spotlight May 22-28: Earthmamajen, JoyousJenny, MrsAngelic, StrongFeather, Ababi - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
~pi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hooray, spotlight thread #9!

This week, the spotlight is on:

7 Oct – Earthmamajen (Jenny), #4
7 Oct – JoyousJenny (Jennifer), #2
7 Oct – MrsAngelic (Alicia), #6
7 Oct – StrongFeather (Ida), #2
8 Oct – Ababi (Abbi), #1

Previous weeks:

Week 1: MamaMcBride, ValH, akind1, purplerose, dragondreaming

Week 2: korintherin, auntbeabea, durafemina, ~pi, fourbeautifulgirls

Week 3: JupiteRain48, puente, Shonahsmom, Snugglebugmom

Week 4: capretta, carriede, KristinaMarie, AlexisT, dosergirl

Week 5: Gabesgrrrl, Grahnola Mum, Hannahkatiebell, Jane, NDFanatik

Week 6: snubblenuts, afmom2be, HeatherCPST, Starlit, VTtoPSUmama, Leiahs

Week 7: lovinlife114, Mama_Wolf1982, MOMYS, ameliasmama, JJ'sMom

Week 8: lifeguard, mirabelsmama, mythik, starling&diesel, DragonflyMom

How this works

If your name is listed above, this is a spotlight on you! Please answer all questions you have time for and feel comfortable answering.

Everyone else, ask questions of the five or six DDC members listed. Silly questions, serious questions, whatever you want to know!

When will everyone's thread happen?

I will start a new thread every Sunday. (If anyone else wants to help with this, PM me!)

We'll go in groups of 5-6, working our way down the list. Right now, that means the last spotlight thread will start in mid-September. I am taking the list from capretta's carefully maintained roster, so if you are not on that list, make sure to get on it if you want to be part of the spotlight threads.

What if I don't want to be in the spotlight?

That's OK. Just PM me to let me know. Or just don't answer any questions when your thread comes around.

We are going on the default assumption that people who have signed up on the roster are interested in talking with the rest of us and getting to know each other, but if you don't feel comfortable answering a bunch of questions on a public forum, that's perfectly OK.

What if someone doesn't answer?

This is one of the advantages of having so many people. With 5 people in the spotlight each week, chances are good that at least a few of each group will be able and willing to answer questions.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
~pi

Questions to get us started:

What does your MDC user name mean? How did you choose it?

What are some causes / charities / etc. that are important to you?

Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? (Either all-time faves, or ones you have read lately.)

What are your favorite guilty (or perhaps not so guilty) pleasures?

If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go?

What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self?

How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting?

If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them. If you are a first time mom, tell us what you are most excited about when it comes to starting a family.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:58 AM

What is your favorite, quick go to recipe?

Coffee or Tea?

Do you plan to go grey with grace or dye?

Do you watch TV, what is your favorite show? 

Soup, salad, sandwich - pick two and what type. 

Summer or winter? 

Do you sing in the car? Only when you are alone or when you are with others?

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

Old 05-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Hi there! I haven't been on MDC in forever, but this looks fun! So here we go! smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ababi is what my husband's family calls me, because my first name is Abbi and my husband's cousin is Abi. So they pronounce mine different to avoid confusion... i kinda like it! 

This probably makes me a horrible person in some peoples' eyes, but I'm not big on charities. We are very careful with our money so our future children can have a good home/food/etc... and that is the most important thing to me! But I guess if this qualifies as a cause, I feel very strongly about women being able to make informed birth choices, and am so thankful that I will be able to! 

Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? (Either all-time faves, or ones you have read lately.)
I love to read when I actually take the time! Some all-time faves are the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. Also, the Leven Thumps series and the Artemis Fowl series. Lately, though, my reading material mostly consists of pregnancy books and Parenting magazines. wink1.gif

Hmm.... Soft pretzels, soda (definitely a soda fiend), bubble baths, Glee... not necessarily all together, but that actually sounds really fun! haha biggrinbounce.gif

If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go?

Somewhere warm, with lots of water... I would LOVE to sit on the beach, snorkel, jet-ski, try surfing, and get a great tan... Also, somewhere with a good place to wakeboard would definitely be my cup of tea. surf.gif

What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self?
I was very active, swimming, diving, tennis, basketball, band, jazz band, choir... you name it! But also, I was very sheltered, and as a result fairly rebellious... sneaking out my window to go hook up with my loser boyfriend... If i could tell myself anything, it would be just to relax and not argue with my parents so much... I would have plenty of space to go be a teenager at college.

How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting?

They definitely have a big influence on how I plan to approach parenting (and how I have approached nannying, etc.)... I plan to be fairly strict as my parents were, but to be more logical in my consequences and more open with my kids. I want them to trust me and I want to trust them (something which was seriously lacking in my teen years). I have so many opinions on how I want to raise my kids, and I'm sure they will all change when they're here, right? haha..

If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them. If you are a first time mom, tell us what you are most excited about when it comes to starting a family.

I am going to be a first time mom, and I am sooo excited about EVERYTHING! I am excited to see all the growth and learning, I'm excited for the discipline side of things, to see how well we can raise loving, responsible children... I think I may be most excited about seeing my husband with our little girl. Seeing his love for her might make me explode with joy. I'm sooo excited!! joy.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open-Faced Chicken Pot Pies! Bake refrigerated biscuits (flaky layers is the best), Cook chicken pieces in a pan, pour in chicken broth, turn it into a gravy with some flour, add steamed frozen veggies... Serve over the biscuits! A super easy family favorite for sure.... thumb.gif

Coffee or Tea?

Tea... never could understand the appeal of coffee... That being said, Chai Tea is the best thing ever!!! heartbeat.gif

I have never dyed my hair, and I don't plan on it! I actually really like grey hair on others, so hopefully I will like it on me! But I think I have quite a while before I need to worry about that. orngtongue.gif

We watch all our favorites on Hulu... And we do have lots of favorites! I really enjoy Cougar Town, Glee, Raising Hope, The Office, Community, Modern Family, Parenthood... I think those are the top ones. :)

Salad - Chicken Caesar, any day and every day! Sandwich - Chicken Bacon Ranch from Subway, or French Dip...

Summer or winter? 

Summer!! I get nasty depression in the winter... plus, around here (seattle area) the winter isn't even fun and snowy, its just rainy and cold. And in the summer we go to the lake and wakeboard and go tubing and such! So DEFINITELY summer.. flower.gif

Sometimes... mostly when I'm alone, but occasionally my hubby and I will break out in horrible karaoke-style singing.. It's bad... hehe

Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Sweet or savory for breakfast?

Small town or big city? Do you live in one but long for the other?

Any favorite blogs?

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 05-23-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Questions to get us started:

Earthmamajen is my email and login for most things for about the last 15 years....so it was just easy....originally it was just cause I'm kinda crunchy smile.gif
/>What are some causes / charities / etc. that are important to you?

I work hard to buy local and organic whenever possible, I like raising my own food and cooking from scratch. I'm also pretty passionate about women being empowered in their birth choices.
/>Do you like to read? What are a few of your favorite books? (Either all-time faves, or ones you have read lately.)

I do love to read. My all time favorite author is Madeliene L'Engle her child and adult stuff. Currently I'm reading The Good Good Pig. It's good but slow going. I just got my substitute magazine for mothering...Natural Life and I think I'm really gonna like it a lot.
/>What are your favorite guilty (or perhaps not so guilty) pleasures?

Sugar, sugar and more sugar.....and on the not guilty side...baths.
/>If you could take a one-month trip anywhere in the world, price no object, where would you go?

Ever since Eat Pray Love the book...Bali.
/>What were you like as a teenager? If you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self?

I was a good kid. I'm pretty happy with who I was and am....
/>How do you think your background and childhood influence the way you approach parenting?

I see bits of both parents in me. My mom worked with parents teaching them about temperament while I was in jr high and high school...and I often find myself using those lessons and language.
/>If you already have older children, tell us a little bit about each of them. If you are a first time mom, tell us what you are most excited about when it comes to starting a family.

I almost feel like both, cause it's been so long and it's papa's first time. My oldest son is 12 and he's getting teenagery smile.gif mouthy but still approachable....he's responsible and helpful and mostly we enjoy each other.
Middle son is 10 and he's emotional and sweet. He's the neatest of my kids (gets that from his dad) likes to get things done and have things in place. (god help him cause in my experience life isn't neat very often smile.gif )
My 8 year old son is still cuddly but definitely plays the baby of the family card often. We will see how a new one affects that, lol I used the most attachment parenting with him so I sometimes wonder ifnthats why he's still so connected?
I'm so so excited about this new one. Can't wait to meet him/her. Can't wait to hold and nurse and cuddle..and to see how papa is with his first little one.

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:34 PM

Well, I'm really Mrs. Angel and well MrsAngelic is a playful way to say I'm always right and innocent. Even though I'm not. LOL

Efrat is a charity in Israel we support that helps prevent abortions by giving financial and emotional support to mothers-to-be. I'm a non-vaxing, UCing, nursing, homeschooling, mama so yeah there are some things I feel strongly about.

Agatha Christie books, cookbooks with great pictures, Agent Pendergast mysteries. Though I haven't read much lately because although I speed read I have a hard time putting the thing down once I start.

Caramel frappaccinos, announcing bedtime a whole half hour early  :o)

Israel

Relax a little!

I'm very motivated not to be my mother lol

Gabriel - 8 - Loves to talk and read. Really enjoys babies. Lego-crazy.

Uriah - 7 - Takes toys apart with anything he can turn into a screwdriver. Always asking how? and why?

Ayla - 5 - The Princess whose favorite color is blue. Commenting on the couscous we had at dinner: Does it come from couses?

Noah -3- He's the one pressing his mouth against the glass door behind me making people laugh when we're trying to have a serious adult conversation.

Azriel -1- A happy, albeit itchy, guy who has eczema and must be moisturized lots. His nickname is Nugget although I'm not sure why. 

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 PM

Frito pies

Coffee or Tea?

Both! Coffee is probably primary though.

I plan to dye my hair silver/gray. Maybe even in the near future just for kicks. Maybe I'd stop getting carded. 

No TV. Though my husband follows V and Heroes online so occasionally I will sit through it. But reading is so much quicker for me.

Soup - Hungarian mushroom

Sandwich - I don't get this whole having a cigarette after relations thing they portray in movies, I want a turkey sandwich with pesto and lots of guacamole! :o) 

Summer or winter? 

Summer! Looking forward to the family beach trip.

Nope, not a car singer. Do sing with my children though at home. 

Sunshine, Lollipops And Rainbows by Leslie Gore keeps randomly popping into my heard lately.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

Old 05-26-2011, 06:58 AM

I haven't been good about checking in at all, sorry! But I'll answer since I am here now~

It's a Indian name my father gave me. We are a tiny bit Lakota.

I take homelessness pretty seriously

Love to read. I just finished "Let's Take The Long way Home" It made me cry more than any book I have ever read.

during pregnancy? pizza and chocolate

bora bora

relax and enjoy figuring out who i was more

i work on providing my son with unconditional love, not something I felt growing up.

also I try really hard to show him patience

DS- Samuel (Sam) 21 month, super cutie, really starting to "talk" to us, we are having fun trying to decipher what he is saying. He;s full of energy and light, our only "battle" with him would be bedtime. He never wants to settle down for bed.

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 AM

hmmm, take out.

Coffee or Tea?

coffee

i would love to say with grace, but i am still covering it now with highlights/lowlights, so I guess that answers that

I very rarely watch tv, but i like to watch Grey Anatomy when I can

Broccoli cheese soup with a cucumber salad

Summer or winter? 

summer

no no singing in the car

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

Old 05-30-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Gah! Weeks going too fast! We've passed the end of this one, and I didn't get to ask the zillion follow-up questions that popped to mind as I read your answers. Thanks for giving us the chance to learn more about you all. It is lovely to learn more, especially when you don't post very often normally. (No pressure! I'm sure you have busy lives.)

Come join us on the next thread!

User Tag List