Dilated and thinning cervix - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just got back from my midwife appointment. It looks like I am about 1 cm dilated and she said it feels like my cervix is thinning. I'm scheduled for a sonogram tomorrow to check my cervix. I of course looked up incompetent cervix online when I got home (big mistake) and now I'm a nervous wreck. I have been having braxton hicks contractions (not regular) and on Sunday I felt a lot of pelvic pressure. I am currently 18 weeks 4 days pregnant. Has anyone been through this before?

Neeka - mom to DS-4 and wife to computer fanatic DH
#2 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 12:27 PM

I haven't, but I couldn't read and not reply. That must be so unnerving. Here's an order for you: stay away from Google! Google is not your friend right now. hug2.gif I would post this on the "I'm pregnant" board as well, you will reach more people that way. Hang in there, try not to freak out, there are lots of things that can be done to keep your babe safely inside! 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#3 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM

Hi Neeka,

It sounds like you're under some stress for this, and I'm sorry you're going through this!  Can I make a very small suggestion?  Throw out the term "incompetent cervix."  Yes, for some women, their cervix does become "overeager."  But, there is absolutely nothing "incompetent" about your body, or any woman's body.  On a personal level, I have a huge objection to medical teminology using such a term that I personally find degrading.

You know where that term came from anyway?  A male OB.  Can you imagine if they started calling erectile dysfunction an "incompetent penis?"  It would never happen.  And even if your cervix is a little overeager, that doesn't make it incompetent.

I have a fellow classmate who has had overeager cervixes in 4 out of 5 pregnancies.  All of her babies went full term and were healthy.  She had a cerclage, which is basically stitches in the cervix, which were removed at about 36 weeks.  She did end up having to go on bedrest for the last month or so, but again, she went full-term (and vaginal births) for all of her children. 

Keep us posted, and keep your chin up. 

dear abbey likes this.

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#4 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 PM

I had a couple people in my very first DDC have to have stitches in their cervix to prevent preterm birth.  It was sort of scary, I'm sure, but everything ended up being just fine!  I hope that it's not even that severe a case for you, though.  Thoughts and prayers are with you!  I'll be watching for an update.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#5 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 02:05 PM

My OBs have told me 1CM is nothing for someone that has had children before. Why is she checking you this early? Any particular reason? 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#6 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 02:22 PM

(((HUGS)))  I bet it must be really scary!  I agree that you need to stay away from Google.  :)  Could you maybe call the midwife back and ask her to talk to you about it.  Tell her that you are anxious.  I bet she would be more than happy to chat to you and put your mind at ease.

As much as I think that we can trust our bodies, I am very grateful for the medical intervention that is available when things don't work perfectly (as evidently they don't always work, despite what we would like to believe).   There would definitely be something they can do to help you should this something of real concern.

Amy, I would like to respectfully disagree with you.  I don't think dysfunction is really any better sounding than incompetent!  :) :) :)  I have a number of friends who required a stitch.  And a number who didn't.  All worked well in the end.  :) :) 

#7 of 14 Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the support. We had the sonogram and right now we are waiting to hear back from the midwife. The tech said the radiologist should be sending a report to her later today or tomorrow morning. So for now, I am supposed to take it easy.

The initial reason why the midwife checked my cervix so early was that for the past week I have been having braxton hicks contractions every time I am active. Also, on Sunday, I felt a lot of pelvic pressure.

The good news was that I got to see the baby bouncing around and it was wonderful. For some reason, it relieved a lot of my stress. We also found out we are having a girl.

I'll keep everyone updated as I get more news. Thanks again for the kind words everyone. It really helped last night when I was feeling out of sorts.

#8 of 14 Old 05-19-2011, 04:09 PM

I am thinking very good things for you! 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#9 of 14 Old 05-19-2011, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am also thinking good things for you.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#10 of 14 Old 05-19-2011, 06:33 PM

Congrats on finding out it's a girl!

Thinking good thoughts for you.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#11 of 14 Old 05-19-2011, 11:36 PM
~pi

Congrats on the girl! I am hoping all is well.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#12 of 14 Old 05-20-2011, 12:28 PM

Congrats on the little girl, Neeka!  Have you heard anything else?  Thinking of you!

#13 of 14 Old 05-20-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

My midwife called today to say that everything looks good. She does want me to take it easy because of the braxton hicks contractions that occur when I'm active. If I experience any extreme pressure again or contractions that don't go away after an hour of rest, I'm to call immediately and go in to be checked.

Thank you everyone for the good thoughts. I feel so relieved right now.

Gabesgrrrl likes this.

#14 of 14 Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 PM
~pi

Great news!! I'm so glad everything is OK. Hooray for being relieved!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page