 29 Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 PM

To the op: I just had my recent u/s at 20 wk and my was labeled with a partial previa. My mw gave me the measurements and said that it was nothing to be worried about. She said she didn't know why they did that but it was very common for it to be labeled that when it actually wasn't covering the opening at all. In these cases it is very very common for it to move up and there is very little to be concerned about. I think that we will do the recommended follow up u/s at 30 wks just to make sure. As for complete previa that is very serious and should be taken very seriously. I think you should find out if your placenta is covering the opening, what the measurements are, etct. then follow up with a u/s at a later date. The term marginal in your diagnoses makes it sound very promising.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#15 of 29 Old 06-11-2011, 03:03 AM

Oh no! Don't freak out. DDCC to say I've had this twice and both times it moved up.

Mom to three crazy boys, a roly poly baby boy, and one on the way! stork-boy.gif

#16 of 29 Old 06-12-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post

Add me to the placenta previa club greensad.gif I have a complete previa.  The Dr said no sex, but didn't say anything about taking it easy in general or not lifting or anything. Of course I've been googling and reading these stories of women who spent the 2nd half of their pregnancies on bed rest, in th4e hospital, etc.  Ack! I'm no athlete, but I do walk around a fair amount. I'm assuming it's safe unless there's bleeding?

I would talk with your doctor, but yes from what I heard unless there is bleeding you are ok. Heck even the fear mongering What to Expect says a previa at 20 weeks is no big deal. (At least in the first section about it, I did not get to read the second section as my DS was ready to leave Target, which is where I was reading it). 

#17 of 29 Old 06-16-2011, 09:44 PM

I had a marginal low lieing placenta with my last baby. They can move up as the uterus grows. I had a natural vaginal birth in the hospital, I had some bleeding in the last trimester, some preterm labor, modified bed rest.  I hemorraged during the delivery. It was scary and the hospital was frustrating, but I had a beautiful baby boy! Remember the Most important thing is a healthy mom and healthy baby!  Good luck!

#18 of 29 Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 AM

DDCC to say that I was told at my 18 week sonogram that I had marginal placenta previa.  The tech was super unconcerned.  She left to check with the radiologist, came back and said "yep, what I thought.  You have marginal placenta previa.  At this point in your pregnancy all that means is you'll have to come back at 28 weeks for another ultrasound to check on the location of the placenta.  The chances are very good that it will have moved away from the cervix and everything's fine.  If not, it just means more ultrasounds, so there's no need to worry about anything yet."  I'm only 20 weeks now, so we'll see how it goes.  But everyone at my office (which is a joint OB/MW hospital practice) had a very "meh" attitude about it.

#19 of 29 Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

The person who read my ultrasounds reported a marginal previa, and suspected it would move and recommended a re-check later to confirm her suspicions. That was in the report to my midwife. That made it sound much better. I could have already had another one but I'm impatiently waiting til 28 weeks(that's 2 weeks from now).

#20 of 29 Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I just found out today that I have a low placenta. So u/s scheduled for 28 weeks. I'm relieved to read here about it clearing up for most.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#21 of 29 Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 AM

I wanted to follow-up and say that our big mid-pregnancy ultrasound last Thursday (almost 21 weeks) my placenta was completely out of the way. :) Good luck ladies, sending you many "uplifting" vibes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABB View Post

At our NT scan a few weeks ago the Peri said my placenta was low lying from what he could tell. I know better than to worry this time around, especially because we were soooooo early, and will do what I did last time-pray and hope.

#22 of 29 Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Oh, cool KABB. That is fantastic.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#23 of 29 Old 06-21-2011, 07:44 PM

Wonderful news KABB! 

#24 of 29 Old 06-25-2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks ladies! I hope it works out the same for you. And, even if it doesn't seem to be before you have your c-section or when you go into labor tell the doctor you want an ultrasound right then and there to check on location of the placenta.

#25 of 29 Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 PM

Mine moved, too, at 28 weeks joy.gif

#26 of 29 Old 08-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Great news dollyanna!!

#27 of 29 Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Dont worry! I had placenta previa too but they just told me its cleared itself up!! 98% of women who have it generally dont have it once its tme to give birth (or so my doctor told me) as your uterus gets bigger it should move itself up!

#28 of 29 Old 08-15-2011, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mine did go away...is anyone else still having this issue? Just one more thing to freak out about that turns out to be completely normal the majority of the time LOL

#29 of 29 Old 08-17-2011, 01:33 PM

Just popping back in (and DDCC) to give an update.  I had my follow up ultrasound, and the placenta has completely moved away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablemec View Post

DDCC to say that I was told at my 18 week sonogram that I had marginal placenta previa.  The tech was super unconcerned.  She left to check with the radiologist, came back and said "yep, what I thought.  You have marginal placenta previa.  At this point in your pregnancy all that means is you'll have to come back at 28 weeks for another ultrasound to check on the location of the placenta.  The chances are very good that it will have moved away from the cervix and everything's fine.  If not, it just means more ultrasounds, so there's no need to worry about anything yet."  I'm only 20 weeks now, so we'll see how it goes.  But everyone at my office (which is a joint OB/MW hospital practice) had a very "meh" attitude about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page