Who's having a hospital birth (and looking forward to it!?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondered how many of us are planning a hospital birth, and are actually looking forward to it rather than dreading it?

My story is a bit convoluted, but I'll try to make it concise.

Birth #1 Water broke at 32 weeks, baby obviously born in hospital

Birth #2 Homebirth with wonderful midwife. Baby girl stillborn.

Birth #3 Induced hospital birth (no pain meds or epi) b/c of pre-eclampsia, midwife also attended

Birth #4 Homebirth with same midwife; also attended by our family doc

Which brings us to this pregnancy. In the almost-three years since our last child was born, our midwife has retired. After all we've been through together, I am quite certain she would have provided care for me, but I felt awkward asking for special treatment. We have remained friend over the years, and I'm thinking of seeing if she would do some post-partum visits.

After our stillbirth, we began seeing a family doctor in a close-by community. He's the same age as my husband and I, and all three of his own children were born at home (attended by the same midwife we used). He's very natural and hands-off, while still being thorough and objective, if that makes sense. When my third pregnancy needed medical management, he did so in a very respectful, conservative way. Our hospital experience was first-rate. It's a small hospital, and the nurses were totally on board with our doctor's way of thinking. I truly felt like I had a "natural birth".

With our fourth pregnancy, both my midwife and doc were at our homebirth. I was very grateful to have some extra hands, as our daughter was over 10 lbs and was "wedged" in the birth canal, for lack of a more scientific term. Crowning was excruciatingly slow; they quickly repositioned me and got her delivered. She was very blue and floppy for the first few minutes and required resuscitation. Very frightening to watch, especially after having been through a loss.

And so, when I found out I was pregnant this time, I felt in my heart as if the hospital was an appropriate choice for us. It sounds strange, but I'm actually really excited for it, knowing what a wonderful experience we had last time.

Anyone else care to share your story?

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

#2 of 43 Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know about looking forward, but I'm okay with it. I never dreamed of a home birth so it's not that, and I know it would be a terrible idea for me--I just had a really bad experience with my first. I had preeclampsia that was not caught as soon as it should have been (OB did not monitor me aggressively despite very high BP) and needed an emergency C without ever going into labor. I did it in a very badly run hospital, and it was traumatic.

My OB has okayed me for TOLAC but neither of us think my BP is going to behave (it's already looking a bit suspicious) and I need to be prepared for a repeat C and possibly an early-term one. I don't think she's being unsupportive; I think it's just an uncomfortable truth, and there was a study showing that expectant management of high BP at term had higher morbidity than delivery at 37 weeks. That's really what I'm not looking forward to; if I really thought I was going to have a VBAC, I could look forward to doing it at a hospital I like with an OB I trust, because I think this experience will be much better than my first.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#3 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 05:21 AM

I'm pretty darned excited at this point.

I'm a bit anxious about hospitals because I spent about six years as a frequent flyer with my sick dad and the idea of being a patient in one makes me squimish.  BUT, the maternity floor is rather different than the oncology floor and my doctors have really been wonderful.  My endo team will come during the labor if we're having trouble controlling things ourselves and they always have someone on call for after to help me adjust and get sorted out.  My OB is very comfortable with t1 diabetes and said that she doesn't believe in intervening unless it is necessary.  I will be monitored very closely at the end, and decisions about c-sections and inductions will be made after we discuss the risks and benefits.  She was very open that she feels a c-section is major surgury and shouldn't be entered into lightly.  I also like that the hospital is a five minute drive from my house, so if everything goes smoothly and according to plan, (ha) I can labor at home for a while without stressing about traffic, etc.  If I do deliver prematurely, they have a great NICU, my friend who is a doula has had nothing but positive things to say about the unit. 

I'm feeling confident about the decision, I know I would be a nervous wreck to not go in a hospital.  In my ideal mind's eye, things might be different, but that doesn't detract from my excitment about all of this.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#4 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 06:33 AM

This is my first pregnancy and I chose a hospital birth right off the bat - I know I would be too nervous at home. I'm having my regular family doc deliver. She is really open and supportive to whatever choices I make, so I think it will be a good experience. We're also having a doula support us so that we have another person to help out if nurses or anyone else tries to mess with my birth plan unnecessarily. I'm hoping the doula can help to make it is natural as possible, though I haven't ruled out certain things like epidurals. I'm just trying to keep an open mind on everything, knowing I might need to be flexible.

And I'm just excited for the typical birth situation, cheesy as it is.  The photos of the three of us in the hospital with me looking haggard, family sitting in the waiting room anxious to see us, that drive home where my husband and I will probably be saying, " Oh sh**! We have an infant that is all our responsibility! Now what?!?"   Plus my husband works at the hospital so I think it will be fun to be able to show off our little one to his co-workers.

#5 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 07:09 AM

excited, no? resigned yes. my first baby was a c-section post failed induction (well, I got to 7 cm and 80 % effaced, after 26 hours) now I know DS's head was asynclintic or however that is spelled - at anyrate, it wasn't aligned properly.

In our area, HBACs if not out-and-out illegal (for the attending midwife) are strongly discouraged and good luck finding a midwife willing to risk attending you. I am not yet comfortable with UC, so I am resigned to the hospital birth. I am, however, extremely excited about my doula. found her through MDC, and she seems awesome thus far, having also had a VBAC at the hospital where I will be, less than a year ago.

I think wherever you choose to birth, you need to be at peace with the decision. I am trying for that :)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#6 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 09:07 AM

Not so much excited as ready for battle. orngtongue.gif This baby will be born in the same hospital as my last one, and that was a horrible experience. We don't have any other viable options, and I am absolutely not comfortable with a home birth, so I am preparing myself and arming myself with knowledge, birth plan, and a completely different mindset than last time. This is my baby, my pregnancy, my birth, and by golly it will be a good one! I will be clear about what I want, I will not put up with being treated as a second class citizen again, I will not take any crap from anybody, doctor or nurse. They may not like me after I'm done, but I will have a good experience this time!!

Probably not exactly the kind of answer you were looking for. I guess it shows that my last experience was rather traumatic. redface.gif

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#7 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM

Iris, have you looked into a doula? Can't say my first experience was traumatic exactly, but it was exactly predicatable, the way it was managed, even as informed as I was, there was a lot that I allowed that I wish I had not.  I feel having a doula this time around will help my voice and desires be heard. Also hopefully will decrease the chances of a repeat c/s.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#8 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 AM

I've considered getting a doula, but right now we are barely able to make ends meet as it is, so hiring a doula is just not feasible at the moment. It does seem like a good solution, to have someone to go to bat for me. DH is not a take-charge kind of person, he usually just sits in a chair nearby and gets me a cold cloth for my forehead if I ask for it. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#9 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 10:55 AM

You might look and see if there are any doulas in training so to speak who may be willing to work with you on price, or attend you pro bono since they need to attend a certain number of births for certification. There are fully trained doulas who also may be willing. Just a thought.

#10 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 11:50 AM

You could try asking around to see it there is a doula who has a sliding fee scale. There are some in my town (and it's not a big city) that do a sliding scale so that every woman who wants a doula can get one.

#11 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 PM

I can't say I'm 'looking forward' to birth particularly (although I'm certainly looking forward to the results!) but in terms of birth location the hospital is absolutely my first choice.  I had a very straightforward intervention-free hospital birth with my awesome and supportive midwife team last time, and with luck things will go smoothly this time as well.  If by chance they don't, I feel very comfortable knowing the hospital's resources are there for us if we need them.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#12 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 PM

Well I hope that someday I get to have a homebirth but its not to be for this baby. We have one midwife who is moving out of town in June so a hospital birth is my only option. That being said I had a positive experience birthing my daughter at this hospital. The staff was very respectful of my birth plan and I had no interventions. So its not home but I know I'll get the hospital birth I want.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#13 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 02:10 PM

I am very, very high risk and wouldn't feel comfortable planning to have my baby anywhere but a hospital surrounded by medical staff. I am (gasp) actually looking forward to that security....a hospital birth won't stop me from having the kind of birth experience I want or being content with it. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#14 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm not planning a hospital birth unless I go into labour before 37 weeks (which is possible, since I've had a number of babies before that date before).  But to be honest, I am not stressed should I have go into hospital.  With some of my previous births I was so worried and stressed and this time I'm at peace that if I needed to go in, I will do so.   I think that being willing to do whatever is best for you and your baby even if it isn't what you would prefer is great!

#15 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 03:29 PM

At first I was pretty hesitant about a hospital birth, but I've gotten more comfortable and excited about it.  I like the midwives I'm seeing and I think they will support my desires about the birth.  I visited the labor & delivery unit and I think it looks fine.  I like that they do all the cleaning and provide supplies and that the birth rooms come with big sanitized hot tubs, and I've heard good things about birth at that hospital.  I also have a doula lined up.  I do get nervous sometimes thinking about nurses yelling at me, but I hope that with my midwives and my doula and a birth plan and just me standing up for myself that can be avoided.  So yeah, in general I'm looking forward to my hospital birth. 

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#16 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 04:01 PM

I am looking forward to my hospital birth, and my epidural!  Yes, I said it.

I have had 4 unmedicated births.  With the 3rd I experienced leg and hip labor where the contractions were as strong in my legs as in my abdomen.  I was paralyzed during contractions and could not use my legs (so I couldn't walk through them to stay active).  I also felt like my hips were being ripped apart.  I assumed it was a fluke and that a home waterbirth would solve things next time.

Next time turned out to be the most horrific experience of my life minus the fact that I got my beautiful daughter out of it.  I was so traumatized by the pain (hip, leg labor, prolonged pushing stage because she put her arm up at the wrong moment and was stuck-- and the midwife tried every trick in the book, nothing helped) that I was diagnosed with PTSD afterward.  I knew there was no cause or reason in the universe for any mother to experience that kind of pain.  When I conceived again I had a moment of revelation that I would simply have epidurals from now on and all would be fine-- and it was more than fine-- I have since had 2 beautiful hospital births with epidurals and brought my daughters into the world with no pain or complications at all.  I am looking forward to doing it again!

#17 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 PM

I'm mostly looking forward to it, just a little nervous because its a different ob practice since my previous ob left the area. I had dd in the same hospital and the nurses were great, I'm just hoping the doctors are patient. I will most likely get an epidural though, I'm pretty wimpy :-P

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

#18 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintattoo View Post I will most likely get an epidural though, I'm pretty wimpy :-P

Warning: deviation from original subject, and by no means an invitation to heated debate:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Objection! Getting an epidural has absolutely nothing to do with being wimpy. I've had two, and I assure you I am anything but a wimp. And I would bet good money that neither are you! hug2.gif

Back to your regular scheduled programming! orngbiggrin.gif

#19 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

Warning: deviation from original subject, and by no means an invitation to heated debate:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Objection! Getting an epidural has absolutely nothing to do with being wimpy. I've had two, and I assure you I am anything but a wimp. And I would bet good money that neither are you! hug2.gif

Back to your regular scheduled programming! orngbiggrin.gif

Thanks love.gif I had one last time, it wore off at 8cm and that was no treat. My  mom heard me say a lot of words she never thought she would hear me say lol

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

#20 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Ouch! With my first they did an awesome job, I got it after 33 hours of labor at 4 cm dilated, and it had worn off exactly when I was ready to push! By then I was so focused on the task at hand that I don't really remember a lot of pain, just a whole lot of hard work and being exhausted at one point (after an hour and a half).

Having my baby yanked out with the vacuum pump, yeah, that hurt. But it was necessary, her heart rate was dropping drastically and it was either that or an emergency C section.  Being stitched up without analgesics hurt too (my OB was freaking out because I was bleeding all over the place and she could't figure out where it came from, so when she finally located the tear caused by the pump, she just started stitching away lol). Even so, it was an awesome birth!! 

Second birth they did a lousy job, I was completely numb until hours after the birth. irked.gif

#21 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 07:11 PM

In some ways I am looking forward to it. I don't feel uncomfortable or scared in hospitals. I like that someone else will keep everything clean & tidy & I don't have to worry about any of that. I do like that everything is close by (we now live fairly rural so a homebirth would mean a pretty good commute to transfer).

I will admit I am a little bit nervous about having unnecessary interventions. My first birth was a hospital birth & was really quite pleased with the experience but this is a different country, different hospital, different doctor so it's hard to say what will happen.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#22 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 07:12 PM

On the subject of pain medication...I've had IV pain medication (two births), epidurals (two births), and this time around I'm aiming for no pain medication. One birth did not make me more or less of a mother (or better or worse as a mother) or scored me more brownie points with Mother Earth or God than the other. I want to go non-medicated this time around because the IV pain meds offered me little relief and only for short periods of time but made me loopy (not worth it) and with my last birth I labored too fast to make me feel the epidural was worth it though the epidural was a god-send with our son's birth. 

I am arming myself with as much knowledge about natural birth as I can. I understand that it may be harder to do in a hospital but I think what's important is a mutual respectful relationship with open communication with your birthing staff, whomever they are.  

#23 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 PM

I'm having a hospital birth as well.  I'd love to have a homebirth, but money-wise it's just not going to happen.  But my first hospital birth experience was so lovely that I'm totally at peace with my decision to have a 2nd hospital birth. 

First time around,  my experience was about as close to homelike birth in the hospital as you can get.  My midwife was wonderful, the doula was amazing, my L & D nurse was supportive of natural birth, and I was pretty much allowed to do whatever I wanted.  I spent a lot of time in the shower with people spraying water on my back, and I've since learned that the hospital actually has inflatable birth tubs you can use.  The only interventions I was stuck with were a heplock in my arm and having to put on the external monitor for a few minutes occasionally. Both of which were ok with me.   After the baby was born, nobody hassled me about not doing the antibiotic in the eyes, or delaying the whole weight/length thing.  I was encouraged to breastfeed and room with the baby.  A lactation consultant came to see me, which was really helpful.    It was honestly pretty nice and I have nothing but good memories.

So since I know a good experience is possible, and since  I'll be with the same midwife practice in the same hospital with the same doula,  I'm really hoping and expecting to have a great experience this time as well.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#24 of 43 Old 05-19-2011, 02:22 PM

I will be having a hospital birth, but I'm not necessarily looking forward to it. I see it as something that just has to be done in order to get my little cutie in the end :) I had a hospital birth with my ds (induced, labored for about 40ish hours then got the epidural then 4 hours later I started pushing, after 10 minutes of pushing ds was out). It wasn't bad, but it wasn't fantastic. This time we'll be in a different hospital with a different doctor so I'm a little nervous about that. From what the doctor and nurses have said, this particular doctor is pretty supportive of whatever mom wants. He doesn't push drugs or interventions unless completely necessary. He tries to attend all of "his" patients births (I'm in an office with like 5 doctors so whoever is on call delivers, unless your regular doctor wants to come in). I would like to do it without any interventions or pain meds this time but we'll see. I told dh I plan on laboring at home as long as possible and, if I'm uncertain, I'll just have him take me to the hospital and labor in the car until I absolutely have to go inside the hospital lol.gif Yes, I'm stubborn orngtongue.gif Actually, I was teasing dh the other day that he's going to go to work some day and come home that night to a newborn baby, born in our bathtub, but I'll have cleaned up the mess, taken care of the baby, picked up ds from school and had a homemade dinner on the table by the time he gets home. He didn't find the humor in that one winky.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#25 of 43 Old 05-20-2011, 03:04 PM

I am planning a hospital birth. I had all three girls in the hospital with an OB and this one will be the same. I also plan on getting the epidural. In the last few weeks of pregnancy I am usually so tense from the pain of dealing with SPD that by body does not relax enough for my cervix to dialate on it's own (until that lovely epidural kicks in) so I have been induced with each baby as well. This time I am happy to say that so far my SPD in almost non-existant and I am hoping things stay this way! Usually by now (22 weeks) I am miserable. I plan on avoiding being induced with pitocin this time but will not go more than 2-3 days past my due date without requesting that they strip my membranes. It worked well with my 4 year old so I am praying that if I don't go into labor on my own that it will work this time again too!!

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#26 of 43 Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View PostDH is not a take-charge kind of person, he usually just sits in a chair nearby and gets me a cold cloth for my forehead if I ask for it. 

DDCC. I felt this way about my husband too, but we took a Bradley method class together and now he seems a lot more confident that he knows what to expect and has thought about how he'll handle it, and I think now he is a ton more prepared to advocate for me in labor and help me get what I want out of the birth experience. Maybe something like this would be an option for you and your husband if you haven't already tried it with a previous birth.

#27 of 43 Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 PM

I am actually looking forward to a hospital birth.  I get gestational diabetes when I'm pregnant.  This has a few implications: I am not allowed to go past my due date, so I've been induced both times; the baby needs extra monitoring during labor; my babies get bad jaundice after birth, so it's good to have access to the NICU.  My first labor was not great.  I was somewhat clueless and in retrospect I was really lucky to have an ob who didn't rush things.  My labor progressed slowly and then I pushed for 2.5 hours.  I could have easily ended up with a c-section. 

My second labor was much better, and I will be delivering at that hospital again.  I was induced again, but I was happy that I got to pick the day and the dr. on call.  She had seen me for the majority of my office visits and knew my history well.  The attending nurse was really really great.  I was really focused throughout, and I felt much more in control than during my first labor. I did get an epidural (it's hard to avoid with an induced labor), but I was able to feel everything that was going on.  I still pushed for 2+ hours, but that's just my fate, I guess. The worst part was everyone saying things like, "this is your second baby, the labor will go really fast" and "this is your second baby, she'll be born within the hour" and then I pushed for two more hours.  Maybe #3 will be the quick baby!

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#28 of 43 Old 05-24-2011, 05:15 AM

I am! I am a L&D RN  (albeit a crunchy onewinky.gif), and will deliver where I work. I delivered DS2 there in '09 and it was a wonderful experience, all natural, no interventions being pushed on me. My OB and I get along well, and I have no issues telling him 'no' (like to the gestational diabetes test, cervical checks, and so on...). I have fast labors and precipitous deliveries, so I hope for the same again.

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#29 of 43 Old 05-24-2011, 05:38 AM

What do you all consider a "fast" labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-the-lake View Post

I am! I am a L&D RN  (albeit a crunchy onewinky.gif), and will deliver where I work. I delivered DS2 there in '09 and it was a wonderful experience, all natural, no interventions being pushed on me. My OB and I get along well, and I have no issues telling him 'no' (like to the gestational diabetes test, cervical checks, and so on...). I have fast labors and precipitous deliveries, so I hope for the same again.

#30 of 43 Old 05-24-2011, 05:45 AM

All 3 of mine were 5 hours, first contraction to delivery. Precipitous delivery for me means little to no pushing.

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page