GD moms, how is it going? - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a mega splurge today...two strawberry pancakes and a chocolate milkshake in one sitting.  My blood sugar after was...not in range....but it wasn't horrible.  Came down quickly enough.  Induction is scheduled to begin on Sunday night at 10pm.  I'm a bit nervous.  But that means that she's staying in long enough for me to go on the hospital tour on Saturday night!  

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

I had a mega splurge today...two strawberry pancakes and a chocolate milkshake in one sitting.  My blood sugar after was...not in range....but it wasn't horrible.  Came down quickly enough.  Induction is scheduled to begin on Sunday night at 10pm.  I'm a bit nervous.  But that means that she's staying in long enough for me to go on the hospital tour on Saturday night!  

I have been resisting my chocolate milk and chocolate shake cravings the past week....yay me!!

Good luck with the induction, Im trying to decide if I want to wait till 41 weeks for a membrane sweep or if we should just try it tomorrow at 40 weeks...so torn...I want my baby now but I dont want to force it.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 PM

I am SO having a big, extra thick chocolate malted once this baby is out!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:59 PM

Mmmmm....chocolate milkshake!

My oops snacks....strangely, the worst offenders are triscuit crackers and Graham crackers. These are not my favorite foods but sometimes I have been tired or failed to plan snacks properly, and I end up just having too many crackers with the kids while they snack. I think 165 is about the highest i've had, and only once or twice.

I have "cheated" and had a little chocolate cake and ice cream for dd's birthday last week, and for my birthday last month. Had a salad for dinner, and with cake I was under 120, barely. I have a cookie once in a while, doesn't seem to affect my number much if it's early in the day (when I am often battling lows).

I have really lost all discipline this week, have been forgetting to test, snacking before 2 hour mark. I totally have gd fatigue.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 10-07-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I make myself a kind of "cocoa" with hot water, unsweet cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, stevia and cream (half-and-half, or real cream if I have it). Actually I've drunk this all my life and it helps me a little wee bit with the GD management to still have a warm chocolately drink that I can have completely guilt free. I thought it was just a gross (but good) thing we drink in my family, but then it turns out I've read/heard about people who call it "cocoa tea" and drink it will all sorts of interesting spices, etc.

But a milkshake sounds so darn good.

I do allow myself a mini donut or a small breakfast bread type thing about 2ce a week in the mid-morning. I have usually had a big walk first. I don't test afterwards either.

mostly I do okay with staying away from stuff I should have by just, well, staying away from it. Graham crackers etc would be hard for me. I don't keep anything like that in the house or I would just be "cheating" so often it would be more like a "habit"... I guess my kids are just halfway deprived but I just don't really give them snacky stuff like that. I buy it for them in small packs or on the go if at all.

Going to bake my baby's birthday cake layers this weekend and freeze them. DS and DD will frost (with whipped cream) and decorate the cake after baby is born (gives them something to do with one of their labor support people while I have my shower, exam, etc). So, I fully plan to have a freaking big slice of chocolate cake not long after I give birth to this placenta.

dissertating mom to three

Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Talked to the hospital, had to just smile and nod.  No food for 12 hours before COMING IN?  Seriously?  What part of why I'm being induced don't they get?  I eat like eight times a day!  I will not be gorging myself before induction because I do have a sensitive tummy, but jesus-h-christ I am having at least some soup and salad.  Especially since I'm being induced at night when I ALWAYS have lows, no matter how much/well I eat during the day.  They don't get to tell me what I can put in my mouth!

I'm so excited, DH and I are going for indian food tomorrow night.  I love indian food.  The one thing I don't like about our new neighborhood is there isn't an indian restaurant.  We're going to the place near our old house...I'm pretty sure I could eat it for every meal.  I love nothing more than vegetable curries.  I could totally take or leave the rice and starchy stuff, but I will be having some naan.  

Emma: I do a similar cocoa mix.  Sometimes I will also toss in a chai tea bag.  It makes it nice and spicy.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

livacreature - that is ridiculous. Enjoy the indian food!

I wish now I had taken the time & effort to pump some colostrum. Despite bfing immediately & several times dd bg kept dropping & we ended up giving her 1oz of formula by syringe. I know bg is important but I wish we didn't have to do the formula. Waiting now for the most current bg results.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 10-08-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

livacreature, I am totally going to put a chai tea bag in my cocoa water, that is brilliant. Then its like chocolately-creamy-chai. yum.

and that is so weird no food for 12 hours before induction?!? what is up with hospitals having such different protocols? No woman should be half-staved going into labor, diabetes or no, but that sounds nuts.

alright. going for groceries. Indian food sounds so good.

I was out and ate a wrap sandwich (mushrooms, veggies, and goat cheese in a tortilla) for dinner last night, and green salad, and 2 small wedges of pita bread with hummus. Obviously I could have skipped the pita but it looked good and I was HUNNNNGRYYYY. The choices for vegetarians at this place were basically all sandwiches or pasta, so I tried to get the lower carb option. WELL. Wish I'd eaten only the filling of my wrap... I tested when I got home- a little over 2 hours later, got first 177 (I've never even seen such a high number all pregnancy), then I washed my hands and got 156, 129 and 132. Blah. None of them a number I'd want to see more than 2 hours after eating. Oh well. I tried to relax and realize there is nothing you can do after the fact. I ate 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and drank a bunch of water before bed and had a fasting of 82 so I am determined to do less cheating since obviously I can't handle even one full-on normal-carb meal. I am supposed to go to a 3-day conference next week (with breakfast and lunch provided) but realizing I'd better pack my own foods or at least high protein snacks.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:17 AM

I thought it was off.  I talked to my best friend's parents who are both OBs and they told me that it must just be an weird hospital policy and to ignore it.  More important for me to have energy since labor is a lot of work.  I'm so tired, getting ready to go on hospital tour (yeah, I procrastinated) and get my indian food.  DH has been hilariously nesty this morning.  He vacuumed the whole house, finished all the laundry, deodorized the carpets, washed the dog crate, dusted the baseboards, and cleaned the guest bathroom.  I'm glad he is channeling my impulses that exhaustion won't let me act on!  I didn't even have to ask, he just woke up and started cleaning.  

Lifeguard, I hope her blood sugar gets stable soon.  Thinking of you both!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 AM

So far, so good.

There were a few things that got a bit hairy.  I had a (rather expected on my end) low blood sugar Monday morning.  They were a bit unhappy that I was refusing an insulin drip in lieu of my pump, but I got it back up and was able to keep it between 85-95 from pitocin to delivery (yay).  At some point during delivery, the infusion set came out and I didn't notice for a few hours, so I went a bit high, but it came down quickly and has been good since.  I did get an epidural at the very very end that I (and my team) did not realize was the very very end.  It was only in for an hour between insertion and after birth, so I was lucky to avoid any of the unpleasant side effects.  She was little, like we were expecting, 6 pounds, 2 ounces, and 18 inches long, but she came out with the quickness, so I did tear pretty badly.  I had discussed waiting and seeing about the episidomy a minute or two before she was born, and there just was not even time for that.  I was pretty convinced I'd rather tear, and I'm still glad that I didn't agree to get cut.  I'm very glad that was avoided.  Apparently I have a very short perinium, so I didn't take too much!  I'm not uncomfortable, except when I cough (will this lung thing go away!?!?!?!) and it feels like I'm being torn again, so i'm taking some percoset and treating with ice.

Baby's blood sugars are great, she is feeding great.  She had slightly low body temperature so spent an hour or two on a warmer, but if that is the worst, than I'm pretty happy with that!  I'm so tired. I haven't slept more than a few hours since Thursday night.  Baby did well sleeping last night, but they were coming in every 2 hours to make sure I tested my blood sugar, which got pretty old.  My insulin needs dropped a lot, endo told me not to treat anything very aggressively.  It is weird having that flexibility/lack of guilt/permission for it to not be perfect.  Its stayed under 150, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Lifeguard: Did she get stable?  How long did it end up taking?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:19 AM

livacreature - sounds like things went well overall.

It took a little over a day for her to stabilize but much longer to "prove" it because the doctor wanted 3 consecutive good readings.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 AM
~pi

livacreature, so glad things went well. I am also enjoying the slack postpartum guidelines, which for my team were basically: "Don't pass out. Run higher for a few weeks." Came just in time for Canadian Thanksgiving and my mom's pumpkin pie. yummy.gif

lifeguard, guidelines require 3 consecutive readings above 2.6 mmol/L. It was probably hospital policy, not just physician preference. Glad to hear she finally got three in a row!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM

pi - unfortuntely they wanted above 3.0 so one 2.8 reading put us back dramatically. Frustrating that yet again there is no consistent model of care.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

so, do any of you have any input or thoughts?

my midwives are pretty much letting me decide how much prenatal testing/monitoring to do. We were talking about setting up a biophysical and/or NSTs, but when? and the question is, which? they would have to be in totally different locations, both of which would be at least a 90minute travel for me on public transpo (with my 2yo). And because I have medicaid (insurance for low income women) which is run through an HMO here in NYC, many hospitals and centers won't take my insurance.

At first we said start at 42 weeks. Now the other MW is saying, maybe consider some testing at 40 weeks. Or certainly schedule it by 41 (in the hopes that baby will be born by then). They agree that my blood sugar numbers are so good that my risk profile is not really any different than anyone else. But they also say, they are not sure what the research says about that. And, I am 37, so there is the "elderly mother" risk too.

I am not eager to start NSTs and biophysicals. But I wonder if part of it has to do with just the hassle and me being lazy and tired. And I've never had a NST in my previous 2 pregnancies. I had one biophysical with #2 but it was a non-event. Everything looked fine, we couldn't see much by then b/c she was crammed in there. Basically we learned nothing new (already knew her position). And the size estimate was kind of... well the error range was huge. And we all know I am going to have a big baby.... so its not like I need a biophysical to tell me that.

Do you think I am being too blase? I am thinking of going ahead and scheduling stuff for 41 weeks. And which do you think is more relevant?

Old 10-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

so, do any of you have any input or thoughts?

my midwives are pretty much letting me decide how much prenatal testing/monitoring to do. We were talking about setting up a biophysical and/or NSTs, but when? and the question is, which? they would have to be in totally different locations, both of which would be at least a 90minute travel for me on public transpo (with my 2yo). And because I have medicaid (insurance for low income women) which is run through an HMO here in NYC, many hospitals and centers won't take my insurance.

At first we said start at 42 weeks. Now the other MW is saying, maybe consider some testing at 40 weeks. Or certainly schedule it by 41 (in the hopes that baby will be born by then). They agree that my blood sugar numbers are so good that my risk profile is not really any different than anyone else. But they also say, they are not sure what the research says about that. And, I am 37, so there is the "elderly mother" risk too.

I am not eager to start NSTs and biophysicals. But I wonder if part of it has to do with just the hassle and me being lazy and tired. And I've never had a NST in my previous 2 pregnancies. I had one biophysical with #2 but it was a non-event. Everything looked fine, we couldn't see much by then b/c she was crammed in there. Basically we learned nothing new (already knew her position). And the size estimate was kind of... well the error range was huge. And we all know I am going to have a big baby.... so its not like I need a biophysical to tell me that.

Do you think I am being too blase? I am thinking of going ahead and scheduling stuff for 41 weeks. And which do you think is more relevant?

Emma, have you made any decisions?  I've been going in once a week for NSTs, it's a hassle, I hear you about being tired and not wanting to bother.  I lived in NYC for many years and commuted on subway/NJ transit train up until the end of my first pregnancy, and I can't imagine hauling my pregnant self across the city for 90+ minutes with a toddler in tow.  Still, after reading Dragonfly's story about a bad NST followed by immediate action made me take NSTs more seriously.  If I were you I'd probably schedule one for 41 weeks at least.  Hopefully baby will come sooner.

As for me, I'm scheduled for induction on Friday 10/21.  I will be 39+1. Counting the days....

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 10-16-2011, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks NicaG, I pretty much decided the same- I will go ahead and schedule a NST at 41weeks and go from there.

Pretty sure that I'm going to be the only GD mom left standing in our DDC though... what with a late EDD (10/24) and HCPs who don't induce before 42/43 weeks

Old 10-25-2011, 12:55 AM

Wow - this thread was really buried!

Here's an article I think everyone might find interesting.

I also am curious - how big did our babies end up being?

dd arrived at 40 weeks & 8lbs 14oz - bs was well controlled throughout. In comparison ds was 39 weeks & 8lbs 9oz - bs was only really well-controlled for the last few weeks.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Lifeguard I don't see the link? can you try again?

My DD was 9lbs at 40+4, very well-controlled GD. DS was 8lb6oz, no GD dx (was screened 3 times), at 38+1. SO, he was actually bigger if you consider he would have likely put on another pound+ in the 16 days of extra gestation that his sister had. Curious about this one. feels big!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 AM

I'll try again - sorry.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

oh and I see one of the MWs today (its THE BEST, they come to my house!) and after discussing with the other MW last week, she advised I schedule a BPP first, and we'll go from there. She said not for size check, but to check on fluid level, blood flow and condition of the placenta, and muscle tone of the baby. We'll schedule it for 41 weeks and hopefully I won't need it. (cause I'll have the baby first). They said they get much more info from BPP than NST.

and lifeguard, thanks for posting that! I'd read that each 6m of breastfeeding reduces moms risk of type II later in life but this looks more focused and explains a possible mechanism too. good news! I've already been BFing for 4 1/2 years.... so.... expecting at least to go a total of 6.5 to 7 years of BFIng total over the 3 kids... nice to have SOMETHING reducing my risks b/c it seems like I've got quite a few.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 AM

emmaegbert - I agree - it is rare you find something concrete that says it reduces your risk.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

pretty sure I was the last GD mom standing, but I thought I'd just update that my baby was... SMALL!

She was born at home, no induction or anything, at 40+4 (exactly the same gestational age as my second). She is 21 inches and 7lbs14oz. I was so surprised when I picked her up at her size... my second baby was 9lbs. She looks so different- skinny butt, skinny legs... but we love her.

My labor was very short (active labor was about 45 minutes, though there was a bunch of stop and start early labor for about 12 hours before the birth). We didn't bother monitoring blood sugar during or after. I suppose if anything seemed "off" the MWs would have but she was just fine.

Placenta was in perfect shape too. (deteriorating placenta is a concern with GD as I am sure you ladies know).

Old 10-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

I also am curious - how big did our babies end up being?

Jasper was born 40 weeks exactly and weighed 5 pounds 14.4 ounces...

User Tag List