Chat Thread: 5/22-5/28 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 82 Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yesterday we had an awesome prenatal.  Our midwives tried to listen to the heartbeat with the fetoscope (the stethoscope with the forehead bar), and I was totally prepared that she wouldn't be able to hear it this early (19w2d).  But the midwive heard it (144 bpm), and then the apprentice tried to hear it but couldn't.  Then DH wanted to try, and he moved the piece around a bit and actually found it, so he called out and gave the earpiece back to the apprentice, who heard it.  Then DH, supper talented hubby he is, found it again, and got to listen.

I'm totally amazed... listening with a fetoscope is tough, and it takes a ton of practice to train your ear, especially for DH who hasn't ever done it. The MW said this was the earliest she's ever heard the HB with a fetoscope.  I can't believe all 3 heard it.  DH handed me the ear piece, but all I could hear was baby kicking and moving, but I don't even care!  I'm so in love with little Omee (our fetus) right now, thinking about its strong little heart beat.  And it has been moving a TON... like all night long even.  I love it!

Pi- I know what you mean- in the last week or so, I've found myself much more sensitive and easily feeling queasy.  I've found it to be linked to protein, so as long I have some fat & protein, I feel better.  Maybe you were needing the fat from the chips too!

Leiahs- I have found myself so sensitive to troubling things I hear in the news, and have been having nightmares.  This is not to say I don't care about destruction, pain, and sadness going around in the world, but I have found that I need to disconnect from the news.  Part of me feels socially irresponsible for my desire to avoid any emotional involvement in things happening around us, but I also feel strongly about wanting to keep my baby "safe" in any way I can, and from experiencing any fear or negative emotions I feel.  I can imagine it is a typical response to be much more emotional about things we see and hear (especially bad/sad news), and I think that is related to thinking about the kind of world we're bringing the child into.  For me, I've had to make a choice to adopt somewhat of an "ignorance is bliss" mentality.  Otherwise, it makes me feel hopeless, especially that there is so much going on that I can't stop or fix, and I was having bad dreams.  It is very sad and scary to think about so many awful things going on around us.  But, I also have so much faith that life is truly beautiful, and there are also wonderful things happening around us all the time.

Rosemary- Is there anything you CAN'T do?  I am continually impressed by your many talents which are slowly revealing themselves to us... On behalf of the entire October DDC, we all are amazed at your painting, gardening, and if we could taste your cooking, I'm sure we would be too!  Good luck for Monday!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#62 of 82 Old 05-27-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Rosemary! That's quite the undertaking! And to think, I have a hard time getting dinner on the table for 3 people some days... LOL! Good luck!!!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#63 of 82 Old 05-27-2011, 05:29 PM

Thought of you ladies today . . .

While I was walking my dogs, I was chatting away out loud in Spanish, which is my bear deterrent technique (that and my dog who would certainly sacrifice her life to save me from a bear, but has a good bark so probably wouldn't need to).  I was talking about mosquitoes and mosquito-borne illness, as well as I can in my not-so-great Spanish.  I tried to say something about malaria, realized I didn't know the word for it in Spanish, decided to say it in English and then just plain couldn't think of it.  I'm a word nerd.  I love words.  I'm also a biologist who has traveled in places where malaria exists.  My uncle, aunt, and three cousins all had malaria when they lived in Papua New Guinea.  Usually if I approach a word from different angles, it works.  So my thoughts went like this:

"You take quinone to prevent . . . malarky?"

"Mosquito-borne illnesses such as . . . malarky."

etc.

It took me about 10 minutes to think of the right word.  I know this happens to me normally, so it's not just pregnancy brain, but it usually takes me 10-30 SECONDS to think of it, not minutes!  Ha!

Amy May:  I'm glad you had such a good prenatal appointment

Steph:  I'm glad you have a way to deal with MIL, even if it doesn't always work.  Sounds like your DH does a good job of stepping up, though, so good on him!

Rosemary:  I admire your energy.  Also your garden, it's lovely.  So vertical, I'm a little jealous of that aspect of it, and the fact that it's presumably much earlier than mine.

Leiah:  I'm nearly that sensitive all the time, I can barely imagine what I'd do if I watched the news while pregnant.  Personally, I don't feel too bad about mostly shutting out bad news.  I don't think we were made to know about the trials and tribulations of such a large amount of people.  I think we were given so much sympathy because it helped us and helped the people around us, not so we would feel bad whenever something bad happened to anyone anywhere.  I still DO feel bad, mind you, and I want to help all those who need help, but I have to recognize that part of "accepting the things I cannot change" for me is to accept that horrible things happen to people, but not inform myself of the details unless I know them personally, or my knowing the details can help them.  Not really a suggestion, I just thought I'd mention my way of coping with that phenomenon in my daily life.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#64 of 82 Old 05-28-2011, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It's been hard for me to come check this board for the last couple of days. We had a hottish day yesterday, and I forgot how it can make kids grow spontaneous horns. DS grew these horns. No fun!

Amy May, that sounds like a great appointment. My FIL sent us a stethoscope with ds but it totally did not work, which is no surprise! Do you have a fetoscope, or is it your midwives'?

I'm flattered that people think I have a lot of energy for the catering. We'll see on Friday...I sent the price list a couple of minutes ago, and it's not a done deal until it's approved, anyway.

Pi, so sorry that you're feeling badly again.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#65 of 82 Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM

We got a fetoscope from Amazon and tried it out yesterday with no success.  Any secrets?  How hard should you push?  Is there some magic angle to try?  I just had DH stick it in various places on my abdomen, do the forehead thing, and listen for a bit.  I'm 20W5D today, and we'll keep trying as things progress.  

It amazes me that we're almost at the end of another week.  And, this is a little dark, but it really really amazes me that, in another few weeks, my baby will have a chance of surviving on the outside.  

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#66 of 82 Old 05-28-2011, 06:08 PM

I was thinking of that recently too, Yellowdart. I had an online friend who gave birth to her son around 27 weeks. He's a perfectly healthy almost 4 year old. It's just mind-blowing!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#67 of 82 Old 05-28-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

It amazes me that we're almost at the end of another week.  And, this is a little dark, but it really really amazes me that, in another few weeks, my baby will have a chance of surviving on the outside.  

I've been thinking about that too, Yellowdart. I was talking to dh about the odds as the weeks go on. He was amazed because he really had no idea that babies can survive that early.
Certainly we want the baby to cook as long as possible, but it is nice to think in terms of when the baby has a good chance of surviving. At the daycare I worked at we had a little boy who was born at 25ish weeks at just over a pound and not only did he survive, he was perfectly healthy. He had a speech delay at 2 years old (when I worked with him) but was an absolute joy to be around.

I brought up circumcision to dh when we first found out we were pregnant and, at that time, he was pretty adamant that he wanted the baby to be circumcised. We had a short discussion about it where I told him I wasn't convinced (even though he and ds are circumcised) and then we dropped it. So I brought it up again today over lunch and, to my surprise, dh said that he had been researching it a lot over the last few months and that he trusts me and will agree to not circ if that's what I decide. We agreed that there are situations where it's warranted, but NOT as a routine, everyday thing. If it turns out that our little boy is having issues and the dr recommends circ'ing, then we'll revisit the issue and decide at that point. I am still constantly amazed at how much dh is willing to actually research things instead of just inserting his opinion and refusing to consider anything else (that's how my ex was/is). DH has done a great job being open-minded and doing his own research, as well as listening to me!

#68 of 82 Old 05-28-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

I brought up circumcision to dh when we first found out we were pregnant and, at that time, he was pretty adamant that he wanted the baby to be circumcised. We had a short discussion about it where I told him I wasn't convinced (even though he and ds are circumcised) and then we dropped it. So I brought it up again today over lunch and, to my surprise, dh said that he had been researching it a lot over the last few months and that he trusts me and will agree to not circ if that's what I decide. We agreed that there are situations where it's warranted, but NOT as a routine, everyday thing. If it turns out that our little boy is having issues and the dr recommends circ'ing, then we'll revisit the issue and decide at that point. I am still constantly amazed at how much dh is willing to actually research things instead of just inserting his opinion and refusing to consider anything else (that's how my ex was/is). DH has done a great job being open-minded and doing his own research, as well as listening to me!

It's nice that your conversations have led your DH to go along with you so easily.  It was a real sore point with my first boy - I never got to the point of laying down an ultimatum, but once I approached my DH in full-blown tears because he wasn't agreeing with me, he thankfully decided to go along.  It's nice to see how he's done a 180 the last few years, now that we've got 2 intact boys.  In fact, my 3yo just had a little issue with redness and soreness (I'm 99.9% positive it was separation, according to what I've learned), and while I was sort of freaking out a teeny bit, DH was all, "It's probably just red because it's such thin/sensitive skin" and "Don't worry, he's just fine!"  It is such a comfort to have him on the same page.

At the same time, I just want to say to PLEASE research every single bit you can, and don't stop!  The current medical community is so circumcision-happy that *any* little issue will likely lead to a recommendation for circumcision, especially if the doctor is not foreskin-friendly or even foreskin-knowledgable.  It is not uncommon at all for parents to know more about foreskins than the doctors, so be ready for that, and be on guard.  Even a well-meaning doctor can do harm at a well-baby visit and retract your baby (or toddler, or preschooler, etc.) before you know it.  The CAC forum here is such a good resource, too.  :)

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#69 of 82 Old 05-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Just wanted to jump on in the circumcision talk....I just found out this week at my last OB appointment that medicaid and other insurance companies are no longer covering circumcision. Not only that but she said you have to pre pay for it.  So....that was pretty interesting!  That is definitely a change since my older boys were born. :-)

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#70 of 82 Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 PM

Well I'm having a girl but... my Dr is the first to say circ is a cosmetic surgery. Her own son is intact ( I used to be his nanny!) and while she lets people come to their own conclusion about it will gladly share her opinions if asked. I told DH that if we ever have a boy he will remain intact and there really was no discussion to be had. I know it is his child too but I feel very strongly that my child's body remain as is unless some medical condition warrants some kind of surgery.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#71 of 82 Old 05-28-2011, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We're having a boy, and he'll be intact.  Circumcision is not the done thing here.  You have to pay for it (when everything else around bringing a baby into the world is covered by universal health care) and it is not done in the hospital except for medical necessity.  You have to go to a private clinic to have it done.

That's awesome that your DH came around, Steph

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#72 of 82 Old 05-29-2011, 05:33 PM

My dh was completely on board about not circumcising. His family was perplexed and wanted to know why we didn't do it, and we said we couldn't think of why we would do it, health and cleanliness standards being what they are now and also the fact that we are not Semitic. They don't agree with us, but they don't have to!

#73 of 82 Old 05-30-2011, 04:57 AM

I'm dreading having to have that conversation with DH again. Last time it was diffused by the fact that our baby turned out to be a girl, but this time I am going to have to go all out balls-to-the-wall (no pun intended). DH does this whole passive-aggressive thing that bothers me to no end, painting me as the mean shrew that never lets him have any say. As much as I hate it, I will take that role when it comes to cutting off little bits of my baby boy. It's not happening, and that is that. No discussion possible, non-negotiable, it is just not going to happen. I will give him the first name he wants, and in exchange I want the foreskin intact. Now that sounds like an interesting deal to discuss with family members. orngtongue.gif

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#74 of 82 Old 05-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Snugglebug, whatever deal works, right? LOL Its all about compromise! Heehee You don't have to tell anyone. orngbiggrin.gif I dont know what we will do about circumcision. DP does not want to pay out of pocket for it, but he does want it done. I have always left it up to the daddy to decide on that one, but I am secretly happy that this one may be intact due to the new policies that medicaid has. 

In other news, we have picked a name. Little one will be named Grahm. love.gif   

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#75 of 82 Old 05-30-2011, 03:08 PM

Nice name, Mountaingirl. That must also be a relief to have the name chosen.

I am noticing a (welcome) change in my eating habits and cravings lately. I seem to really be eating more healthfully, less carb-driven and more balanced. The weather has been so good that I am also exercising so I feel pretty healthy.

I got the catering job, and in all honesty, I think it is going to be easy. Mostly just assembly of canapes and crostini, with some cooking and condiment making, but basically nothing at all intimidating. Yay! And my mom's help with the things I don't love to make will be amazing. So that is good.

Having a good week. I can tell the weather is better because this thread is much slower.

#76 of 82 Old 05-30-2011, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mountaingirl- love the name! We don't discuss names IRL with anyone (even just potential names) so everyone will just be surprised at birth. I will say that our top runner right now is probably Kai (Ally- if you happen to read this you are sworn to secrecy! LOL!). But that's still up in the air and could change at any time winky.gif DS wasn't named until he was a day old and "Owen" wasn't even a name I had considered before he was born lol.gif

#77 of 82 Old 05-30-2011, 05:22 PM

Steph, how did Owen the name come to be?

#78 of 82 Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

You know, Owen asked me the same thing a couple weeks ago and I really couldn't give a good answer. I must have heard it at one point during my pregnancy but never considered it. He was supposed to be named "Eli", or so my ex and his family insisted. When he was born he just didn't look like an Eli to me. He was called "baby boy *last name*" for his first day. When we were getting ready to leave the hospital they said that he had to have a name on his birth certificate and "Owen" was the first name that popped into my mind. I asked him if he liked the name Owen and he opened his eyes and looked right at me, so I took it as a sign that he approved love.gif

#79 of 82 Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 PM
~pi

Great name, Mountaingirl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

When we were getting ready to leave the hospital they said that he had to have a name on his birth certificate and "Owen" was the first name that popped into my mind. I asked him if he liked the name Owen and he opened his eyes and looked right at me, so I took it as a sign that he approved love.gif

What a great story! I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

I am noticing a (welcome) change in my eating habits and cravings lately. I seem to really be eating more healthfully, less carb-driven and more balanced. The weather has been so good that I am also exercising so I feel pretty healthy.

Ditto. I am very happy about this change, too! Great weather helps so much. We spent the whole weekend outdoors and it was fantastic for my mood. (Less good for my To Do list, but such is life.) Good luck with the catering! That's so great that your mom can help.

Re: circ, we didn't circ DS and don't plan to circ this babe, either. It was not an issue at all with DH, for which I am grateful, but had it been necessary, it would have been a hill to die on for me.

Re: names, we initially had Xavier at the top of our list (pronounceable in both French and English, though I prefer the French pronunciation) but we've been giving Théodore (nn Théo) a lot more thought recently. In English it's Theo; in French it's, "TAY-o." My only minor concern is giving the poor kid an accent in his name in case we end up living someplace where that is not generally done, but I think that's manageable.

Though, if this kid does not stop with the nightly 4am super active dance parties, I will probably give him the most embarrassing name I can possibly think of. DO YOU HEAR THAT, NIBLET?

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#80 of 82 Old 05-30-2011, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

~pi ... Our daughter has an accent in her first name (Esmé), and while I love it and believe it to be integral to the name, it has been a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare when it comes to official forms and such, and this is in Canada where French is an official language.  I would actually advise against it.  It's gotten quite tiresome to explain the accent, and here in BC, our medical care issuer doesn't do accents, which I find a-p-p-a-l-l-i-n-g.  Most people entering information into computers don't know how to apply an accent, and so her name often shows up 'wrong' on lists, forms, etc.

My two cents!  Love the name Théo.  It would be top of my list, but I've already used it for a character in one of my books, so it's out.  Love, love, love the name.  And even though my advice is to avoid the accent, if we were to name a baby Théo, darn right we'd insist on an accent again, so how's that for contradicting myself!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#81 of 82 Old 05-31-2011, 07:21 AM
~pi

lol.gif  Thanks for the self-contradicting advice, starling. Esmé was our girl's name for DS, so we clearly have similar taste! Lovely, lovely name. smile.gif

You've pinpointed our issues. I believe Quebec and NB have forms with accents, but they are the only provinces with official francophone/bilingual status. The Official Languages Act apparently doesn't mean that everything gets spelled correctly.

Anyway, I think we will have a better idea of how much of a hassle it might be once I finish arranging my career plans for after mat leave. (I am in the middle of negotiations, so ought to know well before the baby arrives, though good grief this process does drag on.) If we end up in location 1, we will be fine. More than fine, actually, as accents are normal and expected. Location 2, not the same situation at all.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#82 of 82 Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM

We get "Pascual" all the time. Also "Pascaley" (?!?!?) Not many people can apparently pronounce Pascal. headscratch.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page